General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

harvey gibbs 450bhp engines are they good?

Search this Thread

Old 20-08-2009, 11:35 PM
andy-rs
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id say, the hammer both charlie shaw and ag give there lumps says it all really!
Old 20-08-2009, 11:41 PM
gviliukas
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by jaw79
just joined today as i have been up to harvey gibbs at scs and paid 4grand off my cosworth engine it has been built and tuned to 412bhp i was expecting the 450bhp mark. has anbody had one done by harvey or been in one built by harvey gibbs would realy like to hear your comments. thanks.
Is that from complete stock engine?
Old 21-08-2009, 12:02 AM
Pardeep
PF's Guitar God!!!

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
The T38 is a bit of an odd turbo IMHO, makes the power but Torque is appalling compared to a T34 or T4..

Never used harvey for anything big myself, but did a good job on my mates saff, and did a nice job on my big wing sump. At the end of the day you are dealing with very highly tuned 2.0 engines here, anything over 400BHP will have problems at some point or another, no matter how careful the build. It is just a fact of life IMHO, and I would certainly trust SCS with my car, and I am a total nutral in this situation. ...
Is that 400bhp for everyday use? A mate of mine run 390/410 in his Saph everyday but gets problems left, right and center. If its 400bhp for everyday use, i'll tell him to go to SCS and get a new engine
Old 21-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by Ollie.
It says he paid 4k. If you ask harvey for 450hp you get 450hp.
It states he paid Ł4000 off the engine. Not that he paid Ł4000 for all of it.

Benni.
Old 21-08-2009, 12:05 AM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Just out of curiosity what do you get internally for Ł4k?? on a 450 build
Old 21-08-2009, 12:21 AM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Benni

Benni.

Yes im capable of reading. I actully figured it was a typo.
Old 21-08-2009, 01:10 AM
madmack99
I Love BooST

Benni.
was going to say the same thing
Old 21-08-2009, 01:11 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Billabong
PEAK torque from a T38 may seem low compared to the short lived (rev's-wise) spikes achieved on a T34 Will, but the spread of torque is much better (and don't forget when you came out in mine, it was carrying a few hundred KG extra )

My 450bhp engine has been bullet proof. Best Cosworth engine builder in the business IMO. My tuner of choice for more years than I want to admit

Love these sort of posts - minimal info, a bit of implied controversy and watch the post count rack up......

As said above, if you'd asked & paid for 450, you'd have got it.
Bill, as said in your for sale post, your engine is fantastic and revs very very smoothly for a YB ... I just think the T38 is a bit of a no mans land turbo, 90% of the lag of a T4 and 70% of the torque of a T34 with neither of the "conventianal" turbos strong points.... ... Been out in 4 T38 cars now, 2 UT and 2 TT, all feel flat in the midrange compared to a T34 or T4 IMHO.....

Don't get me wrong, My Escos will be running a UT T38, but I can forsee a GT 30/76 or .71 or BB T4 being on there as soon as it is mapped on a T38
Old 21-08-2009, 07:06 AM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

editted.didnt read page 2. oops

seem to anyone else like a shit stir again though?his first post is moaning and he aint been back since

Last edited by Bullett; 21-08-2009 at 07:10 AM.
Old 21-08-2009, 07:19 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Ive mapped tens, and supplied chips for maybe hundreds of them, all excellent engines in my opinion.
Old 21-08-2009, 07:25 AM
B16JUS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

if you have paid for 450bhp you should get at least 450bhp certainly not less

J
Old 21-08-2009, 07:27 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jimbo seems remarkably quiet for once. Usually has plenty to say

The thread starter really needs to tell us the spec of his engine.
Old 21-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Turner RS
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by BRAMMER
Just out of curiosity what do you get internally for Ł4k?? on a 450 build

Everything would be standard internally except, you'd get lowered compression with valve cutouts, ported head and their own specced cams with uprated head gasket and possibly a 6 long stud conversion.

