General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

specs average speed cameras

Search this Thread

Old 27-09-2009, 07:22 AM
mozzy
Ford for life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default specs average speed cameras

I spend loads of time on the M5 between Gloucester and Taunton and on that section are two specs zones , I have noticed most people just ignore them inc lorries etc, I stick too the 50 mph as I am not risking it

is there something i dont know about these cameras, ie are they switched off at night or something (i only work nights) I could see the slight red glow on the infra red bit.

either that or over the last two weeks the camera partnership have made millions. at least 100 cars went through at at least 70 within the time I went through at 50

I notice some do brake when approaching a camera like there expecting it to flash or something lol.

if i ever go over the 50 i slow down to below 50 to average it back to 50.
Old 27-09-2009, 08:17 AM
andy escos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

been through there quiet a bit lately ,i always stick to the 50mph limit not worth the risk
Old 27-09-2009, 08:18 AM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

A always stay at the speed going through specs sites

Steve
Old 27-09-2009, 08:40 AM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

youve just got to change lanes when you go through them, so the 1st camera in lane 1 then the 2nd camera in lane 2 then 3rd camera back in lane 1. Some say it works some say it dont, a friend of mine in a rush went through the ones on the M1 at 80+ doing this and hasnt received any fines and that was months ago.
Old 27-09-2009, 08:56 AM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changing lanes doesnt work as the camera's are connected to the Automatic Number Plate Recognition sytem which is the same sytem installed in most traffic cars to automaticly check your tax insurance and mot .
Old 27-09-2009, 09:08 AM
CoupeUK
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by StephenC
youve just got to change lanes when you go through them, so the 1st camera in lane 1 then the 2nd camera in lane 2 then 3rd camera back in lane 1. Some say it works some say it dont, a friend of mine in a rush went through the ones on the M1 at 80+ doing this and hasnt received any fines and that was months ago.
Has it ever occured to you that these camera's might actually be there for a reason? I have to work out there on the motorway (normally in a live lane situation) where I have pricks like you disregarding the speedlimit and putting my safety at risk.....
Old 27-09-2009, 09:21 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

they are all over the place nowadays, i had to take it carefully on a road coming out of northampton as i spotted the first oen and thought it was just oen of those trafficmaster things, but then the second one came along a few miles down the road and then there were more and more on the way to bedford

and forget speeding in nottingham
Old 27-09-2009, 09:36 AM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

it is well known that if you change lanes they will not get you,the cameras cannot pick it up.

government/authorities know this too.
Old 27-09-2009, 09:55 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CoupeUK
Has it ever occured to you that these camera's might actually be there for a reason? I have to work out there on the motorway (normally in a live lane situation) where I have pricks like you disregarding the speedlimit and putting my safety at risk.....
Totally fair point. What would make it way better for you, and for us, would be for the cameras to be active when people are working on site (big flashing signs saying "Camera Active!") Then, when there's no one there, like late at night or whatever, the cameras aren't switched on.

People would respect them a whole lot more if they believed they were there for safety, not revenue. But when you've driven past hundreds of miles of Specs cameras with not a single workman in sight you do start to forget what they're there for!

And yes, changing lanes works to avoid capture - The Type Approval only allows them to operate in one lane - it's all about cosine angles!
Old 27-09-2009, 10:41 AM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my boss had a letter from the ones on the m1 and it said he had been caught and they was there for a reason and not to do it again no points or fine
Old 27-09-2009, 10:45 AM
XRdodgybird
Praise the XR!

The ones on the M62/M1 Junction at Leeds are the best, they've positioned the first set up on the motorway signs and they aren't really that noticeable... when you are driving through them doing 50 and people pass you like you're stood still.... you just know they're in for it. :cry:
Old 27-09-2009, 10:51 AM
DangerousBryan
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

this from someone that sets them up.

