General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

iphone question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:40 PM
5t1g
Shotgun Bunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must be an iTunes problem. Have you uninstalled iTunes and downloaded a fresh copy?
Old 01-07-2009, 09:41 PM
scryby
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by 5t1g
Must be an iTunes problem. Have you uninstalled iTunes and downloaded a fresh copy?
twice!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Marts
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

have you tried checking for driver faults? Right Click My Computer, Properties, Hardware, Device Manager.... mines under image devices.... Apple iPhone. Right click that, properties, driver, update driver.

If that doesnt do any difference, do all that again, but this time uninstall the driver.

The next time you plug the iphone into the computer the PC will auto source the driver and reinstall it.

You might have to restart inbetween the uninstall and reinstall... not sure.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Marts

Try this if my first option doesnt work...
After much struggle, the solution appears to be relatively simple...

From Device Manager, Select the iPhone (under Portable Devices) and then select "Update Driver" (mine had a Microsoft Driver which enables the camera/storage, but did not allow it to connect with iTunes). Don't direct it to automatically search for a driver, instead, manually point it to search in c:/program files/common files/apple/ - It should then "do it's thing" and install the correct apple driver - voila - iPhone is then recognized.

Hope this works for anyone else who has this problem (am not 100% sure that this is the fix as I tried a myriad of things prior to hitting on this - among the most plausible was unistalling and installing WITHOUT antivirus (and with minimal other USB devices connected) running (keep in mind, when uninstalling don't forget to uninstall the "Apple Mobile Device Support")
Old 01-07-2009, 10:02 PM
scryby
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Marts
Try this if my first option doesnt work...
ok the plot thickens, i have done this and the driver is a microsoft one not apple but it wont let me change it, all it does is say that microsoft has the correct driver details, any ideas?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Marts

Try my quoted idea mate
Old 01-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Marts

Scrap that, you already have sorry!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:10 PM
scryby
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Marts
Try my quoted idea mate
thats the one i tried, i thinj the problem is that the computer thinks my ipod is a digital camera which is the description it has but it will not let me choose an alternate driver, i need to stop it thinking its a hard drive/camera
Old 01-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Marts

That's how my PC sees my iPhone tho, yet mine connects ok, so that can't be the problem. I can change/update/uninstall the driver tho!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:21 PM
scryby
Regular Contributor

how do i sort the dricer then as i think this is the cause?
is there a way of connecting iphone from a fresh and the computer not installing what it thinks os the best one and letting me install the one which will work
Old 01-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Marts

Try this
USBAAPL.sys is bundled to iTunes (either v.7.7 or lower).* When you installed, it is automatically put USBAAPL.sys driver in your computer.

If after installing iTunes, the computes does not recognize you iPhone (either iPhone 3G or previous models), you can try to check if USBAAPL.sys is present in C:\Windows\system32\drivers . If you could not find it there try download USBAAPL.SYS driver here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/137237103/usbaapl.sys

Mirrors:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TG3SYBAA
http://www.badongo.com/file/10856115
http://www.zshare.net/download/17024783b5010f9a/

If you have USBAAPL.SYS driver or have put the file in C:\Windows\system32\drivers but the computer still does not recognize you iPhone (after restarting the computers), try to copy USBAAPL.SYS into C:\windows\inf folderand try again. Hope that could solve your problem.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:40 PM
scryby
Regular Contributor

all done and yet again it tells me that the pc has decixed which driver to use and its not that one!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Marts

and you definately done this
Originally Posted by apple site
iPhone requires two important pieces of software to operate properly on Windows. First, the driver must be installed; for iPhone the driver is USBAAPL.SYS. Second, Apple Mobile Device Support must be installed as a Windows Service. If these are not installed, see the Reinstall iTunes section below.

Verify that the driver is installed by connecting iPhone to the computer and following these steps:

On the Start menu, click Run.
In the Open field, type devmgmt.msc and click OK. A list of devices will be displayed.
Scroll down to Universal Serial Bus controllers and click the small plus sign to expand this group. iPhone will be listed as either Apple iPhone or Apple Mobile Device depending on the version of the driver installed.
Right-click Apple iPhone (or Apple Mobile Device) and choose Properties from the shortcut menu.
When the Properties window opens, select the Driver tab.
Click Driver Details to view more information.
Verify that the Apple Mobile Device Service is installed and running using the Services MMC snap-in using these steps:

In the Open field, type services.msc and click OK. A list of devices will be displayed.
View the list In alphabetical order and verify that the "Apple Mobile Device Service" status is "Started."

If the status does not indicate the service is started, right-click Apple Mobile Device Service and choose Start from the shortcut menu.
If the service is installed and started, right-click the service and choose Restart from the shortcut menu.
If the driver is installed and the service is installed and started, check the Event Viewer for error messages.

In the Open field, type eventvwr.msc and click OK.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:03 PM
scryby
Regular Contributor

yes mate
Old 01-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Marts

sod knows mate... Im out of ideas now, sorry