General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FTAO Chip

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts
Default FTAO Chip

Locking that thread of your build is a real teddy throwing thing to do mate, i didnt think you were like that! You give it enough surely you can take it?

Regarding the calcs. Do you think everything i or other builders build gets calculated? Its experience and a lot of things are already calculated anyways...i have building reg tables that show me what timbers i need for X span for joists etc and for roofs i use another table that shows me what timbers i need for X span @ X degree pitch @ X centres! Therefore GUESSING without measuring those timbers they look 120x47mm, which are not adequate to span that distance.

On one hand you dont care its only temp, but then you lock it cos no one will calculate for you
Old 02-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought exactly the same thing.

Benni.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:49 PM
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

where's the original thread anyways? I was enjoting that
Old 02-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Lee, people were starting to get all childish talking nonsense about children getting killed if they were on the roof etc, which as there are no children on the farm and even if they were they arent going to be allowed out on all roofs of buildings to play obviously, and not one of the "experts" came up with any numbers that I asked for, so it was getting no useful input, as im on holiday at the moment Im hardly online (I dont really use the net much when not working) so couldnt keep up with all the replies so was having to reply about 6 times in a go when I did pop online in the evening etc, so it wasnt achieving anything and was taking up my time.
You say I can give it, yes I can mate, and I stick to facts and figures, not ONE person replying on that thread had any useful figures to add to the party though, so it was nothing like the sort of input I provide when I claim to be an expert on a subject, useful input would have been appreciated, but there was none.

If anyone does have some actual numbers to PM me though, it would be appreciated.

We have no need to build it to the regs you are on about as they are designed for long term buildings and are UK wide regs that need to allow for 3 foot of snow on the roof in scotland etc, its the equivalent of saying a YB shouldnt be over 204bhp as thats all they are specced for etc, Im only interested in someones input as to wether its strong enough or not based on them actually knowing what they are on about enough to have useful numbers not just quote irrelevant regs at me.

You talk about experience, well ive got plenty of experience of other farm buildings, with LESS roof suport that have lasted decades or centuries local to me in the same weather conditions this will see, and none of them have had a problem.

Last edited by Chip; 02-09-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:52 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

it was the tags that made me laugh "it will end in tears "
Old 02-09-2009, 08:59 PM
panelbeater
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well in all honesty i thought it looked good enough, i have seen buildings worse than that profesionally built! in fact lee! if your driving through sheffield at some time you should take a look at the newly built nhs building on green lane in ecclesfield, that has some serious brickwork issues.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by panelbeater
well in all honesty i thought it looked good enough
I wonder how many people will go "oh sorry I was talking utter shit" in a couple of years when I bump the thread and the building is still fine? Im guessing none

i have seen buildings worse than that profesionally built! in fact lee! if your driving through sheffield at some time you should take a look at the newly built nhs building on green lane in ecclesfield, that has some serious brickwork issues.
The way people were going on about "I would be ashamed to have that at my house" etc, was laughable, so would I, but its not, its stuck behind an old workshop and no one can see it, its replaced a rotten hundred year old wood shed that hadnt been used for about 50 years on a farm, its not attached to some new built terraced house in a suburb so commenting on it in those terms really is totally fucking pointless.

If I had wanted building advice TBH I would have posted on a building forum, I was just posting a thread on a car forum as I quite often get people asking me when Im starting work on a couple of my projects that will be happening once I have the space to do them, so I just thought I would keep people updated with how soon or far off having workspace was happening for me, wasnt really looking for any feedback at all, as I have no real interest in talking about buildings in the first place hence im not on any building forums, lol

Last edited by Chip; 02-09-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:04 PM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markk
it was the tags that made me laugh "it will end in tears "
It never.

The rattle was after the tears
Old 02-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

LOL im sure most peoples replies about the falling of it and it being an emmbarassment were all in jest!

Surely you dont expect to post pictures of some really bad building work and not get stick for it? Come on Chip!
Old 02-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
LOL im sure most peoples replies about the falling of it and it being an emmbarassment were all in jest!

Surely you dont expect to post pictures of some really bad building work and not get stick for it? Come on Chip!
TBH mate, as its "fit for purpose" I didnt really expect any comments at all on the quality of it whatsoever, as I see no need for any, like I said, if I posted it on a building forum, or posted it in a "what are people's opinions of this" manner in the first place then obviously I would have been looking for feedback, but I wasnt, it was just a simple way to keep a lot of friends updated with progress at once, didnt really occur to me anyone who doesnt know me would be interested in it much TBH, but thats cause I personally have no real interest in sheds and barns etc other than just working out how many cars I can cram into them but obviously to some other people they are fascinating in the way that engines are to me, lol
Thing is its not me actually making any decisions on building it, or designing it etc anyway, so really no point at all anyone trying to discuss it with me, if they could have given me useful calcs so I could provide actual useful input back to my mate then fair enough, but no one was actually saying anything quantified at all, you quoting irrelevant regs at me doesnt help anyone, its not a residential building and doesnt need to be built to residential regs, its like someone having a banger car and a load of MOT testers quoting how it wouldnt pass an MOT, what use is that?

