General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

4year old Mauled By Dog...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Neil@FastFord
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullett

ive never hit mine at all but the minute they put a foot out of line they get put down by the scruff,just like the mum does! its what they understand. they chill pretty much straight away
Totally one of the best techinques!!

Do this when i have to also. At first she would struggle a little and then accept it, now she knows, understands and just goes limp. Gives me a little look to say, i have learnt my lesson Boss. It's like "oooh shit, i've oversteeped the mark with the Big Dogg again"

Much better than an ass whipping, hitting the nose and all the other things peopel do to try and get discapline
Old 02-12-2009, 01:17 PM
mynew2
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kniterider
learn something new everyday.

what was the idea behind the bulls then? were they there to fight bulls or was it used as a farmers tool?

to tell you the truth i dont know i will find out tonight, as a friend of mine is a dog trainer and he told me about it and the lock jaw.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:20 PM
mynew2
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Neil@FastFord

Do this when i have to also. At first she would struggle a little and then accept it, now she knows, understands and just goes limp. Gives me a little look to say, i have learnt my lesson Boss. It's like "oooh shit, i've oversteeped the mark with the Big Dogg again"

Much better than an ass whipping, hitting the nose and all the other things peopel do to try and get discapline
never tried that, what i do if she steps out of line is get her by the coller look her in the eyes and in a deep voice tell her no, then her ears go down as to say shit i am in trouble.

I have never agreed with hitting the dog if they do wrong, and the other mistake i use to make is chaseing her round the room to get her, as they think it is a game so i stoped that.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Neil@FastFord
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It really works mate, it is a good way of getting the result, the dog soon learns it has fucked up, and as Bullet says, it is just like what the mother would do.

With stronger or more headstrong dogs you sometimes have to go further than saying no
Old 02-12-2009, 01:36 PM
mynew2
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by kniterider
learn something new everyday.

what was the idea behind the bulls then? were they there to fight bulls or was it used as a farmers tool?

just a bit of info i got of the net for you

Before the nineteenth century, bloodsports such as bull baiting, bear baiting and cock fighting were common. Bulls brought to market were set upon by dogs as a way of tenderizing the meat and providing entertainment for the spectators; and dog fights with bears, bulls and other animals were often organized as entertainment for both royalty and commoners. Early Bull and Terriers were not bred for the handsome visual specimen of today, rather they were bred for the characteristic known as gameness. The pitting of dogs against bear or bull tested the gameness, strength and skill of the dog. These early "proto-staffords" provided the ancestral foundation stock for the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, the Bull Terrier, the American Pit Bull Terrier and American Staffordshire Terrier. This common ancestor was known as the "Bull and Terrier".
These bloodsports were officially eliminated in 1835 as Britain began to introduce animal welfare laws. Since dogfights were cheaper to organize and far easier to conceal from the law than bull or bear baits, bloodsport proponents turned to pitting their dogs against each other instead. Dog fighting was used as both a bloodsport (often involving gambling) and a way to continue to test the quality of their stock. For decades afterward, dog fighting clandestinely took place in pockets of working-class Britain and America. Dogs were released into a pit, and the last dog still fighting (or occasionally, the last dog surviving) was recognized as the winner. The quality of pluckiness or "gameness" was still highly prized, and dogs that gave up during a fight were reviled as "curs". As an important aside, fighting dogs were often handled in the pit during fights, by both their owners and the judge, so were bred to be as trustworthy with humans as they were aggressive towards other dogs
Old 02-12-2009, 01:38 PM
mynew2
Regular Contributor

It really works mate, it is a good way of getting the result, the dog soon learns it has fucked up, and as Bullet says, it is just like what the mother would do.

