General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Would you risk damaging a wheel to let an ambulance through?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:09 PM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Would you risk damaging a wheel to let an ambulance through?

Bit of a read but bare with me.

For once a serious discusion happened down the pub Saturday.

One of the lads has just bought a Focus ST and said that an ambulance was trying to get through but couldn't as he didn't want to get up on the 6 inch curb incase he scuffed a wheel. I asked was the ambulance desperate to get past ie: someone in the back needing serious attention? He said the driver was shouting angrily and waving his hand as if to say out of the way. So I'm guessing it was something more than someone with a bad headache in the back.

This promted to arguement whether you would risk damaging a wheel to let a desperate ambulance through and to my suprise out of 8 lads, only myself and one other lad said they would.

So at work I asked my boss who is a well respected figure in the city (he paints out grafitti in his spare time and is generally a very nice chap) if he would risk it in his brand new 997 911 Porsche and he paused and said he wasn't sure but probably not. It's hard to say. Which suprised me.

So would you?
Old 07-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't and haven't, just keep going 'til you can stop safely. Or if it's traffic lights pull through to let 'em go and back up.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:11 PM
jammerrs
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yep,

surely a refurb of one wheel isnt worth a life?
Old 07-07-2009, 09:12 PM
jammerrs
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

or as mal says and move somewhere safe if you can
Old 07-07-2009, 09:14 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no chance.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:15 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Mal.
I wouldn't and haven't, just keep going 'til you can stop safely. Or if it's traffic lights pull through to let 'em go and back up.
what about if theres a camera on the lights? is someones life worth 3 points and Ł60?
Old 07-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i CAN safely pull up a curb, then yes i will, but if its just not fesable, then no, i wont.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Robs Frst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tough 1
someone life could be at risk. Its not like your wheel can be repaired by them.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by fuzzy
what about if theres a camera on the lights? is someones life worth 3 points and Ł60?

Then I'd appeal, cos the camera would also pick up the ambulace at the same time.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:29 PM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

it winds me up when theres an 'emergency vehicle' behind & people just try to pull over a bit if they need to get up the road then speed up so at least your not static, pull in when you can!
Old 07-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

nope never. Its there job to get round you when its safe. They are trained to do so.

I allow them space when its available. If its an ambulance.

if its a police car they can get round when they have the space. i hate people that just anchor up and pull in a tiny bit, hes probably getting back to the station to get home on time.

God i just realised how much hate police Lol.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:32 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

I've thought about this many times before, and done it, but never had to cause damage to a wheel.
But if I had to I would;

For an Ambulance,, YES
For a Fire Engine,, YES
For a Police Car,, NO

Old 07-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Rich_bloor
rich_bloor@hotmail.com

If you cant mount a kerb safley when driving slowly without damaging your alloy, your tyres are too small for the alloy wheel.

When you buy alloys from a shop, they will put a smaller tyre on than is needed to keep the price of the alloy/tyres set down.

For example, ANYONE who is running a 8J rim with a 225 tyre is doing it wrong, it should be a 235 tyre, the fit is much better.

If the 235 tyre wont fit under your wheel arch, your running too wide alloys.
get a 7J alloy with a 225 tyre and the fit is much better, and you still have the same size tyre on ya car.

In conclusion, if your alloys and tyres fit correctley, theres no problem mounting the kerb, so let the ambulance through!
Old 07-07-2009, 09:36 PM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

hating the Police

what about if someone was attacking your wife/children & the police were on the way there? would it be ok if the Police couldn't get there because there was some twat wouldn't let them past
Old 07-07-2009, 09:43 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzy
Then I'd appeal, cos the camera would also pick up the ambulace at the same time.
unless you can proove that the emergency vehicle was on a call and can give the details of the vehicle and the call it was on you won't get anywhere
one of our drivers has been there done that, you can see the police car clearly n the pic when he was in the bus lane but they still done him without the proof the police wouldn't give him

and one of our guys got points for going through a red light and his reaction was "the next time the fuckers going to wait"

when asked "if they were on the shout to your house which was on fire" he said "then they should have learnt how to drive on the other side of the road"

