General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

specs average speed cameras

Search this Thread

Old 28-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboShed
Because diesel ain't worth stealing
it is cos it happens all the time
Old 28-09-2009, 04:27 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love it when lorry drivers bang on about how we'd be in the shit without lorries etc etc As though that makes it ok for causing the hassle that many of them do! I dont think anyone saying ban them from the roads, just to drive with a little more respect, which goes for drivers of anything not just lorry drivers. Its not difficult to drive with a bit of respect regardless of what your driving.

We'd be 'in the shit' without many things, but it doesnt mean to say people can do as they please with the 'fuck everyone else' attitude.

Last edited by S1rst; 28-09-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 28-09-2009, 05:19 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spinus
hgv drivers especially artic drivers drive like they do as a result of how they,re treated by other road users.whenever we pull out on an island we will have to get in the way of someone,its clear when we pull away,but ten seconds later were still pulling away and now being flashed and insulted by the now car driver were in the way of.driving something that does 0 to 10 mph in about 20 seconds takes a complete different mindset to driving any car. we put a indicator on and the car driver behind sees it as a signal to fly up the inside and completely fuck us up, a bit of consideration is all it takes, we have to pull out we have to go round islands,we cant stay in one lane. we flash people on the motorway as a courtesy, i,m sorry but i try to be courteous when driving i appreciate people flashing me in. and before anyone rips into me for being some sad old git who hates speeders i,ve a gixxer 1000 k7 and just sold my m3 .theres good and bad in all but its no fun lugging an artic round all night. might is right, not a chance. we have to plan our manouvers 100yds in advance, like i said just a bit of courtesy. my own opinion obviously

Originally Posted by spinus
totally agree, when theres room to pull over and they dont inconsiderate selfish driving, winds up all the drivers behind. when they block the lanes approaching roadworks i dont do it but i know why they do it. when the outside lane dissapears we leave ourself a safe distance to the car infront then 2 or 3 cars wedge themselves in the gap and slam their brakes on as they have nowhere to go, we hit them its our fault. it happens every time and i mean every time and take it from me its bloody frightening especially in the wet. as i said the way we drive is a direct result of how were treated . its all down to foward planning and consideration

Originally Posted by Rs Baz
can you please show me where kosman has stated he try's to pass other lorry's like you have stated in your post

just because he is a lorry driver it doesnt mean to say he's a cunt you knob
cheers me man

Originally Posted by mozzy
I never said get the trucks off the road, after all we need them but some truck drivers are absolute tits, as are car drivers but we notice a arctic more lol, I basically live in my van 12 hours every night, I never ever leave a 3ft gap to get in, i know my vehicle inside out (even if it is a company vehicle) and never had an accident or even come close well not thats my fault anyway..... you may not be like most lorry drivers but trust me if i was to set a camera up on my dash and drive 50 miles along the M5 most of you would be horrified at most lorry drivers do considering they are so big , tailgaiting is the worst thing they do, if i had to slam on my brakes how the hell are you going to stop something that heavy from almost certainly killing me. its a no win argument all round as some car/van drivers are idiots to. even one of my colleagues Adam he tailgates like a right twat and i dont mean 3ft away i am talking inches and as cruel as it is i cant wait until someone hits there brakes on him and teaches him a lesson
i know what you mean,its the whole consideration thing again which will never get resolved

which is where people like me try to stop this sort of thing, mobile security I have a few ind estates to Patrol in my van checking for any dodgey activity and believe me if i see some fucker nicking diesel I will have them nicked if i can get the police to come quick enough. I even drove past a curtain sider at the beeches ind estate in yate near bristol, i noticed a slash in the side and a torch beam inside so i carried on up the rd whilst dialling 999 and sat and waited, the thieves thought i never noticed and pissed off but when i seen police car come up the road i went taring up with the police car and blocked the thieves path so they both got nicked, my job is fun at times...... back on track, lorry reason i get pissed at 2 lorries basically trying to race in outside and middle lane is my van wont go over 68 mph (2008 transit connect limited to 70 but struggles 68) so i try to avoid the fast lane as much as possible so i am stuck between two truck drivers who feel taht as one works for tesco and the other for sainsburys have to prove that tesco will go that extra mile....per hour....excuse the pun lol. so then me being stuck there like a tit means when i am responding to alarms where the police are waiting for me as a keyholder to come and open up the premises they have surrounded so they can arrest the scum that is burgling it.... fear not though getting new vans next month citroen nemo's that are not limited. lol, im shitting it already how am i supposed to sleep in that
good man for doing that,i never had my diesel nicked but its only a matter of time.