With stronger or more headstrong dogs you sometimes have to go further than saying no

I will have to try that i think as i can see why after what you said about the mother.

so you just pin them down by there neck untill they stop trying to get out, and then tell them no?
Old 02-12-2009, 01:41 PM
kniterider
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by mynew2
just a bit of info i got of the net for you

Before the nineteenth century, bloodsports such as bull baiting, bear baiting and cock fighting were common. Bulls brought to market were set upon by dogs as a way of tenderizing the meat and providing entertainment for the spectators; and dog fights with bears, bulls and other animals were often organized as entertainment for both royalty and commoners. Early Bull and Terriers were not bred for the handsome visual specimen of today, rather they were bred for the characteristic known as gameness. The pitting of dogs against bear or bull tested the gameness, strength and skill of the dog. These early "proto-staffords" provided the ancestral foundation stock for the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, the Bull Terrier, the American Pit Bull Terrier and American Staffordshire Terrier. This common ancestor was known as the "Bull and Terrier".
These bloodsports were officially eliminated in 1835 as Britain began to introduce animal welfare laws. Since dogfights were cheaper to organize and far easier to conceal from the law than bull or bear baits, bloodsport proponents turned to pitting their dogs against each other instead. Dog fighting was used as both a bloodsport (often involving gambling) and a way to continue to test the quality of their stock. For decades afterward, dog fighting clandestinely took place in pockets of working-class Britain and America. Dogs were released into a pit, and the last dog still fighting (or occasionally, the last dog surviving) was recognized as the winner. The quality of pluckiness or "gameness" was still highly prized, and dogs that gave up during a fight were reviled as "curs". As an important aside, fighting dogs were often handled in the pit during fights, by both their owners and the judge, so were bred to be as trustworthy with humans as they were aggressive towards other dogs
cheers mate thanks for that, i knew about it buut didnt realise pit bulls etc were bread specifically for that.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Neil@FastFord
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Pretty much.

My Bulldog is getting stronger now and is able to resist a little if i just grab her scruff, so to do it quick i have mastered sweeping her leg! lol

But basically, i grab the scruff and pin her as smooth and as quickly as i can. I just make sure she is flat on her side, she has to stay there like that until calm.

First couple of times she would try and struggle, don't let your dog win and your alright, its really easy. Feels better getting a result from that, than trying to toe-peck her one up the arse!

I use it if say, we have been playing and she has jumped up or something or being really giddy with a guest etc. A quick pin and she automatically knows its calm down time.

Works wonders, they understand.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:48 PM
kniterider
PassionFord Regular

Pretty much.

My Bulldog is getting stronger now and is able to resist a little if i just grab her scruff, so to do it quick i have mastered sweeping her leg! lol

But basically, i grab the scruff and pin her as smooth and as quickly as i can. I just make sure she is flat on her side, she has to stay there like that until calm.

First couple of times she would try and struggle, don't let your dog win and your alright, its really easy. Feels better getting a result from that, than trying to toe-peck her one up the arse!

I use it if say, we have been playing and she has jumped up or something or being really giddy with a guest etc. A quick pin and she automatically knows its calm down time.

i do a similar with my dogs, if they go for a dog for no reason (usually only when the boy is out with the girl and are o leads aas he protects her) he gets a shake (hand son fur as its long just behind the ears) and a good telling off. if playing and he gets a bit to OTT i push him so he falls onto his side and pin him by his neck (not gripping hqard at all just pushing so he cant get up) until he calms down, il then put my face near his (not advisable with unpredictable dogs!!!!) and let him lick my cheek once then il let him up and he's fine. he does love rough n tumble tho but he barks the house down wen you play with him lol
Old 02-12-2009, 01:50 PM
mynew2
Regular Contributor

Pretty much.

haha i have mental pics now of you leg sweeping your dog

no i am deff going to try that, with regards to the guests and jumping what we do is we use a water bottle if they start going to mad and jumping all we have to do is pick up the water bottle and they know to stop
Old 02-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Neil@FastFord
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Good stuff, so many decent ways to make things work without beatings.

Lol, i sweep her leg with my spare hand, i don't get all Bruce Lee on her! lol
Old 02-12-2009, 02:08 PM
BDBCOS
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

I am amazed when people say their dog wouldnt hurt a fly. these dogs that kill and injure people are probably doing so for the first time. Dogs that are capable of killing or seriously injuring anyone should be outlawed and destroyed without question. Neighbours should report anyone keeping illegal breeds and make sure that the authorities act upon this information. Perhaps then we will all be spared the repeated shock of hearing of more attacks. Anyone not agreeing with my post should put themselves or their families in the victims position , which might make them see sense.

