General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Digital radios/ satalite etc????? Arrow rock.nl

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital radios/ satalite etc????? Arrow rock.nl

Hi all please for give my lack of knowledge. Im not that clued up on technological terms and stuff.

A few years ago my favorite radio station (arrow rock.nl), changed its provider.

It used to be on AM 675 which I could pick up anywhere, but they went to FM.

As they are in Holland, the FM frequency could only be picked up in Holland.

They couldnt afford to keep with Fm so have now gone satalite

Only way i can get them is here on the net - http://www.arrow.nl/services/onlineradio_rock.php

Which is not good as I cant spend all my life sitting at the pc

http://translate.google.com/translat...w.nl%2Frock%2F

On their home page it says this

Satellite Owners Attention!
Arrow Classic Rock is nu ook te ontvangen via CanalDigitaal!
Arrow Classic Rock is now transmitted by Canal Digitaal!
Arrow is via satelliet te ontvangen op de Astra 1 Satelliet (19,2 Oost)
Arrow is transmitted via satellite to the Astra 1 satellite (19.2 East)
Frequentie: 12574 Horizontaal; FEC: 22000 5/6
Frequency: 12574 Horizontal, FEC: 22000 5 / 6
Kanaalnummer 260 bij gecertificeerde ontvangers.
Channel number 260 from certified receivers.

So does this mean I can pick it up with a digital radio?

This used to keep me going at work, its been a lonley quiet few years now

Any help much appreciated
Old 06-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

anyone?
Old 06-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

you need a satellite dish pointed at 19.2 east and a set top box, the channels clear so no subscription required.

the set top box then pluged into your hifi etc,

can probably do it for about Ł50 with second hand equipment.

dish wise you'll probably get away with a sky mini dish, as your on the right side of the UK.

If you cant source one, i have one sitting in my garden going spare, and as for the set top box, you may get away with a sky digital one i think they do fec 22000, not ideal but will work if it does, again may have a spare old one knocking about, well i think i have 3 in the loft!

then all you need is some coax and 2 F plugs

Last edited by Fil; 06-11-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

doh and then i read at work!

right if they are on line, get an unlimited data package for your mobile and stream it, been doing this for years with xfm.nl
Old 06-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by Fil
doh and then i read at work!

right if they are on line, get an unlimited data package for your mobile and stream it, been doing this for years with xfm.nl
Satalite is no advantage as it can only be used at home, so im better of using the internet as I am now. Thanks ever so much for the kind offer tho, much appreciated

Humm unlimited data package? My idea what that costs. Im about to sort out a phone contract, so could be the ideal time!!!

So could I "stream it" into an MP3/bluetooth connection in a car radio or a docking station say in my workshop where I dont have internet access? As these are the 2 areas I wnat to listen to it but cant!!!!!!

Sorry as said im not very clued up on this sort of technology!
Old 06-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee Ivatt

Humm unlimited data package? My idea what that costs. Im about to sort out a phone contract, so could be the ideal time!!!
My O2 Simplicity contract is Ł20 per month for unlimited data, 800 minutes and more texts than I will ever use.

T Mobile are advertising unlimited data and texts on PAYG for life so long as you top up Ł10pm
Old 07-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
My O2 Simplicity contract is Ł20 per month for unlimited data, 800 minutes and more texts than I will ever use.

T Mobile are advertising unlimited data and texts on PAYG for life so long as you top up Ł10pm
Yeh sounds good, now everyone has changed their PAG taffifs im spending at least Ł20pm anyway, so makes sence to get a contract like that.

So sorry for sounding stupid, but say I get this unlimited data on my phone.

What do I then do with it?

As said i know nothing about this stuff. My current phone is a Ł9.99 Nokia no camera. music nothing.

So is it just a case as i said before plugging the phone into

a docking station like the ipod ones?
or
A jack socket on a hifi system?

And how about in my truck, is it easy to connect the phone to the Radio unit in the car, say with bluetooth, usb MP3 socket???
Old 07-11-2009, 08:26 AM
3drbadboy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

arrow rock is on dab digital radio
Old 07-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by 3drbadboy
arrow rock is on dab digital radio
Are you sure? I know it used to be on dab, but I thought when they stopped their FM contract the DAB was stopped also.

It is defo Arrow rock.nl and not that gay uk version?

this is what arrow nl sound like.

http://www.arrow.nl/services/onlineradio_rock.php
Old 07-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

So could I "stream it" into an MP3/bluetooth connection in a car radio or a docking station say in my workshop where I dont have internet access? As these are the 2 areas I wnat to listen to it but cant!!!!!!
I dont think there are any true unlimited data packages on any network, now im with T-mobile ( limited to 1GB fair useage ) ive had it since april 06 and regulary stream radio / tv / conect to a laptop and other stuff they says a No No, but has been fine no excess charges.

