General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Computer people

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 01:30 PM
KregRS
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Computer people

I've been offered a pc, minus the hard drive, free of charge. What i want to know is, how much is a hard drive, know there's different sizes etc, just something to get it up and running again. And if it needs new hard drive, is that where the operating system is stored so would need that as well, or not? I'm not too clued up on computers so any help be much appreciated,
Thanks.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:34 PM
bookwyse
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A decent sized hard drive is less than £50 nowadays and yes you will need an operating system which is likely to be the most esxpensive part.

What system you need depends on the spec of the system but you may be able to find one from a mate etc.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:42 PM
KregRS

So how much is operating system, something like xp?
Old 10-06-2009, 01:42 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah if it doesnt have a hard drive you will have to buy an operating system to go on it, that will cost about £60-300 for a cd depending on which operating system you pick
Old 10-06-2009, 01:44 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by KregRS
£60 mate online, which is good because A. you cannot buy it from a high street shop anymore and B. it would cost twice that if they did sell it on the high street.

One of those things, once you've got it you've got it, just keep the disc safe and you can re-use it again(but only on one machine unfortunatly)

Last edited by BM08; 10-06-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:50 PM
_SpeedX_
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

also dependant on spec of pc the older pc's will only see up to a certain size hdd
Old 10-06-2009, 01:53 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Find out the spec of the pc, thats a good point actually.

If its old then xp is your only choice anyway, as vista wouldnt run well.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:46 PM
morph
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I've been offered a pc, minus the hard drive, free of charge. What i want to know is, how much is a hard drive, know there's different sizes etc, just something to get it up and running again. And if it needs new hard drive, is that where the operating system is stored so would need that as well, or not? I'm not too clued up on computers so any help be much appreciated,
Thanks.
get it if its free!
need to know if its ata or serial drive as that would mean different drives
also the xp build is stored on the drive normal a small partition so will need to rebuild the new drive. also you may need hardware drivers for things like graphics, sound, nic, modem devices,
You would be better off giving it to someone and let them get it running. i would normally charge around 60-100 to do that.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

FREE if you use Linux.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:58 PM
KregRS

Originally Posted by morph
get it if its free!
also the xp build is stored on the drive normal a small partition so will need to rebuild the new drive. also you may need hardware drivers for things like graphics, sound, nic, modem devices,
You would be better off giving it to someone and let them get it running. i would normally charge around 60-100 to do that.
now got it, its a Compaq Presario 5000, if that means anything to anyone.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:48 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Microsoft Windows XP minimum requirements
  • PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233-MHz minimum required; Intel Pentium / Celeron (TM) family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
  • 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
  • 1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space
  • Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor
  • CD-ROM or DVD drive
  • Keyboard and Microsoft mouse or compatible pointing device

Factors to consider prior to making an upgrade decision
  • HP is unable to guarantee how Windows XP will function on a PC not originally designed and/or tested for this new operating system. HP Pavilion and Compaq Presario PCs that shipped with Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows 98SE pre-installed, were not tested with Windows XP.
  • HP could not recommend upgrading where it could not guarantee a high level of compatibility for all basic hardware and software components of the PCs. PC device drivers (including graphics, BIOS, chipset, etc) for some PC components may simply not be available (now or in the future) as some parts manufacturers are no longer in business or have made business decisions to not provide updates for Windows XP.
  • The addition (by the PC owner) of a wide variety of third-party software and peripherals to the system may complicate a Windows XP upgrade.
  • Software pre-installed on the PC at purchase may require upgrades to the new XP-compatible version, if available, and at an additional cost. Contact the software company directly.
  • HP and Compaq's warranty and support cover only the original pre-installed operating system and software. Technical support for the retail version of Windows XP is provided by Microsoft.
NOt sure what your exact model is but here's a rough guide to the spec

Compaq Presario 5000a Desktop PC - Product Specifications

QuickSpecs Compaq Presario 5000A SBC Internet PC Bundled with Compaq MV740 Multimedia Monitor with JBL Platinum Series Speakers June 1, 2000

5000a Compaq Affinity Program Model Presario 5000A SBC

Standard Features Dimensions & Weights

(H x W x D) • Micro-ATX Form Factor

• Unit: 17" x 8.9" x 17" (25.5 lbs.)

