General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mobile Speed Camera Vans......

Search this Thread

Old 24-08-2009, 05:20 PM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mobile Speed Camera Vans......

The big fookin Transit thing with big stripes on the back and a camera poking out a black window........... that I didnt see till last minute

What kind of range do they get you from????? I was driving about 40 ish in a 30 too busy listening for an engine noise and didnt spot the van till I was fairly close and had slowed down behind an astra van, which pulled out in front of me about 100 meters before the camera van. Im expecting points
Old 24-08-2009, 05:33 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can get you long before you see them and react.
Hundreds of metres.
Old 24-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Gary F
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ian as long as you get your speed down before the van you'll be surprised what you'd get away with. Happens to me all the time, cunts still get me for not wearing a seat belt in the van though
Old 24-08-2009, 05:37 PM
littleknocks
PassionFord Regular

Apparently they're so good they can get you when you're sat at home thinking about taking the car out. Also can get you from round a corner, and even when they're not there!

Seriously though, pretty bloody far away. Though when I have seen them and had to scrub some speed off, ive never heard owt. Maybe they have to get you doing consistent speed over a distance?
Old 24-08-2009, 05:38 PM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cally I suspected that. Balls

Gary, fingers crossed mate

Knocks, I hope so mate.

Last edited by BigErn; 24-08-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 24-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Rich_bloor
rich_bloor@hotmail.com

Speed guns, dont they have a target in a sight with a dot in the middle, the dot has to be on your numberplate (the flattest bit of the front of you car) and they press the trigger, it shoots a laser? and its bounced back off the numberplate into the gun about 6 times and the distance you have covered gives them a speed.

Im sure the further away you are, the safer you are, they have to get the dot on the numberplate for a second or two before they get a speed. even if they have it magnified, they would have a job keep it on your numberplate from far away.

Limited knowlage i know, CHIP should know more about it
Old 24-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Rich_bloor
rich_bloor@hotmail.com

I always wanted to park behind one of them vans in my van and start eating some butties right behind them, see what they do
Old 24-08-2009, 05:51 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_bloor
I always wanted to park behind one of them vans in my van and start eating some butties right behind them, see what they do

or drive past really slow, park up................. "alright boys, lovely day for it?, fancy a dinky doughnut? "

Old 24-08-2009, 05:52 PM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

the road I was on is like a big S bend then straightens, Im presuming it will only get you on the straight bit not the bendy bit??? Unfortunately Id travelled a couple hundred yards on the straight before I spotted the damn thing
Old 24-08-2009, 06:18 PM
dangerousbrian
Advanced PassionFord User

wot road was it on like ern? dean at work might have got caught today aswell..was sat in a layby at grangetown
Old 24-08-2009, 06:29 PM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Down next to Bristol St mate coming from Alex bridge way, had just been to Marky's. It was just past the Vauxhall turning parked on the grass on the other side. Bastards.
Old 24-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They got me on the motorway from a flyover that has no slip roads to join or leave the motorway, so obviously a major potential accident blackspot - honestly, the number of times people must throw themselves off that bridge and into the path of motorway traffic!!!!

The photo with the speed on is so far away that you can barely tell what kind of car I'm in, far less read the plate or see who is driving. The second pic has my plate, but with the sunvisor down it could be anyone in a white shirt.

There are rules about the alignment of the road where they take their readings, so it may be worth doing some research - Google and Pepipoo are your friends.
Old 24-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

If you can see them, they can see you!
Old 24-08-2009, 06:44 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

i came down a long steep hill towards one once, it was parked on the flat at the bottom. the speed limit changed from 50 to 30 at the top of the hill and i just lifted off, but being a hill i didnt slow down much until i jammed the anchors on half way down. not heard anything and it was about 8 months ago so i presume they can't look up, not that its any help to you.
Old 24-08-2009, 07:00 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

There are loads of 'guidelines' they're meant to follow but they seldom do. The problem is that for speeding cases your guilty unless proved innocent, and if you attempt to prove your innocence your fine and points go up!

They're all cunts who are WAY more interested in profit than saving lives. The Camera Partnerships are run as small businesses and it's in their interest to catch you not deter you.

They're only supposed to check your speed if they think you may be going too fast, but they don't, they just point their magic gun at every car they see.
Old 24-08-2009, 07:01 PM
woolford

I read somewhere it about 500yard range..
Old 24-08-2009, 07:03 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

had a close one the other day, was racing along at over a ton and thought i best wait for my mate, went round a sweeping corner on the motorway and wooo theres a damn camera van ! thank god i slowed to 70 and waited !!!
Old 24-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Originally Posted by J1mbo
had a close one the other day, was racing along at over a ton and thought i best wait for my mate, went round a sweeping corner on the motorway and wooo theres a damn camera van ! thank god i slowed to 70 and waited !!!
Your irresponsible bastard!!!!

You should know after watching top gear that you only get downforce at high speed, your lucky you didn't crash going round the sweeping corner.

Remember kids, if there is a sweeping bend on the motorway, accelerate, if not you may die.
Old 24-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Ade
Fast Ford snapper

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

They can get you REALLY far away, I know, been there a few times!

Even if you jam on the anchors and crawl past they probably got you at first sight.
They're only meant to sit within a certain amount of yards after a speed camera sign, so I'm always on my guard now when I see them...

