General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

How many people on here run Emerald ECU

Search this Thread

Old 31-08-2009, 03:31 PM
youngben
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How many people on here run Emerald ECU

and what are your views? reliability... quality... upto the job of a 450hp zetec engine?

any input would be much appriciated
Old 31-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Icurus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run an Emerald K3 for my non turbo engine.

Reliability is not an issue, there a solid bit of kit.

And why would it not be upto the job of running a Turbo engine? It has all the required inputs and has a fast enough processor to do the required calculations to run anything on the road I believe.
Old 31-08-2009, 04:39 PM
youngben

i dont know mate thats why im asking the question thanks for your input
Old 31-08-2009, 04:50 PM
pee vee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use one

Reliable yes. never had a single issue. as long as you make the loom properly you'll be fine.

More than up to the job of running your zetec turbo.
says it does launch control ETC. but unsure if the software actually does that YET.

the instructions are clear, making your own loom is easy.
the only issue i see with Emerald is the software. if you are mapping it on a RR or engine dyno, its great... if you are gonna map it on the road, its not quite so easy.
but still possible, just takes a bit longer.
Old 31-08-2009, 05:30 PM
youngben

will be getting mapped on the rolling road by an authorized dealer down in the Taunton, Somerset area. but never heard much about the ecu so was a bit negative about having it fitted. what sort of ecu's is it on par with? i dont want to finnish my car and then that go and ruin all my hard work
Old 31-08-2009, 05:36 PM
saph4be
PassionFord Post Whore!!

is any one using one on a yb?
Old 31-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

will run it fine mate. i have just bought a DTA S40 ecu for my zetec turbo. no real price difference between that/emerald or omex but i belive its a bit more user friendly.

ill let you know in a few weeks!
Old 31-08-2009, 06:54 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i have it on my zetec turbo, chip said the thing he didnt like with it is you have to keep pulling over and saving to change map instead of doing it whilst driving and it doesnt replay (datalog?) but i havnt had any problems using it tbh
Old 31-08-2009, 07:11 PM
PGT

i have no experience of emerald or mapping any system or even any car so treat my views with caution!

at the power levels that you wish to run emerald may limit your choice of injectors as it can only run high impedance injectors properly and most injectors large enough for 450hp are low impedance.

cue tabetha!
Old 31-08-2009, 07:12 PM
youngben

ahh so its like a dream science then? where you have to change it save it then upload it then see if its worked rather than live mapping? glad its all good things so far so good! so its on par with omex then?
Old 31-08-2009, 07:14 PM
youngben

Originally Posted by PGT
i have no experience of emerald or mapping any system or even any car so treat my views with caution!

at the power levels that you wish to run emerald may limit your choice of injectors as it can only run high impedance injectors properly and most injectors large enough for 450hp are low impedance.

cue tabetha!
thankyou mate i am running RC 750cc injectors they are High Impedance its these ones

http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?Pag...ROD&ProdID=461
Old 31-08-2009, 07:20 PM
clarke5700
YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL

Originally Posted by rst in breaking
i have it on my zetec turbo, chip said the thing he didnt like with it is you have to keep pulling over and saving to change map instead of doing it whilst driving and it doesnt replay (datalog?) but i havnt had any problems using it tbh
no it was the fact that you could not do live updates, as in every time you did a change to the map you had to press ctrl-Alt-s or some think along them lines.
Old 31-08-2009, 07:41 PM
youngben

Originally Posted by clarke5700
no it was the fact that you could not do live updates, as in every time you did a change to the map you had to press ctrl-Alt-s or some think along them lines.
sorry mate i dont see what you mean in respect that you would need 2 hands as you would be driving? or pressing those buttons would cause problems? could it be live mapped with ease on a rolling road?
Old 31-08-2009, 07:49 PM
clarke5700
YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL

Originally Posted by youngben
sorry mate i dont see what you mean in respect that you would need 2 hands as you would be driving? or pressing those buttons would cause problems? could it be live mapped with ease on a rolling road?
no mate i meant that when a change has been made to the map its not a case of just changing the map and it will update the ecu instantly as like most other ecus. with the emarald you have to make a change then press ctrl-alt-s i think it was

the way it was explained to me was that say this system was being used on a cossy any you were mapping it at WOT and high rpm and it starts to run lean you would want to change this instently where you would have to click ctrl-atl-s then wate a split second for it to change.

where most other ecus you could just up the value on the needed map sight and it would change it INSTENTLY

and as for driving with one hand and mapping with the other.........i dont advise this lol

Last edited by clarke5700; 31-08-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 31-08-2009, 08:01 PM
youngben

