General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

smokers

Search this Thread

Old 25-09-2009, 01:47 PM
mozzy
Ford for life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default smokers

any smokers on here considering giving up. if so what way are you planning on doing it, I have to quit, been getting chest pains at the age of 24 i smoke far to heavily, ie 50 per day usually (does not help as i work alone at night and just smoke one afte the other to pass the boredom.
i cant be bothered to try this nhs helpline rubbish

i want to know what actually works.

i gave up 3 years ago and lasted 18 months without a problem then stupidly started again Last time i quit when i had the flu i never smoked for 3 days as the taste of the cigarette made me ill so i just went cold turkey and it worked, i have tried just stopping again but not working this time, i get grouchy and pains in my chest which go if i have a ciggy.

any suggestions
Old 25-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I gave up over 2 1/2 years ago now... Stu and PON had just gave up a short time before me and Stu wrote a proper essay on how he over coming the cravings...

Personnaly i think its one of the best things i've done.. Feel so much better, taste, lung function etc... Just a shame i started all them years ago really lol

I thought it was gonna be a long struggle but it wasn't...

I can see where your issues are as you've gave up before with no bother... Not sure if Stu will see this but he might have the old thread stashed somewhere... Might be worth an ask via PM
Old 25-09-2009, 01:59 PM
mozzy
Ford for life

when i quit last time i found that i gained nearly two stone in 18 months through eating more crap but lost it again now thank god lol, i am a stable 16 stone now but am 6ft4 so dont look it lol
Old 25-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i gave up for 3 years and started again i keep saying im going give up and im going to do it this time and not only for a few days ive got under 40 fags now and i go on hoilday on monday so they will be gone by then and im going do alot of different things on hoilday and will not buy any plus not being able to smoke in the hotel will help me out..I WILL DO IT
Old 25-09-2009, 02:04 PM
mozzy
Ford for life

Originally Posted by ** T **
i gave up for 3 years and started again i keep saying im going give up and im going to do it this time and not only for a few days ive got under 40 fags now and i go on hoilday on monday so they will be gone by then and im going do alot of different things on hoilday and will not buy any plus not being able to smoke in the hotel will help me out..I WILL DO IT
good luck, i found it hard on holiday though, sat out side of a nice bar in spain in the sun with a cold beer and a fag, was like heaven lol
Old 25-09-2009, 02:05 PM
stucos71
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hypnotherapy usually works.

Dont really believe in all that shit myself, but my cousin and one of my mates tried it and never looked back. A lot of places give you a refund if it doesnt work.........Result.

I should really try it, doh lol
Old 25-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mozzy
good luck, i found it hard on holiday though, sat out side of a nice bar in spain in the sun with a cold beer and a fag, was like heaven lol
no only going to bournemouth with my little girl so i wont be in that sort place anyway more like sealifes and walking round loads
ive done it before so will do it again

when you giving up?or trying to
Old 25-09-2009, 02:08 PM
mozzy
Ford for life

no only going to bournemouth with my little girl so i wont be in that sort place anyway more like sealifes and walking round loads
ive done it before so will do it again

when you giving up?or trying to
gotta do it when i am on a few days off work as driving around for 12 hours at a time makes it hard, i hardly smoke when im home, its just when im working
Old 25-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Sp3no
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I smoked my first ciggi at the age of 11, just a couple a day, then by the age of 14 it was 10 a day then by 16 it was 20 a day. I smoked 20 a day till the age of 26, would easily smoke 40 a day if i was out clubbing or fishing.
My girlfriend got pregnant and that became my reason to give up, that was 8 months ago and i have not smoked one single ciggi since. I went completely cold turkey on it. Why feed your addiction with patches and gum etc, just get it out your system fast.
I have gone from just under 12 stone to 13stone 8, that was my peak, happily i am losing weight now so i think i will settle somewhere around 12 1/2 stone.
I dont even think about smoking, not at all, it never crosses my mind anymore. The first 2 weeks were HELL but it slowly gets easier.
The wierd thing is i feel no better for not smoking, but financially its good.
Old 25-09-2009, 03:24 PM
need_4_speed

Originally Posted by stucos71
Hypnotherapy usually works.