Also if you want to try and contest who was driving remember to flip the sunvisor down and hide behind it/put on shades/a paper bag etc etc... as soon as you see one!
Old 24-08-2009, 07:09 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if they only send you one picture, as how they can proove how fast you were going without another picture time stamped to use as a gauge to see how much distance you covered

did that with one on the A249 years ago and they never got back to me
Old 24-08-2009, 07:26 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

I went past one on a dual carriageway at quite a lot over 80, never heard anything though luckily!
Old 24-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Rich_bloor
rich_bloor@hotmail.com

over 170 mph they can't get you! or was that just the speed cameras they tested on topgear ?
Old 24-08-2009, 07:40 PM
woolford

just them gatso things
Old 24-08-2009, 08:23 PM
bazpro
PassionFord Regular

there was one in houghton aswell today next to the cop shop. fuckin allover the place at the mo!
Old 24-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dojj
if they only send you one picture, as how they can proove how fast you were going without another picture time stamped to use as a gauge to see how much distance you covered
With the camera vans you only get the pictures if you ask for the evidence. The first has the instantaneous speed recorded and the second is only for identification of car (and driver).

Because the cameras they use are deemed to be so reliable that they can calibrate them just once a year and stick the certificate on the safety camera partnership website, there are no road markings at most of their locations, as there is no need for the two pics to confirm the distance travelled.
Old 24-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by Rich_bloor
Afpmsl. I wonder what could they do?

Benni.
Old 25-08-2009, 01:36 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
With the camera vans you only get the pictures if you ask for the evidence. The first has the instantaneous speed recorded and the second is only for identification of car (and driver).

Because the cameras they use are deemed to be so reliable that they can calibrate them just once a year and stick the certificate on the safety camera partnership website, there are no road markings at most of their locations, as there is no need for the two pics to confirm the distance travelled.
that's a bit shit then isn't it

i'd just say that seeing as a HUGE articulated lorry had just gone past the van and shook it visably, there is no way that you would be able to trust those resluts or replicate them
Old 25-08-2009, 07:00 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

99% record on disc, a few older ones record on VHS, so quality is not so good.
The device needs 1/700th of a second to establish your speed, the camera is auto focus as quick as you can move it, it focuses.
They can get you whether moving towards or away, the X only needs to be on any part of the car, it will get a cycle in front of an artic with perfect precision.
They take set up shots, this is done by pointing at a nearby stationary object, aensuring it reads zero speed.
They could read the small print on the bottom of a number plate at 1/4 mile without any problem at all.
They record and wipe all the time, if any offence is seen the save button, a red square is pressed.
Next time you see one ask the operator to explain it to you, most are only too glad.
tabetha
Old 25-08-2009, 07:11 PM
fiestamk2
Regular Contributor

they get you close up ive seen them do it.ive seen the camera in a lay by really close up and it was watching two lanes and close distance.how fast was you going
Old 25-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Mark V8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 166 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
99% record on disc, a few older ones record on VHS, so quality is not so good.
The device needs 1/700th of a second to establish your speed, the camera is auto focus as quick as you can move it, it focuses.
They can get you whether moving towards or away, the X only needs to be on any part of the car, it will get a cycle in front of an artic with perfect precision.
They take set up shots, this is done by pointing at a nearby stationary object, aensuring it reads zero speed.
They could read the small print on the bottom of a number plate at 1/4 mile without any problem at all.
They record and wipe all the time, if any offence is seen the save button, a red square is pressed.
Next time you see one ask the operator to explain it to you, most are only too glad.
tabetha
I sometimes see a big police van with a cop in the back pointing a camera up the road on the way to work, what happens if they are facing you and you are riding a motorbike - which has no front number plate ? do they have a back up camera pointing forwards as well ?

Mark
Old 25-08-2009, 09:07 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

and the speed limit range is 10% plus 4mph

so in a 40mph zone you may well get a way with anything upto and inc 48, but at 49 youre screwed.

Unless its a zero tollerance then your are fooked at at 44mph

For example , my missus was done at 32 mph in a 30 mph zone, it was a zero tolerance week lol.
Old 25-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by st3v3
and the speed limit range is 10% plus 4mph

so in a 40mph zone you may well get a way with anything upto and inc 48, but at 49 youre screwed.

Unless its a zero tollerance then your are fooked at at 44mph

For example , my missus was done at 32 mph in a 30 mph zone, it was a zero tolerance week lol.
Sorry mate, the Association of Chief Police Officers settled on 10% + 2mph as their guideline on prosecution threshold, but that is entirely at the officers discretion because speeding is an "absolute" offence - anything above the limit is illegal and can be prosecuted - which is why I was done at 80mph and someone else I know was done by the same camera the same day at 79.
Old 25-08-2009, 09:38 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
Sorry mate, the Association of Chief Police Officers settled on 10% + 2mph as their guideline on prosecution threshold, but that is entirely at the officers discretion because speeding is an "absolute" offence - anything above the limit is illegal and can be prosecuted - which is why I was done at 80mph and someone else I know was done by the same camera the same day at 79.
Fair enough mate :bow: as always the police move the goalposts to suit them, its to be expected.
Old 25-08-2009, 09:39 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

The only chance you have got is if he was doing his 'close up' of the car before you, and didn't get to see you.

You'll know in a couple of weeks lol.
Old 25-08-2009, 09:39 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

edited-double post
Old 25-08-2009, 09:48 PM
p.cressie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Benni
Afpmsl. I wonder what could they do?

Benni.
Not a lot if you are a wagon driver and your tacho said its time to stop