General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Number plates

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009 | 04:04 PM
MunkeyboyRS
Bananas!

Default Number plates

Hi all, Some may have read my post about fixing my car and gaining a suspected head gasket failure, well that wasn't the only down side to yesterday, some backed into my car and smashed the front number plate, well it was the original one, and after hunting all day, I can't get a replacement for the original dealership.
So been looking at getting a new set made, been a "show number plate" website. I made one up with standard font, and colour, but had badges on both sides of the plate, Rs logo, and a black bored all the way round, also my username from here on the bottom of the plate.
Am I asking for trouble or will i be oks?
Old 12-12-2009 | 06:26 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

its illegal.
Only badge you can have is GB or eng/wal/scot/irl. Also wont have the name of the place you bought it from at the bottom, which is compulsary.
You can give it a go, but don't moan if you get a tug
Old 12-12-2009 | 06:31 PM
TOMMY_RS
SHITE!

Originally Posted by Slamz
its illegal.
Only badge you can have is GB or eng/wal/scot/irl. Also wont have the name of the place you bought it from at the bottom, which is compulsary.
You can give it a go, but don't moan if you get a tug
why do the police need to no where you bought the number plate / car from lol?
Old 12-12-2009 | 07:30 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Yeah the law was changed again recently! The only thing you are allowed is gb/sco etc on the left hand side and a thin black border round the edge.
Old 12-12-2009 | 07:38 PM
BOBXR4X4
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by speedy-tom
why do the police need to no where you bought the number plate / car from lol?
They dont need to know where you bought the car they can probably just check their database for all that sort of info.After a certain date the name and postcode is supposed to be on the plates to show who made them,then if there not legal they know who made them and they can go after them,doubt if you will find this on a `show plate`
Keep looking through the web as sure there are places that make old dealer plates and sure I saw one advertised on the XROC bb a while ago,oh and having wrong type of plates only gives people the excuse to pull you over and then start checking on other things.

Last edited by BOBXR4X4; 12-12-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-12-2009 | 07:44 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Originally Posted by BOBXR4X4
They dont need to know where you bought the car they can probably just check their database for all that sort of info.After a certain date the name and postcode is supposed to be on the plates to show who made them,then if there not legal they know who made them and they can go after them,doubt if you will find this on a `show plate`
Keep looking through the web as sure there are places that make old dealer plates and sure I saw one advertised on the XROC bb a while ago,oh and having wrong type of plates only gives people the excuse to pull you over and then start checking on other things.

yup, theres no point risking apull over something so insignificant as a number plate.
Old 13-12-2009 | 01:55 PM
MunkeyboyRS
Bananas!

Cheers lads I think I'm going to give it a miss as someone has PM me offering a service of making a reproductions of the original ones.