General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Gotech Mfi Pro vs DTA S60PRO vs Omex 600

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 06:33 PM
jamieRST
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i originally posted this thread to get users of the above mentioned ecus to tell me their opinion of which is better,and why they chose their specific one.

i mentioned about the fiesta one,as that is actually fitted to the car standard and not a aftermarket management system like the ones above,.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Raj_FRST
Half Rice Half Chips

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a very long talk with tabetha about this and he is a walking encyclopedia when it comes to fords, the emerald is very good in the way it can use any sensor, you are not tied into any manufacturer, but a more than one mapper had told me that this system is very similar to omex but it is not as efficiant when live mapping in the sense that changing from different interface windows can be tedious, but I have spoke to the maker (d walker) a few times and he is very, very helpful which will put priceless value on anything he sells. I think im going with megasquirt now so I shall do my own thread when the time comes and let you all know my results
Old 09-06-2009, 07:52 PM
jamieRST

thanks raj
tbh i think its going to be emerald or gotech that i end up choosing
Old 09-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Raj_FRST
Half Rice Half Chips

Originally Posted by jamieRST
thanks raj
tbh i think its going to be emerald or gotech that i end up choosing
well its getting a bit easer for you then,lol, I was told by another tuner that gotech was unstable and when then tested it they were having issues with the injectors doing their own thing. I spoke in great detail with Jamie Going (jamsport Owner) and simon from sitech. Both blokes were amazingly helpful and put my mind at rest with the gotech systems. I found that the pro x was the one for as it has certain features which I think are a must such as idle control, the other models dont have this which can cause the idle speed to fluctuate (again so im told) I think after looking at the gotech software the mapping interface is different to the k3 but it is more user friendly. When are you looking at getting an ecu? let me know as im in the same boat but I shall be purchasing one in the next 2 - 6 weeks, if we can get a deal on 2 ecu's & looms then we may be able to save a few bob. The only thing that put me off emerald was the fact they are so far away from me, but if the deal was right I would chuch the rs on the flat bed and transport it down there.

Let me know mate there may be a deal out there to be had (if jamie or si is watching remember the credit crunch and do us a top deal.lol) And dave walker for that matter ( nothing like a bit of cheek)
Old 09-06-2009, 10:46 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

the mapping software for most of the low end spec/priced ecu's is written by Gemscom.
Gems use a far more user friendly version of their own software now on their own branded ecus. but you will pay more for a Gems ecu, but from what i have seen there are so many ecu's to choose from, you have to look at what you need it to do first, then look at what you get for your money.
I have good contacts at Gems, but dont expect it for emerald money, though the functions and support are second to no ones.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:13 PM
jamieRST

raj m8,
seriously i have been offered about 5 setups all fitted on the thread or by pm.i did state at the top of the thread,that management will be the last thing il be doing,as have decided to keep the car of the road,to fully resto it and redo the engine for more bhp.then will have management fitted and mapped.
ive spoken to jamsport and the price on mfi pro is 950 + vat then a shedload on top,for injectors etc,think having been offered 1500 for emerald k3 fitted with heatproof loom,set up with 3 maps,adjustable in car sounds pretty good to me.although i can still be changed lol
the readon ive asked this now is i like to plan and want to have everything sorted of what i want.
cheers guys
Old 10-06-2009, 03:23 AM
jamieRST

am i right in saying that with emerald i can have my boost lessend of in 1st and 2nd and mapped to come in hard at the end of 2nd and come in on full blast in 3rd,4th etc.so that i can effectively floor it from the lights,without wheelspin like a better version of launch control?not just saying can be done with only emerald,just saying as this is the one im looking at closely at the moment.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:02 AM
zvhrst

well i know this may be irrelivent, but if you had a K3 and forked out for a "GOOD" wideband, (note i said GOOD and not an INOSHIT! (innovate) ) i recomend stack or motec,
i use motec altho it did cost me 600 pounds!!! anyway

by linking up a wideband into the k3, you as a user can SET the afr's required at certain loads site etc, and then just drive and the ecu CAN map its self

it also has clever functions like "FILL IN" where you can map say 10 sites thru the compleat map and then use this feature and it will fill in all other sites to give a smooth runing,

*note doing this would NOT give best performance, but will let your engine run smooth and safe*
**as long as you put in the correct AFR's that is and u dont try runing 20psi thru with 14:1 AFR **
Old 10-06-2009, 07:07 AM
zvhrst

Originally Posted by jamieRST
am i right in saying that with emerald i can have my boost lessend of in 1st and 2nd and mapped to come in hard at the end of 2nd and come in on full blast in 3rd,4th etc.so that i can effectively floor it from the lights,without wheelspin like a better version of launch control?not just saying can be done with only emerald,just saying as this is the one im looking at closely at the moment.