Last edited by BDBCOS; 02-12-2009 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Small correction
Old 02-12-2009, 02:26 PM
OldDan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by BDBCOS
I am amazed when people say their dog wouldnt hurt a fly. these dogs that kill and injure people are probably doing so for the first time. Dogs that are capable of killing or seriously injuring anyone should be outlawed and destroyed without question. Neighbours should report anyone keeping illegal breeds and make sure that the authorities act upon this information. Perhaps then we will all be spared the repeated shock of hearing of more attacks. Anyone not agreeing with my post should put themselves or their families in the victims position , which might make them see sense.
Go away you misguided prick.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:29 PM
kniterider
PassionFord Regular

so you want to ban every single dog there is then? good call you'l go far!
Old 02-12-2009, 02:32 PM
baba
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by OldDan
Not missing a single thing. It is ALL down to the owners regardless of what dog it is.

But you carry on with your attitude that labs are this and that and good family dogs and you might get caught out.

totally agree with you word for word mate!!
Old 02-12-2009, 02:54 PM
baba

what a total prick you are.every dog is capable of injuring or killing just the very same as every human is capable of snapping and killing.its just sum humans have more control and dont revert to those methods.just the same as a well trained loved dog wont.
i presume youve never went above the speed limit endangering others should there be a blow-out etc?
Old 02-12-2009, 03:07 PM
gaz s1
Advanced PassionFord User

Christ is this still going, staffies are brilliant with kids, i know of at least 6 apart from mine who are with families with kids under 6 and they are all brilliant due to the fact they are little kids themselves,, you who are slating them google and read and dont go on media bullshit!!!.

And if you want a staff to drop something touch the back of their jaw as there is a nerve and they will release instantly or better still just train them

My mum had the same attitude as some peeps on here after what happened with the labrador and i said i was getting a staffie but now she has seen bella with the kids and how she plays and cuddles up to them she now has seen for herself what a brilliant family dog they are

Ive had dogs all my life and after owning a staff i wouldnt have any other breed they really are a wonderful loving family dog
Old 02-12-2009, 03:13 PM
mynew2
Regular Contributor

that is the biggest load of bollocks i have ever heard, I bet 9 out of 10 people that saw there dog would not hurt a fly still wont leave a kid on its own with it, i know for a fact that my youngest staff would not hurt any one he is to stupid to do it, but i would still not leave it alone with a kid.

just like most people you are blaming the dog with out knowing the facts, how do you know the kid did not do something or even hurt the dog???? we dont as you will never hear the whole side of the story

and yes i have been bitten by a dog when i was younger and it was our own dog, but it was my own fault i hurt the dog and it was protecting itself, but that did not make me think all dogs are bad.

But i still fail to see your point
Old 02-12-2009, 03:15 PM
longdog
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by gaz s1
Christ is this still going, staffies are brilliant with kids, i know of at least 6 apart from mine who are with families with kids under 6 and they are all brilliant due to the fact they are little kids themselves,, you who are slating them google and read and dont go on media bullshit!!!.

And if you want a staff to drop something touch the back of their jaw as there is a nerve and they will release instantly or better still just train them

My mum had the same attitude as some peeps on here after what happened with the labrador and i said i was getting a staffie but now she has seen bella with the kids and how she plays and cuddles up to them she now has seen for herself what a brilliant family dog they are

Ive had dogs all my life and after owning a staff i wouldnt have any other breed they really are a wonderful loving family dog
That just made me laugh, as it true. lol
Old 02-12-2009, 03:55 PM
slim20012

Gotta say i love the way these threads bring out the handfull of narrow minded plebs
Old 02-12-2009, 04:07 PM
gaz s1

Originally Posted by slim20012
Gotta say i love the way these threads bring out the handfull of narrow minded plebs
I know mate staffs are a nasty breed, ignorance is bliss
Old 02-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Shell

Red face

I have a 18month old Boxer, which is another type of the so called aggressive breeds...

He too is harmless...