Dont really believe in all that shit myself, but my cousin and one of my mates tried it and never looked back. A lot of places give you a refund if it doesnt work.........Result.

I should really try it, doh lol
i have'nt smoked in 2 years, and this was down to hypnotherapy it really did work, give it a go, iv never looked back, even the thought of having a ciggy makes me sick 2 my guts.
Old 25-09-2009, 03:29 PM
mozzy
Ford for life

my problem is a feel hypnotised already so will probably just snap out of it lol
Old 25-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Kris_23
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I always think about quitting but nobody likes a quitter.
Old 25-09-2009, 03:42 PM
paul16v
Monte 087

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Im interested in trying hypnotherapy as an aid to quitting how much is it roughly & do you need a couple of sessions ?
Old 25-09-2009, 06:15 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dad found a awsome way of giving up, just after they told him he had throat cancer, and removed his voicebox.
I wish you all the best in giving up, ciggys aren't worth your health.
tabetha
Old 25-09-2009, 06:24 PM
mozzy
Ford for life

Tabetha, sorry to hear about your Dad, its reasons like that i have to quit, my state of health already at age of 24 is pretty poor so now is the time to sort myself out before its to late
Old 25-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

The best advice I can give is to invest in Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking, and read it with an open mind. I read it and stopped for three years easy as ya like! I did start again though, but that was for valid reasons.....

I started to read the book again a couple of months ago but stopped because I'm not quite ready to give up the fags yet, as daft as it sounds. But when I am ready, I know that reading it cover to cover WILL stop me!
Old 25-09-2009, 07:53 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i wnt to my docs to see the nurse and she gave me some tablets call champix, you still smoke on them but you have a set day to quit after about 6 days every fag i wanted tasted shit and then stop on your day you said you were going to quit and take the tablets untril course is finished

unfortuantly they worked to a degree with me but i just forgot to take them as i was so busy, ill be going back soon as i honestly think they do work

i know 4 people who have had them and quit within a week of taking them and they smoked around 30-40 a day

i smoke 10 a day if that but thats how ive always been
Old 25-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Sp3no
I smoked my first ciggi at the age of 11, just a couple a day, then by the age of 14 it was 10 a day then by 16 it was 20 a day. I smoked 20 a day till the age of 26, would easily smoke 40 a day if i was out clubbing or fishing.
In my life I have smoked 3, all when I was about 15 and wanted to look cool (as I thought!) but luckily for me I hated them and have never smoked since.. What a saving!
Old 25-09-2009, 09:43 PM
gazcos
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I wanted to give up and wanted to use some kind of nicotene replacement to ease myself of cigarettes because it had worked for me in the past but all the products are really expensive. Instead of going to the doctors and getting the hour long lecture to get the things on prescription i went to Boots the chemist. If you sign up to their giving up smoking programme you get the nicotine replacement products for about half the normal price. All you have to do to enroll is blow into a bit of kit which measures how nuch carbonmonoxide you have in your lungs then go back and do this every couple of weeks. I went back 4 times untill i had quit. I used patches and a plastic inhalator thing for when i really felt like i needed a bit extra to begin with.
Good luck with it.
Unfortunately you cant then get subsidissed cakes from the local bakers so I'm still spending a fortune LOL
Old 25-09-2009, 10:13 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

ive smoked for 12 years. ive quit puff, pills and charlie years ago and it wasnt that difficult tbh because i really just didnt enjoy being nutted anymore but i still love a fag and i think thats why i cant quit, i know i should for my health but i enjoy them too much
Old 25-09-2009, 11:04 PM
FletchCossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I smoked for 12 years @ 20-40 per day. Decided I needed to give up as I had health problems and hopefully giving up might help.