Originally Posted by Brian ST24
Sorry, I'm with Kosman all the way on this, cos my old man drove artic's for 45 years. Yes they're all supposed to be limited to 56, but that's not their fault, it's the poxy safety orientated government, and for safety. You try stopping 40 odd ton of load albeit even with three axles just cos some tosser ''I have to get in front of that artic'' car driver has just nailed into a traffic queue in front of him.....

And secondly, I don't mind being flashed in by a wagon, even though he's doing 56 and me 70, it's a courtesy. Be thankful if you are ever unlucky enough to break down on the M6 or M74 one night, and it's one of these ''cunts'' that's first to stop and offer you a hand, with his glaring lights allowing you to see what the problem might be.

And as for the M5 comment, yeah follow a truck on there and see how many you can pass at 60 if they're doing the 'legal' 56. Fucking none, cos they've all got the limiters disconnected. Unless they're supermarket trucks like Tesco, Morrison, Sanisburys, or Eddie Stobart.

Rant over. I'd prefer to shoot the old cunts who sit in the middle lane at 65 when there's fook all in the inside lane for the next 2 mile, just cos it's their ''comfort zone''. Pull in you cock, or get off the fucking road.

Old 28-09-2009, 09:26 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by patton16i
I got cought speeding last may bank holiday weekend.I got my summons to cought on my birthday which is xmas eve.
here's a brilliant one for me, cunstable spelling police

2 different words, caught and court both spelt completely incorrectly. outstanding effort

why is it that the so called 'professional drivers' are usually the worst? minicabs being the worst offenders. these cunts should have to regularly prove their standard of driving and have their licences taken off them if found to be driving badly - if only there were any traffic cops on the road to do anything about them
Old 29-09-2009, 12:14 AM
K500BHP
PassionFord Regular

it may sound harsh but why not keep lorrys to night hours like 10pm till 7 am on the motorways and main dual carrageways and cars during the day that way they get their rest hours and the car drivers can get to where they are going in a reasonable time and that way you could de restrict the lorrys to 80 so they could cover even more distance without the hassle of rush hours or speed limits. Win win as far as i can see.
Old 29-09-2009, 03:04 AM
Big AL
PassionFord Regular

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My understanding regarding bikes is the camera's can see all lanes and they are awaiting approval for the new software that allows the camera on the opposite side to capture the bike's rear number plate.

The ones on the 127 have been inspected / adjusted and are working and nicking people
Old 29-09-2009, 10:04 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by K500BHP
it may sound harsh but why not keep lorrys to night hours like 10pm till 7 am
A lot of lorries are on the road almost 24hrs a day, with driver changes.

To do what you suggest would mean companies buying more lorries and have them all standing idle for 15hrs a day.
And most lorry drivers working nights.

Old 29-09-2009, 10:10 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

SPECS have always had the capability of multi-lane working, they didn't have type approval i.e tested 100 out of 100 passes as accurate to specification.

SPECS have had type approval for adjacent lane working since last April, following the fiasco when thousands of fines were overturned due to the camera being too far from the lane.
And approval to cover a greater road width so they can put the camera off the road side during road widening

To beat it you would have to change 2 lanes i.e 1 to 3.

Last edited by focusv8; 29-09-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 29-09-2009, 11:09 AM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by K500BHP
it may sound harsh but why not keep lorrys to night hours like 10pm till 7 am on the motorways and main dual carrageways and cars during the day that way they get their rest hours and the car drivers can get to where they are going in a reasonable time and that way you could de restrict the lorrys to 80 so they could cover even more distance without the hassle of rush hours or speed limits. Win win as far as i can see.
Good idea!
People living next to pubs would love me banging barrels about at 2am

As for doing 80, the tyres brakes and gearing isn't suitable - nor the roofs on some, end up flying off

Why don't people in little cars just realise big heavy vehicles need more room and time, and hurt if they hit you?
You may hold a car up, but they can then accelerate to 100mph in no time, lorries are just left at 56 if lucky.

