General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

TESCO's didnt sell me doggy food??

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 02:40 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TESCO's didnt sell me doggy food??

anyone had the same issue when buying more than 6 of the same product?

went to the checkout with 12 cans of poochy food and the lady told me i could only buy 6 of any one product and no more, when i asked why she said "to save it for everyone else"

doesn't make business sense at anytime of the year but in a recession i think thats sucide!

anyway, i'll have to take me 200sx running 300bhp back to tescos in 3 days time to get me 6 more cans which i could have got at once and done my bit to save the planet
Old 09-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you ask to speak to a manager? im amazed at that, 12 cans is hardly excessive, if you have a couple of great danes thats going to be gone as a snack in the car on the journey home from the supermarket
Old 09-07-2009, 02:43 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by cheeky dog
back to tescos in 3 days time to get me 6 more cans
Kind of fucked your argument there.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

I buy cat food in bulk sometimes from tesco and I have never been stopped from buying more then 6 of the same product...
Old 09-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

standard policy, was it on special?

ive been pulled up on it a few times, but normally get away with buying more than 6 of the same thing
Old 09-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Kevin Sharp
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe they thought you owned an old folks home and were stocking up on food for the residents
Old 09-07-2009, 02:50 PM
T3ORA
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Kevin Sharp
maybe they thought you owned an old folks home and were stocking up on food for the residents
Old 09-07-2009, 02:51 PM
kitchy
RS2000 4x4

i went tesco's about 2am today, and just when i was looking for a card and present for my dad a very drunk man came riding around the store on a push bike it was great, the staff didnt know what to do, and then they refused to serve the mans friends anymore beer
Old 09-07-2009, 02:51 PM
grotty
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

They only do that when its on offer down here ?
Old 09-07-2009, 02:52 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Id have told them to fcking keep it, and left with the 12cans on the counter and the que of customers behind.

Ridiculous, its a shop, you should be allowed to buy whatever the hell you like, and any amount
Old 09-07-2009, 02:53 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kitchy
i went tesco's about 2am today, and just when i was looking for a card and present for my dad a very drunk man came riding around the store on a push bike it was great, the staff didnt know what to do, and then they refused to serve the mans friends anymore beer

What? someone was riding a push bike around Tescos? id have payed to see that

Did he crash anywhere?
Old 09-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Phil
Jeebus

You'd be buggered buying a crate of beer if they all took that attitude
Old 09-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Matt Evans
Black Country RSOC

LOL @ Kev.

Either the old folks home or for a kebab house!
Old 09-07-2009, 03:05 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

the food was not on offer either, it did cross my mind to leave it all at the counter and walk out but i had to think of me 2 rotties at home that were getting peckish!
Old 09-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by kitchy

Old 09-07-2009, 03:08 PM
FestaRST
Part of the Furniture

was it the blue and white stripe shite (if they even do that anymore)

when i worked there whilst doing my GCSE's it was only on offers and blue and white stripe products there was a limited on.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:09 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Chip
Did you ask to speak to a manager? im amazed at that, 12 cans is hardly excessive, if you have a couple of great danes thats going to be gone as a snack in the car on the journey home from the supermarket
i should have asked to see the manager but i assumed we'll end up with the same result of only having 6 cans so i just left it.

got 2 rottweilers and i also explained this to the lady at the checkout but she wern't having
Old 09-07-2009, 03:10 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Festa rst it was purina winalot
Old 09-07-2009, 03:14 PM
JLStretton
Choose Life.

Originally Posted by cheeky dog
the food was not on offer either, it did cross my mind to leave it all at the counter and walk out but i had to think of me 2 rotties at home that were getting peckish!
That's what I would of done , and gone somewhere else
Old 09-07-2009, 03:20 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by JLStretton
That's what I would of done , and gone somewhere else
trust me dude im known for walking out of shops leaving the stuff on the counter but it was late, it was the the closest 24hr tescos and the other 24hr never has dog food, plus me dogs hadnt eaten their diner.... was a long hard think before i said "fuck it, gimme 6"
Old 09-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Maybe you were "cheeky" with her.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:46 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what a load of shit. next time take 24 cans of dog food to the counter. If they say you can only have 6 say thats ok and seperate into 4 lots of 6 and then ask for 4 seperate transactions
Old 09-07-2009, 03:47 PM
dunketh
Chief Iron Oxide Farmer.

