General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Gutted

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:26 PM
mozzy
Ford for life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gutted

basically 13 months ago my Grandad got diagnose with the big C, he was a very very fit 72 year old, who owned and ran his own petrol station up until a few years ago, then when he retired he took up golf, walking a 18 hole golf course 6 days a week, then when this big c struck him last september he was basicaly stripped of his life before our eyes, he lost 6 stone over a matter of weeks, he some internal organs removed and had his bowl and intestines basically chopped in half, then underwent chemotherapy/ radiotherapy and all the usual stuff and was given the all clear in may this year, he piled the weight back on and started his golf again.
Then app 3 weeks ago was feeling down and drained and in pain again, blood tests and scans and usual tests spurred the dr to call him in this morning to togive him the bad news, the cancer is back, this time its eating his liver which in part filters blood meaning he is also int the early stages of lukemia, he has been given until new year to live, absolutly gutted he has always been someone i have looked up to and respected and i cant bare to see him deterioate like this, to make matters worse my nan suffers with MS and skin cancer her self and my mum has a brain tumor so me and my sisters are basiaclly fucked, nan and grandad within months are both going to need full time care and Grandad has begged us not to put him or nan in care which we would not do he wants to live his last days with my nan in there own home.
I am half considering quitting my job and going to care for them both until its all over but not sure if i could cope, i am a 24 year old bloke and lost my other grandad to lung cancer in april this year and never grieved or shed a tear then as i was to busy comforting dad and my other nan to.

whats peoples views i know if i quit work for now and look after them both it would be very very hard but they both are a massive part of my life and I owe them everything as they have pulled me out of many sticky situations and have always been there for me no matter what. I just cant decide what to do, mum would not cope with helping them with her own illness to contend with and both of my sisters have there own children etc that need looking after so I feel like i am the only person....but i also feel giving up my career could make my life even worse when there both gone.

sorry if its a bit long winded but just need to make this decision very very soon and just wanted other people views on this

thanks
Tom
Old 03-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

could you do it around work for the time being and then see what happens, your sisters maybe able to help even if its only a hrs or so a day each

or can they have some carers in to help them out as well