Anyway I've just heard that after a recent software update the threshholds have changed,
It used to be that when under variable speed limit they were set at 10mph over the posted limitand out of enforcement they were triggered at 150mph, well now they will trigger at 10mph over the national even when the variable speeds are not up. So if you're going through a 70 on the M42 watch it as they'll pop you at 80mph.
In June the M42 cameras picked up 895 offences. if you think thats high in May they did 2,580.
Old 27-09-2009, 11:11 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by danneth
my boss had a letter from the ones on the m1 and it said he had been caught and they was there for a reason and not to do it again no points or fine
Probably because he changed lanes.
Old 27-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Saaamon

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Totally fair point. What would make it way better for you, and for us, would be for the cameras to be active when people are working on site (big flashing signs saying "Camera Active!") Then, when there's no one there, like late at night or whatever, the cameras aren't switched on.

People would respect them a whole lot more if they believed they were there for safety, not revenue. But when you've driven past hundreds of miles of Specs cameras with not a single workman in sight you do start to forget what they're there for!

And yes, changing lanes works to avoid capture - The Type Approval only allows them to operate in one lane - it's all about cosine angles!
Totally agree!!!
Old 27-09-2009, 11:50 AM
RickyLee53

I've always wondered about people going through them at speed. I always stick to 50. My partner didn't know how they worked and went through them at speed, but didn't get anything through.

I suppose you put a 2litre engine in a nova to accelerate to the speed limit quicker?

Edit:
Also if you change lane i don't think they can do you, because they don't know the distance covered, although it will be you've been going quicker as you'd have travelled further I'm sure they have to accurately get you. I.e. when they follow you and they record your average speed, they say "upto 110mph" average 104. They don't do you for 110 because they can't, they just use it to swing the case in court but can't actually do you for it as it's not solid evidence. Also remember you have to self incrimnate yourself in these cases as they ask you to say "yes i was doing X mph" they can't ask you to sign something that isn't 100% accurate.

Last edited by RickyLee53; 27-09-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 27-09-2009, 11:58 AM
RickyLee53

Should have read the whole thread before i waffled on.
Old 27-09-2009, 12:55 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i go through at 50mph thats it,its people that shit themselfs and slow to 40mph that winds me up or they sit in middle laane and wont move,i came off the m1 to join the m62 and some old cunt saw the signs and whaled his aanchors on,i nearly bailed in to back of him with a loaded artic,i shit myself and would have killed him if i hit im,stupid twat.
Old 27-09-2009, 01:04 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

I just trundle through at 5mph above the limit, I don't commute by car so my motorway driving is only social & family etc so am never in a hurry.
Old 27-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I went to southend last night and on the way home on the 127 all the saxo boys were flying past me, its a 50mph limit and some of them must of been hitting 80/90mph , its about a mile stretch with cameras too the nutters
Old 27-09-2009, 03:05 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

knew one keyboard warrior would bite by that statement you are either a complete hypocrit or have never ever not even once broken the speed limit, cos when your doing 31 in a 30 zone its PRICKS like you that are putting my kids at risk, and when your doing 41 in a 40 its PRICKS like you that put my my older kids on bikes at risk and when your doing 71 in a 70 its PRICKS like you that are putting me at risk when im driving near you. Wind your fucking neck in you dick. Half two in the morning when all your BUSY team are in your welfare units my friend doing 80+ past you is in no way putting you and your PRICK mates at danger. fucking tool

back on topic, they were in such a rush to get these cameras on the road they didnt have time to develop them to work over multiple lanes thus when you change lanes they dont have any idea how far you have travelled, even if the average speed works out too high they cant put an exact figure on your speed so cant prosecute you on 'you were speeding but we dont know how much by'. As a rule I do 55 on the sat nav when going through the 50 zones as you cant really get any speed up when others are on the road.
Old 27-09-2009, 03:11 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

get him told ^^^^
Old 27-09-2009, 03:15 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Originally Posted by XRdodgybird
The ones on the M62/M1 Junction at Leeds are the best, they've positioned the first set up on the motorway signs and they aren't really that noticeable... when you are driving through them doing 50 and people pass you like you're stood still.... you just know they're in for it.
ive seen that 1st set but they look to be pointing in to the sky, not sure waht angle they can see at but they just look wrong compared to all the others you see, (at least I hope they are )
Old 27-09-2009, 03:30 PM
mozzy
Ford for life

Old 27-09-2009, 03:31 PM
mozzy
Ford for life

Originally Posted by kosman
i go through at 50mph thats it,its people that shit themselfs and slow to 40mph that winds me up or they sit in middle laane and wont move,i came off the m1 to join the m62 and some old cunt saw the signs and whaled his aanchors on,i nearly bailed in to back of him with a loaded artic,i shit myself and would have killed him if i hit im,stupid twat.