I pick up whole unopened trays of dog food at my local shop.
If I'd known how much the fucker'd eat I'd have got a Jack Russel or some other shitty little rat dog instead.
I'd have bought the 6 cans - dumped em in the car - then gone back round for another 6. (repeat til boot full or caught)
Old 09-07-2009, 04:08 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

cossierich, dunketh

i will deffo do this next time around, or take a mate with me to fill up his trolley too, only to realise at the check out he's left his wallet at home and as the nice friend i am i'll offer to pay with my card

was a bit late and i was kinda baffled so the brain didn't engage but now i know for next time.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:16 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Hi this is not Mike but his wife,

I work for Tesco head office and can give you the answer its Very Simple!!!

We have to have a limited number of units for customers unless we would run our shelves to low and therefore not fullfill our customers needs and demands and as a well ran business this is the way we work. Your best bet is always to put in a customer order for a date of your choice and then you can have as many as you like ready for you to collect.

It is not crazy, strange in any sense as a business women i am not giving my customers a choice if my shelves are empty period and this is the way all retailers work.

If you had gone to customers services they could have set a customer order up for you.

I hope this helps, we dont do business to annoy customers just ensure its fair for all customers.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by MikeR
and can give you the answer its Very Simple!!!

We have to have a limited number of units for customers unless we would run our shelves to low and therefore not fullfill our customers needs and demands and as a well ran business this is the way we work.

But you never, as now your customer is on here complaining he never got enough. Needs and demands? He needed 12 and demanded them. He got 6.

Benni.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:27 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yes that is true but we cannot hand over more than 6 of the same product at any one time that is why they should place a customer order to receive 12 on a more frequent bases or at least ensure they stock correctly.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:42 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Benni stop trying to be a clever fucker, surely somebody with the amount of time you appear to have can see that as a buisness if you give a large part of your stock to one customer the other 10 that come in after will leave un happy, do you appease one and keep 10 others happy and piss 10 of, simple really l would think, however as Liz is saying l gather that if you tell the customer services that you require more it should not be much of a problem and it allows the store to order more for the increased demand.

Mike
Old 09-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I was messing about... Of course I understand. I'd be highly annoyed if I went to get some food for my dog and there was none there, then someone went past with the lot in his trolley. As it happens I have ASDA in Stoke order me lots of oat cakes for my two montly journey, as nowhere here sells them.

Benni.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:48 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If people dont communicate there displeasure with something things can never get better, if you are not happy with the service tell them, the onus is then on the to listen and improve

Mike
Old 09-07-2009, 07:01 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Never stopped me when I used to buy 100 litres of cooking oil in one go, wonder what I was using that for in a Diesel mondeo , used to get some strange looks mind!
Old 09-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Hi this is not Mike but his wife,

I work for Tesco head office a
The one in Cheshunt, Herts?
Old 09-07-2009, 07:15 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

but your theory, mrs miker, goes out the window when i spotted 24 packs of lucozade on offer of buy one get one free and promplty filled up a shopping trolley with 8 of them

got to the till and was told i oculd only buy 3

so i asked how come? if i bought 1, i owuld get 1 free, but i wasn't allowed to have more than 3 in my trolley?

this got them confused and so the till cheif fella came and explained that the tills would only accept 3 in any one transaction

bit sill i said, seeing as you've got them on offer as buy one get one free, and yet if you put 3 in you only get 1 free, where's the sense in that?

then he got all "i'm important in this branch" with me so i had to tell him that there were no maximum quantities allowed on display so he was buggered if he was going to use the "only 3 per transaction" rule with me

eventually i was "creating a scene" and the manager came along to find out what was going on

she said the same thing as you have, you canonly buy a certain amount to make it fair on everyone else and i countered with the how is 3 buying 1 and getting one free back at her

at this juncture, my brother, who some may know is even more pedantic than chip when it comes to making sure he's always getting the last word in, started quoting stuff

eventually they relented and said that if i bought 2, i could have 2 for free without them being both run throuh the till

having set the precident, my brother then wanted to have the same deal so we got out 8 cases of lucozade

anyway, i'm sure that's not the point i wanted to make but i have been known to ramble a bit but who else is going to come into the store in the middle of the nigh to buy 12 cans of dog food when you may have had loads and loads of dog food left on the shelves?
Old 09-07-2009, 07:24 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Its all about being fair you can sometimes get away with having a few extra in your trolley and may get through the system, but the norm is 6 products if you took 3 and had 3 free then that is your 6 allocation. Stores are a very busy place and our colleagues are busy people and cannot ensure 100% of the time that you are adhearing to your 6 but this is normal in retail for any reatailer and i have worked for a few retailers in there head office and this is the norm.

