General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

coswroth people acting as buyers wanting to snatch

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:55 PM
RSLUBBY
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default coswroth people acting as buyers wanting to snatch

Has anyone seen a up turn in people posing as customers and trying to snatch the car off them.

I have had endless texts and phone calls with people wanting me to pick up from stations or come round late in the dark to view my car for sale. Why would you try and strike a deal for a car over a text then be ask for the seller to pick you up in luton of all places.

Ive been telling them all to ring in the morning and come to my works allthough i work out on the road as a rep. Will try to get them to come to to a mates or something.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:01 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 428 Likes on 403 Posts

i dont think people who text about buying a car can be serious buyers ,but there could be exceptions to the rule.when i bought my car off matt /silky16v i asked him to meet me outside a police station as i had a lot of cash on me and i was very wary,but he ended up being a gent ,so i think you should certainly air on the side of caution whilst giving people the benefit of the doubt.

cheer james
Old 06-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Sounds like typical chancers.

Its always been the same with high value cars. just have to be a bit sensible about things.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

oh yeah also remember a genuine seller wont mind you taking precautions for your safety as they will be a fellow enthusiast.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:23 PM
RSLUBBY
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Good thinking yeah well see if they ring now
Old 06-09-2009, 09:27 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lub theres a very well know person on here who i won't say, bought a cosworth off me at nearly midnight, i didn't care as i'm a late night sort of fella and a deal's a deal.
ok they came back with the spondoolics the next day at a sensible time but beat that a midnight cozzie deal

oh just forgot i sold a rs turbo to someone fron the same town and that was nearly one in the morning.... honestly. came saw test drove bought just like that
Old 06-09-2009, 09:34 PM
RSLUBBY
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Wierd how some people work just seemed a big coinsidence i had four phone calls/text deals close together to come and buy that evening if i met at a train staton or airport

Ian

Trending Topics

Old 06-09-2009, 09:39 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 428 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by RSLUBBY
Wierd how some people work just seemed a big coinsidence i had four phone calls/text deals close together to come and buy that evening if i met at a train staton or airport

Ian

ian i met matt at stranraer ferry,and as i said deal went a ok.

cheers james
Old 06-09-2009, 09:45 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had to pick a boy up from train station for my 4x4 saph and i drove to my house,he never even looked over the car or drove it and handed over the dough no probs
Old 06-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Saaamon
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate selling cars!! Especially when they turn up talking like they know all there is to know about cars when they clearly don't!
Old 06-09-2009, 10:02 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

Lubby I think you're being paranoid. As the seller you have the upper hand from the start.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:14 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i'll explain how the midnight deals work...

matey wants your coz and has the brass to finance the romance but he needs a driver to bring the car back etc.
or..

work shags up the normal viewing time and matey really wants the car so mentions about comming down and how far it is etc etc,usually that type of person hints they are buyers and have the loot and fook me who selling a car doesn't want readies??

for safetys sake i would use a relatives address if your dealing with strangers as it used to be a recipe for disaster giving out your address with a cozzie when selling in the automart now autotrader.

this is true i promise.

fella i know selling a rs lives opposite a police station,gives the address out to a few people from a dodgy area of the north west and the fooking car goes missing from right opposite the cop shop that night.
thats how it used to be selling cozzies, and them new websites that ask for your postcode and show it in the ad to all and sundry can piss off, i don't want a pikey knowing exactly where my 08 twin wheel caravan thats ready to go stays the night.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:35 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

thats the best thing selling cars to people you know through the likes of car forums etc...

makes it a bit better than selling/buying from a complete stranger.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:50 AM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i had 2 obvious travellers turn up last week to look at my transit van.they wanted to leave me the keys for their other transit while they took mine for a test drive-dont think so!i went out with them and halfway through they wanted to swap over drivers which meant me getting out-again dont think so....

they then tried to bid me stupid money on it,which i refused so they left.

a day later one of their "friends" rang me at 10pm wanting to come and buy the van that night if i would meet them at a motorway junction.......needless to say i politely refused!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:00 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I fucking hate pikeys, never never never trust the cunts ... To be honest if I ever sell a car, unless the phonecall seems 100% to me, I just say it's sold already. Not being racist at all, but the worst round here are the Indians/ pakistanis, always ring up And the first question is always "what's the lowest you will take for cash maaaate?" To which my reply is come and see the car and make an offer! Then you get a click as they put the phone down, and you never here from them again!Or you get a stupid offer, I have had offers for Ł400 on a car that's up for Ł1800

