General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

YUM Cossie VS Si B Evo TORQUE CURVES NOW ADDED PAGE 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Danny @ Enhanced Performance
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Its Dave
At the end of the day have 2 set of figures, engine dyno and rolling road

Now im sure if l had of kept YUM mark could of got me very close to the engine dyno figures in the car when we was going to have a crack at 200 plus the benefit of some race fuel as well

I decided to to have the figures from what it was running on the road, if we had turned up boost we may of had transmission problems as it was only a Bara box and a 7" Quaife rear diff and all my transmission was sold at the time of the rollers

I would of not wanted anymore than 500bhp at the wheels, anyone that has had 500bhp at the wheels will tell you its bloody fast!!!! Maybe to fast for the road.

Cheers
yes i agree 500+ @ wheels is awesome no matter what (i have 528 at the rear wheels at mo) and yes probably to much for the roads...
as said dave i wasnt digging you or your car as iv always thought the engine was great power...
cheers danny
Old 03-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Chip
Not sure who that comment was aimed at.

If it was me, then I disagree Im not looking for an argument at all, Im merely correcting what I believe to be innacurate info, I suspect that Danny believes that is what he is doing too.

If people dont want to read it because such discussions dont interest them then they dont need to, but at least in both cases we are doing our best to be constructive, where as your comment is nothing other than insulting and brings nothing of value to the discussion at all IMHO.

Be a boring world if we all thought the same thing though anyway!
no not at you dude

its a great topic and one i was enjoying, until people are just looking for an argument,

it's ok,

i'll leave this topic now
Old 03-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by b19 dfp
yes i agree 500+ @ wheels is awesome no matter what (i have 528 at the rear wheels at mo) and yes probably to much for the roads...
as said dave i wasnt digging you or your car as iv always thought the engine was great power...
cheers danny
Your 528 @ rear wheels is probably very similar engine power to his 491 @ all 4 wheels, if those figures are off equivalent dynos, you expect to lose more power when you have a txb and an extra diff.

So yours is probably just over 600bhp too, like Daves on the lower boost setting, although like I said earlier, different boxes have different losses anyway.

Last edited by Chip; 03-12-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:08 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i will be well up for a rip with si b also but i hope hes a fair bit quicker than the prep and play 3 door as at brands i pissed all over that car...
cheers danny
TBH Danny Simon pissed all over it too, the 3dr got in the way tbh, but it was funny watching the 3door slide onto the grass and sling mud our way, bow and arrows 300 style
Old 03-12-2009, 02:26 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

the only way you are EVER going to be able to measure transmissio losses acuratly is to get th eengine plumbed onto the dyno
tehen add a gearbox and emasure the losses through the box
then add a prop and measure again
then add a diff and measure again
then the shafts and measure again
then the hubs and measure again and then the wheels and measure again

this way you are in a controled enviroment where repeatability is easy to achive so the only losses you will find will be through the transmission

but that's not going to happen so the easiest way to measure the power getting to the tarmac is going to be on a dyno whre all the variables have been accounted for

so if you make 50 bhp more than your mate does on one set of rollers, but only make 20 bhp more than your mate on another set, the figures you get will be right for your car on that set of rollers, and then you can argue as to who's "righ" and who;s "wrong" down the pub

or on the internet
Old 03-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by dojj
the only way you are EVER going to be able to measure transmissio losses acuratly is to get th eengine plumbed onto the dyno
tehen add a gearbox and emasure the losses through the box
then add a prop and measure again
then add a diff and measure again
then the shafts and measure again
then the hubs and measure again and then the wheels and measure again
That still wont work as the dyno only has the ability to be reading power directly from a single input, so to feed it power from the wheels, you would need to sit the car on some rollers, or hub dyno packs or similar, at which point its NOT the same dyno anymore, and hence no longer truely comparable, as each stage would need seperately calibrating etc etc

So, going back a couple of pages to where I said it first of all, you cant ever accuratly measure flywheel figures in the car.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:23 PM
turnover
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i see what Danny is saying though as on pump fuel at around 2.0 bar of boost,my car made 599 hp on the rolling road and was 450hp@ the wheels which is a big loss and mines rwd,but any how its how a car performs not what the figure is ,just a reference point for when you are making changes to see what gives better response or more power
Old 03-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by turnover
i see what Danny is saying though as on pump fuel at around 2.0 bar of boost,my car made 599 hp on the rolling road and was 450hp@ the wheels which is a big loss and mines rwd,but any how its how a car performs not what the figure is ,just a reference point for when you are making changes to see what gives better response or more power
Interestingly thats a much bigger transmission loss than Dave's is quoted at, 25% in fact in your case.