so your one of those cunts that are limited to 56 mph the same as all the other arctics, the ones that still try overtaking another arctic , both at 56 mph then cause the motorway to back up just so you can try and look at the back of another arctic for the next 15 miles until someone makes the one in front of you brake, then overtake him and hae a complete repeat of the babove lol. just kidding your not a cunt but you get my drift, and it is fucking annoying because then that slow idiot your on about is in the fast lane doing 57 to try and get past you and thats that whole section of motorway fucked for the next 5 mins.

I always said vehicles that are not capable of more than 60 mph should be legally bound to the slow lane

Last edited by mozzy; 27-09-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 27-09-2009, 03:40 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Originally Posted by mozzy
so your one of those cunts that are limited to 56 mph the same as all the other arctics, the ones that still try overtaking another arctic , both at 56 mph then cause the motorway to back up just so you can try and look at the back of another arctic. just kidding your not a cunt but you get my drift, and it is fucking annoting because then that slow idiot your on about is in the fast lane doing 57 to try and get past you and thats that whole section of motorway fucked for the next 5 mins.

I always said vehicle that are not capable of more ytthan 60 mph should be legally bound to the slow lane
bit strong but I feel your pain I think at peak hours they should impose the slow lane rule (say 8-9:30 and 4:30-6) just to get things moving, if one truck has to go 1mph slower than he would like then its no real drama, choking the road up for hundreds of other faster (not speeding just cars etc) users leads to frustration and traffic and ultimately stupid crashes that fuck it up for everyone. That trial on the A42 works a treat with the sections of no over 7.5t at certain times.
Old 27-09-2009, 03:48 PM
mozzy
Ford for life

also alot of lorry drivers should also have more consideration for whats behind them and noit whats in front ie the one your waiting to overtake lol, so many times I have been doing 65 (my van is limited to 68ish lol) in the middle lane and an arctic just swings straight out with out even checking his mirror nearly causing me certain death if i was not on the ball.

and my biggest pet hate of them all. I dont need you to flash me to tell me i am passed and can pull over in front of you now. I know the length of my vehicle and i dont want to be stunned by the glare your headlights blasting into my wing mirrors.

whats more, a bloke i work with in his 50s for some reason had LED windscreen washer things he got stopped and made to remove them....every pigging arctic i see on the motorway are covered in fancy coloured lights and the police never stop or say nothing to you. (not that i want silly lights on my car mind cause there gay)

RANT OVER LOL

Last edited by mozzy; 27-09-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 27-09-2009, 05:17 PM
NEILNATO
SCOOBY DOOBY DON'T!!!

LMAO i agree, i used to have "blue" led lights on my wagon and i never got bollocked for them, but when it comes to specs cameras, if u go thru the 1st set at say 100, just slow rite down or pull over for a few mins, pretend that ur checking something under the bonnet, and then pull away, as soon as you go thru the second set of cameras ur avg speed will be like 10mph, total fail in my eyes,

the best way to stop speeding motorists in my books is to bin the effin lot and get the cops back in there cars and sit on there little parking spots on the hard sholder, in those days before all this camera bollox seeing a copper sat there used to stop me from toeing it, i say get the lazy ass's back on the roads and stop reliein on technology. lolz

/END RANT
Old 27-09-2009, 07:54 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

why does every one rant about trucks? im not getting in a argument but you'd have fuck all without trucks so stop moaning,my truck does 60 on the dot,and if a faster wagon going round me as long as its not on a hill ill slow and let him in,we flash our headlights to help you morons who try and pull in when thers still 3foot of your vehicle next to my door,especially on a-roads when you overtaking.

ther shouldnt be a slow lane ban on us,we have a thing called a tacho with fucking harsh penaltys if we break them,and vosa will do us for the lights but to be fair you go work at 3.30am you need something to keep you awake,and when you live in the bastards its nice to make it fell more homely.

oh and as for overtaking another lorry we do it because we dont want to look at the back of another lorry relying on his brakelights to tell us when to slow down,and we are in the slow lane till some old fucking piss-stain is plodding along at 50mph.

i understand its annoying but get all the trucks off the road and see what you got on your table,and the middle age folk are always the ones who'll let us out at junctions,give us space at r/bs and let us keep coming uphills,its you fucking young heroes that havent got a clue.

