General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

can someone help with garage planning/regulations help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:29 PM
fatboyz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default can someone help with garage planning/regulations help please

hi people im planning to build a garage soon ish i have quite a big garden and the garage wouldnt even be 1 3rd of the total garden space even tho the garage im planning is 37ft x 24 ft i was going to build it from concrete block but it looks like i may need planning permission and have to be built to specific building regs etc so i was thinking about a steel construction cladded with steel sheet like the new buildings up santa pod the only thing i could think of cause i was up there last weekend any help to tell me if i need permission or ways round it would be great many many thanks
Old 06-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Dan1281
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

build one on wheels, move it 6 inch every year, they cant say shit about that lol
Old 06-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Char1ie

Step 1 is to speak to your planning officer. Go to the website of your local council, look up the planning regs and get the number for the planning department, speak to the planning officer and make an appointment. He/She will advise you.

Charlie
Old 06-06-2009, 10:42 PM
fatboyz

heres a quick pic of the garden i want the garage at the bottom of the garden pretty much the whole width

Old 06-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Danster76
Advanced PassionFord User

Google 'permitted development'. My garage is 46ftx29ft.

Last edited by Danster76; 07-06-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:43 PM
joe s

As Char1ie says but I hope there's no party wall agreement involved as I was going to do my garage but I have such bad neighbours my house is now on the market as its easier and cheaper to move!!

You could always ask a builder if you know any
Old 06-06-2009, 10:45 PM
fatboyz

Originally Posted by Char1ie
Step 1 is to speak to your planning officer. Go to the website of your local council, look up the planning regs and get the number for the planning department, speak to the planning officer and make an appointment. He/She will advise you.

Charlie
dont suppose you know how much this would cost , i was hoping for some one to say somthing like if it is a steel construction bolted down you dont need anything im not really even sure what i want it built from ??? (costs etc )
Old 06-06-2009, 10:48 PM
joe s

To be honest mate, if you built it out of wood and called it a shed then you can use up to 50% of your garden !!!
Old 06-06-2009, 10:49 PM
fatboyz

Originally Posted by joe s
As Char1ie says but I hope there's no party wall agreement involved as I was going to do my garage but I have such bad neighbours my house is now on the market as its easier and cheaper to move!!

You could always ask a builder if you know any
i may be being dim but what do you mean party wall ?? i have tried my bro as he knows a builder but he says he just gets givin plans and builds it all the planning is already done
Old 06-06-2009, 10:51 PM
fatboyz

Originally Posted by Danster76
Google 'permitted development'. My garage is 46ftx29ft
what do you mean ?? sorry

also how much did yours cost ??
Old 06-06-2009, 10:57 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I called the planning department, very helpful gave me all the info meaning I could build in safety and need not care what the neighbours thought.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:02 PM
RAT8OY

I am a senior building surveyor and you should really seek the advice of the local planning department. There are many many issues you will need to address despite what people will tell you. Nothing to worry about but get some formal advice in writing to cover you!

I do not wish to sound like an arse but asking a question like this is a bit like saying how do I build a cosworth engine with no previous experience. Its not hard as long as you know! Potentially very very costly if you dont!

Good luck anyway and go for it, take it as a challenge and you will learn a lot!
Old 06-06-2009, 11:07 PM
fatboyz

Originally Posted by RAT8OY
I am a senior building surveyor and you should really seek the advice of the local planning department. There are many many issues you will need to address despite what people will tell you. Nothing to worry about but get some formal advice in writing to cover you!

I do not wish to sound like an arse but asking a question like this is a bit like saying how do I build a cosworth engine with no previous experience. Its not hard as long as you know! Potentially very very costly if you dont!

Good luck anyway and go for it, take it as a challenge and you will learn a lot!
ok i think i will have too thanks
Old 06-06-2009, 11:14 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You should find they are very helpful and the good thing is that you will know you are fine and legal should anyone start to be a ass.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:32 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboyz
i may be being dim but what do you mean party wall ?? i have tried my bro as he knows a builder but he says he just gets givin plans and builds it all the planning is already done
a party wasl is basicly a wall on your side of your garden and a wall for your neighbour for their side of the garden on their property,, no sharing the samw wall with one side being owend by one house and th eother by the other guy, as per a semi/terraced type house
Old 06-06-2009, 11:32 PM
duff180
Virgin

Hi Fatboyz, I currently work in Architecture (Based in Northern Ireland) and draw plans for Planning & Building Control approvals.

I am also new here and haven’t posted yet! so not 100% sure on the rules for this site so don’t know if it’s ok to post up other website address!
Have a look at this site http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1115315233153.html which explains what you can build without planning permission and what you need planning permission for in England.

As for information on Party Walls have a look at this http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/133214.pdf. This agreement is required before any building works is started on a Party Wall. If you look at page 12 of this document as it also informs you what to do if you can not reach an agreement with your neighbour.

Hope this is of some help to people!
Old 07-06-2009, 08:21 AM
fatboyz

thanks for all your help so far everyone its been a great help