General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

PS3 Slim / HDMI help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 15-10-2009, 10:16 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PS3 Slim / HDMI help!!!!

Having a proper nightmare trying to get my PS2 to handshake with my TV.... Searched everywhere for an answer, even avforums, any ideas?

From the start.... I had a PS3 60Gb connected to my Sony Bravia KDL-40V4000, all happy, bit of a mission getting the HDMI cable to work but it eventually did and had 6 months of happy gaming. Anyway, laser decides to give up on the PS3 so fitted a new one, since then been unable to get the HDMI to work. I thought at this time I could be better off selling the PS3 and buying a Slim knowing hoping that the Bravia sync would make it work.

Anyway, sold the PS3 60Gb, bought a new 120gb slim tonight, connected up and still the same thing!!!! This is the weird bit though, the Bravia sync function detects the PS3 and when powering the PS3 on (with scart cable and HDMI cable in) it detects that a HDMI cable is present and asks if I want to switch. However I cant seem to get it to appear on the screen. I've tried literally everything, flicking the screen to HMDI 1 (and 2!) when its picking it up, unplugging the scart, turning all the setting off on the TV (default settings), powering all off, various combinations etc etc. The only thing I havent tried is replacing the HDMI cable (is a Monster cable which I was ripped off with in Comet when I got the TV). I presumed that as Bravia Sync picks it up the cable is ok?

Any other ideas, its getting very frustrating!

Thanks
Chris
Old 15-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Bg_rs
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you can't get a picture via scart either???

Have you got another HD TV or another TV to check the video output
Old 15-10-2009, 10:31 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you actually got the ps3 in hdmi mode?
Old 15-10-2009, 10:41 PM
fiend
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Why do you need the SCART?
Old 15-10-2009, 10:43 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you dont, i have no scart in mine at all and never have,
Old 15-10-2009, 10:47 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Bg RS - I get a picture via the scart cable on AV1 channel on the TV without a problem.

James - Yes mate, when on AV1 and the HDMI cable plugged in as well, when the PS3 is powered on and loads up it tells me that a HDMI device is connected to the system, do I want to switch to it. I say yes and thats it. The AV channel disappears as if its sending the signal down the lead but nothing ont he TV. Even if I switch to the HDMI channel on the TV manually nothing. Also if I set the PS3 manually to HDMI nothing either, it just switches back to the Scart output. I've also tried completely removing hte scart (as it used to be when I had my old PS3 60gb before the laser went) but still nothing.

its doing my nut in! Although fifa 10 is the nuts i want it in high def!!!!
Old 15-10-2009, 11:11 PM
bbsheppo
Regular Contributor

Firstly I'd try a new hdmi cable, just buy a cheap one as it makes no difference to the HD quality.

If it still doesn't work try your ps3 on a mates HDTV to see if they have this same problem. If they do then its either a problem with the cable or the PS3.

If it runs fine on your mates then it could well be a problem with the PS3's shite hdcp handshake (a kind of copy protection) with your TV (look on google or youtube). I had a similar problem with a previous Samsung 1080p which would constantly flicker when playing games. The only way I sorted it was when I got a new TV. Other people have reported their screens going black around the start of games.

Last edited by bbsheppo; 15-10-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 15-10-2009, 11:14 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Already ordered a new cable so will see what happens there. Also just realised my TV in the bedroom has a HDMI output on it so will bring the ps3/cable up here to see what happens.

I have heard that Sony Bravia's can have problems with PS3's but surely there must be a fix? Would a composite cable give me the same resolution?
Old 15-10-2009, 11:19 PM
fiend
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you tried doing it without the SCART being plugged in at all?
Old 15-10-2009, 11:47 PM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by cfoster
Already ordered a new cable so will see what happens there. Also just realised my TV in the bedroom has a HDMI output on it so will bring the ps3/cable up here to see what happens.

I have heard that Sony Bravia's can have problems with PS3's but surely there must be a fix? Would a composite cable give me the same resolution?
comp and hdmi on a ps3 are near identical.
My friend had the same issue with his tv. He found that switching the ps3 off at the wall. then switching it back on, it eventually (about 10 minutes) came up with the hdmi screen settings. Just seemed really slow on the handshake.
Old 16-10-2009, 04:38 AM
cjwood555
Advanced PassionFord User

N.B. it's Component that offers HD-res, not composite. Not sure off the top of my head if the PS3 or your TV support 1080P on component but they will offer at least some support for HD resolutions!

I would try another cable first off. HDCP, video data and control data are all on seperate pins so you could have damage to one or more, but still be getting handhsaking data through, hence the TV seeing the ps3. Try www.cpc.co.uk for a very cheap one.

Also worth checking that the tv supports the resolution you are sending to it over hdmi.

Other than that, there are ways round it, but all will cost more than a component cable.

HTH
Chris
Old 16-10-2009, 07:09 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

fiend - yes mate tried that but nothing!!

chopshop - i'll try that mate but not confident it will work in this case!

cjwood - as you say it could be one of the pins that are fooked in the cable. If so as the cable is under a year old surely I can take it back if it doesnt work? (cable was fookin £70 back then!).

Chris
Old 16-10-2009, 07:17 AM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

my brother had this problem when going from a 1080p Tv to a 1080i one...

As 1080p has a proper setting on the outfeed the 1080i max resolution wasn't picking it up.

he got round it by phoning me up and i went through the settings to sense the new outfeed.. He had a black screen infront of him but the menu was there just not being shown....He needed to tell the PS3 to change the output video HDMI settings... So when booting up it was...

left x 7

down x 10

enter x 2

right

right

Then it will search for display properties and fingers crossed pair with the TV

give it a shot

Last edited by Smit; 16-10-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old 16-10-2009, 08:50 AM
RUBY123
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to hold down the power button untill it beeps twice then it will switch modes the second beep takes about 5 secs
Old 16-10-2009, 10:05 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Smit / Ruby - tried both of those things!!!! No luck !

Have ordered a new cable now so will await a new one, hopefully as the cable is under a year old they should replace / refund it shouldnt they? Off to Center Parcs now for the weekend so not touching it till i'm back!!

Chris