Originally Posted by GUZZLER
it winds me up when theres an 'emergency vehicle' behind & people just try to pull over a bit if they need to get up the road then speed up so at least your not static, pull in when you can!
the ammount of peole who just stop amazes me

if they've stopped and i can't i just carry on until i can find a gap to let them through
Old 07-07-2009, 09:46 PM
gibbo frst
Advanced PassionFord User

i drive a fire engine around central london and ive seen a woman smash her car up a high kerb and hit an old ladys trolly to get out of the way then others just lock up right in the path of the truck..
nothing worse than busses though especially the bendy ones ....
i personally wouldnt go up a kerb to move out the way..
Old 07-07-2009, 09:49 PM
MissGemBab!
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by gibbo frst
i drive a fire engine around central london and ive seen a woman smash her car up a high kerb and hit an old ladys trolly to get out of the way then others just lock up right in the path of the truck..
nothing worse than busses though especially the bendy ones ....
i personally wouldnt go up a kerb to move out the way..
ur mental to drive one of em round there
Old 07-07-2009, 09:50 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

hating the Police

what about if someone was attacking your wife/children & the police were on the way there? would it be ok if the Police couldn't get there because there was some twat wouldn't let them past
The probability of the Police going to a Life threatening incident is far less than an Ambulance or Fire engine.

You could argue that the guy behind in a normal car flashing his headlights might be rushing to see his dying Granny.
Are you going to let anyone flashing their lights at you go past?

Old 07-07-2009, 09:55 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Its an offence to mount the pavement unless you are accessing property, so if there's a chance of being done for it, then no, due to this nanny state we live in then I wouldn't.

The emergency services are trained to not put the public into a position where they have to break the law to let them through.

Yes I would move over a bit/slow down to let them past where I can, but I would not speed up/go through a red light/mount the pavement in a public area to let them through.

Last edited by RichieST; 07-07-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Moonstone Mart
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

What if you were stuck in non moving traffic on a dual carriage way so no way of them overtaking you (accident up ahead with people who need attention) and the ambulance/fire engine/police car was behind you? Are you all still going to just sit there until the half mile of traffic moves? Just to save the cost of a wheel refurb?

Id move out of the way everytime.

mart
Old 07-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

"You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or Highways Agency Traffic Officer and Incident Support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you."
Old 07-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

My best mate is a paramedic, he pulled up at someone behind a set of lights recently and they wouldnt move to let him through, so he just drove into them and pushed them out of the way.

They wrote a letter of complaint insisting he was sacked etc, but then changed their mind about pushing the complaint through when they found out the child in the ambulance died as a result of not getting attention soon enough.

Its one of those times when delays can and do cost lives, so yes I always try exceptionally hard to get out the way of ambulances.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:11 PM
M4RKG

if you put the tyre (not the wheel) against the curb fisrt then bit of revs bobs your uncle your on the curb!! no damage :O

plus i always move for an ambulance or fire brigade there life savers! what are the police?? not in my town the only time they're in a hurry is when its teatime or shift change over!! If theres a riot or whatever here they're usually headin in the other direction :L
Old 07-07-2009, 10:14 PM
haighlsby
PassionFord Regular

I just pull over to the left & go a bit slower until they have gone past me. & if an ambulance driver can't make it past me then I'm sorry but they are a shit driver.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

hating the Police

All they would want to do when they did get there is fill out some pointless forms or prosecute your wife for bleeding on the burglar or something, they sure as hell wouldnt put themselves in any danger to save her, its shocking what a hands off approach they have these days.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:31 PM
kempy99
Virgin

i wouldnt drive up a curb unless i had hubcaps on and i defo wouldnt move for a policeman but anything eles id pull over in a safe place
Old 07-07-2009, 10:31 PM
RSTurboSI
BANNED
BANNED

in Nottingham there is the fast response Unit in a built up area, they use it all the time in and out, driving at stupid speeds down a narrow road, just missing traffic,

so one point i was stuck in the traffic on this road they use, i heard the blues n twos and looked behind me, T5, bombing it down the road, then smoke. Everyone started to try move out the way, i have a white van infront of me and a brand new M3. It was a stand still slow moving traffic, i was pritty much stuck. car behind was too close, van infront was to close. To get out the way without having to mess around, because of this the police come flying up the road, most moved if they could. It was an island upfront and traffic blocking both sides of the road. Why he didnt go the other way to get to the same place in rush hour traffic which is two lanes, amazed me, hes sat behind me, i have my window down, the BMW hasnt moved, the van lucky enuff move a little, still no room to get the van out the way and the other road users on the other side, so he sat there, beeping and the passnager shouting GET THE FUCK OUT THE WAY! NOW!!! i looked over and noticed him getting angry. I couldnt move, so the hole of the other side of the road had to back up. the police hit this van on the way out, scraping all the paint off the side, and drove off.. what a tosser, and the other way was two lanes, more of a chance to get past.. not a standsill single road.