Unless people have driven a lorry, they really shouldn't comment.
Old 29-09-2009, 11:33 AM
fez2i16v
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i give way to trucks the best i can because driving a 3.5 ton van is bad enough if someone cuts you up, it takes a month to get back up to 70-80 but 70% of the time the slow lane is moving faster than the fast lane. but i nearly always stick to the limits unless i have a very large gap in front of me just in case.
Old 29-09-2009, 12:01 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by focusv8
SPECS have had type approval for adjacent lane working since last April, following the fiasco when thousands of fines were overturned due to the camera being too far from the lane. And approval to cover a greater road width so they can put the camera off the road side during road widening
Interesting. You work in the industry?
Old 29-09-2009, 03:16 PM
mozzy
Ford for life

Originally Posted by C4llyT
Good idea!
People living next to pubs would love me banging barrels about at 2am

As for doing 80, the tyres brakes and gearing isn't suitable - nor the roofs on some, end up flying off

Why don't people in little cars just realise big heavy vehicles need more room and time, and hurt if they hit you?
You may hold a car up, but they can then accelerate to 100mph in no time, lorries are just left at 56 if lucky.

Unless people have driven a lorry, they really shouldn't comment.

thats a poor reason, I have never driven a lorry which means nothing, if my nan decides she wants to drive at 58 in the slow lane then the lucky lorries that do 59 should not just hold in and tailgate her, i have been in the car with her loads times and see it happen all the time one occasion the lorry was about 2 foot off her back bumper, now what if my nan got cut up by someone. shes dead all because that impatient twat behind thinks because he is so high off the ground that its ok to drive like that... not all lorries but plenty that do.... also when we had the snow earlier on this year some of the places i had to go in work were to dangerous in the connect so i had a lwb 2008 land rover td5, i was fine in that but the fast lane had 4-6 inches of thick snow which everyone was avoiding, typically the arctics were using the fast lane doing there 56 mph whilst me and plenty of others stuck to the speed limit on the matrix signs 40, the snow WAS a big problem for the arctics, they were fish tailing but like the clever twats these few carried on, that could have been fatal
Old 29-09-2009, 06:40 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

No lorry does 59 unless limiter is broken - more likely you're confusing the over read of the speedo in comparison to the accurate tacho of the lorry.

Your nan should fuck off to the A roads if she can't do motorway speeds, and let the decent drivers get on with it

Artics were using the fast lane?
You mean the outside lane?
They're not slow, medium and fast you know
Old 29-09-2009, 07:58 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have to agree about the granny using lane one at 50 odd mph. This is what causes half the trouble to start with. If a driver is not confident enough on the motorway to keep with the flow of traffic then they shouldnt be on there in the first place. There putting themselves in the firing line by doing so, and it would be far safer for everyone for them to do 65-75 like everyone else.
Old 29-09-2009, 08:06 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

the biggest ive driven on my car licence is a 7.5 ton removal truck. wiped a phone box out on the pavement after not considering the rear end swing.
Old 30-09-2009, 07:03 AM
mozzy
Ford for life

My Nan did not drive for app 10 years then when my grandad got struck down with cancer I took her out to get her reaquainted with there car, she done fine, and doing lorry speed is fine for any car as long as they stay in the bastard slow lane lol. cant stand twats in the middle doing 50

ps she has stopped driving again now and my grandad is back to full health and back behind the wheel of there monsterous peugeot 1007 1.6 SPORT as he keeps reminding me lol, he thinks he is a formula1 driver with the paddle shift gears

Last edited by mozzy; 30-09-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 30-09-2009, 07:04 AM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well as long as she's not one of them that toes it when you're alongside, or overtakes you seconds after being overtaken
Old 30-09-2009, 07:07 AM
mozzy
Ford for life

No lorry does 59 unless limiter is broken - more likely you're confusing the over read of the speedo in comparison to the accurate tacho of the lorry.

Your nan should fuck off to the A roads if she can't do motorway speeds, and let the decent drivers get on with it

Artics were using the fast lane?
You mean the outside lane?
They're not slow, medium and fast you know

56 then you picky fucker lol. and i know which motorway lane is which. i just call them slow middle and fast but i am fully aware of the real names. just me being a numpty
Old 30-09-2009, 07:12 AM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

56 then you picky fucker lol. and i know which motorway lane is which. i just call them slow middle and fast but i am fully aware of the real names. just me being a numpty
Wasn't being picky, just pointing out why people think they go faster!

I blame car handbooks quoting mpg at 56 (usually), this will be a true 53, and most lorries do between 52 and 56, so sitting at this you're gonna be causing mayhem.
Old 30-09-2009, 07:15 AM
mozzy
Ford for life

Wasn't being picky, just pointing out why people think they go faster!