Last edited by kosman; 27-09-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 27-09-2009, 08:03 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

ther shouldnt be a slow lane ban on us,we have a thing called a tacho with fucking harsh penaltys if we break them,and vosa will do us for the lights but to be fair you go work at 3.30am you need something to keep you awake,and when you live in the bastards its nice to make it fell more homely.
the blue lights are an issue on cars for impersonating a police car, cant say Ive ever seen a police lorry in hot pursuit! Some of them look quite good. As for the tacho, there has got to be certain tolerances between makes of HGV, where as 56mph on one truck is not the same as 56 on another as the ammount of times Ive been stuckon the A1 for 4miles + waiting for one to creep past the other has got out of hand!! I feel for you guys I really do, I travel a lot of long distance but luckily not at the speeds you have to do it. Just like all modes of transport you do get some proper cock end wagon drivers though.
Old 27-09-2009, 08:13 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

why does every one rant about trucks? im not getting in a argument but you'd have fuck all without trucks so stop moaning,my truck does 60 on the dot,and if a faster wagon going round me as long as its not on a hill ill slow and let him in,we flash our headlights to help you morons who try and pull in when thers still 3foot of your vehicle next to my door,especially on a-roads when you overtaking.

oh and as for overtaking another lorry we do it because we dont want to look at the back of another lorry relying on his brakelights to tell us when to slow down,and we are in the slow lane till some old fucking piss-stain is plodding along at 50mph.

i understand its annoying but get all the trucks off the road and see what you got on your table,and the middle age folk are always the ones who'll let us out at junctions,give us space at r/bs and let us keep coming uphills,its you fucking young heroes that havent got a clue.
lorry drivers are cunts and play the "might is right" card at every opportunity, especially tipper drivers

and which cunt of a driver decides to sit in the outside lanes parellel to every other fucker while you've got 2 miles worth of empty road in front ebcause it's "not cheating" to get in front of someoen else in the queue for the roadworks?

fucking abso-fucking-luty boils my piss when they do that, twaty cunts, if i want to be a fucked up fuckwit i'll stay in the lane that's not oving a fucking inch, but if i'm a normal sane drivers i'll carry on in the empty lanes until i need to "merge in turn" like you are supposed to

and yes, lorry drivers tend to be cunts

but i know what you mean
Old 27-09-2009, 08:13 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

i agree about the light flashing. just because truck drivers are to stupid to know the length of their trucks doesnt mean everyone else is. ill decide when im pulling back in when i decide its safe not when some fat fuck in a truck flashes his lights. mind you flashing the lights is probably the most excercise the truck driver gets.
and im 100% in agreement with dojj above. theres 2 fucking lanes that merge 800 metres ahead its not up to the truck driver to decide to block 1 lane just because he thinks he should. queues wouldnt be so bad if people used the lanes like they are meant to be used .

Last edited by fuzzy; 27-09-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 27-09-2009, 08:21 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

we know the lenght of our trucks and i agree theres some heroes in trucks aswell,just dont tar us with same brush,and yeah ther is tolerances on the tachos,normally 1or2 mph am afraid,i would love for trucks to get banned from the road for a month,you lot moaning would be fucked and relived if they got back on the road,im fucking fedup of my job,but its a job at mo,somedays its not worth the aggro and getting it on here isnt much fun either,but at the end of the day we need wagons,we also need good drivers,i use the a1 a lot,if a truck is passing me on a hill i wont slow down because itll fuck me up,if its on a straight ill slow slightly and let him in,just need a bit more consideration from car drivers and truck drivers.
Old 27-09-2009, 08:22 PM
kjc300
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Don't tell them this but when someone thinks of putting the specs cameras on each entry and exit to the motorways we will all be fooked!!
Old 27-09-2009, 08:22 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Originally Posted by dojj
lorry drivers are cunts and play the "might is right" card at every opportunity, especially tipper drivers

and which cunt of a driver decides to sit in the outside lanes parellel to every other fucker while you've got 2 miles worth of empty road in front ebcause it's "not cheating" to get in front of someoen else in the queue for the roadworks?