Tuners normally only get unhappy customers when something goes wrong with a build be it a mistake or a fault with a product and fail to do anything about it, ie warranty lasts until you leave the workshop. I guess though its rare to have issues so by ignoring the customer or charging them to put it right they save big money and just rely on the happy customers shouting these folk down like they are making it up. LOL.
Old 21-08-2009, 07:43 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

My 450 engine ported head & inlet,valve cut outs,scs cams,6 long studded block,low comp pistons,t38 turbo,p8 ecu with air to air..
Old 21-08-2009, 07:56 AM
andrewg
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by B16JUS
if you have paid for 450bhp you should get at least 450bhp certainly not less

J
450 i'm sure is just the term they use for this stage of engine so it could easily only be 441 ...
Old 21-08-2009, 08:20 AM
ESCYSCOTT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine seems very good although she was built to run a GT28 turbo and run 400bhp, I now have 454bhp on a TT38. Admitedly she is laggy but once the boost comes in she just pulls and pulls and pulls unlike a T34 that runs out of puff after the initial spike! I'll be changing to GT30 after I get a tranny upgrade though. (If I don't sell her before then!!)
Old 21-08-2009, 01:46 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by carlo
My 450 engine ported head & inlet,valve cut outs,scs cams,6 long studded block,low comp pistons,t38 turbo,p8 ecu with air to air..
Nice one mate, i think i'll be needing a new spec & 200 block soon as i want to run different cams
Old 21-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Asturias
Part of the Furniture

The 400 engine we had alot of probs tbh,would I recommend? No!.

Its the head porting though that needs commending-someone else does that,beyond that though pretty simple with a Mountune inlet cam and AB chip.
Old 21-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Ive mapped tens, and supplied chips for maybe hundreds of them, all excellent engines in my opinion.
Just out of interest, why would you map someone else's engine?

Benni.
Old 21-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Its Dave
Advanced PassionFord User

Strange topic

How much did the total bill come to? Also what did you have done?

Then we can comment if its good or not

Cheers
Old 21-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I think we only getting half the story here,whos rolling road did you use,or was it dyno tested
Old 21-08-2009, 04:36 PM
totalbhp

just joined today as i have been up to harvey gibbs at scs and paid 4grand off my cosworth engine it has been built and tuned to 412bhp i was expecting the 450bhp mark. has anbody had one done by harvey or been in one built by harvey gibbs would realy like to hear your comments. thanks.

This is the whole story.

You and your dad originally came here and asked me for a genuiune and reliable 400bhp engine. I said this is not a problem but it will be slightly more than 400 due to the turbo i prefer to use.

I spent around 2 and 1/2 hours with you and your dad sorting out the full spec and what i would be supplying and you both agreed with the spec and the total price.

After many phone calls telling you the engine was ready, you decided to bring me Ł3600 towards the final bill, of Ł5500 +vat, which was agreed.

When you came to pay the Ł3600 i told you that i mapped the engine on the dyno to the limit of the injectors which was 435 bhp, i decided to do the dyno sheet at 26psi/1.8bar as the engine was making 412 bhp. As you asked for 400, i thought this would be a good starting point. Also included in the build price is a level 8 ecu, modified for 12 position boost control, pectel board, air injectors, boost pot, throttle position switch, outright t38 turbo, big wing sump, amongst many other things, not supplied with the original box of parts you brought me.

If you are not happy, dont you think it would be better to speek directly to me, and save the slagging my company has got ?

regards Harvey Gibbs
Old 21-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jaw87,
To be fair to you, it is all the usual suspect band-wagon jumpers that have done the mud-slinging . You have asked a genuine question.

I would guess from the comments Harvey has made about the injectors being near their limit (and the power being capped to make everything reliable), that it is running Bosch 403 injectors? If so, unfortunately if you want to max the turbo out, you would need some head work and some higher flow injectors, all of which would add to your original budget. So it looks as though basically you got the best you could, given the hardware you supplied and the budget you dictated.

Obviously if you had wanted 450, you should have stated this and this could have been costed into the build, rather than saying you wanted a reliable 400.... Assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups, so just because you have a T38 which is capable of producing the power, if you don't communicate correctly what you want, then it's a bit silly to feel short-changed....
Old 21-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Asturias
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Jaw87,
To be fair to you, it is all the usual suspect band-wagon jumpers that have done the mud-slinging . You have asked a genuine question.

I would guess from the comments Harvey has made about the injectors being near their limit (and the power being capped to make everything reliable), that it is running Bosch 403 injectors? If so, unfortunately if you want to max the turbo out, you would need some head work and some higher flow injectors, all of which would add to your original budget. So it looks as though basically you got the best you could, given the hardware you supplied and the budget you dictated.

Obviously if you had wanted 450, you should have stated this and this could have been costed into the build, rather than saying you wanted a reliable 400.... Assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups, so just because you have a T38 which is capable of producing the power, if you don't communicate correctly what you want, then it's a bit silly to feel short-changed....
Nothing wrong with 'flinging mud' when you have spent 6k and recieved a bag of bolts in return.