There is also a pug which comes to visit every now and again and for about a month we kept them away as i was worried about what the Bandit (Boxer) would do as he is brilliant with people but i thought with it being another dog his animal instinct may come out more... Turns out this wasnt the case at all... he was perfect with the Winston (pug) just playful, it was Winston who was doing all the attacking!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmofguIwEgg

Winston is my sisters boyfriends dog and he is cuddled all the time and rarely trained... he bites/growls/barks all the time and goes for you if you try to take his food off him... problem is, if he goes for you Winston just gets picked up... if Bandit or any other 'bully' type dog was like that i would have had him taken off me... its only down to Winstons size that he has neer done any real damage and this is just a pug... the type of dog everyones girlfriends want cos they are 'sooooo cute'? Ha ha as said previously... its the way they are trained... NOT the dog breed!!

x
Old 02-12-2009, 06:13 PM
220tel
PassionFord Regular

this whole post by staffy owner could have been posted by myself even down to the age
i have had bull terrier's and staffs since i left home at 17 my 3 kids have grown up with them and are now aged 14-16 and 18
we have just recently got another two they are the most faithful dog you will ever meet

no dog of any breed should be left with children especially in strange surroundings or an unusual situation

the dog pictured in the sun today which is supposed to be the dog that attacked does not look anything like a pit

rip the little fella that has lost his life

Originally Posted by STAFFY OWNER
Firstly let me say what has happened is a terrible shame and my heart goes out to his family regardless of who is to blame as an ignorant owner shouldn't have to pay such a high price for their ignorance.
Secondly, it makes my blood boil when people automatically start slagging off Staffordshire bull terriers when something like this happens. I have been around Staffs for most of my life (i'm now 42 so i'm not a novice) and in that time i have never heard of a responsibly owned and trained SBT attacking a person. Often the so called Staffs that have attacked people are due to the shortcomings of the pieces of shit at the other end of the lead. When i bought my SBT i went to a recommended responsible breeder, went to dozens of Staff dog shows to talk to the breeders and once i was happy with my choice i waited until that breeder was breeding, i didn't just pick up the local paper and buy blindly. Also whilst at these dog shows there would often be upwards of 50 Staffs in the hall and again i never saw one harm or even snap at a person. The lady that we bought him from has now become a good friend and each year we go to Crufts to support her, at Crufts the SBT is the largest terrier group showing and often the best behaved but it all come down to the fact that this is because the dogs at the shows are owned by responsible owners and their dogs have been raised in a responsible manner.
How many people on here who have slagged off the SBT breed have any first hand experience of them - not just what you have read in the papers but an opinion that you can base on personal experience. I'm not so blinkered that i don't think a Staff has ever attacked a person because they have but can you name me a breed that hasn't?
Also why is it that other dog owners are quick to blame SBT owners when their dogs are often the original aggressors. All of these people saying how loving labradors are talking out their arses. A few years ago i was walking my dads Staff down a quiet country lane (he was on his lead) whe a woman with 3 labs came towards us and one of them turned and snapped at Jake and had his nose in its mouth, it didn't let go until i smacked it around the head and she had the nerve to tell me to control my dog, my partner who was with me at the time couldn't believe what this woman had just said. I can honestly say that i have had more problems from other dog owners than my dog has ever caused to them.
As i close this post i know that a lot of you will say that i am biased towards the breed but do a bit of research for yourselves before slagging me off and you will find that they are an excellent family pet even if you have got kids and are totally loyal as long as they no their place in the family but that comes down to responsible ownership. I never have to hit my dog, when he steps out of line my tone of voice or even a look will let him no to correct himself.
By the way if any chavs happen to read this you have chosen the wrong breed as they are useless guard dogs and are not as fearless as they are made out to be so do us all a favour and crawl back to your street corner or local shopping precinct and leave this fantastic breed alone.

I now open the flood gates to criticism and i am open to debate but please make sure that you are sure of what you are saying as any reckless bitching will just be ignored lol.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:23 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Pretty much.

might try that with mine, Ive tried grabbing him by the scruff before and keeping him still but that tends to put him into a frenzy. I reckon having him on his side aswell will give the upper hand hes no bother as a rule but when new people come to the house he goes loopy
Old 02-12-2009, 06:29 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 206 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by S1 JOHN S1
Mate are u missing the point there?