fucking abso-fucking-luty boils my piss when they do that, twaty cunts, if i want to be a fucked up fuckwit i'll stay in the lane that's not oving a fucking inch, but if i'm a normal sane drivers i'll carry on in the empty lanes until i need to "merge in turn" like you are supposed to

and yes, lorry drivers tend to be cunts

but i know what you mean
thats because you fucking car drivers wont merge in turn and cause a fucking queue when theres no need to
Old 27-09-2009, 08:24 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

every bad driver uses that excuse. taxi drivers, truck drivers etc . its our job and we get you everything you need so its ok to drive like an inconsiderate cunt.
most other peope on the roads wont be there just for a pointless drive. we all have places to be at certain times.
Old 27-09-2009, 08:31 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

yes but you really wouldnt get anything without trucks,and we have tachos which limit our hours so even though we all have to be somewhere we have a legal time limit set,if you dont make it you have to sleep in your truck,hoping some chav doesnt come and rob you or your diesel or set your truck alight with you in it.
Old 27-09-2009, 08:36 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

but you wouldnt get anything without anyone else either.train drivers, pilots van drivers etc you wouldnt have buildings in the first place without the people to build, you wouldnt have nurses teachers etc etc. everyone does a worthy job in society and all need to get where theyre going on time but none deserve higher status than any other. you dont often see 2 teachers blocking a road because they think its their job/right to hold everyone else up.
Old 27-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Mk1-stu
Patronus

i understand your point here fella, but then surely the simplest route would be to stick to the speed limits in the first place and not actually worry about wether your gonna be done for speeding. People that whinge about getting fines or whatever royally piss me off, it's not a sign put up for shits n giggles, it's the law..
Old 27-09-2009, 08:41 PM
CoupeUK

Originally Posted by RickyLee53
I suppose you put a 2litre engine in a nova to accelerate to the speed limit quicker?
I'm sorry but I fail to see your point.

Originally Posted by StephenC
knew one keyboard warrior would bite by that statement you are either a complete hypocrit or have never ever not even once broken the speed limit, cos when your doing 31 in a 30 zone its PRICKS like you that are putting my kids at risk, and when your doing 41 in a 40 its PRICKS like you that put my my older kids on bikes at risk and when your doing 71 in a 70 its PRICKS like you that are putting me at risk when im driving near you. Wind your fucking neck in you dick. Half two in the morning when all your BUSY team are in your welfare units my friend doing 80+ past you is in no way putting you and your PRICK mates at danger. fucking tool
Right lets get this straight then, I have never said that I dont speed have I? Assumption!

Yes I do speed much like everyone else on this forum does, obviously when its safe to do so. A safe place to speed is NOT outside a school at kicking out time, an empty motorway at 2.30am might be classed as one in some peoples eyes but not all.

It really does show how assumption makes you look like a cock when you jump in waving your arms about in a 'look at me' fashion! I am not a construction worker thank you, I work in close proximity of the Highways Agency and are contracted to recover broken down vehicles from the free recovery areas near to where i'm sat down right this second. This scheme is in place due to the lack of hard shoulder, and is not limited to the contract im on but happen all over the country.

So when you assume that theres no workmen about because you assume that as its late at night theres going to be nobody around then think again. I'm the person your most likely to hit when your speeding through the camera's thinking you know it all when quite clearly you are not. Have you ever seen a colleague killed where a cars skidded into a broken down vehicle and pushed said car up the bed of the recovery truck and into the back of the cab, killing the passengers and the recovery driver? Didnt think so.

Now whose the 'fucking tool'???
Old 27-09-2009, 08:44 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Originally Posted by fuzzy
but you wouldnt get anything without anyone else either.train drivers, pilots van drivers etc you wouldnt have buildings in the first place without the people to build, you wouldnt have nurses teachers etc etc. everyone does a worthy job in society and all need to get where theyre going on time but none deserve higher status than any other. you dont often see 2 teachers blocking a road because they think its their job/right to hold everyone else up.
well thats certains truckers,i dont think its my right to hold any one up,but theres the third lane if you'd like to use that to go round us both

Quick Reply: specs average speed cameras