Last edited by Chip; 02-09-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:17 PM
CoupeUK
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Could you not call DIY SOS to come fix it all up for you?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Chip
but obviously to some other people they are fascinating in the way that engines are to me, lol
Yup, i love buildings/building trade etc. I love my job. I love watching building programmes like grand designs etc. Its as much of a hobby as it is work for me, which is why im so interested and why im so keen with attention to detail!
Old 02-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
Yup, i love buildings/building trade etc. I love my job. I love watching building programmes like grand designs etc. Its as much of a hobby as it is work for me, which is why im so interested and why im so keen with attention to detail!
Weird then that you dont actually know anything other than just following regs? When im interested in stuff I always want to know the facts and figures etc. But then I guess thats just another way in which people are different, as soon as the issue of strength got brought up, my natural instinct straight away was to want hard facts not guesswork if it was going to be discussed as to me discussion without any facts at all is a lot less interesting.
Still, be a boring world if we all wanted the same things from our hobbies I guess
Old 02-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Mark V8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 166 Likes on 145 Posts

Why not screw stirling board or ply top and bottom to increase the strength if there is a worry ?
Would be warmer as well.

Mark
Old 02-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by V8 EsCos
Why not screw stirling board or ply top and bottom to increase the strength if there is a worry ?
Would be warmer as well.

Mark
When I last spoke to my mate, thats exactly what his plans were if some came up at the right money.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:28 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

it wont fall down unless your planning on parking a car up there.
you wont find anyone with real life experience that will know the load bearing capabilities of 6x2 off the top of there head. and if you do, dont invite them to a party as theyll be a right boring fook.

Last edited by fuzzy; 02-09-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by fuzzy
it wont fall down unless your planning on parking a car up there.
My opinion too mate, but a load of "experts" seem to know better
Old 02-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Weird then that you dont actually know anything other than just following regs? When im interested in stuff I always want to know the facts and figures etc. But then I guess thats just another way in which people are different, as soon as the issue of strength got brought up, my natural instinct straight away was to want hard facts not guesswork if it was going to be discussed as to me discussion without any facts at all is a lot less interesting.
Still, be a boring world if we all wanted the same things from our hobbies I guess
See if you read what ive wrote, ive told you i go on experience and calcs. You CANT build extensions without going to the regs so i have to follow them, i fail to see why that is relevant.

And no, as interested i am in building etc i have no intention of calculating how much weight a 5x2 joist can carry. If i wanted to do that id be a structural engineer not a builder. Its totally different and irrelevant to what im talking about really!
Old 02-09-2009, 09:39 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

I read the whole of the initial thread from front to back and found it very interesting from a neutral point of view.

Chip, you've never worked on a car and used your experience over some quoted numbers ? Any Tom, Dick and Harry can come along throwing figures around but surely you can't beat good old fashioned experience? I'm sure you'd be one to agree with this no? Which is why I think Lee's opinion should still be worth listening to as he does sound like he is drawing from his own personal experience to give his opinion which sounds like a valuable one.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:40 PM
john
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What really got me was the name calling, of possible Chips friends helping in this build. If you Lee, if you were a building inspector slate the build on a profesional basis for the said local council and state, or a second opinion ' Shadrock Dingle '. This to me was pretty offensive plus one or two other posts. Face to face this would not have happned and may have come across to far. Maybe where the thread was locked. Ok slating but getting personal on personal. NO.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Chip

Pani, no one replying was doing so from any experience, you only have experience of what point something will fail at if you have built something that failed, and no one seemed to have any such experience, they were saying they had built stronger things that hadnt failed, but thats obvious anyway so didnt seem of any use at all.
I like to mix a scientific knowledge of a subject with experience before I consider myself anything like expert on it, not just one or the other.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by john
What really got me was the name calling, of possible Chips friends helping in this build. If you Lee, if you were a building inspector slate the build on a profesional basis for the said local council and state, or a second opinion ' Shadrock Dingle '. This to me was pretty offensive plus one or two other posts. Face to face this would not have happned and may have come across to far. Maybe where the thread was locked. Ok slating but getting personal on personal. NO.
John, yes I also thought that calling my mates dad who is kindly helping out with the work as he has more free time than us despite being almost 70 a load of abusive names was a long way off topic for a thread about where im going to be building my next project car.

