General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

child restraints for 6 month old, taxi driver says just hold em!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:03 PM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default child restraints for 6 month old, taxi driver says just hold em!

as above is this true, apparently a few taxi drivers have said it to my missus when she takes the little un to mothers and toddlers? Surely thats not legal?

Oh.....she always takes his car seat, maybe thats why they said it??
Old 01-12-2009, 09:13 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Against the law to have any child unrestrained

Steve
Old 01-12-2009, 09:16 PM
snoopaloopa
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If a taxi driver said that to me I'd report them, idiots!!!
Pretty sure everyone travelling in a car has to have a restraint by law. Sounds like they can't be arsed messing about with a child seat but all they have to do is sit there for a minute longer while the mother puts it in.
I seem to remember we wern't allowed to bring ours home from the hospital until we could show them we had the corect car seat, seemed to be standard practice.
Even on an aeroplane my little boy was sat on my lap but had extra restraints that fitted on to my lap belt.

Last edited by snoopaloopa; 01-12-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:17 PM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

thats what i thought but look at this.

Taxis, public transport and airports
Question: Will taxi drivers be required to ensure that a child is restrained appropriately?
As of 11 March 2010, a taxi driver will be exempt from ensuring that children up to the age of seven are restrained, whether in an approved child restraint or adult seatbelt. If however, an appropriate child restraint is available for use in the taxi, the taxi driver must ensure that it is used. A child under the age of seven must not be seated in the front row of seats in a taxi.

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/reso...22_sept_09.pdf
Old 01-12-2009, 09:20 PM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

i took this to mean they dont have the responsibility, obviously the parent does but;

Question: I am picking someone up at the airport and they have a young child. Do I need a child restraint?
Yes, it is the driver's responsibility to ensure child restraints are fitted and used correctly. If the visitor cannot bring their own child restraint, a child restraint can be hired. If they choose to use a taxi, they do not need to use a child restraint, however it is advised that a child restraint is always used unless in an emergency.

Last edited by cutch; 01-12-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Mungus

I work in transport for local government involving school kids.

The legislation was brought in in Sept 2006 for boosters - which are mandatory and endorsable on drivers using privat vehicles. i.e mum & dad in their Ford Focus

Such as the demand on the booster seats created just for this, this legislation hasnt yet included taxi's, coaches or minibuses - therefore not yet enforced by law.

The argument is that without a booster (which they are not obliged to provide), the damage the seat belt could leave in an accident on an 'undeveloped' child/body could be worse that if they were not belted, or restrained on mums lap.

Madness I know... the answer is for the moment that if you know your going to have a journey in a taxi in advance, take your own booster!

HTH's

Huw
Old 01-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Smiggy

Originally Posted by cossie4i
Against the law to have any child unrestrained
Originally Posted by snoopaloopa
If a taxi driver said that to me I'd report them, idiots!!!
Know the Law!!!

I run a taxi/private hire and we are exempt.

Although if a parent is getting in taxi with their own car seat then we are obliged to use it as long as it can be fitted securely with minimal disruption to the car. ie we don't need to start pulling seats apart etc. Although most seats now have ISO fitments as do all new cars so it isn't much of a problem

Last edited by Smiggy; 01-12-2009 at 09:42 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 01-12-2009, 09:39 PM
snoopaloopa

Don't forget the law on child seats changes again next year! I believe booster seats will not be allowed unless fitted with a backrest until the child is 12 years old, probably a bit more to it than that but I havn't looked right into it yet
So its pretty much saying that its the parents responsibility, fair enough, just seems a bit strange to have an exemption on restraints, pretty sure most people think, like me, that everyone in a car should be restrianed.

Last edited by snoopaloopa; 01-12-2009 at 09:40 PM.