As you say though, if you can keep using the same rollers, its a great reference point to know how changes have effected it.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:30 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

That still wont work as the dyno only has the ability to be reading power directly from a single input, so to feed it power from the wheels, you would need to sit the car on some rollers, or hub dyno packs or similar, at which point its NOT the same dyno anymore, and hence no longer truely comparable, as each stage would need seperately calibrating etc etc

So, going back a couple of pages to where I said it first of all, you cant ever accuratly measure flywheel figures in the car.
the sinlge input would be fromn the back of the gearbox or prop in this case chi

you'd just have to fabricate some sort of enclosure to hang it all from

and then you have 2 dyno's to measure the output from either side of the diff, etc, etc

it would be way to difficult and tine consuming to ever be practical realistically, but it would be the only way to measure the losses for a particular set up in my eyes

and if you had several different references over the course of time in which to glean various different bits of info from, youwould have a mroe acruate way to measure the losses

ok, so you still wouldn't be in a car with all the little foibles that being inside a box would create, but you would set a benchmark by wich you could rate everythign else, be it higher or lower
Old 03-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Chip

Manufacturers tend to know what their transmission and instalation in the bay combined is losing fairly accurately, as they are putting the same engine from dyno to rollers quite reguarly, but even with all that data, its still guesswork the moment you go to a different box, or a different power level on the same box, as like I have said its not a direct relationship.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:42 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

theres no way it would lose 20% at that power!!!you should know this as the more power the less loses!!!im not going to bother anymore as your not going to see another opinion on it...
cheers danny
I'd expect it to dip below 20% by a fraction at most.

Why not just take the ATW figure of each, add 10bhp and divide the result by 0.84?

For 500bhp this equates to 595bhp.
Much more accurate than percentages that go off at extremes of power.
Still no definitive number of course but best you can hope for.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:44 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

523 bhp, but 600 sounds better down the pub granted.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:54 PM
turnover

not pub talk fact,,,does run mid 10s on the quater with a shit 60ft of 1.8 so you tell me if its wrong
Old 03-12-2009, 08:03 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Your 528 @ rear wheels is probably very similar engine power to his 491 @ all 4 wheels, if those figures are off equivalent dynos, you expect to lose more power when you have a txb and an extra diff.

So yours is probably just over 600bhp too, like Daves on the lower boost setting, although like I said earlier, different boxes have different losses anyway.
yes mate thats when i see 602 bhp but at 2.2 bar but at 1.9 bar its 592 so not a lot of difference..iv now got to change the inlet cam for a bit more lift and since then iv got a new turbo manifold 4 inch downpipe and a bigger intercooler so on the engine dyno il get it right then check in car on our rollers and see if the difference represents eachother..
cheers danny
Old 03-12-2009, 08:09 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by AquariousRS
TBH Danny Simon pissed all over it too, the 3dr got in the way tbh, but it was funny watching the 3door slide onto the grass and sling mud our way, bow and arrows 300 style
im glad you said that because i thought simons was quicker than that..mind you he had a good tussle with jays white 3dr at coombe a while back and although i didnt tussle with him myself his mate said i was 2 secs a lap quicker round brands than him...i was doing brands in 52 secs in the summer but 56s on wets the other week...bring on the new year,i cant wait to get the car out again
cheers danny
Old 03-12-2009, 08:25 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im glad you said that because i thought simons was quicker than that..mind you he had a good tussle with jays white 3dr at coombe a while back and although i didnt tussle with him myself his mate said i was 2 secs a lap quicker round brands than him...i was doing brands in 52 secs in the summer but 56s on wets the other week...bring on the new year,i cant wait to get the car out again
cheers danny