Because 1 (Your's) or even 20 of them are soft make's them all soft as whole breed i don't think so pal
So if just a few of the so called evil killer breeds hurts someone then the thousands of others in these breeds are all killers???????????
Old 02-12-2009, 06:37 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Somebody else with decent input,

My mother was terrified off bull terriers (prob thanks to all the media crap), we got our bull terrier over 5 years ago, she now adores them, loves ours and has no fear of them whatsoever, if trained correctly and kept inline they are superb

I will add that staffys are even better, all I've encountered are great with children, very obedient and intelligent, however unfortunatly some of the owners arn't, I do feel that its is also not fair to brand anyone in a track suit with a bull breed as a chav, as I have witnessed some very well trained dogs with lads under 21
Old 02-12-2009, 06:41 PM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 220tel
this whole post by staffy owner could have been posted by myself even down to the age
i have had bull terrier's and staffs since i left home at 17 my 3 kids have grown up with them and are now aged 14-16 and 18
we have just recently got another two they are the most faithful dog you will ever meet

no dog of any breed should be left with children especially in strange surroundings or an unusual situation

the dog pictured in the sun today which is supposed to be the dog that attacked does not look anything like a pit

rip the little fella that has lost his life
You believe whats said in The Scum?

Iagree with the lock jaw on staffs, it is a myth. It is all down to their powerful jaw.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:43 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Our vets told us that bull breeds have nothing in there jaw allowing it to lock, its just choosing not to release
Old 02-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i have a pit bull breader living next door to me, they are known to police for various things and ive reported them to the rspca who just ask me 'how do you know its a pit bull'

i have reported them to the police a few times which even resulted in them having 2 dogs taken from them for cruelty and guess what?

they have more dogs again now.
they are breeding them again.

they are red nose pits. i worry about it so much as i have 2 young children and worry that the dogs will go for my kids whilst the dogs are being walked.

we have reported the owners so many times but nothing is done.

its driving me nuts. hearing about this tragic 4yr olds death has only fueld my fears and concerns of these idiots next door owning and breeding these dogs
Old 02-12-2009, 09:17 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by twinkle_2k86
Rip to the little fella.

I read there seem to be a mixed view on whos to blame. Its not the dog IMO. it falls on 2 other people.

1. the owner. they haven`t brought the dog up properly from when they got him/her. all dogs no matter what breed needs alot of constant work to keep them in there place.

2- the breeder also should take blame. Most of these sort after breed are over breed, to make money. And when over bred they become defective, and there true temperment goes out the window, hence the aggressive dog.

When i was younger, we had a golden retreaver as out family dog. We went for that breed as they are spose to be good nature dogs (as we where kids) and easyer to train. Found out in the end, the dog was bred at a puppy farm, and um and dad where over bred. Our dog had the nastyest streek to him. When it came to toys and dinner time, he would turn into a dog you were so scared of. snaling, snaping etc. proper nasty. He would pin you in the corner of a room no problem.
We trained him properly, classes etc, had him castrated, and nothing carmed him down. He could never be trusted around kids, but 99% of the time he was a soppy old dog you could cuddle, play with etc.

We our looking at getting a dog in a few years time, when kids are older and can tell the dog orders etc so the dog knows his place in the family. We have found it so hard to find a good breeder, and the ones we have, have long waitings list.
Hi mate,

Can i offer you and anybody else who is thinking of buying a dog of whatever breed some advice. Before you buy make sure that a dog fits in with your lifestyle and house (for example if you live in a block of flats you will find it more difficult to house train a young puppy than if you had easy acces to a garden). Also make sure that the breed of dog fits in with your lifestyle - don't get a breed that needs lots of exercise if you can't fulfil that need.

Only buy from a recommended breeder and if possible someone that shows the parents (dog & bitch) of the puppy you hope to buy. Show dogs usually have excellent temperaments as they are very well socialised with other dogs and people. Also when the judge checks the dog over he will run his hands all over the dogs body and also check its teeth so the animal is used to being touched and handled by strangers and adopts this as the norm.

If possible attend dog shows of the breed type that you are interested in and talk to the breeders and other owners, you will soon start to hear the same names crop up regarding which breeders are likely to provide the best pups and once you are happy you have found the correct breeder stick with them. I made my mind up which breeder i wanted a puppy from a few years ago at the end of December but didn't get the pup until mid October the following year. Yes, i could have quite easily thought "Sod it there's plenty of Staffs for sale in the local rags, i'll get one of them and save myself the wait" but i'm bloody glad i didn't as the dog i got was worth the wait and i can't fault his temperament or manners (ok so he farts a lot - some might say we were made for each other).

