General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Internet providor , whos good

Search this Thread

Old 14-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Phil
Jeebus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first thing you need to do is put your land line number in on Sam Knows and see which LLU providers are enabled on your exchange:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/se...xchange-search

On the right you will see a box that says LLU operator presence, list any there with a tick next to them and we can then make a more informed recommendation.

For the people above saying BT - I would only recommend them as a last resort. I was with them last year on their top package and whilst the service was fairly reliable they restricted a lot of content (such as BBC iPlayer) during the evenings and I found things like Youtube very slow during peak times (I suspect they restricted this too).

I switched to O2 broadband on the same line, paid less than a 5th of the price of BT, general downloads were immediately over twice as fast (8mbit compared to 4mbit on BT) and no content is restricted in the evenings either.
Old 14-07-2009, 11:32 AM
leigh-k18
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Csm
Im with BT, changed from AOL and OMG BT have been a total nightmare no end, since i have been with BT i have moved house twice..........Both times they have fucked up and left me with no internet for over a month and they had 2 months notice of house move, they also fucked up my direct debit system so the phone line was being paid but the broadband wasnt !! Cut me off, every time you phone customer services you get some total useless twat that cant speak English, they fix teh direct debit system they said......... i was then somehow paying double the rentals

There is loads more but id be here all night ..........STAY FUCKING CLEAR

My contract runs out in November and im fuckin outa there
same mate with bt at the moment told my contract was over and i said ok ill think bout if want to stay with you or change they said thats fine get back to us on monday or else your new contract will start rang them up said my new contract started already and now want 160 quid to leave them after 5 hours on the fone various mangers and what ever nuthink has been sorted and its getting passed over to head office for them to sort it as we aint even recived any paper work or anythink about this new contract and they also fuck ower bills up were paying them £33 a month then a extra £68.80 every third month

stay away from BT !!!!!!
Old 14-07-2009, 12:13 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
Sky is a good option as its the only one that doesnt need any BT hardware as far as im aware.

All the others, run on BT lines, so if you have a problem they have to pay BT to fix it, which obviously they dont want to do so just try and fob you off with excuses until you cancel your contract as its cheaper for them to lose you as a customer than pay BT to fix your line.
sky use bt lines as well mate, i think you are confusing them with virgin
Old 14-07-2009, 01:59 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I would rather replace my eyes with burning coals than give a single penny to BT. Months and months of aggro, moronic call centres, incorrect billing, taking over 3 months to swap internet when I moved etc etc etc... Then about a month after we'd cancelled all dealings with them they called up to inform us that our broadband was now on!!

Been with TalkTalk for the last couple of years, and so far they're been really good.
Old 14-07-2009, 03:33 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil
The first thing you need to do is put your land line number in on Sam Knows and see which LLU providers are enabled on your exchange:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/se...xchange-search

On the right you will see a box that says LLU operator presence, list any there with a tick next to them and we can then make a more informed recommendation.

For the people above saying BT - I would only recommend them as a last resort. I was with them last year on their top package and whilst the service was fairly reliable they restricted a lot of content (such as BBC iPlayer) during the evenings and I found things like Youtube very slow during peak times (I suspect they restricted this too).

I switched to O2 broadband on the same line, paid less than a 5th of the price of BT, general downloads were immediately over twice as fast (8mbit compared to 4mbit on BT) and no content is restricted in the evenings either.
good info on http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php?page=availability-exchange-search
Old 14-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

My votes for Sky too £10 month line rental instead of Bt £11.25, and Broadbands £5 instead of £10 if u get the line as well. Saying that im moving to 02 i think now im on contract.
Old 14-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

just rang 02 they say they have no equipment at my xchange so it would be £17.38 a month using bts equipment, rob dogs.