General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mk3 Mondeo TDCi Poor MPG Updated

Search this Thread

Old 21-02-2010, 09:17 AM
mark_24v_wiring
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any chance of those voltage numbers please Tiff
Old 21-02-2010, 10:46 AM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry Mark.....my voltage tester is at work, thought it was here but it isnt......
Old 21-02-2010, 04:12 PM
mark_24v_wiring
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Ok mate never mind no probs
Old 23-02-2010, 12:10 AM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tiff, did you get my pm?
Old 06-12-2011, 06:54 PM
ni88les
Virgin

Default I have the same problems - But where is my EGR Valve?

Hi everyone, I'm really hoping after reading this entire thread that someone out there will be able to help.

About 7 months ago I bought a 2.0 Mondeo 130bhp Tdci Ghia X and have had no end of problems with it since. Aswell as all sorts of problems related to steering my main issue was that the injectors all had to be replaced cos the car was going into limp mode all the time, which cost me a small fortune but now since then it's been great until recently when i've noticed a massive reduction in mpg and also performance. Now don't get me wrong, the performance has never been great, in fact I got the injectors all re-callobrated not long after having them done cos i thought it should have been better but now it's really terrible. At its best when the injectors were done i was getting 37 combined and 42 on the motorway when cruising at 70-80mph, I thought that was still pretty poor but now i'm lucky to get 32 combined and 36 on the motorway, and as I said before the performace of the car has dropped too, it just doesn't have the ooomph that it used to have.

After reading this article, I looked under the bonnet for the EGR valve in the location acording to the photo but I can't find mine there at all, in fact I've no idea where it is. I'm really hoping that firstly it actually has one (lol) but also, that it's that that's causing all of this and removing it and cleaning all the shit out will solve all my issues.

If anyone can offer any advice on this including where it actually is on my model that would be brilliant.

Thanks

Ni88les
Old 06-12-2011, 07:23 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ni88les
Hi everyone, I'm really hoping after reading this entire thread that someone out there will be able to help.

About 7 months ago I bought a 2.0 Mondeo 130bhp Tdci Ghia X and have had no end of problems with it since. Aswell as all sorts of problems related to steering my main issue was that the injectors all had to be replaced cos the car was going into limp mode all the time, which cost me a small fortune but now since then it's been great until recently when i've noticed a massive reduction in mpg and also performance. Now don't get me wrong, the performance has never been great, in fact I got the injectors all re-callobrated not long after having them done cos i thought it should have been better but now it's really terrible. At its best when the injectors were done i was getting 37 combined and 42 on the motorway when cruising at 70-80mph, I thought that was still pretty poor but now i'm lucky to get 32 combined and 36 on the motorway, and as I said before the performace of the car has dropped too, it just doesn't have the ooomph that it used to have.

After reading this article, I looked under the bonnet for the EGR valve in the location acording to the photo but I can't find mine there at all, in fact I've no idea where it is. I'm really hoping that firstly it actually has one (lol) but also, that it's that that's causing all of this and removing it and cleaning all the shit out will solve all my issues.

If anyone can offer any advice on this including where it actually is on my model that would be brilliant.

Thanks

Ni88les

On some of the earlier models the EGR is round the back of the engine, (to the right) and is much more of a pain to get at. It will look like this You can still blank them off (I'd imagine yours will be a Euro3 if it's got a rear EGR) so I'd definitely recommend doing that and seeing if that makes any difference.

Also change the fuel filter (ONLY use a Ford one) as that can also cause a surprising number of issues. A good service, if one's due wouldn't go amiss. But yours does seem particularly poor MPG wise. Does your rear bumper get sooty above the tailpipe? As that's a sure sign that your fuelling's not right.