I remember now why I hate selling cars!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Ade
Fast Ford snapper

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Meeting at a train station or airoprt is pretty common in my experience!
I've travelled and likewise have met people who have travelled to meet me on a good few occasions..... All I can say is just speak to them on the phone and a get a feel for how genuine they are.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

i dont know what it is with Indians/ pakistanis and offering silly money? we get it even in the car park at work thinking they can barter the cost of parking down

Bartering may be part of thier culture but its not ours mostly. The price is what we expect you to pay is it really that hard to understand??
Old 07-09-2009, 11:28 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

i never meet anyone at my house whether selling parts or cars.

Did it once and just ha da load of agro - so no more.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:29 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

It is in an indians nature to barter

if you dont try you wont know will you
Old 07-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
I fucking hate pikeys, never never never trust the cunts ... To be honest if I ever sell a car, unless the phonecall seems 100% to me, I just say it's sold already. Not being racist at all, but the worst round here are the Indians/ pakistanis, always ring up And the first question is always "what's the lowest you will take for cash maaaate?" To which my reply is come and see the car and make an offer! Then you get a click as they put the phone down, and you never here from them again!Or you get a stupid offer, I have had offers for Ł400 on a car that's up for Ł1800

I remember now why I hate selling cars!
I had a civic for sale,i had loads of asian lads ringing me up offering me half the asking price!and without even seeing the car?also loads asking me why is it so expensive i will give you ex amount! i got so pissed off in the end i just told them to fuck off and put the phone down
Old 07-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by fordsportjay
i had 2 obvious travellers turn up last week to look at my transit van.they wanted to leave me the keys for their other transit while they took mine for a test drive-dont think so!i went out with them and halfway through they wanted to swap over drivers which meant me getting out-again dont think so....

they then tried to bid me stupid money on it,which i refused so they left.

a day later one of their "friends" rang me at 10pm wanting to come and buy the van that night if i would meet them at a motorway junction.......needless to say i politely refused!
Cunts! Good job you was wise to 'em.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Barry R
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my s1 turbo to a guy late at night came all the way from the west of wales on the coast came really late looked at the car for about 5 mins put it on his trailer and paid me full asking price
Old 07-09-2009, 01:34 PM
collierm
MP for K.I.S.S

My Mondy was sold to a guy in Ireland. He asked me loads of questions, sent him pictures etc. My wife met him at Newcastle Airport at 10:30 at night, did the deed, he drove to Stranraer and got the ferry back to Belfast.

Strangest sale I ever did.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by R4N S S

But thats just plain stupid in big chain shops with marked prices Youd think indian people would get the message.... small shops and markets fair doo's any discounts a bonus.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Some intersting ways of selling cars here lol.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:45 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by collierm
My wife met him at Newcastle Airport at 10:30 at night, did the deed
*chuckle*

....sorry, I'm being immature.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 07-09-2009, 01:58 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
But thats just plain stupid in big chain shops with marked prices Youd think indian people would get the message.... small shops and markets fair doo's any discounts a bonus.
yes i know - im must glad my parents dont that : cry:

to be honest the people that do that are the ones that havent been in this country long
Old 07-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Rs Baz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
"what's the lowest you will take for cash maaaate?"
i tel them its worth every penny of my asking price if you want to pay less go and find another one, but it does depend on the value of the car if i a have a corsa n reg for sale with 62,000 mile's on the clock 12 months mot in tidy condition for Ł500 i wouldnt drop any lower as i know some out there are going for Ł795 as to what mine is worth...

i told one guy to drive all the way back to cardiff after trying to offer me Ł200 less for a car i was selling yet the book price was Ł450 more than what i was asking for it
Old 07-09-2009, 02:23 PM
RSLUBBY
PassionFord Post Whore!!