Originally Posted by clarke5700
no mate i meant that when a change has been made to the map its not a case of just changing the map and it will update the ecu instantly as like most other ecus. with the emarald you have to make a change then press ctrl-alt-s i think it was

the way it was explained to me was that say this system was being used on a cossy any you were mapping it at WOT and high rpm and it starts to run lean you would want to change this instently where you would have to click ctrl-atl-s then wate a split second for it to change.

where most other ecus you could just up the value on the needed map sight and it would change it INSTENTLY

and as for driving with one hand and mapping with the other.........i dont advise this lol
makes seance now thank you for your help mate. strange i thought values changed instantly wander why it does that!

any more input?
Old 31-08-2009, 08:05 PM
clarke5700
YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL

makes seance now thank you for your help mate. strange i thought values changed instantly wander why it does that!

any more input?
as far as im awair this is the only ecu that does this. but if you fined some one with exparence with this ecu then wont fined this a problem

some one like dave walker i think he is called lol
Old 31-08-2009, 09:34 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

F8 page is shortcut to live update, if you make a change at any point you can store just that point, though it is very tedious, and er involves pressing the big enter button on the keypad.
I use the K3 as do a lot of others, some one make series are almost exclusively k3, though not sponsored by them.
It can use pretty much any sensor type, and can do to sequential ignition for high revving stuff if needed, coil on plug, 5 cylinder engines, V12 27 litre rolls royce merlin engined rover sd1's running two dizzys and 24 injectors, just for example, with a few mods to ecu.
It doesn't have any gimmicks that are no use, just have a look on emeraldm3d.com.
The people behind the firm emerald are quality people, best bit is you get to speak to the people who designed it and use it and map it, although there are people that Dave Walker(1/2 of emerald) supplies ecu's to that also map them.
They can run LOW impedance injectors with resistors, as I do but ran for 6 months without them at 2.1 ohm, ecu was fine, but injectors started overheating, this was purely down to my cock up I might add.
tabetha
Old 31-08-2009, 09:39 PM
youngben

Originally Posted by tabetha
F8 page is shortcut to live update, if you make a change at any point you can store just that point, though it is very tedious, and er involves pressing the big enter button on the keypad.
I use the K3 as do a lot of others, some one make series are almost exclusively k3, though not sponsored by them.
It can use pretty much any sensor type, and can do to sequential ignition for high revving stuff if needed, coil on plug, 5 cylinder engines, V12 27 litre rolls royce merlin engined rover sd1's running two dizzys and 24 injectors, just for example, with a few mods to ecu.
It doesn't have any gimmicks that are no use, just have a look on emeraldm3d.com.
The people behind the firm emerald are quality people, best bit is you get to speak to the people who designed it and use it and map it, although there are people that Dave Walker(1/2 of emerald) supplies ecu's to that also map them.
They can run LOW impedance injectors with resistors, as I do but ran for 6 months without them at 2.1 ohm, ecu was fine, but injectors started overheating, this was purely down to my cock up I might add.
tabetha
thankyou mate big help! im swaying more towards this route now! was going for pectel but been offered something i cant refuse and i know i wont get messed around
Old 31-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Icurus

As above, you can adjust the map live using the , wait for it, live adjustments screen!

Any changes here will take effect instantly, and if you want to store those adjustments you can then save them to the ecu, or with one key press you can remove them.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:43 PM
youngben

Originally Posted by Icurus
As above, you can adjust the map live using the , wait for it, live adjustments screen!

Any changes here will take effect instantly, and if you want to store those adjustments you can then save them to the ecu, or with one key press you can remove them.
ahh good stuff thank you mate
Old 01-09-2009, 09:12 PM
pee vee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Icurus

Yes, but in use, when mapping on the road.. the live adjustment screen adjusts literally just the single load site that the car happens to be in at that time..
Its basically quite difficult to hold the car at a very set load+RPM site
On the road, while you adjust it and check the results of that adjustment...

on the RR this is easy. as the rollers can hold the car at load points.

wish Emerald would do the software so that the GRID view could be made capeable of live adjustments.
apart from that its great

Last edited by pee vee; 01-09-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Icurus

Hmmm I see your point, not tried tweaking the map on the road yet

But i'm going to be giving it ago soon on the M20 between J9 and J8 where its quite flat to try and get better economy for driving upto Donny!
Old 01-09-2009, 10:29 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by pee vee
wish Emerald would do the software so that the GRID view could be made capeable of live adjustments.
apart from that its great
they could have it, its already out there, the mapping software that the emerald uses is written by GEMS, and its very old, the new software is in use by GEMS customers, all the other ecu companies have to do is buy it !
Old 02-09-2009, 08:47 PM
bouncy
Regular Contributor

I run the K3 and had no problems. I rang a few suppliers up first before opting for the Emerald. Dave Walker answered all my questions and seemed more interested in talking to me than others and he didnt try the hard sell.