I dont want to be attacked for every issue in our business i just felt i should respond to the dog food commets which i felt deserved my comments.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:37 PM
natehall
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ok, I understand where your coming from MikeR's wife, trying to ensure there is always stock on the shelves, however have you not considered doing what your competitors do? IE Have sufficent backstock to cover highs and lows, and analyse the data to say that x day sells roughly x amount so we will have x+y to ensure we cover this?

This is simply a case of basic retail business sense, ensuring you always have the correct amount of stock to ensure no-one is sent away even slightly miffed.

whilst I understand you are using it as a stock control exercise, surely with all of the data you get on a daily basis you can have a system built that is reasonably accurate (say 99% of the time) to ensure you should never run out of stock unless someone comes in and purchases all the stock you have of one product on one specific day, and even then you are only out of stock for 24 hours at most.

If a supermarket asked me to fill in a 'customer order' form for anything other than the most obscure of items or local delicasies(which lets face it, dog food is not) then I can guarantee id take my custom to one of the competitors who would happily sell me what I wanted in the desired quantities.

From working in a small supermarket chain in the past, I know the ordering system was fairly accurate and the stock arrived a day ahead of running out in 99% of cases, and in a 12 week period at one store, there is only one customer who asked me for a product we did not have in stock in the backstock.

knowing what i know of the local tesco staff, there are some good ones, unfortunately a lot of the shopfloor staff in our local 24 hours tesco are a tad braindead, and couldnt tell you one end of a broom from the other unless you shoved it up there arse sideways let alone run a large and successfull supermarket - so im guessing schemes like this are to prevent the backstock where your staff can not work out why a customer is asking for it as its not on the shelf?
Old 09-07-2009, 07:48 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Trust me i have worked for many retailers and your idea of other retailers is as far from the mark as China, we all work to stocking levels but there is such a thing as waste and also issues which you the customers wont get and to be honest it would take me a whole tread to explain. The simple answer is tesco is the market leader and has not got there by not having an efficient supply network thus said we as a business as every other major retailer has that we have to limit customers to a set number of purchases per shop otherwise we miss a potential vast amount of customers who may of wanted to the same product.

It is never down to the fact that our colleagues dislike you or just want to make your life hard there is decisions made for a reason and customers have to understand this, you could not expect to walk into a sweet shop and take all there sweets its not professional or business like and if you have ever run a business you would know that its not 1 customer its about keeping all customers happy trust me its not an easy job, but please apprecaite its not always about you.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:52 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Its all about being fair you can sometimes get away with having a few extra in your trolley and may get through the system, but the norm is 6 products if you took 3 and had 3 free then that is your 6 allocation. Stores are a very busy place and our colleagues are busy people and cannot ensure 100% of the time that you are adhearing to your 6 but this is normal in retail for any reatailer and i have worked for a few retailers in there head office and this is the norm.

I dont want to be attacked for every issue in our business i just felt i should respond to the dog food commets which i felt deserved my comments.
i wasn't attacking you mrs mikeR

but sometimes you have a customer who sees an offer and then decide to take advantage of it

every time i go to the supermarket i see all the items on offer sold out, so someone must be buying them, or those stores must have crap managers
Old 09-07-2009, 07:57 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I dont want to give you all the answers but its not always down to stores as to what stocking levels they get please bear that in mind and be open minded that we as a business are never out to get you. I am a customer too and before i worked for HQ retail i did not trully get it but know i do its opned me up to the fact that Tesco are a great buisness to work for and i have the best job in the world.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Chris Honeywell
Advanced PassionFord User

So if i buy 12 tins of cat food (i have 4 cats so 2 tins a day) i could be refused??

Tesco in Trowbridge have never refused to sell me 12 tins

Well not in the last 10 years anyway
Old 09-07-2009, 08:07 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

As mentioned i dont have the answer for all pet issues other that that if the fact if you get away with it for know congrats, well done but dont be surprised if you ever get stopped at least i have given you the norm. Take from it what you will and trust me i wont highlight myself on this website again i dont know all the business answers but tried to give you a subjective view from our end.

Quick Reply: TESCO's didnt sell me doggy food??