hi danny was that on slicks ? do you think you'll get much quicker ?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:41 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by J1mbo
hi danny was that on slicks ? do you think you'll get much quicker ?
after feeling the car last week on the wets i was dying to get on the slicks but then the clutch started slipping and of course i put the slicks on and that done the clutch completly but back to your questions yes the 52s were on slicks and yes i rekon i can get atleast another second as the car is feeling awesome...
less lag and more tourque has made it handle better to as its tighter through the bends...
cant wait to see what it does on the dyno...
Anyway hows you mate???
cheers danny
Old 03-12-2009, 08:50 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

after feeling the car last week on the wets i was dying to get on the slicks but then the clutch started slipping and of course i put the slicks on and that done the clutch completly but back to your questions yes the 52s were on slicks and yes i rekon i can get atleast another second as the car is feeling awesome...
less lag and more tourque has made it handle better to as its tighter through the bends...
Anyway hows you mate???
cheers danny
thats really getting on with it for round brands mate gotta get down there and see you out in her, dyno will deffo be interesting

im ok thanks bud sounds all is well with you ?? lol
Old 04-12-2009, 12:28 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

not pub talk fact,,,does run mid 10s on the quater with a shit 60ft of 1.8 so you tell me if its wrong
I don't see your point, as it's 450 ATW no matter what the bullshit corrected figure is, so just quote that as that's correct and the engine figure is waaaaaay off.

Or your car has massively more losses than others, in which case if you get to the bottom of the problem you'll have 500 ATW.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

very intresting post for once
Old 04-12-2009, 05:18 PM
turnover

Originally Posted by C4llyT
I don't see your point, as it's 450 ATW no matter what the bullshit corrected figure is, so just quote that as that's correct and the engine figure is waaaaaay off.

Or your car has massively more losses than others, in which case if you get to the bottom of the problem you'll have 500 ATW.

i dont make the dyno,s chap ,and i cant explain why i get 150hp loss,my skyline used to lose simular and thats alot heavier and 4wd but simular power,but as said before if you use the same dyno its a good reference point when developing your engine
Old 04-12-2009, 05:22 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i dont make the dyno,s chap ,and i cant explain why i get 150hp loss,my skyline used to lose simular and thats alot heavier and 4wd but simular power,but as said before if you use the same dyno its a good reference point when developing your engine
If you use and quote the ATW figure, as the fly figure is waaaay off, don't you agree?

Anyway, that's what's contacting the road...
Old 05-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Guys,

I am not claiming to be a genius, but no one on this post seems to understand how a rolling road works, or why there is a difference in the ATW figure, between different rolling roads, even if they are all being run 'fairly'.

Therefore when another person here posts their engine dyno figure and then r/r figure and we all start debating the % loss, no one on here really understands 'where' all of this bhp is lost. As such, this discussion is pointless.

RW
Old 05-12-2009, 11:22 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven_RW
Guys,

I am not claiming to be a genius, but no one on this post seems to understand how a rolling road works, or why there is a difference in the ATW figure, between different rolling roads, even if they are all being run 'fairly'.

Therefore when another person here posts their engine dyno figure and then r/r figure and we all start debating the % loss, no one on here really understands 'where' all of this bhp is lost. As such, this discussion is pointless.

RW
i wouldn't agree that nobody on this post understands how a rolling road works, but i would certainly agree that the discusssion is pointless, especially as one side of the 'argument' cannot base his points in proven physics.

as for making a direct comparison for at the wheels figures measured on a dyno to crank figure, it is only possible if you are measuring at the crank at the same time (with a strain gauge or similar torque sensing device, and an acuurate rotational speed measurement, perhaps taken from the ecu's signal)
Old 05-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Fagin
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Steven_RW
Guys,

RW
The thread is fine until people start to defend graphs that were done at different venues on different days. A car makes what it makes on the day at that venue.... period. IMO it is pointless (but obviously interesting) comparing in detail, different venues and different days (environments).

If you want to a prove a cars capabilities get it on the black stuff.... but that is another story.

Both of these cars undoubtedly have some real nuts, which is great. Perhaps best to leave it at that.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:37 AM
kouzman
PassionFord Regular

Why do people argue on flywheel numbers? I cant getting!

Who cares? What they should care about is power at the wheels. Thats what you put on your tires...

As said before, if you want to compare them, hit the track!
Old 06-12-2009, 06:45 AM
Ginger Will
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Anyway hows you mate???
cheers danny

Do you have any videos of your car as that sounds pretty quick?