He kept texting me all day got fooked off in the end and rang he seemed genuine english guy susded him out picking him up from the train station with a mate do the deal drive back to mine if he has and drop round the corner do a fools and horses and stand outside waving him off pretending its my house. Job done will let u know the outcome cheers guys for all your comments. Sold a couple of cars over the years never had wierd texts and people ringing at 10 oclock asking me to meet at train stations in half and hour and he will have proper wierd
Old 07-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Rs Baz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

rslubby i understand what your issue is the problem is there is many people out there that will buy a car late at night but you dont know how genuine thay are till thay turn up, if he's genuine and i was you i would give him some money back just for being the way you was with him, even if it was Ł20 for some fuel....

i bought my cosworth of someone at 11:40pm i didnt even bother to look at it, i just done a check on chassie number etc and that was it paid cash put it on the trailer and left
Old 07-09-2009, 02:54 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Originally Posted by R4N S S

Barter yes, no probs. take the piss and say the same old

"what is the lowest you will go to for cash" "come on do me cash deal" and then still try and get it lower - NO
Old 07-09-2009, 03:09 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was carjacked last year in similar circumstances, in daylight on an early friday summers evening. Couple of Asian lads turned up to look at the car, seemed interested, looked around it for 20mins etc etc.... cut a long story short they pushed me out the car whilst on a test drive.... car never found again and the cVnts had a free mint DC5 integra type r to strip/sell do whatever they do with.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:18 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

bucnh of cunts!!! Shame they were never caught
Old 07-09-2009, 03:20 PM
geordiegooner
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I sold my focus st to a guy in Ireland also. exactly the same asked me loads of questions, sent him pictures etc. Met him at Newcastle Airport at 11:30 at night as his flight was delayed, drove to the a1 and back paid up then drove to Stranraer and got the ferry back over.

easiest sale I ever done.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:23 PM
RSTurboSI
BANNED
BANNED

I wouldnt meet anyone at a trainsation, Or airport, Not scared of someone trying to take my car, as its insured, and they would need to try really hard because i wouldnt allow it.

I know a mate that was very lucky.

We live near East Midlands airport and he wanted this mate to meet him at Birmingham airport, Made no Sence as he was coming from scotland. We asked to why, He didnt respond, He then said that he couldnt find a flight from london airport to East Midlands, we check online and seen there was 3 different air lines that run from london to EM, So he called again and asked us if he could meet at this airport in birimingham, so we told him the flights, ref numbers, he then procceded into coming to East Midlands for a mate car, Lucky for this mate, We did come up with 4 cars, 10people that would make sure the money transfer, and the car transfer would be fine. The guy came with all his raghead mates, And said they didnt have the cash on them, As we parked in the short stay, can see the deal going on, we noticed the lads 4 of them, rag heads, tryed to make him hand over his keys, and do away with the car. logbook and Mot's ect that was in the car, The lucky part was, if he went on his own, the lads would of not stoped trying to take his car, But lucky enuff, he had some mates that backed him up, when we all walked over, making it look like we was heading for the entrance, not them, in 2 groups of 4 and 5, then grabed thease lads, and then called the police, was a good monent, We called the police and they arrived in amatter of like 5min or less.. They got arrsed for Atemptted robbery, and Grand theft auto, as well as verbal abuse, GBH, and attempt at harming, ABH and what not. after all that has happend.

we wont meet anyone at our homes, or places like this, if the buyer is really wanting to buy my car, they can meet me at a place i wish, not a place they wish..
Old 07-09-2009, 03:32 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by CossieRich
bucnh of cunts!!! Shame they were never caught

Nup never caught, even though i had 20 mins cctv footage of the scrotes on my driveway but the police still got nothing. I did get a parking ticket through about 2 months later from that reg plate but was on a golf!!!!

RIP Integra, probably in South Africa or somewhere by now!!!

Chris
Old 07-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

bet the cunts got off with no prison time as well.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:39 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

yup, and no doubt still doing it to other normal people. Luckily my insurance paid out within the month but not the point relaly, proper freaked me out that night.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

and the little bastards know where you live too which isnt good!!
Old 07-09-2009, 04:01 PM
CRAIG HAYTER
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Ade
Meeting at a train station or airoprt is pretty common in my experience!
I've travelled and likewise have met people who have travelled to meet me on a good few occasions..... All I can say is just speak to them on the phone and a get a feel for how genuine they are.

i have to agree with Adrain here

Quick Reply: coswroth people acting as buyers wanting to snatch