General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Superb service !

Search this Thread

Old 22-07-2009, 09:21 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 105 Likes on 97 Posts
Cool Superb service !

I just thought I would post an experiance I have had with a company I had never used until Jan this year, and the over all service I have recieved from then, most of the time you only hear the bad things,

The company General Engine Management Systems Ltd, AKA GEMS.

I had a spec for my new cars electronics in mind and what i needed the ecu to do for me, the research i did on all differant types of ecu and came up at GEMS for basically cost versus spec.
Gems are very well known in the rally world for ecu's & diff controllers etc.

I unbelievable stumbled across a used unit of the type i wanted, promptly bought it, and sent it to GEMS for testing and firmware upgrade, and to enable to options I wanted to use.

no big deal maybe, the telephone supprt was excellant, the information of how my unit was doing was given to me via email regularly on a trace of a job number, even all my phone calls asking about how the ecu worked was answered with no attitude, just great service and very informative.

As my car is still developing (read being built ! ) some of the things i wanted or the way the ecu carried out these functions, i thought could be improved, or would be handy to have, for instance, the water injection and intercooler sprays didnt look for all the parameters i would have liked before activating,
I spoke to the MD of the company, who told me, give me a couple of weeks or so, and call him, I did, he sent me over some new firmware, full instructions and modified pinouts.

Some people may not know but these types of ecu, you allocate pins within the software to do a particular application, rather than being fixed at for example ' pin 1 = crank position' you tell the ecu which pin you wish to use for crank position.

this is not available for all pins but the majority, some are fixed, what the update did was to free off some of the assigned pins so i can use my extra functions

again tonight at 8.30pm, i receieved another firmware update, with instructions and pinouts for a launch control and boost limiter system I wanted to make use of, at 8.30PM !!!!!

I have to take my hat of to GEMS for their customer service, and overall helpfulness of the company in helping with the needs of my project.

I hope other will consider them when looking at aftermarket engine management, the prices for their ecu's and their support are pretty unbelieveable really for what you get, and uk support with no worries at all !

Last edited by markk; 22-07-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 22-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Icurus
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is good service indeed
Old 22-07-2009, 09:42 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

excellent

people are quick to moan when things dont go right, so this sort of thread makes a nice change

Matt
Old 22-07-2009, 09:45 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

excellent service.
Old 22-07-2009, 10:15 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brilliant Mark. Looks like you have found the ECU for you then
Old 22-07-2009, 11:20 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

gems is steve simpson, he is or was a buisness partner of stuart newby aka teg sport or town end garage up in carnforth. they do subarus,simpson mapped cars to the stars and you can't even find his name on the website now,rest assured though your money goes to a good cause as steve likes rallying ex works wrc cars
Old 22-07-2009, 11:29 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by cozzfather
gems is steve simpson, he is or was a buisness partner of stuart newby aka teg sport or town end garage up in carnforth. they do subarus,simpson mapped cars to the stars and you can't even find his name on the website now,rest assured though your money goes to a good cause as steve likes rallying ex works wrc cars

steve is a GEMS dealer, not as in GEMS the company.
Old 22-07-2009, 11:44 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve Simpson mapped our college Subaru back in march/april. Shame the engine threw a rod big style less then 100 miles later at weeton
Old 23-07-2009, 12:00 AM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by markk
steve is a GEMS dealer, not as in GEMS the company.

not what he told me when i was up there.

look on the website

dealers

http://www.gems.co.uk/?content=pages&id=england

no mention of steve simpson there

i did used to see steve simpsons gems ads but not anymore,dunno why
Old 23-07-2009, 08:43 AM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by cozzfather
not what he told me when i was up there.

look on the website

dealers

http://www.gems.co.uk/?content=pages&id=england

no mention of steve simpson there

i did used to see steve simpsons gems ads but not anymore,dunno why
I notice that he and alot of other dealers are not on the new list, maybe they havehad a clear out !!