yes you can.... simple answer,

but my advice on this would be NO lol

buy a boost controler that has this feature instead, with ECU controlled boost you will find in cold weather they overboost due to diference in atmos pressure etc etc,

i use a Blitz SBC ID3, IMO and everycar ive fitted one on, they are the BEST BC ever been released,
i think they dont make them no more but still do the "i colour" which is same but with colour screen and more functions,
scour ebay and see if you can pick up an ID3 tho

just my opinion of course, and if u wanted the ecu to control it, its really not a problem

also with emerald, launch control and ALS are due out somtime this year, and this is a free upgrade for anyone with a K3
Old 10-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Don't you think modern ecus have barometric and air charge temp correction then? Ever heard of closed loop boost control???
Old 10-06-2009, 07:59 AM
zvhrst

yes, but you will still have problems with oberboost etc,

maybe its just me as every car ive fitted and used a stand alone ecu on was runing a GT30 or bigger with external gates, which might make them harder to control,

all people have there own prefrences i suppose, but for me, you cant beat a good boost controler and where it has 2 jobs to do, control feedback and control desired boost at certain speed,

like i said just my preference,

the set up i run on my focus is this way, and why?? because i find it to be the best,

CGi block, with lotts of boost,
nortech manifold
GT3082/35 hybrid,
44mm tial gate
blitz controler,
and K3 managment, with map one for 95 ron fuel, map 2 for 98 ron fuel and map 3 for when i use the methanol spray
Old 10-06-2009, 09:15 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As said K3 has learning mode, it also has a excellent compared with std webber/marreli boost control that is throttle linked as well as rpm/boost linked, net result is no more waiting for boost to die.
When at one time mine was doing some RR work the tps decided to die, I of course didn't have a spare cossie one, so 10-15 mins later a universal one was attached, 2 mins on keyboard for tps aligment job done, no need for any reset of mapping etc.
Not being funny but there is no excuse for anyone who finds emerald hard to use, I can use it, and seriously I'm thick as pig shit when it comes to computers.
The important pages for setting up have the "F" keys as shorcuts, F8 being live update for example, if a mapper can't work this out, he needs to learn the phrase RTFM.
Read The Fucking Manual, that is supplied with the ecu, as well as all the stuff you need to use it on any half decent pc/laptop.
Dave was mapping a Caterham yesterday that had got water ingress in the ecu, due to bad/innapropriate placement, this was taken upstairs/fixed, no extra charge.
The service is second to none, and he won't supply other dealers unless he beleives in them and thier ability to do a good job.
It does have in gear adjustable boost on all three maps, but if you want to use just one map that's fine, or two or three, so even with wild cams etc can have a MOT map, then a proper driving map, another for closed loop/track map etc.
I know people who have track cars they use the K3 on these and thier road car as it is a 2 minute job to take from one car put in another and flick the switch to a completely different car's set up, or maybe even two track cars, can only drive one at a time!!
I live very near Emerald, so is convenient for me, but have not regretted my decision with who to go with for a second.
tabetha
Old 10-06-2009, 11:38 AM
zvhrst

Originally Posted by tabetha
As said K3 has learning mode, it also has a excellent compared with std webber/marreli boost control that is throttle linked as well as rpm/boost linked, net result is no more waiting for boost to die.
When at one time mine was doing some RR work the tps decided to die, I of course didn't have a spare cossie one, so 10-15 mins later a universal one was attached, 2 mins on keyboard for tps aligment job done, no need for any reset of mapping etc.
Not being funny but there is no excuse for anyone who finds emerald hard to use, I can use it, and seriously I'm thick as pig shit when it comes to computers.
The important pages for setting up have the "F" keys as shorcuts, F8 being live update for example, if a mapper can't work this out, he needs to learn the phrase RTFM.
Read The Fucking Manual, that is supplied with the ecu, as well as all the stuff you need to use it on any half decent pc/laptop.
Dave was mapping a Caterham yesterday that had got water ingress in the ecu, due to bad/innapropriate placement, this was taken upstairs/fixed, no extra charge.
The service is second to none, and he won't supply other dealers unless he beleives in them and thier ability to do a good job.
It does have in gear adjustable boost on all three maps, but if you want to use just one map that's fine, or two or three, so even with wild cams etc can have a MOT map, then a proper driving map, another for closed loop/track map etc.
I know people who have track cars they use the K3 on these and thier road car as it is a 2 minute job to take from one car put in another and flick the switch to a completely different car's set up, or maybe even two track cars, can only drive one at a time!!
I live very near Emerald, so is convenient for me, but have not regretted my decision with who to go with for a second.
tabetha
i agree with you,
i dont live near emerald and ive never met the designer/owner but ive spoke to him over phone,

i have used other ecu's DTA (various) / halltech / omex / etc
i found emerald to be the best,

halltech is good, and sounds daft to say this but.... the mapping interface is very childish and too simple, and not somthing i like,
the good part i do truly like about halltech is the seperate ignition driver board, keeps heat out of the ecu and makes the ecu more placable into small confined area's if needed,

but emerald is the one for me, and as i said above, i wont ever use another ecu on my cars