When i was looking there were, and still are, so many ropey looking SBTs out there (honestly some of them looked more like crossbreeds and in fact often are) so in order to get a dog that met the breed standard in appearance and behaviour that a true Stafford should exhibit i bought from a breeder that shows her dogs all the way up to Crufts standard and it definately paid off. Also if you talk to the owners at the shows they are, 99% of the time, responsible in their attitude to dog ownership and only want to see their chosen breed portrayed in a favourable light and for that simple reason they will alway give you the best advice in order to promote the breed positively.

By the way, i don't know if any of you saw the program a few weeks ago called Wonderland (it may still be on the BBC iPlayer facility) but that showed exactly the type of SBT breeder that you don't want to have anything to do with as she had't got a clue and neither had her friend who was guiding her through the birth of the pups through to the locating of owners for the pups. They were typical chavs and did the breed no justice at all. I urge you to watch it if possible just so you know what type of breeder to avoid.

Hope this has helped you and any others that may be looking to get a dog as a pet in the future.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:39 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by S1 JOHN S1
Loving the reply's cheeRS it is sorta opening my eye's a little

But boot a lab and it will run Boot a staff it aint going anywhere

As said bigger yes but stronger NO Size isn't an issue it's the raw power i am talking about And they have plenty of it .

Each to there own i wouldn't own there all u hear about ppl death's and dog's it's the same sort of dog's that seem to be doing it

So i'll stick to a golden lab when i get one Proper family dog lol.

CheeRS for the link's always nice to learn to summat new
To be honest and no offence intended but i don't think that you have learnt anything new as you still seem pretty blinkered in your outlook towards the bull breeds. There is nothing wrong with a well trained, responsibly owned Stafford, in fact you won't find a better suited family dog but as i think i said in my first post, don't just take my word for it, do some research on them. How many other breeds have earned the nickname the nanny dog - they are known for their loyalty to children.

Next time the press report an attack by a "pitbull type dog" please do not automatically jump to the conclusion that it's a Stafford as most ill informed people do as this is unfair to the breed and the thousands of decent owners out there. (This last paragraph is not aimed at you S1 JOHN it's just my general feeling for the benefit of anybody who may be guilty of doing so).
Old 02-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

hitting the nose destroys the cells in the nose which in turns takes their sense of smell sensitivity down.

the scruff treatment and a sharp AHh AHH is what i use.mine are a very stubborn and strong breed so you need to be in charge or you are in trouble
Old 02-12-2009, 10:02 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by mynew2
never tried that, what i do if she steps out of line is get her by the coller look her in the eyes and in a deep voice tell her no, then her ears go down as to say shit i am in trouble.

I have never agreed with hitting the dog if they do wrong, and the other mistake i use to make is chaseing her round the room to get her, as they think it is a game so i stoped that.
Hi mate, personally i wouldn't look a dog in the eyes when you are disciplining it unless you trust it 100% as a dog takes direct eye contact as a threat and may decide to snap if it feels threatened. It may work for you (fortunately) but i wouldn't advise it as a technique. A well trained dog can be disciplined by use of voice tone/pitch only. My dog (SBT) hates being caught out in the rain when he is on a walk and will pull to get home so when i use a firm monotone voice to him to stop pulling he knows he is in the wrong and will start to lick my hand or anything else such as my face just to try to get in my good books again. Similarly when i use a more friendlier tone he knows that i am pleased with his behaviour and again is eager to lick to show his appreciation - eitherway with a well trained dog the owner is in a win/win situation as he/she just wants to please you.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Neil@FastFord
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Oh i know pal, never like seeing people do it.

Yeah, you do it right with yours. I considered them when i had pretty much given up on getting a healthy Bulldog and i had to dismiss them due to the exercise needs.