Also, are you sure it's a 130, as I've only seen 115s with rear EGRs?
Old 06-12-2011, 07:52 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

the steering issue is down to a worn nut in the column, replaced with a torx bolt me thinks, but there are plenty of threads about them here somewhere too
Old 06-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
the steering issue is down to a worn nut in the column, replaced with a torx bolt me thinks, but there are plenty of threads about them here somewhere too
What nuts that mate? only my ST steering is heavy when going left but is fine after a few miles

Brian
Old 06-12-2011, 09:24 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

http://www.talkford.com/topic/107569...ing-look-here/

post 15, with pics
Old 07-12-2011, 06:27 AM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
cheer's mate, have already greased the steering shaft but still the same am thinking now it could be the steering UJ? or possible the fluid?

Brian
Old 07-12-2011, 06:54 AM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My VW is suffering from loss in MPG right down to low 30's for short distance urban driving, not over bad but not as good as it should be for a chipped 115PD

Going to remove the EGR and see what it's like, if it's bad then i'll do the inlet too but unsure if it's worth blocking the ERG off as a couple of plates and job done but what effect does it have on the car running them blocked off?

Cheers
Old 07-12-2011, 11:03 AM
ni88les
Virgin

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
On some of the earlier models the EGR is round the back of the engine, (to the right) and is much more of a pain to get at. It will look like this You can still blank them off (I'd imagine yours will be a Euro3 if it's got a rear EGR) so I'd definitely recommend doing that and seeing if that makes any difference.

Also change the fuel filter (ONLY use a Ford one) as that can also cause a surprising number of issues. A good service, if one's due wouldn't go amiss. But yours does seem particularly poor MPG wise. Does your rear bumper get sooty above the tailpipe? As that's a sure sign that your fuelling's not right.

Also, are you sure it's a 130, as I've only seen 115s with rear EGRs?

Thanks for the advice... Actually, no i'm not 100% certain it's a 130, although when i first got it, prior to it having the injectors changed it was extremely responsive so I had no cause to think it wasn't. I havnen't seen any soot deposits around the rear bumper and there is no smoke (since the injectors were done). It probably could do with a service so I will ensure that the fuel filter is changed when I get that done. Funnily enough, the EGR valve was blanked off by the person who I bought the car off, when the injectors were replaced (G-Diesels in Hucknall) he un-blanked it.... I thought there could be bad repercussions of doing that?

Thanks again.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:10 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

No, there aren't really any downsides to blanking it, if you suspect it could be causing issues, then blanking it can rule it out.

I don't get great MPG on mine (average 36mpg) but most of my driving is along country lanes and in traffic.

If you PM me your numberplate I can check if it's a 115, or 130.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by liarco2001
Hi mate i have a focus tdci 115 that is displayin similar symptoms. Was gettin 48 to 52 mpg then all of a sudden its dropped to between 37 and 43 no matter how i drive. What was it you did exactly? I know your engine will be slightly different to mine but any help would be greatly appreciated as i do nearly 3000 miles a month and its started costing me a fortune. Many thanks. Al
Mines the same, poor mpg, it used to do 50 - 55 I can't get above 50 now.

It's had full service.

The only fault is sometimes when you nail it it seems to hang back other times it just takes off!

It's a woory when you overtake something then it looses the boost and backs off.

No smoke though
Old 20-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Steve_g_1979
Virgin

Default Valve on back of Mondeo MK3 TDCI Waterpump

Hello,

I have just picked up on an old post of yours.

Sometimes my temperature needles wanders a little below centre and then sometimes fades down to the 1/4 mark. I have also had occasions where the car goes into limp more and the needle drops out completely as if the car was turned off.

Does this sound anything like the water value you mentioned?

Originally Posted by James
your sure?

the old mondeo uses pretty basic electronics and i was told it wasn't possible to change wheel size details?

re mpg, keep an eye on the temp gauge. when upto temp it should sit dead central and hardly ever move. theres a valve on the back of the waterpump which plays up, it's only about £10 and this creates too much flow around the systems when it breaks so the engine never gets upto temp!