I went to the Doctors and the woman there said to make my last fag really discusting and prescribed me some patches. So I smoked 3 fags one after another which was proper strong, so made me cough and feel a bit sick. Went to the Doc's the next day and I blew into this thing and she agreed I had not smoked.

After the first week I felt the patches were a bit strong and made me feel dizzy and a bit ill. I told the woman I needed the lower patches and she said I was meant to be on the strong ones for 4 weeks. I got another prescription of the strong ones under her recomendation. My brother told me he cut the patches in half as they were too strong for him, so I cut mine in half.

Used these for another 2 weeks odd and one day my patch fell off. Thought I could go without, but I felt stressed and could tell I needed another patch or a fag. After another week I took the patch off and have not been back since!

I still envy a fag on nice hot days or in certain situations, but I can't afford Ł200 per month on fags anymore. Thats my sole reason I still don't smoke.

Ive put on 2-3 stone since giving up and can't seem to loose it
Old 25-09-2009, 11:38 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

if you wanna quit go for it mate but you saying you had chest pains worrys me my mate andy was saying this recently he was extremely fit and into sports etc , semi proffesional footballer and a smoker we all said the usual hyperchondriac banter stop being a wimp etc... he had a massive heart attack two weeks ago while out for tea with his missus he was pronounced dead at the scene. my advice if your having chest pains get them checked out straight away as it aint normal even for a heavy smoker at your age he was only 21 by the way
Old 25-09-2009, 11:51 PM
FRS-0197
Vinny

Default the last person to post......

on this thread wins a prize
Old 26-09-2009, 07:50 AM
mozzy
Ford for life

I started young in school as it kind of "looked hard:Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking" so to speak, and dont get me wrong the feeling when having a ciggy is so relaxing and feels so good which is why i am struggling to cut down again.... i am even thinking of transfering to a different department in work where smoking is not allowed as that would help me cut down easily but being out on my own in a van for 12 hours a night really takes its toll and makes it very very hard to quit.

thanks for the advice and stories guys and gals, gonna bite the bullet and see my dr i think
thanks again
Old 26-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For me, putting the cash for a packet of cigs in a glass jar every day and watching the money pile up was a good enough incentive.

Having my first kid helped too - I REALLY hate seeing mums and dads puffing away when they are holding a baby or young kid. Apart from the smoke, what about the risk of burning the poor thing if he reaches out to grab it, turns awkwardly, or whatever?

If they were walking about with a baby and a hot soldering iron, social services would be round in a shot!
Old 27-09-2009, 07:12 AM
mozzy
Ford for life

well I am off work Thursday and Friday so I am going to set my stopping time for then hopefully. will keep you posted
Old 27-09-2009, 09:23 AM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

I smoke 40 a day and im asthmatic , yet im fitter than most blokes that are younger than me
I dont drink or do drugs anymore so its my only vice . I keep saying im going to give up but i just dont have the willpower.
The tablets mentioned in this thread sound like a good idea .
Old 27-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

well I am off work Thursday and Friday so I am going to set my stopping time for then hopefully. will keep you posted
good luck ive got 7 left so looks like ill be starting tonight even got my mate to give up with me tommorrow as its a bit of a pain going round there in the mornings for my tea and she is smoking round me
Old 27-09-2009, 10:48 AM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

good luck ive got 7 left so looks like ill be starting tonight even got my mate to give up with me tommorrow as its a bit of a pain going round there in the mornings for my tea and she is smoking round me
Good luck to you both

Steve
Old 27-09-2009, 10:54 AM
CaftDunt
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Smoked for about 3 weeks when I was 15 cos I thought it was cool.... Knocked that on the head quite quickly though as I didn't see the point in it and I didn't like the taste
Old 27-09-2009, 11:04 AM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

I gave up smoking Thursday before last, apart from when I was down the pub on Friday at lunch and when I was at a party yesterday and about 5 people were smoking thats really the only time I have had cravings bad!