Someone said earlier, that you shouldn't get them if you can't give them the excersie they need. Giving mine a 25min walk and a play with her toys does me fine. Dunno how you cope with your two! But i always admire the way your doin' it Neil.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by STAFFY OWNER
Hi mate, personally i wouldn't look a dog in the eyes when you are disciplining it unless you trust it 100% as a dog takes direct eye contact as a threat and may decide to snap if it feels threatened. It may work for you (fortunately) but i wouldn't advise it as a technique. A well trained dog can be disciplined by use of voice tone/pitch only. My dog (SBT) hates being caught out in the rain when he is on a walk and will pull to get home so when i use a firm monotone voice to him to stop pulling he knows he is in the wrong and will start to lick my hand or anything else such as my face just to try to get in my good books again. Similarly when i use a more friendlier tone he knows that i am pleased with his behaviour and again is eager to lick to show his appreciation - eitherway with a well trained dog the owner is in a win/win situation as he/she just wants to please you.
i agree with the face to face thing.although i have never backed away from my two.and have been face to face when having to tell them off.
i am always aware of risks though and although i trust them with me i would never take it for granted.
staffs are really easy to train and are so so loyal.mine are a mission.the are head strong and born to pull so its hard to train out.and tbh i dont mind to much as they arent allowed off lead so it exercises them and me more

Oh i know pal, never like seeing people do it.

Yeah, you do it right with yours. I considered them when i had pretty much given up on getting a healthy Bulldog and i had to dismiss them due to the exercise needs.

Someone said earlier, that you shouldn't get them if you can't give them the excersie they need. Giving mine a 25min walk and a play with her toys does me fine. Dunno how you cope with your two! But i always admire the way your doin' it Neil.
neil,i have put many off owning them due to people not being aware of the whole story.we was out for 30 mins this evening alone in heavy rain,was soaked through but they need the walk no matter what.they get a minimum of one hour a day.and days off are 2 or more hours depending.they do need alot of exercise,disapline and most important ROUTINE.
i love them to bits and wouldnt be without but they take alot of work and a firm owner who isnt afraid of them. and cheers for the compliment
Old 02-12-2009, 10:30 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Agree totally mate . When my partner and i decided to get a dog i told her that there was only one breed that i would have as i had been brought up with Staffs most of my life. She was a little nervous about this as she had the same attitude that a lot of people have who have no first hand experience of them but i managed to sway her (she had always been brought up with spaniels and labradors and other nice politically correct 'family' breeds). She now adores our dog Dempsey and has said herself that she will never have any other breed. I managed to persuade her but the dog is the one that converted her.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:46 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by mar_k
i have a pit bull breader living next door to me, they are known to police for various things and ive reported them to the rspca who just ask me 'how do you know its a pit bull'

i have reported them to the police a few times which even resulted in them having 2 dogs taken from them for cruelty and guess what?

they have more dogs again now.
they are breeding them again.

they are red nose pits. i worry about it so much as i have 2 young children and worry that the dogs will go for my kids whilst the dogs are being walked.

we have reported the owners so many times but nothing is done.

its driving me nuts. hearing about this tragic 4yr olds death has only fueld my fears and concerns of these idiots next door owning and breeding these dogs
Whilst it is not illegal to own a pitbull it is very illegal to breed them. This law was brought in in the early nineties i think, so that the breed would die out naturally so in theory any pitbull around today should be at least 17/18 years old (highly unlikely) unless bred illegally.
If you have serious concerns about your neighbour i would report them to the police again now as i doubt if they would dare to fail to investigate and be in the same position as the other police force is currently in. You could also write to your local MP and tell him/her about your concerns and explain that you feel nothing is being done.
If you are proved wrong and the dogs are not pitbulls you will have peace of mind, if it turns out that they are pitbulls then hopefully the police will take the necessary action as these types of breeders do no favours to the responsible breeders of legal breeds.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thanks for the advice mate,
they are 100% pitbull,

the owner/breeder openly admits what breed they are, i cant understand how he is allowed to keep dogs now after the last ones where taken from him by the authorities
Old 03-12-2009, 06:31 PM
slim20012

I know mate staffs are a nasty breed, ignorance is bliss
WTF you are taking the piss yeah ????
Old 03-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

I think dogs are only as good as its been taurt.If your nasty to a dog it will be nasty back.

Quick Reply: 4year old Mauled By Dog...