I blame car handbooks quoting mpg at 56 (usually), this will be a true 53, and most lorries do between 52 and 56, so sitting at this you're gonna be causing mayhem.

think my nan was just overly scared at the time, her and my grandad were in a bad accident a few years back, (i should not laugh but grandad forgot to put the handbrake on and as they climbed out there old daihatsu grand move rolled down a hill a dragged grandad with it, nan who has bad ms tried to get to his aid but she tumbled and fell in a ditch fpmsl) then with this of grandad having half his insides removed on her mind she was terrified of doing things on her own and inc driving but withing a few trips out i got her back up to scratch

Last edited by mozzy; 30-09-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 30-09-2009, 07:21 AM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What gets me though, people aren't comfortable doing 70, but will sit there with 44 tonnes a foot from their rear bumper, same alongside them, and same in front of them.
Rather do 70 than be in the middle of a 100 tonne sandwich!
I dunno just can't understand it, got lorries doiing 56 down country lanes, and cars doing 50 on the motorways
Old 30-09-2009, 07:23 AM
mozzy
Ford for life

Me to, I like to make use of the limits
Old 30-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Pissing my self at the tags

And this thread is cringe worthy on so many levels, the first page is intense enough
Old 30-09-2009, 12:00 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What gets me though, people aren't comfortable doing 70, but will sit there with 44 tonnes a foot from their rear bumper, same alongside them, and same in front of them.
Rather do 70 than be in the middle of a 100 tonne sandwich!
Thats something i cant get my head round too. It seems that some drivers are their own worse enemy.
Old 30-09-2009, 05:03 PM
The Rapid 1
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by S1rst
I have to agree about the granny using lane one at 50 odd mph. This is what causes half the trouble to start with. If a driver is not confident enough on the motorway to keep with the flow of traffic then they shouldnt be on there in the first place. There putting themselves in the firing line by doing so, and it would be far safer for everyone for them to do 65-75 like everyone else.
70 mph is NOT a TARGET it is a recomended MAXIMUM in GOOD conditions.
I believe the MINIMUM speed limit on a motorway is 30 mph, so as long as maintaining that then no problem.

I am quite happy and comfortable at 70 mph thank you very much, infact got flashed (yep only blue lights and not stopped THANKFULLY) at speedo reading of 105 mph the other night, BUT am generally driving while commuting to work at 50mph for fuel economy reasons.
It is other "skilled" road users to negotiate me not me to be bullied into speeding up ! Like the lorry the other day lorry about 1-2 ft from my bumper keeping flashing. Did I speed up ? Not a chance, well not till he tried to overtake, obviously dont normally but they gonna piss me off then they get the same contempt and childish behaviour back.

Steve
Old 30-09-2009, 06:59 PM
mozzy
Ford for life

Originally Posted by The Rapid 1
I believe the MINIMUM speed limit on a motorway is 30 mph, so as long as maintaining that then no problem.

I am quite happy and comfortable at 70 mph thank you very much, infact got flashed (yep only blue lights and not stopped THANKFULLY) at speedo reading of 105 mph the other night, BUT am generally driving while commuting to work at 50mph for fuel economy reasons.
It is other "skilled" road users to negotiate me not me to be bullied into speeding up ! Like the lorry the other day lorry about 1-2 ft from my bumper keeping flashing. Did I speed up ? Not a chance, well not till he tried to overtake, obviously dont normally but they gonna piss me off then they get the same contempt and childish behaviour back.

Steve
I had a similar thing in Bristol centre once, a young idiot in a 7.5 tonner in a major hurry, sat behind me flashing his lights and tailgating so i would speed up, did i fuck, when we got to traffic lights and seen him do the wanker sign i was out of my van and asked him what his problem was, he got chopsey saying hes in a hurry to make a delivery etc, i explained i can oly go as fast as the car in front, he then got abusive agin so i squared up to him and he quickly backed down the fucking coward, then i drove at 20 mph across the centre and blocked him from using the bus lane to lol
Old 30-09-2009, 08:25 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by The Rapid 1

Steve
Yes thats right 70 is the maximum, but its all about keeping with the flow of traffic.

Yes of course people are perfectly entitled to do 50 in lane one and cause hassle for the hgv's and everyone else if they wish, but thats a pretty selfish attitude to have in my opinion. Someone sat in lane one at 50 causes so much hassle behind them for everyone else, and this is one of the reasons why traffic builds up and slows everyone else down as a result, causing road rage and potential accidents.

Last edited by S1rst; 30-09-2009 at 08:26 PM.