General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

carrying on from the pf thread...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:44 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default carrying on from the pf thread...

...located here

the cover is great, full marks to that

there are some good write ups inside

dream garage is sweet

the transit connect rs is great

i even understood why they put that rice and furious mondeo diesel in there

but by all that is batman and holy how the fuck are they still letting monkeys fuck around with the stats pages

last month pages 160-161 were fine and dandy (albeit with the still ommision of rod's times) and this month he's in and it's all change

(ok, so you've changed the columns and numbers and got the wrong ones in so that different times are quicker and thus rod's got in with his not top 10 0-60 time but included top 10 1/4 mile)

no matter how good the rest of the mag is, it's these small fuck ups that stick in the mind, and when you start writing in stuff without checking the validity of the information you have been given it makes you look like you've got school kids writing the articles (i nearly said 'me' but the speeling is fine ;cry: it's the factual content that sometimes takes a little stumble) and then you aren't erading the articles, you are looking for the mistakes and typo's, which is why i stopped buying it last year

ok, don't take this as knocking the mag and bandwagon jumping because that's not me, but with silly mistakes like this, you will never be challenging fast ford for it's readership
Old 06-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Rcjm88
Zetec S Owners

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You didn't mention the big 4 page spread of the Fiesta in the Woods meet!! I helped organise that too!!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 09:53 PM
dojj

plus the a-team van, that granada with the flames and the bouncy castles (how ever did all those cars keep the grass clean and tidy?)

that should be enough time for the edit thing to show up

(who got the fiesta all dirty then? own up, was it you )

Last edited by dojj; 06-10-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Rcjm88
Zetec S Owners

It was a ZSOC meet, we had a show and shine comp! One of the members went the other way with it though and armed with a bottle of water, some fresh mud and tree branches decided to decorate there car! Sadly they didn't win the Show and Shine!

Was a good meet, big turn out too!
Old 06-10-2009, 10:08 PM
dojj

you had fun
the mag covered it
it was a good little read

which is even worse for the tiny little errors that creep in and make you wonder if everything else has been as finely scrutinised as you first though or if they sit behind a keyboard and bash away what someone else has written with the occasional F7 to make sure it's written right
Old 07-10-2009, 07:35 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

I think you should work for them Dojj.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:08 AM
capri
PF's PFer

Hi Dojj,

Just wanted to post up a response as Hall of Fame is my responsibility on the magazine and as such I wanted to give an explanation.

Firstly, an apology to everyone who's in Hall of Fame that it's been monkeyed about with, and of course to the readership for this problem. We are sorry that it's not been right and I've just had a little walk around the office and a 'firm chat' with a few people to make sure we get it right next time.

When I compile the data for Hall of Fame, I check and double-check it to make sure it's correct. I then send it over to our design team, who do their level best to cock it up. Unfortunately last month I didn't get to see the proof again before it went to print, so I didn't get to check it. That was clearly a mistake, as I realised when I opened the mag for the first time. I've now spoken to the design department who have assured me it will not happen again, and I've also put some processes in place to make sure I get to see the proofs every time before they go off to print. Rest assured, we know when we've messed up and we'll do our best to sort it out.

As for any other mistakes, we are aware that it's an issue and we are tightening up. There's far more proofing going on than there was before in an attempt to eradicate the little errors, and I'd like to think that apart from the vital stats the magazine is reasonably free of mistakes. Naturally, there will always be a couple that slip through but we do our best to keep those to a minimum!

Thanks for your feedback though, we're glad you enjoyed the rest of the mag and we'll keep doing our best to make it better and better!

Cheers

Alex
PF Mag
Old 07-10-2009, 01:35 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by capri
Hi Dojj,

Just wanted to post up a response as Hall of Fame is my responsibility on the magazine and as such I wanted to give an explanation.

Firstly, an apology to everyone who's in Hall of Fame that it's been monkeyed about with, and of course to the readership for this problem. We are sorry that it's not been right and I've just had a little walk around the office and a 'firm chat' with a few people to make sure we get it right next time.

When I compile the data for Hall of Fame, I check and double-check it to make sure it's correct. I then send it over to our design team, who do their level best to cock it up. Unfortunately last month I didn't get to see the proof again before it went to print, so I didn't get to check it. That was clearly a mistake, as I realised when I opened the mag for the first time. I've now spoken to the design department who have assured me it will not happen again, and I've also put some processes in place to make sure I get to see the proofs every time before they go off to print. Rest assured, we know when we've messed up and we'll do our best to sort it out.

As for any other mistakes, we are aware that it's an issue and we are tightening up. There's far more proofing going on than there was before in an attempt to eradicate the little errors, and I'd like to think that apart from the vital stats the magazine is reasonably free of mistakes. Naturally, there will always be a couple that slip through but we do our best to keep those to a minimum!

Thanks for your feedback though, we're glad you enjoyed the rest of the mag and we'll keep doing our best to make it better and better!

Cheers

Alex
PF Mag
all i can say to that is

one more thing though, i DO realise it's a tough job, probably not something i'd want to have to do, so i hope you didn't take it as a personal thing as the mag has certainly "evolved" over the past year and taken steps in the right direction
Old 07-10-2009, 03:20 PM
capri
PF's PFer

Dojj,

No problem chap, I understood it wasn't a personal thing and it was certainly something which needed to be put right. Glad to hear you feel the mag is moving the right way!

All the best

Alex
Old 07-10-2009, 03:46 PM
RSTurboSI
BANNED
BANNED

I tend to buy the performance ford mag now and again, of course I’m a subscribed member of the fast ford so I tend to only really read them, unless I see what I like and go and buy the mag not to say that PF is not as good, I do tend to often have a quick jump and head over to my local supermarket to grab and buy.

Something I quite like that PF did was a road run to a local Event, such as track days or track times that PF team are located in. a few more funny articles which i miss from the old days wouldn’t of course go a miss, and some more Tec Guides than just the one, which would help readers.

Of course feed back from myself.