I took my car all the way to his workshop for him to set it up, well worth the visit and excellent service. Even the lads opposite his premises stopped and chatted.

I havnt used any other management system so cannot comment on theres but if your in the range for a good affordable system, then Emerald ticks the right boxes.

Ohh and Karl has a mint old VW camper!!!
Old 15-10-2009, 09:18 PM
youngben

Originally Posted by bouncy
I run the K3 and had no problems. I rang a few suppliers up first before opting for the Emerald. Dave Walker answered all my questions and seemed more interested in talking to me than others and he didnt try the hard sell.

I took my car all the way to his workshop for him to set it up, well worth the visit and excellent service. Even the lads opposite his premises stopped and chatted.

I havnt used any other management system so cannot comment on theres but if your in the range for a good affordable system, then Emerald ticks the right boxes.

Ohh and Karl has a mint old VW camper!!!
has yours been mapped by Dave then mate?

is this management good with turbo applications?
Old 15-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

My main two issues with emerald

Its TPS vs RPM based only as far as I can see, ive never found a way of swapping the main load site over to be MAP instead.
Which means very crude correction on boost
(markk said it could be swapped but never said how, I believe he is mistaken or talking about some other software than what emerald supply)

When you make changes on the grid screen you have to make a load of key presses to get it to update, which makes it a total PITA for on the road mapping
(live update screen that tabetha mentions is no use for road mapping as you cant hold a load cell accurately on the road)

Having mapped most ECU's on the market, I personally wouldnt touch an emerald given a choice of anything else, I would much prefer to use something with more professional mapping software like megasquirt for example.
Old 15-10-2009, 09:47 PM
youngben

what about omex? any preferences?
Old 15-10-2009, 09:55 PM
youngben

the OMEX 710 for example?
Old 15-10-2009, 10:03 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Chip

(markk said it could be swapped but never said how, I believe he is mistaken or talking about some other software than what emerald supply)
from the software you and I screen shot then i also believe the version you have is no where near as advanced as the old version I was talking about, so I agree.

but a turbo engine on tps for load is crap.
Old 15-10-2009, 10:08 PM
bouncy
Regular Contributor

has yours been mapped by Dave then mate?

is this management good with turbo applications?

Dave mapped mine, he did me 3 maps and I havnt had any bother so far!!
The system seems to work fine with my turbo set up.
Old 15-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Chip

what about omex? any preferences?
Omex works pretty well, at least it can be run MAP based for load.
Old 15-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Roosie
500bhp Cosworth in making

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

i run it on a 500bhp cossie and will be running it on my race Saxo next year in stock hatch championship. Emerald, MBE and Omex are the favorite ecu in our championship and making good power from the 3. megasquirt was tried and soon chucked with a lot of the tuners in the championship
Old 15-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by markk
from the software you and I screen shot then i also believe the version you have is no where near as advanced as the old version I was talking about, so I agree.

but a turbo engine on tps for load is crap.
Yeah I prefer to use MAP, which as far as im aware you cant on emerald.
Maybe Tabetha can ask Dave for a definitive answer on if there is some other software that allows you to run it that way round or if the firmwear on the ecu only goes that way.
Old 15-10-2009, 10:36 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Chip
Yeah I prefer to use MAP, which as far as im aware you cant on emerald.
Maybe Tabetha can ask Dave for a definitive answer on if there is some other software that allows you to run it that way round or if the firmwear on the ecu only goes that way.

i dont know if emerald do any more advanced versions that use differant software, but for definate GEMS did write or should i say include emerald in their GWv3 and V4. yet its nothing like what you have shown here.
Old 15-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

iirc you right click the tps colum "green colour" then select map then it is rpm v's pressure

Last edited by Jay,; 15-10-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 15-10-2009, 10:43 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

here is how i select what i want to use for load, or infact through this list i specify what functions i want to switch on, what function i want to allocate to what ecu pin.
Old 15-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Nemesis,
iirc you right click the tps colum "green colour" then select map then it is rpm v's pressure
Ah, mint, will try that sometime then.

All the ones ive mapped have already where on a base map so ive just carried on from where they were at anyway, but with something like Paul's where I can spend the time on it to start from scratch i'll do it that way, far better!

Thats cool then, should be fine for the application the OP has in mind if it will work that way round, I still dont like the interface for road mapping obviously but at least it sounds like you can set the load value properly
Old 15-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Chip

Just checked on an empty map, that works, nice one jay

Name:  emerald-map.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  106.6 KB
Old 15-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

ill refresh myself with the software at work tomoz chip and screen shot it for you
Old 15-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

ah kool then in setup irrc you setup ur load sites

Quick Reply: How many people on here run Emerald ECU