Last edited by RSTurboSI; 07-07-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been in the way of the Police before and done well over the speed limit to get out of their way somewhere safe It's illegal but it's better to do do that than hold them up and risk someones life.

I'd rather risk a speeding fine than someone else's life to be honest, I know that people act badly towards the blue lights from the emergency services and stop by traffic islands etc, I keep going until I can get out of their way in a safe place without holding them up. It's proably wrong legally but I will not hold up one of the services for the sake of a ticket.

Last edited by Paulo P; 08-07-2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:00 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I'll do my best but if I find out I've just damaged my wheel because some crack fiend injected DAZ into himself out of bare desperation, and as a result my wheel is damaged, I'd be well fucking annoyed.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:15 AM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
My best mate is a paramedic, he pulled up at someone behind a set of lights recently and they wouldnt move to let him through, so he just drove into them and pushed them out of the way.

They wrote a letter of complaint insisting he was sacked etc, but then changed their mind about pushing the complaint through when they found out the child in the ambulance died as a result of not getting attention soon enough.

Its one of those times when delays can and do cost lives, so yes I always try exceptionally hard to get out the way of ambulances.
From the way put their Chip i agree. The sirens give you plenty of time to sort your act out.

They are doing their job. And that job is to save lives.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:43 AM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

i always do my best to get out of the way or pull over but theres no way im kerbing a wheel or damaging my splitter.once they are past its me that has to pay for it,if its a low kerb i would mount it safely.i see it a lot,people dont know what to do when they see blue lights,some just stop where they are,if i cant stop i drive till i can and i can safely say i have never had to mount a pavement yet to get out of the way.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:33 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

if i see blue lights in the rear view, i do my best to fuck off out of there.
Old habits
Old 08-07-2009, 07:06 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

I would just try and find a better place to stop.But if i had to go up a kerb i would put the front wheels on full lock and try and get up them that way.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:55 AM
twinkle_2k86
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I always pull in when its safe, Normally i have warning which gives me time to find that stop to pull in. But if it came to it and i had no where to go, up the kerb i would go. At the end of the day i think of it like this, You pull out the way, the person if front doesn`t want to damage there wheels so hold up the ambulance. It finaly gets by and your on your way. You get home to find that same ambulance outside your house treating your wife/kids etc, but didn`t make it in time. How would you feel knowing that the car infront of you held them up.

I think the rules in Germany are fantastic for emergancy services. They have right of way down the middle (only with blues and toos), if your in the way, tough titties, your pushed out the way. Everyone knows which way they have to go to get out of the way, unlike over here, where people panic and think where can i go, and give the driver a nightmare as they dont know which way the people are going to move.

But for me, i dont move out of the way as fast for police, as there not saving lives.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:39 AM
bigal1978
PassionFord Post Troll

i all ways move
simple
Old 08-07-2009, 08:39 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Nope I wouldnt mount a 6 inch kerb for an ambulance, you are not supposed to break the law for emergency vehicles.

Also if you have a habit of driving low profile tyres up kerbs then one day you'll be in the ambulance when you have a blowout on the motorway.

It's just one of those things, 99% of the time you can get clear of it but that 1% is just unfortunate

Every emergency vehicle driver i've ever spoken to has told me they hate it when folks just pull in and stop suddenly when they hear them coming as it causes other drivers to panic, they just want you to make as much room as possible and carry on.

There are no exemptions for breaking any road traffic laws because you have an emergency vehicle behind you.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:40 AM
gibbo frst
Advanced PassionFord User

it really is amazing how many people dont hear the sirens untill you are right up behind them.. though holding the horn down aswell clears the idiots far quicker..
then the bikes flying along behind the truck on a shout and nearly smashing into the back when we stop....
crazy
Old 08-07-2009, 08:58 AM
natehall
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I take whatever reasonable steps i can to let them past!
Old 08-07-2009, 09:02 AM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I forgot to say this was on a duel carridgeway in a que of traffic, so no where to go other than make as much room as he could. But he was the only one holding them up as he didn't want to get too close to the kerb. I'm guessing he didn't realise just how much room he had to move over.

Interesting replys though.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:05 AM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

I'd never drive up a high curb for any reason because it causes hidden damage to the tire.

If I have a blowout at 120 mph I probably need an ambulance myself...

Quick Reply: Would you risk damaging a wheel to let an ambulance through?