General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone know about zetec/supercharger set ups?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 08:40 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Anyone know about zetec/supercharger set ups?

Looking at the early Jackson racing syle superchargers for the Zetec and Honda engines they use a inlet manifold to mount it with no form of cooling.

I know superchargers of this kind arent very efficiant and suffer from heat soak issues which affects the charge temps.

Notice the later supercharger conversions use a built in chargecooler and mount the unit a lot lower to cure this problem.

Anyone think how much worse it would be if using a turbo to blow through the supercharger with it along with a chargecooler/intercooler and water injection?

Ive seen twin charging done this way before, but just wondering how bad the temps would get?

Last edited by XRT_si; 07-06-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont know but my hangover is rough, been in bed since i left you
Old 07-06-2009, 08:45 PM
fordrs2005
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one of the members of our group has not long finished a conversion of supercharging a 2 litre zetec fiesta it was at croft today dont know if u saw it or not ?
Old 08-06-2009, 09:21 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Bump? Will maybe can help?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Big Will_
Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Simon,

It can be done yes - the problem as you have already identified is air temps. In addition, not all superchargers like to have pressurised air blown into them, i looked into it for my car but estabilished it was likely to blow seals internally in the charger.

I think the JRSC has been used in compound applications before, if you have the space to build a small air to water heat exchanger core inbetween the charger and the plenum then you could be on to something... Belt lengths will obviously need changing etc.

Water injection could be used to take some of the heat out the air but i would be very careful and make sure it is fully mapped with the WI off so as to ensure safety if the jet ever gets blocked.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:40 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers Will, pretty much what I needed to know.

It would probably be mapped by MSD anyway, and as I say it would go through a intercooler and chargecooler before reaching the blower, but still worried about heat soak.

Looked at doing this awhile back but now the engine is in the car I quickly knocked up a mock inlet to trial fit roughly and get an idea if the pulley will clear, which it will. Might even have enough room to raise the charger up a few inches and therefore try and put a small chargecooler like you suggested:

Just something different to try, and wont cost much to knock up as I have the blower already and a good mate that can fabricate. Ill keep an eye on charge temps and if it doesnt work too well ill change back the M16 rover inlet I got.

Last edited by XRT_si; 08-06-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:46 PM
zetecdan
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the m45 jackson (baby one) charger on my mk2 mondeo and as you say they are not cooled. to help ease the temps i've got a snow water/meth injection kit and cool air feeds to the cone filter. bonnet vents are on the to do list. another guy on here (percybigun) has the same on his mk1 mondy. he has also relocated the battery to the boot and fitted a massive group a cone as the eaton dont like working for its air supply.
due to the design of the way the charger sits on the jackson manifold there is no way of fitting an intercooler unless you chop a hole in the bonnet and fab something up to go between the two.
the fiesta you saw (yellow one?) has the powerworks supercharger which is cooled and uses the next size uo the m62.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:28 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What sort of power can the M45s handle? And have they been known to be used compound charged before?
Old 09-06-2009, 05:27 PM
zetecdan
Regular Contributor

the m45 will just about do 230 ish with the small nose pulley and a bigger crank pulley to up the boost to around 10psi and then startrs to run out of steam.
there was a girl , ruth beaver, on the focus owners club who had both a turbo and jackson sc on her zetec focus. i think she was only running about 210bhp to keep things safe. i dont know what management she was using or if she had any internal upgrades.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:44 PM
cjwood555
Advanced PassionFord User

ruth's was originally s/c'd, went to twin-charging, then gave up and went to turbo only... make of that what you will. Chris Todd of TOTD built and mapped it and also has a twin-charged drag fiesta so would be a good chap to talk to

Chris