I Say streaming whilst driving is a No, i do it, but duing the day you get alot of buffering making it unlistenable with the constant change in reception as your moving, same on a train abit hit and miss.

Yeh sounds good, now everyone has changed their PAG taffifs im spending at least Ł20pm anyway, so makes sence to get a contract like that.

So sorry for sounding stupid, but say I get this unlimited data on my phone.

What do I then do with it?

So is it just a case as i said before plugging the phone into

a docking station like the ipod ones?
or
A jack socket on a hifi system?

And how about in my truck, is it easy to connect the phone to the Radio unit in the car, say with bluetooth, usb MP3 socket???
Now im now sure on how normall phones handle streaming as ive had windows based phones for the last 5ish years now ( currently touch pro 2 )

which with a spall convertor gives me a 3.5mm jack to phonos, simple

or if you head unit supports A2DP bluetooth, you can link up in stereo

Oh ive just tried a program on my phone SPB radio, just had a look under the dutch section and it has arrow classic rock in the preprogramed list.

if spending Ł20 a month on a sim only contract anothe 10/15 more will get you a pretty highend phone.

Lastly have you considered what i find the most reliable way, to download the radio shows , or 6hr chunks, then transfer them to your mp3 device, so its not live but only a day or 2 behind
Old 07-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by Fil
I dont think there are any true unlimited data packages on any network, now im with T-mobile ( limited to 1GB fair useage ) ive had it since april 06 and regulary stream radio / tv / conect to a laptop and other stuff they says a No No, but has been fine no excess charges.

I Say streaming whilst driving is a No, i do it, but duing the day you get alot of buffering making it unlistenable with the constant change in reception as your moving, same on a train abit hit and miss.

Now im now sure on how normall phones handle streaming as ive had windows based phones for the last 5ish years now ( currently touch pro 2 )

which with a spall convertor gives me a 3.5mm jack to phonos, simple

or if you head unit supports A2DP bluetooth, you can link up in stereo

Oh ive just tried a program on my phone SPB radio, just had a look under the dutch section and it has arrow classic rock in the preprogramed list.

if spending Ł20 a month on a sim only contract anothe 10/15 more will get you a pretty highend phone.

Lastly have you considered what i find the most reliable way, to download the radio shows , or 6hr chunks, then transfer them to your mp3 device, so its not live but only a day or 2 behind
Hadnt thought of that, A phone that can recieve arrow directly on the radio would be the best bet!!!
I take it your phone has a DAB built in to it? or am i totally in the wrong area lol

Yes have thought about downloading, but not sure how to set this up as the internet arrow is i think what they call a constant live stream?

bloody technology I know its just a case of using it and learning but its all a bit confusing for a first timer into these things!
Old 07-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Hadnt thought of that, A phone that can recieve arrow directly on the radio would be the best bet!!!
I take it your phone has a DAB built in to it? or am i totally in the wrong area lol
No my phone dont do DAB only FM, i was listening the same way you would on a PC via the live stream, just happened to have the radio station allready in the preset streams.

Yes have thought about downloading, but not sure how to set this up as the internet arrow is i think what they call a constant live stream?
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ It basically it records all the sound coming out of your PC, so any music, mouse clicks etc.

So you run the radio stream at night whilst not using your PC for anything else, disable you IM notifications , email etc, then run the program until morning or your hame from work etc, then you'll have 8 -16 hours of recordings to playback as an MP3 file.

bloody technology I know its just a case of using it and learning but its all a bit confusing for a first timer into these things!
You'll get there

Im no expert by along way, just asking and playing about gets you there

Last edited by Fil; 07-11-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by Fil
No my phone dont do DAB only FM, i was listening the same way you would on a PC via the live stream, just happened to have the radio station allready in the preset streams.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ It basically it records all the sound coming out of your PC, so any music, mouse clicks etc.

So you run the radio stream at night whilst not using your PC for anything else, disable you IM notifications , email etc, then run the program until morning or your hame from work etc, then you'll have 8 -16 hours of recordings to playback as an MP3 file.

You'll get there

Im no expert by along way, just asking and playing about gets you there
Thanks mate, so what FM frequency are you using to pick it up? As said imi looking to get a new phone, so this is something i could try in the shop before i buy!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Yes my phone has built in FM, but like any Fm radio will only pick up local stations,

Im not listening via FM or any frequency im using probably the same link as you posted ( www.arrow.nl/services/onlineradio_rock.php ) to listen to it via streaming on my phone, just happens to all ready be added to the list of available stations, streams at 128Kbps
Old 08-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Arrow isn't on DAB anymore - used to be, but not anymore......