General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Targeting criminals same as targeting poor people???

Search this Thread

Old 25-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Targeting criminals same as targeting poor people???

Ok been having a few problems at work. Ive been mostly on the car park this last week and have had a couple of complaints against me by the public.

The whole car park is a no smoking zone as defined in law because its an enclosed space. It is well signed everywhere except by one area where most people walk in (it is only not signed because the criminal who i caught smoking had ripped down the sign, but still the signage is well within the legal requirements).

Quite often smokers think the law does not apply to them and smoke and usually when told its illegal to smoke there, they apologise and stop.

But this week I have encountered 2 people who became abusive over me telling them to stop smoking. They both had pretty similar complaint that why should they be told where they can and cant smoke and that I'm targeting poor people!! My reply to them is that breaking the smoking laws has nothing to do with being poor! they both became verbally abusive so i told them i would call the PCSO's if they didnt stop smoking. They both stopped smoking, swore at me and walked off before complaining to customer services!!

Now ive had similar reactions from people who have no road tax on thier cars saying that I'm targeting poor people by sticking warning notices on thier cars.

Now i dont understand possibly how targeting criminals is targeting poor people???? yes some criminals may be also poor but they are not being targeted because they have no money but because they are committing a crime!!

I have discussed this with a PCSO and he said that at Bentilee (the local rough council estate) approximately 40% of the vehicles on the road are illegal in some way be it tax, insurance, MoT, license etc but he explained that they cant just keep a load of police cars there to catch the cars and sieze them as it would be seen as targeting a poor community. Yet he couldnt explain why it would be seen as that.

Surely its simply the fact that someone is committing a crime not the fact that they are poor that is relevant??? Im sure theres plenty of middle class and rich people who also commit crime yet you dont hear about them whinging " your targeting the rich" etc

Whats your views??
Old 25-08-2009, 08:41 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You go out sticking notices on peoples cars for no tax???? You need a life! No offence like, but why waste your precious life doing that? Use the time to better yourself!
Old 25-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Dub604
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that your totally right!! There are people who are wore off that others who for some reason think that the world owes them something.

What we need is a police chief who dosent take any shit!! send in the calvery to this estate and if a car is illegal in any way, tow the fucker. start issuing fines and making arrests put them in jail. Or just keep reporting every car to the dvla that dosent have any road tax on it. Just do your bit mate.

its a shame that the phrase "Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime" dosent mean anything.
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

its his job
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your a security guard right? Your turning into a jobsworth IMO
Old 25-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Jimboxr4x4
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

why can't they smoke in a car park? Is it in a building? If it's open air I can see their point and I'd be pretty annoyed if someone told me to stop smoking (not that I'm a smoker)
Old 25-08-2009, 08:54 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

whats the road tax got to do with you if your a security guard? are you issue with notices to apply to cars as part of your job?

Trending Topics

Old 25-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
You go out sticking notices on peoples cars for no tax???? You need a life! No offence like, but why waste your precious life doing that? Use the time to better yourself!
Because I'm paid to!! we have printed "reminder/warning" notices to stick on untaxed vehicles and we do sometimes call the DVLA man and/or police for complete wrecks.

Originally Posted by Nath
Your a security guard right? Your turning into a jobsworth IMO
How is doing my job being a jobsworth??? also these people are comitting an OFFENCE so how is it being a jobsworth to stop them?? its not like im sticking parking tickets on a hearse or ambulance is it???

Originally Posted by Jimboxr4x4
why can't they smoke in a car park? Is it in a building? If it's open air I can see their point and I'd be pretty annoyed if someone told me to stop smoking (not that I'm a smoker)
The car park is an enclosed place for the purposes of the recent smoking laws and therefore it is an offence to smoke here. We allow people to smoke on the roof level of the car park if they throw thier cigarette butts in a bin (another bug bear is litter bug smokers!!!).
Old 25-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

jimbo, if its illegal to smoke there then its the company's responsibility to ensure nobody does, so it is warrens job to stop them!
Old 25-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Jimboxr4x4

