General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

285 cams in a zetec

Search this Thread

Old 26-07-2009, 06:25 PM
remus
Do Want

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 285 cams in a zetec

I've got a few questions on the silvertop/blacktop:

1)I've been told the cams/vernier pulley from a 2.0 and 1.8 interchangeable is this true?
2)Do I need to upgrade anything else in order for the engine to run correctly in a 1.8 silvertop, since i've seen recommendations that 285 cams need a remap/aftermarket ecu, bigger injectors and even a change in compression ratio?
3)This will be a trial fit until I can find the time to source and fit an ST170 engine, it's been recommended to me that I remove the variable valve timing in the head, how do I do this incorporating the 285 kit?

Last edited by remus; 26-07-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 27-07-2009, 12:47 PM
remus
Do Want

no-one running 285 cams or similar?
Old 28-07-2009, 10:30 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy way to tell if the cam pulleys are the same is look up ford part no, it won't run at it's optimum with these cams, but ecu will compensate to a degree, cr is irrelavant but may well work better with higher cr, lower won't make it not work just limit power.
If you fit a ST170 engine and remove the variable cam timing you need your(not cars) head tested as this gives the best of both worlds and picks up serious mpg improvements on light throttle.
It would of course need the ST ecu or a switch to operate as the ford system is a simple on or off affair.
tabetha
Old 28-07-2009, 01:09 PM
remus
Do Want

Originally Posted by tabetha
Easy way to tell if the cam pulleys are the same is look up ford part no, it won't run at it's optimum with these cams, but ecu will compensate to a degree, cr is irrelavant but may well work better with higher cr, lower won't make it not work just limit power.
If you fit a ST170 engine and remove the variable cam timing you need your(not cars) head tested as this gives the best of both worlds and picks up serious mpg improvements on light throttle.
It would of course need the ST ecu or a switch to operate as the ford system is a simple on or off affair.
tabetha
So would the VVT work with the 285 cams, I was told that I couldn't use the ST170 ecu because it has several security lockouts and needs the ignition barrel...etc?
Old 28-07-2009, 02:01 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ecu may well be coded, but can still be used/wired in, you may have to tape the ST key close to your mondy ignition barrel, after wiring in the st ecu, but nothings impossible, the ecu does not know what car it is in.
tabetha