Are you trying to insult my and others intelligence?
Old 21-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Pardeep
PF's Guitar God!!!

Originally Posted by totalbhp
You and your dad originally came here and asked me for a genuine and reliable 400bhp engine. I said this is not a problem but it will be slightly more than 400 due to the turbo i prefer to use.
^ I think that's enough said to be honest. Fair Play, it was a assumption on his side. Harvey seems to have done what he was told.
Old 21-08-2009, 06:35 PM
cossie daz

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i have never used SCS for anything apart from a bare block i bought a few years back .i think what harvey gibbs has said sounds good and i think you should have spoken to him first and if nothing was sorted out between you then you should make a complait towards him and say you want it fixed or come to a solution.
Old 21-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dont u just love keyboard warriors trying to shit stir cos they dont have the bottle to deal with the company themselves.

Went out in JB fletches old 2wd saph many years ago and that thing was a fookin animal!! so deff gets my vote.
I spoke to harvey a couple years back on advice from rainbird and he undercut the quote i got from julian godfreys (who is also a bloody good company) so the car was going there untill the RAC refused to take it as it wasnt taxed anymore and they sent a van with spec on the back rather than the low loader i was hoping for and then due to buying a house i never managed 2 re-arrange getting it back up there

and now im skint
Old 21-08-2009, 07:12 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

whos built the biggest bhp yb out of harvey and mad/
Old 21-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Turner RS
Regular Contributor

Looking at this i see no slagging off by the poster?

Would need to know, as said, the full spec turbo/injectors etc
Old 21-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by col cos1

Col you'd be better off deleting that and i'll remove the quote cos that'll turn messy.
Old 21-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Reading it back in fairness he hasnt slagged the company off but the wording is a bit shit lol, saying he was expecting 450 and hasnt got it can come across as implying he hasnt got what he's paid/paying for but maybe wasnt meant like that?!
But asking a question like what are harveys engines like AFTER he's asked for it to be built seems a bit of a silly thing to do dont u think?!

Obviously saying he was expecting 450 when harvey was told to build a 400bhp motor has annoyed him a bit which is understandable as it does look like a dig.
Old 21-08-2009, 07:24 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Ollie.
Col you'd be better off deleting that and i'll remove the quote cos that'll turn messy.

lol was a serious question
Old 21-08-2009, 07:32 PM
AJC
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 73 Posts

i think jaw would of been better speaking to harvey. Also, why ask this question after getting his engine built!
Old 21-08-2009, 08:03 PM
600bhp escos
BANNED
BANNED

to be fair it looks like he was just asking the question and after what most have said hes had the right answeres..i bought a car with a harvey engine and i think its the bollox and every other engine iv seen or heard of is the nuts to...and im a tuner myself.lol..im even thinking of asking if harvey would dyno a couple of my engines..cheers danny
Old 21-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Its Dave

Originally Posted by col cos1

Mad
Old 21-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Just out of interest, why would you map someone else's engine?

Benni.
I have no idea why you think I wouldnt Benni? An engines an engine as far as im concerned. As a mapper we essentially just give it the spark lead, fuel and boost pressures that are available for the hardware fitted and it makes whatever power it makes. If it makes bad power when the boost is set correctly, the AFR is perfect and the spark table is optimised then its a hardware fault, nothing to do with the mapper...

Back on topic, Harveys engines always perform well and consume expected or more amounts of air when pushed and I have never had one in that is mechanically bad, hence my comment.
Old 21-08-2009, 08:29 PM
totalbhp

Originally Posted by Its Dave
Mad
Good reply dave maybe you should have stated who builds the biggest bhp engine that stays together its obviously not yours 1st time or second time !!!
Old 21-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Its Dave

Good reply dave maybe you should have stated who builds the biggest bhp engine that stays together its obviously not yours 1st time or second time !!!

The 1st time it was the block, right thats Marks fault

The 2nd time it was a small head bolt seal so it stayed together, only a 50p seal

How about you jog on with your stupid commentss

More than l can say for your big wing sumps

Last edited by Its Dave; 21-08-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 21-08-2009, 08:33 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Sorry Mr Gibbs................MAD all day long bruvva

Luciano
Old 21-08-2009, 08:36 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Its Dave
Mad

rods?

Quick Reply: harvey gibbs 450bhp engines are they good?