General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

why do i have a extra waste pipe in my sink ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default why do i have a extra waste pipe in my sink ?

ok ive started ripping out my bathroom,,, bored today so decided i want a new bathroom

ive started ripping out bits of wall and the sink and after the U-bend theres a pipe that comes off it thats lead to the soil pipe about 5 inchs above where the general waste pipe leads to anyway,,,,, thing is my sink has been blocked so part of my idea was to rip out the piping and start again,,,,, now i cant as this fucking pipe is welded to is and it goes through the main buildings wall,,,,, now every since my " ripping out the fireplace" idea i had a few years ago i tend not to bother with walls that look like they may hold the building up

what is this pipe used for ?,,,,, now ill admit im no plumber but ive got 2 weeks off to fit a new bathroom and learn things whilst im at it,,,,,

could this pipe be some sort of anti glug glug glug thing as in allow the water to drain quicker without sucking back for air

please help me as the missus is looking worried and im trying to pretend i know what im doing
Old 03-08-2009, 07:00 PM
tsutton
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take pics - it tells words a LOT better than text!
Old 03-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Pics would be good.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:01 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

a pic would be helpful,but im guessing its copper 1 1/4 pipe and the pipe is soldered or braised on.it probably is a vent/anti siphon pipe.depending how far the sink is from the soil pipe it might not be needed.i would cut them both out,plug the top 1 with a mcalpine plug and fit an anti siphon trap to the sink and renew the old pipe as far as possible with plastic and join it with a mcalpine coupling.
forgot to say,that will be £25 please.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:03 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

dont meddle with stuff you dont know about. itll end in disaster.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Spare one for a washing machine to use?
Old 03-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by fuzzy
dont meddle with stuff you dont know about. itll end in disaster.
im quite ok at learning things quick as i seem to have a knack for working things out and what they do, ive refitted a complete kitchen, rewired up a kitchen ( before the rules changed obv), fitted a electric shower with the help of passionford ( and a few pm's to tiff)

now im fitting a new bathroom as the current one is not only shite,,,,,, its got some access panels that stick proud of the walls, the sink has a blockage that i cant seem to sort out so,,,, changing the pipework and also,,,,,, well as said im off for 2 weeks,, we was ment to go on holiday but changed our mind and decided to fit a new bathroom

i would take pics but theres 2 problems

1; i aint got a lead for the computer to connect it

2; my bathroom is just sooo soo sooo embarresing that i wont even let my family look in it so fuck would i post it on the internet !!!

oh and ive removed a few bits of wall ect to make more room and it looks alot worse that it is,,,,, well thats what ive told the missus anyway
Old 03-08-2009, 07:14 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

take a pic on your phone and send it to your email addy then post it up. without seeing its hard to help.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Chip
Spare one for a washing machine to use?

its not that type of pipe,,,,,, it looks like a sink version of a external wastegate plumbing as in it leaves the main pipework only to join back up again ( though theres no turbo and wastgate between as its a bathroom sink)
Old 03-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

take a pic on your phone and send it to your email addy then post it up. without seeing its hard to help.
im struggling with basic pipework here, you expect me to know how to send a email from my mobile,,,,,, thats assuming it even does that
Old 03-08-2009, 07:18 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

send it as a picture message to your email address.done the same way as sending a photo to another phone.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:19 PM
tsutton

Originally Posted by Ginge !
2; my bathroom is just sooo soo sooo embarresing that i wont even let my family look in it so fuck would i post it on the internet !!!
So?? Mine might be worse... previous owner had it as pink & orange!!! And we put up with it for 3 years while we saved up. And it's going now... bathroom is being ripped apart as of this morning and hope to finish it this week.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

send it as a picture message to your email address.done the same way as sending a photo to another phone.
cant the file size is too big its telling me

trying to text it to myself as it resizes it then ill try again

btw my bathroom aint been worked on since we moved in 6 or 7 years ago i think we been here,,,,, that time all we done was paint it white as it was just fucking manky as squatters used to live here back before us

ps: how heavy is a bathtub on average ?

its a steel one btw not ceramic like i was hoping
Old 03-08-2009, 07:44 PM
tsutton

Originally Posted by Ginge !
ps: how heavy is a bathtub on average ?

its a steel one btw not ceramic like i was hoping
Our bath is made out of iron and according to my fitter - "bloody heavy!!"

He is going to smash it up tomorrow from the bathroom and bring the stuff down afterward. Should be interesting!!
Old 03-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

i done that before at my parents house on there old bath,,, the guys working found it heavy and was trying to break it up with a club hammer,,,,,,, i brought out the sledehammer from the cupboard and showed them how its done,,,,,, and broke 4 floor tiles too when i missed
Old 03-08-2009, 10:13 PM
P_is_for_Paul
Coldo loves seamen

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tsutton
Our bath is made out of iron and according to my fitter - "bloody heavy!!"

He is going to smash it up tomorrow from the bathroom and bring the stuff down afterward. Should be interesting!!
Cast iron is MEGA heavy. He'll only smash it in a straight line down the middle and carry it out in 2 bits. Fuckin hard to smash it!

Try and lift it before he comes and you'll feel the weight! Lol whys he only takin it out 2moro? All removal should bedone the first day! Unless he's himself right enough.

The bathroom I started today has had all the tiles off, old bath and shower out, new pipes all plumbed up and new ceiling strapped and fitted!
Old 03-08-2009, 10:23 PM
tsutton

Originally Posted by P_is_for_Paul
whys he only takin it out 2moro? All removal should bedone the first day! Unless he's himself right enough.
Yeah, he was working alone today, but he will have someone in tomorrow which should speed up the job.

The bathroom I started today has had all the tiles off, old bath and shower out, new pipes all plumbed up and new ceiling strapped and fitted!
Nice job. He only did half of the tiles - biggest issue was that it's stuck on plasterboards and not wall, so he was being extra careful not to damage the plasterboards. Once it's all off, he's going to plaster it before putting up new tiles.

Hopefully with the extra guy tomorrow, everything should be done much quicker.