Last edited by Chip; 02-09-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:44 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

I didn't mean in terms of whether your particular building will fail or not mate, I mean in terms of the weak points he has pointed out and what advice he has given for what materials should be used to improve it. Although such a failure might never have occurred with similar building techniques, methods and materials used here, always going to be the first unfortunately

Anyway good luck with the build, hope it turns out well and you have a nice place to carry out all your work.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Chip

* double post

Last edited by Chip; 02-09-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:48 PM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

just had a look at the pics,agree with lee etc but c'mon lee ,LADDER ANGLE

that wtf pic is funny tho,looks like he has built around a branch!
Old 02-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Chip

Pani, saying that it all needs totally redoing in order to meet regulations for a residential property is of no constructive use, personally if I was replying to that thread (and bear in mind im not claiming to be any sort of building expert even) then I would say the same thing I said to my mate which was "might be worth running an extra beam across perpendicular to the roof frame so it halves the span which will massively increase the strength" but no one was providing any useful info at all they were just bitching it should be neater and all that sort of nonsense, no useful input was given at all, just pages of pointless bitching.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:54 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

just pages of pointless bitching.

Touche(with a little accent)

a std Chip involved thread
Old 02-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by markk
Touche(with a little accent)

a std Chip involved thread
Not at all mate, I actually aim to provide useful input among the bitching, thats the key difference
Old 02-09-2009, 09:58 PM
john
PassionFord Post Whore!!

John, yes I also thought that calling my mates dad who is kindly helping out with the work as he has more free time than us despite being almost 70 a load of abusive names was a long way off topic for a thread about where im going to be building my next project car.
Quite nasty for a so called nice guy it seems. I have no view on this build as i know shit, Though my mother in Doncaster was looking for some serious renovation work in spitting distance of Lee and from previous posts i was going to recomend, but afer the name calling puts me of. Sounds pety and would not like any back stabbing going on behind my mothers back is she disliked something. Imagine the usual respone, we have to much work anyway, but then again you aint seen the job or the size of my mothers place and planning, but times can be hard even for the good builders they all need work and recomaditions.

Sorry for the rant but personal attacks from profesional are well out of order.

Last edited by john; 02-09-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Chip

John, Lee's posts did seem somewhat unprofessional for someone who claimed to be replying in a professional capacity, they have nothing of any use to me like some calculations showing how much snow it would or wont take etc, and contain plenty of name calling and bitching, I dont personally mind a bit of bitching and banter, but I at least try to intermingle it with a bit of something I feel will help the person in question generally.
To then drag it on into another thread after that one was shut, seemed even more like he was just desperate to bitch for the sake of it TBH
Like you say, seems out of character for how I have previously pictured Lee, but then I only "know" him from on here and the internet always was a lousy way to assess anyone, lol

Last edited by Chip; 02-09-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:03 PM
john
PassionFord Post Whore!!

John, Lee's posts did seem somewhat unprofessional for someone who claimed to be replying in a professional capacity, they have nothing of any use to me like some calculations showing how much snow it would or wont take etc, and contain plenty of name calling and bitching, I dont personally mind a bit of bitching and banter, but I at least try to intermingle it with a bit of something I feel will help the person in question generally.
Lets hope for his sake he does have a big work load as i'm sure he does by previous posts, hence me thinking of asking. Though i know people all over all counties of yorkshire who are home owners and i would not recomend him to anyone now after pety insults.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:04 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

Looks like the old boy needs a good hair cut aswell
Old 02-09-2009, 10:06 PM
RUPERT THE BIG HAIRY BEAR
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

god i really carnt belive theres a thread to arguee about chips garage he builing for his new project cars if he builds it and falls down tuff shit but if it dont well then good lol but i dont see y you all need to argue about it like this
Old 02-09-2009, 10:09 PM
PT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Lets hope for his sake he does have a big work load as i'm sure he does by previous posts, hence me thinking of asking. Though i know people all over all counties of yorkshire who are home owners and i would not recomend him to anyone now after pety insults.
Is this all because he called him "shadrack"
Stop taking things so serious John, lighten up. Didnt see it as an insult, it was funny.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:25 PM
john
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by PT
Is this all because he called him "shadrack"
Stop taking things so serious John, lighten up. Didnt see it as an insult, it was funny.
I also saw it funny, i'm 28 and love the good life, but as a builder as he is up in yorks, if he can slag work of as he can and think of work of here, what i wont give now he has lost. I lighten up every day of my day pal. Life is good for me just stating one person slating someones work.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:35 PM
leecavturbo
Advanced PassionFord User

Lee, people were starting to get all childish talking nonsense about children getting killed if they were on the roof etc,
you bit
Old 02-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

I thought of the likes of that Shadrack comment as a joke. And it is exactly the kind of thing you'd say on a site. If you can't take a bit of banter in that line of work then you won't last long!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

So because the guy was giving his honest opinion as opposed to saying how lovely he thought it was like everyone else, you would suddenly not want him to have work? If that's not pety I don't know what is.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Chip

multipager coming up, and all with no actual content or purpose for the thread even needed
Old 02-09-2009, 11:12 PM
RUPERT THE BIG HAIRY BEAR
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

this whole threads petty

Quick Reply: FTAO Chip