• Package: 24" x 14.95" x 23.6" (41 lbs.) Processor Intel (r) Celeron (tm) 566 MHz upgradable to Intel (r) Pentium(r) III 800 MHz System Bus Intel(r) Celeron TM : 66 MHz Front Side Bus (FSB) System Memory • 64MB Memory, Standard

• PC100 SDRAM DIMMs

• 2 DIMM slots (256MB total memory maximum using 128MB DIMMs) Hard Drive 10.0 GB UltraDMA hard drive upgradable to 60 GB

• ATA/66 UDMA support (2 IDE connectors with 2 channels each) CD/DVD-ROM Drive • 40x CD-ROM drive

• 12x and 16x DVD-ROM drive (option)

• 8x CD-RW drive (option)

• DVD/CD-RW Combo drive (4x4x4x24 ) (option) Integrated Communications • 56K ITU V.90 Modem

• 6.0 Mb Max Digital DSL Modem Cache • 128KB integrated L1 Cache

• 128KB L2 Pipeline Burst Cache on Intel Celeron (tm)

• 256KB integrated L2 Pipeline Burst Cache on Intel Pentium III Graphics Direct AGP 3D graphics (up to 11MB shared memory) Audio Integrated ESS Allegro Compaq Multimedia • Compaq DVD Player/Navigator (option)

• Microsoft DirectShow

• Audio CD Player

• Video Player (AVI, MPEG2 & others) Power Supply Steady-state 145 watts Diskette Drive 3.5" 1.44 MB diskette drive Mouse Internet scroll mouse Expansion Slots (Four total) • One PCI slot with modem

• Three PCI slots open for expansion Drive Bays (Five total) • 3.5" external for 1.44 MB diskette drive

• 3.5" external open for expansion

• 3.5" internal for Hard Drive

• 5.25" external for CD/DVD ROM Drive

• 5.25" external open for expansion I/O Interfaces • Four USB ports (2 front, 2 back)

• Serial RS-232C compatible, DB9 connector (16550)

• Parallel EPP/ECP standard centronics-compatible interface (DB25 connector)

• Joystick/MIDI/Gamepad compatible game port

• Two RJ-11 phone jacks (1 input, 1 output)

• Audio ports (line-in, line-out and microphone-in)

• 2 PS2 ports (for mouse and keyboards)

• Monitor connection (VGA) Networking (Option) 10/100 10baseT PCI Ethernet Card Home Phoneline Networking (Option) • Diamond PCI HomeFree 10/1 Mbps Home Networking Card

• Uses standard phonelines

• Home Phoneline Network Alliance Certified (HomePNA) Internet Access Quick and easy Internet access from SBC High Speed DSL with Prodigy. Wireless (option) Seamless internet connectivity in and around the home or office.

• Wireless home networking with internet sharing, file sharing, printer sharing, head to head gaming, and file sycronization

• A one-plug solution for both the USB Device and PC Card

• No new wires required MyStyle Color Accent Kit (option) • Personalize your PC by adding an optional color kit that reflects your style.

• Amethyst
  • Emerald Green
  • Jade Green
  • Ruby Red
  • Sapphire Blue

MyStyle Color Accent Kit includes: Front color panel (2 pieces), Internet Keyboard button plate and JBL Platinum Series speaker grills (2). Compaq USB Internet Keyboard One-touch buttons take you directly to your favorite Internet activities.

Instant Internet - Your personalized start page that delivers daily news and information.

Instant e-Mail - One-touch access for sending and receiving e-mail.

My Presario - Learn how to get more out of your PC and the Internet.

Entertainment - The inside entertainment scoop featuring music downloads, video, Webcasts, news and reviews.

Activity - Discover Cam, Photo and Music activities designed exclusively for Presario users. Plus you'll find step-by-step instructions that make online fun easy.

Search - Search the Web for the latest news, information, music and much more, all with the touch of a button.

Retail Central eCommerce - Go shopping at your favorite computer store and a variety of popular retail sites at the touch of a button.

My Program - Personalize this one-touch button to launch your favorite Web site, application or document.

Help - Push this button when you need technical advice or help.

Navigation Zone - Ergonomically designed for comfort, new directional keys enhance gaming and Web navigation.

Multimedia Zone - One-touch CD controls: Play/pause, previous track & next track, volume up/down, stop, eject, mute and sleep Compatibility/Compliance • Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI)

• Plug-and-Play Compaq Extra Mile Service and Support The best approach to customer service, delivered just the way you

want it.

