General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

external waste gate what do they do

Search this Thread

Old 25-06-2009, 08:56 PM
trevorcossie
saffy cossie yes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default external waste gate what do they do

hi i want to get a external wastegate for my mazda mps ...its got a 38mm standard aparrently ....can you have a dump valve aswell as a waste gate and if i was to get a aftermarket one like this what would happen if i got say the 50mm one or would i need more bhp to run this regards matt

http://www.turbosmartonline.co.uk/?g...FVIB4wod-hfTCA
Old 25-06-2009, 09:00 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a external wastegate lets air bypass the turbo, its like a gate, a boost controler opens the gate to let exhaust gas by without turning the turbo, this then controls what boost the turbo is producing,

a external wastegate is not needed on a standard car (if thats what you have)

a dumpvalve is in the inlet system somewhere, between the compressor housing of the turbo and the throttle butterfly of the inlet manifold,
a dumpvalve can be used with a external wastegate as they dont effect each other at all,

hope this helps and i havnt missed your point ?

jim

ps: you dont need a big external wastegate, the smaller the better, we have had over 700hp through a 44mm one so definately no need for 50+mm !

Last edited by J1mbo; 25-06-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 25-06-2009, 09:04 PM
trevorcossie
saffy cossie yes

cheers jimbo mate so what would happen if i bought the 50mm one for instance ......and would i need a after market boost controller regards matt
Old 25-06-2009, 09:08 PM
trevorcossie
saffy cossie yes

Originally Posted by J1mbo
a external wastegate lets air bypass the turbo, its like a gate, a boost controler opens the gate to let exhaust gas by without turning the turbo, this then controls what boost the turbo is producing,

a external wastegate is not needed on a standard car (if thats what you have)

a dumpvalve is in the inlet system somewhere, between the compressor housing of the turbo and the throttle butterfly of the inlet manifold,
a dumpvalve can be used with a external wastegate as they dont effect each other at all,

hope this helps and i havnt missed your point ?

jim

ps: you dont need a big external wastegate, the smaller the better, we have had over 700hp through a 44mm one so definately no need for 50+mm !

sorry i didnt see that bit at the bottom about the size of the wastegate
Old 25-06-2009, 09:54 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes deffinately need a boost controler, (air injectors)

are you thinking of blanking your internally wastegated turbo off just to run a external wastegate ?

i dont think there is any need imho, the only time external wastegates are used is when a turbo is required where its soo big that a internal wastegate just isnt phesable and wont work !

there is alot of work to just fitting a external wastegate, the boost control needs to be done properly (usually using the ecu if on aftermarket ecu) so this needs mapping

the mapping of boost then needs to run the same boost curve as standard as if you start running higher boost in places where it wouldnt normally, the fueling can be out ect,

alot of work !

give us some info on your car and whats on it, then we no what were working with and can tell you if it can be done and if there is any point of fitting one !

fit a dumpvalve though, thats easy work, just hold out on the external wastegate