Sorry mate but that sounds really weary. I would be too embarassed to confront a criminal (smoker).
Old 25-08-2009, 09:02 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

i hope the wage they pay you is worth the risk your taking of a blade across your cheek.
Old 25-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

to be clear i only view them as a criminal once ive told them to stop and they refuse as then they are knowingly breaking the law rather than just being ignorant. (albeit in law ignorance is no defence, i choose to cut some slack )
Old 25-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by fuzzy
i hope the wage they pay you is worth the risk your taking of a blade across your cheek.
its a car park fuzzy, not some dark alley!!! Plus if they did that theyd get the "torch of truth" used on them
Old 25-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Jimboxr4x4

Sorry, but a geezer smoking in a car park don't make him a criminal. If I was one of them pcso lot and you rang me reporting this I would think it was a joke.
Old 25-08-2009, 09:09 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

you ring the pcso and they say "look sir, can you stop pretending your a pretend copper"
Old 25-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Sorry, but a geezer smoking in a car park don't make him a criminal. If I was one of them pcso lot and you rang me reporting this I would think it was a joke.
well the law says it does

Also its the PCSO's job to deal with antisocial behaviour, illegal smoking/drinking/littering etc. Theyve made it in many areas that a copper cant even issue a penalty notice for littering and you have to call the PCSO. Guess they have to justify thier existance.

Originally Posted by fuzzy
you ring the pcso and they say "look sir, can you stop pretending your a pretend copper"
Old 25-08-2009, 09:15 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Sorry, but a geezer smoking in a car park don't make him a criminal.
In your eyes maybe, but he is!!
Old 25-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Jimboxr4x4

I won't ever see your point if view on this I'm afraid. Chamging the subject i'm just Reading through your puma cossie resto thread - awesome motor.
Old 25-08-2009, 09:19 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

What if you saw a criminal, smoking a fag, breaking into an untaxed car in your car park?

You'd have a fucking heart attack
Old 25-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Jimboxr4x4

Originally Posted by St3V3_C
In your eyes maybe, but he is!!
Now I think about it you're absolutely right - send them all to wormwood scrubs the villianous lowlifes!
Old 25-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Dre.1983
PassionFord Regular

I know its the law but I find laughable that you cant smoke in a car park but you can drive your car in there and leave it running churning carcinogens out!
Old 25-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

so what about drinking in the street jimbo??

Its as simple that the law says its legal or not. breaking the law makes you a criminal.....

Many of us are criminals to a greater or lesser extent!!!
Old 25-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dre.1983
I know its the law but I find laughable that you cant smoke in a car park but you can drive your car in there and leave it running churning carcinogens out!
In Glasgow, they've made it illegal to have your motor running unneccessarily in the street.

And up here, our smoking law is slightly different to that in England. It is another offence here to "knowingly permit smoking on the premises" so if you are in charge of a shop/office/carpark and don't deal with a smoker, you can be fined yourself. Now that it is genius!
Old 25-08-2009, 09:41 PM
coleman
Always in the background

I lol'd hard at this thread!
Old 25-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Fast Guy

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mikecozza69

What we need is a police chief who dosent take any shit!! send in the calvery to this estate and if a car is illegal in any way, tow the fucker. start issuing fines and making arrests put them in jail.

I was watching some police program about an estate in Hull the other night and it came across to me that if the residents all came out everytime the police came to do something, the police would more or less back down and the mob rule won
Old 25-08-2009, 09:57 PM
CRAIG HAYTER
BANNED
BANNED

i really dont think smoking in a car park makes you a criminal................come on be serious ffs sorry Warren but have to really disagree with you here bud imoa in the nicest why to say this.................are you god and do no wrong?because if you do some thing wrong your a criminal for life!!! it will be on your criminal record
Old 25-08-2009, 10:01 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I am a smoker, but abide by the law, if you shouldn't be smoking in an area then you shouldn't full stop.

May not be the crime of the century, but if your doing it and someone asks you not to as your not meant to, then you shouldn't be giving them shite for doing their job.

As for claiming to be picking on the poor, its the white mans race card equivalent lol!!
Old 25-08-2009, 10:07 PM
CRAIG HAYTER
BANNED
BANNED

Matt i agree on some you say ok in a building etc etc but a car park..........come onits an open space
Old 25-08-2009, 10:11 PM
littleknocks
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by CRAIG HAYTER
Matt i agree on some you say ok in a building etc etc but a car park..........come onits an open space
Multi storeys aint.
Old 25-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by mikecozza69
What we need is a police chief who dosent take any shit!! send in the calvery to this estate and if a car is illegal in any way, tow the fucker. start issuing fines and making arrests put them in jail. Or just keep reporting every car to the dvla that dosent have any road tax on it.
Same with gyppos though, the police dont have the balls to do it.

