General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Has it got to the point now driving a fast car/bike on the road is pointless?

Search this Thread

Old 24-06-2009, 06:59 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Has it got to the point now driving a fast car/bike on the road is pointless?

Even driving my sheddy old run around mondeo, it is never a nice drive anymore , just always on the look out for cameras, camera vans, etc etc.... Has it got to the point owning a fast car or bike is just no longer fun in the real world?
Old 24-06-2009, 07:05 AM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think night time driving is the only savour, although that said...if you live in a large city then i dont see the point at all.

I was in Walsall yesterday and i couldnt believe how many traffic lights there were, seemed pointless doing anything other than walking!! at Least Redditch has some nice dual carriageways
Old 24-06-2009, 07:05 AM
Its Dave
Advanced PassionFord User

No, had some fun in YUM last night
Old 24-06-2009, 07:06 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I try to do most of my driving after midnight, as it is the only time scamera vans are not about so much, and you can move on the road!
Old 24-06-2009, 07:10 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
Even driving my sheddy old run around mondeo, it is never a nice drive anymore , just always on the look out for cameras, camera vans, etc etc.... Has it got to the point owning a fast car or bike is just no longer fun in the real world?
Pointless now unless you are prepared to gamble with your license. Since i started driving its gone from No max Speed limit on roads with few cars to crowded roads with cameras & restrictions everywhere .
Old 24-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
I try to do most of my driving after midnight, as it is the only time scamera vans are not about so much, and you can move on the road!

this is bang on.i have always found night time the best time to drive full stop. its so much clearer and easier to have a relaxing drive.

i hate driving in town during the day even in the 1.0 polo,its a joke with people cutting you up.no signals,stopping without warning,tailgaters.
there is a complete lack of respect nowdays.then you have the revenue building cameras and traffic cars(of which far too many are undercover) i

i must admit i do have a big list of reg plates for undercovers that i have noticed over time on the road or in the shop.they seem to do test runs past our shop very often.
Old 24-06-2009, 07:34 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Try living up here, they're fookin' everywhere!
I think in a way as you get older you realise you've got more to lose if you get caught, when I was younger I didn't really think about it all that much, I just tried not to get caught, now I usually don't bothering doing it in the first place. Admittedly also, i used to have a job where my licence wasn't a necessity, but now i need it for commuting and so on. And judging by your post your reffering to speeds in excess of the limit by a large margin, which will result in an immediate ban if caught (rather than just a point or two) under modern day rules. Sucks ass!
*Disclaimer* I am condoning speeding, I AM NOT condoning reckless/dangerous driving, THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. <Note to any twats that wish to comment on speeding.

Trending Topics

Old 24-06-2009, 12:23 PM
alistairolsen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, in a world where the police can make a dangerous driving charge stick on the basis of two fabricated testimonies heard 11 months after the original 'incident' The phrases "fair trial" and "innocent until proven guilty" no longer apply.

Sadly the time for responsible but illegal driving on our roads has passed IMO
Old 24-06-2009, 01:30 PM
notroubleclubber
Back In The RS Game!

I used to love driving but got stopped the other day and im on my way to getting 3 points and 60 quid fine. At the mo ive got a clean license but i need it for work and picking up my kids that live 40 miles away so ive slowed right down.
Ive decided to get rid of my cabriolet turbo and get myself a track car so on the look out for a cheap xr2 i can stick the turbo engine in!
Old 24-06-2009, 01:37 PM
1.9 xr2 on 40's
st170 breaking

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cars - yes, pretty much pointless having anything mad fats if its road only
bikes, no way, your riding for the fun of it, and cameras are easy to spot and vans etc get you from the front, when im on the bike and theres traffic i just go past it
, half the fun thats is, these days everyone moves over for bikes too
Old 24-06-2009, 01:44 PM
AndyR1
PassionFord Regular

only good time to drive is now on friday and saturday after 11.30 pm when all the police are in the towns dealing with the piss heads, load the the car up with scanners and snooper and jammer just to keep my licence lol
Old 24-06-2009, 02:39 PM
mcst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I hate driving on the roads now. My journey to work is only ten minutes and i can rarely break 50 in a NSL. Theres a 200m stretch of NSL and everyone does 40 along it, theres 3 areas of traffic calming, the busiest level crossing in the country where the filth are regularly camped out either side, a proper arseache journey! Even worse if i take the Mrs to work in the city centre, as someone already mentioned the standard of driving is shocking. People constantly changing lanes/cutting you up, cutting the corner on roundabouts(this really boils my piss) tailgating etc...........
On one stretch they added a new set of traffic lights/crossing when a new school was built, right next to an existing footbridge W.T.F!!!! At peak times its a right fooker.
Used to be a time i'd happily just go for a razz round the back roads and waste a tenner of fuel just for the sake of it but even in the short time of 9+years of driving things have changed a lot and its a bigger risk. For the sake of enjoy a bit of fun i could lose my licence and be screwed for transport. I'd not stop owning something quick but i can't really enjoy it as much as i should.
Old 24-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullett
this is bang on.i have always found night time the best time to drive full stop. its so much clearer and easier to have a relaxing drive.

i hate driving in town during the day even in the 1.0 polo,its a joke with people cutting you up.no signals,stopping without warning,tailgaters.
there is a complete lack of respect nowdays.then you have the revenue building cameras and traffic cars(of which far too many are undercover) i

i must admit i do have a big list of reg plates for undercovers that i have noticed over time on the road or in the shop.they seem to do test runs past our shop very often.
LOL but why on earth would you go out after midnight and drive your car about?