I have tried to give up on lots of occasions, but fags were to easy to get hold of, my mum smoked and my other half mum smoked and while we were buying our flat and I found it really hard.

But we are in our flat now, the Mrs doesn't smoke, and I don't want the flat stinking of fags, and I'm even in a new office where out of about 30 people only two of them smoke! So in essence, all my temptation has pretty much been removed!

So ten days so far and so good.

Its a lot easier when you don't have the temptation.
Old 27-09-2009, 11:18 AM
AJC
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 73 Posts

ive dropped how much i smoke from 20 to 10, so the next step is to get it out the system fully
Old 27-09-2009, 01:08 PM
SiZT
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to be on easily 20 a day, cost didn't bother me etc... I went to the doctors and they gave me some patches and mints (which are fucking horrible). Unfortunately I could never make it back for repeat sessions, so just started smoking again. I've moved onto rollies which is a big help, put less tobacco in etc.. I'm down to about 7 a day now, so it's an improvement.
Old 27-09-2009, 02:13 PM
BazW
Regular Contributor

I quit 7 years ago after smoking 20 a day for 10 years. The first 2 weeks is the hardest then it gets easier...big test was a week in and my mum came back off holiday with 400 Regal for me

You have to want to quit though, otherwise you're wasting your time and I wouldn't put much faith in hypnotherapy TBH, it can't give you will power if you haven't already got it. I set a date and got myself ready, on the day I binned any cigs, lighters and ashtrays and took it one day at a time...one day turns into a week, a week turns into a month...If you decide to quit on the spot you'll last a day at best. Used the gum for a week but it tasted like shit so stopped using that as quick as I could. Had a lung function test last year and was shitting it but my lungs were back to normal with no lasting damage so goes to show if you stop in time it's well worth it and that's before you get on the money you're saving...

I went through loads of stressful shit with my ex when we split and even then didn't start up again so I can't understand why people stop for a few years then start again?
Old 28-09-2009, 08:25 AM
mozzy
Ford for life

Originally Posted by BazW
I quit 7 years ago after smoking 20 a day for 10 years. The first 2 weeks is the hardest then it gets easier...big test was a week in and my mum came back off holiday with 400 Regal for me

You have to want to quit though, otherwise you're wasting your time and I wouldn't put much faith in hypnotherapy TBH, it can't give you will power if you haven't already got it. I set a date and got myself ready, on the day I binned any cigs, lighters and ashtrays and took it one day at a time...one day turns into a week, a week turns into a month...If you decide to quit on the spot you'll last a day at best. Used the gum for a week but it tasted like shit so stopped using that as quick as I could. Had a lung function test last year and was shitting it but my lungs were back to normal with no lasting damage so goes to show if you stop in time it's well worth it and that's before you get on the money you're saving...

I went through loads of stressful shit with my ex when we split and even then didn't start up again so I can't understand why people stop for a few years then start again?
just smoking one regal would put me off for life lol
Old 28-09-2009, 09:58 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

nothing like willpower to wake up and say "i wont smoke today"
Old 28-09-2009, 10:09 AM
hevangel

i gave up for 4 months cold turkey and the first couple of weeks were shit, but after the initial cravings, they seemed to die down. but i started smoking again cause i was proper stressed over the summer, i think i just need to find some other stress relief!
Old 28-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Mozzy, seriously mate, If you are getting chest pains, then seek medical advice from a doctor ASAP.

Last edited by Chip; 28-09-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 28-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hevangel
i gave up for 4 months cold turkey and the first couple of weeks were shit, but after the initial cravings, they seemed to die down. but i started smoking again cause i was proper stressed over the summer, i think i just need to find some other stress relief!
Try masturbation instead, its a lot healthier, and post some progress videos of how you are getting on.
Old 28-09-2009, 10:23 AM
hevangel

Originally Posted by Chip
Try masturbation instead, its a lot healthier, and post some progress videos of how you are getting on.
lol!!!!! bellend

Quick Reply: smokers