Originally Posted by matts1
I am a smoker, but abide by the law, if you shouldn't be smoking in an area then you shouldn't full stop.
Exactly!! its not rocket science!!
Originally Posted by matts1
As for claiming to be picking on the poor, its the white mans race card equivalent lol!!
commonly used by thiefs and Chavs from my observations
Old 25-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
well the law says it does

Also its the PCSO's job to deal with antisocial behaviour, illegal smoking/drinking/littering etc. Theyve made it in many areas that a copper cant even issue a penalty notice for littering and you have to call the PCSO. Guess they have to justify thier existance.

you can also tell a PCSO to basically fuck off and walk away if they ask you to stop.
Old 25-08-2009, 10:29 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree that it isn't something that you should be classed as a criminal in the sense of having a record for it, way to far. It's more penalty offence.

The truth is it is people with a lack of respect, like jumping a que or parking in a disabled bay, if your not meant to do it, then general respect for others should tell you not to.

What grates me is when people get agro for being asked not to.

Where I park at work there is a cross hatched bay, it is there so that people parked up are able to back out, yet everyday people park their cars in the hatched bay making reversing out a nightmare.

If you ask them not to they look at you like shite and walk off if not give you gob. But those same people kick off when they get clamped "what the harm, why have I got claimed"

They have no respect for others and so the odd penalty works wonders, sadly there is always another pr*ck to follow them the next day.
Old 25-08-2009, 10:31 PM
CRAIG HAYTER
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by littleknocks
Multi storeys aint.

well everyone in dundee that i have been in is
Old 25-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Elwood
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Warren, get it together!

Where a person can / cannot smoke and untaxed cars are not criminal matters.

Crime is stuff like sex offences, assaults, buglary, robbery, theft etc.

Around Sussex, the respective councils deal with breaches of smoking law. As for untaxed cars, the council send out a representative along with a PCSO in a van and they just lift stuff that's been untaxed for one month plus.

When I read the title of the thread, I thought you had a written an essay on how the lower socio-economic groups (who typically have little or no money) are always in trouble with the law. I was going to reply "because most of them are bored, immoral recidivists".
Old 25-08-2009, 10:38 PM
littleknocks
PassionFord Regular

All the multi storey car parks that you have been in are open air?

Dunno if its different from england up there with the classification, but we have this:
What is the definition of 'enclosed' and 'substantially enclosed'?

The Health Act 2006 sets out that premises that are open to the public, or are used as a place of work (by more than one person or where members of the public might attend to receive or provide goods or services) are to be smokefree in areas that are enclosed or substantially enclosed. This includes both permanent structures and temporary ones such as tents and marquees. A roof includes any fixed or movable structures, such as canvas awnings.
Old 25-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I think you are misusing the word criminal.
But yes I agree with you that you arent specifically targetting poor people, just ignorant people.
Old 25-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

So the ground floor of your multi storey carpark has no form of roof above it, like say another floor of parking for example?

I think you have been conned a bit on the whole "multi" thing there mate, thats just a car park
Old 25-08-2009, 10:50 PM
CRAIG HAYTER
BANNED
BANNED

chip there is a roof above obvcourse but its not completely sealed fucking air tight thats going to kill you isnt itffs come on this thread when i first read it thought it was going to be something more criminal than smoking!!!whats next farting is a crime because its toxic fucking smells?
Old 25-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I despise smoking in public full stop. Even in the open space, like the town centre for example. There should be enclosed shelters they have to cram in and smoke. If I was to walk round with a T-shirt on which read 'I hope you get Cancer' everyone would hate me and people would attack me. But people are knowingly allowed to increase your risk by passive smoking?

It's a dirty habbit and it should be banned in public... Completely! I have nothing against it at all, it's the fact that I have to breathe it in which annoys me.

Benni.
Old 25-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Dre.1983
PassionFord Regular

chip there is a roof above obvcourse but its not completely sealed fucking air tight that's going to kill you isnt itffs come on this thread when i first read it thought it was going to be something more criminal than smoking!!!whats next farting is a crime because its toxic fucking smells?
As I said above, I think its taking the smoking ban a bit too far when your allowing cars emitting noxious exhaust gasses in the same space.

Quick Reply: Targeting criminals same as targeting poor people???