• Warranty:1 year on-site, 1 year carry in-labor and 1 year parts. Compaq Remote Support Allows a Compaq technician to connect to your PC and resolve technical difficulties. Compaq Service Connection Free PC tune-ups performed automatically over the Web. SOFTWARE Preinstalled Software

• McAfee Virus Scan

Microsoft(r) Money 2000

Microsoft(r) Windows(r) 98 Second Edition

Microsoft(r) Windows(r) Media Player

Microsoft(r) Works 2000

• RioPort Audio Manager 11

• Selective QuickRestore

Internet/Online

Microsoft(r) Encarta(r) Online Deluxe (1 year subscription)

Microsoft(r) Internet Explorer

Software on CD

• My Presario - Learning More CD

• Recovery CD
Old 10-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Thrifty94
Regular Contributor

a decent 7200 rp hard drive will cost about 60 quid.

Last edited by Adrian; 10-06-2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Discussing illegal downloads
Old 10-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Thrifty94
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by morph
get it if its free!
60-100 ?!?! to set up a computer! are you mad? Lol, you can get a normal re install for 50 quid from a professional. And I do it for 20 quid
Old 10-06-2009, 08:59 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Thrifty94
a decent 7200 rp hard drive will cost about 60 quid. *** Piracy References Removed ***
Probably the must useless bit of information bearing in mind it is a) illegal b) liable to get this thread locked and c) not going to help this chap whatsoever in getting his PC up and running.

Link for hard drives : http://www.ebuyer.com/search?store=2&cat=4
Windows XP Home : http://www.ebuyer.com/product/114048

Last edited by Adrian; 10-06-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Thrifty94
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by DanRSturbo
Probably the must useless bit of information bearing in mind it is a) illegal b) liable to get this thread locked and c) not going to help this chap whatsoever in getting his PC up and running.

Link for hard drives : http://www.ebuyer.com/search?store=2&cat=4
Windows XP Home : http://www.ebuyer.com/product/114048
yes it will... are you a fool? he wants pricing, and i told hm a way to find an operating system, and you cant tell me anything about computers. At all... whatsoever
and pmsl at ebuyer.com

www.scan.co.uk is much cheaper and more reliable

and im pretty sure he'd rather get a better quality, os fixed by a hacking team for free than paying for buggy microsuck software

Last edited by Thrifty94; 10-06-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:04 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

You gave him the links to 2 websites and didn't tell him how to use them

I'll remember to come to you for advice

I don't want to tell you anything about computers, i can see you are the oracle of the computer discussion forum
Old 10-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Thrifty94
Regular Contributor

You gave him the links to 2 websites and didn't tell him how to use them

I'll remember to come to you for advice

I don't want to tell you anything about computers, i can see you are the oracle of the computer discussion forum
put it this way, I know much more about computers than you and i can also code, and hack, circles around you.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:10 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

I bow down before your mighty computer skills You clearly know me and know of my computer skills.

I think i've been 100% more helpful then you to this chap, and if I lived closer I'd pop round and sort it out for him, not post links to torrent sites which he probably doesn't know how to use
Old 10-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Adrian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

put it this way, I know much more about computers than you and i can also code, and hack, circles around you.
Let me put it this way to you then.

1. Remove your sig for one within the limits defined by the rules.
2. Dont openly post links up for sites that refer to illegal downloading
3. Continue and I will ban you from site.
4. Can the attitude with other users of this forum or that will also result in a banning

Ok?

Thanks
Old 10-06-2009, 09:40 PM
KregRS

and if I lived closer I'd pop round and sort it out for him,

well if anyone's in the Ipswich area and can help sort it, let me know
Old 10-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Adrian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Would love to travel down the A140 and sort it for you FOC. But as its Ipswich....
Old 10-06-2009, 09:55 PM
morph
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

60-100 ?!?! to set up a computer! are you mad? Lol, you can get a normal re install for 50 quid from a professional. And I do it for 20 quid
that includes the price for the hdd NUMPTY!

Last edited by morph; 10-06-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:55 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

clearly not, if you write this "better quality, os fixed by a hacking team for free than paying for buggy microsuck software "
Old 13-06-2009, 09:50 AM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

He's 17, what did you expect
Old 13-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

FPMSL!!