General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

ferarri to quit f1 shocker

Search this Thread

Old 13-05-2009, 09:03 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Also I have to point out the very similar example in America with the CART/INDYCAR split a few years ago..some big teams 'broke away' some stayed......result, both series suffered and now it's back as one
Old 13-05-2009, 09:09 AM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by Paddy
I've read what Chip wrote twice to make sure I didn't miss anything and can't see where he said F1 makes most of it's money from Ferarri Merchandise?

He said Ferarri fans spend the most out of the others on the credited merchandise.

I can't imagine this makes up the largest part of TOTAL F1 income by a long stretch and I doubt Chip thinks that either. But I'm pretty sure it's a nice chunk of money that Bernie and Max would be reluctant to cut off.
I know he didnt explicitly state that, but he implies that without Ferarri fans, Bernie wont be making as much money, which is true, but I can guarantee that the amount of money FOM Group would lose from Ferarri fans not buying merchandise would be negligible as a % of total turnover.

The major loss in revenue would be from some TV channels paying less for a series not including Ferarri. Which may or may not happen as we dont know the nature of the contracts the have with FOM. Fans merchandise will have little impact
Old 13-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondeo Man
I know he didnt explicitly state that, but he implies..
So you tried guessing what Chip meant and invented a whole thing of your own?

I can guarantee that the amount of money FOM Group would lose from Ferarri fans not buying merchandise would be negligible as a % of total turnover.
I've just had Bernie on the phone and he's extremely relieved he might not have to sell one of his yachts. He said don't worry about proper research and being privy to all the information, your guarantee on a Ford chat forum is enough for him.
Old 13-05-2009, 10:09 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

@ paddy

ferrari brings the sport "glamour" and "Passion" which no other team can bring to the table

and with arguably the biggest fan base, what are they going to loose by having, potentially, half their spectators on the day not bothering to turn up?

how will they be able to charge the same ammounts for tv rights if half the peole don't watch?

what about the circuts that rely on ticket sales and gate recipts on the weekend to generate income?

it's a lot bigger than just ferrari taking their ball and going home
Old 13-05-2009, 11:09 AM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by dojj
@ paddy

ferrari brings the sport "glamour" and "Passion" which no other team can bring to the table

Never said it didnt

and with arguably the biggest fan base, what are they going to loose by having, potentially, half their spectators on the day not bothering to turn up?

Thats conjecture not fact

how will they be able to charge the same ammounts for tv rights if half the peole don't watch?

Depends on what contracts are already in place doesnt it

what about the circuts that rely on ticket sales and gate recipts on the weekend to generate income?

Didnt see a massive Ferarri contingent at Barcelona

it's a lot bigger than just ferrari taking their ball and going home

I agree and never said it wasnt. It would damage the brand and the value if Ferarri left, BUT it needs to be done, at least 50% of the grid couldnt survive and be competitive without the budget cap...Ferarri going ( they dont have to! ) would be the 'lesser of two evils'

Old 13-05-2009, 11:11 AM
It's Czech Mate

So you tried guessing what Chip meant and invented a whole thing of your own?

I've just had Bernie on the phone and he's extremely relieved he might not have to sell one of his yachts. He said don't worry about proper research and being privy to all the information, your guarantee on a Ford chat forum is enough for him.
Genuinely humourous reply but I am alowed to interpret his post as I see fit, he hasnt been on to correct me!

The figures are available for all to see.
Old 13-05-2009, 11:13 AM
It's Czech Mate

to be honest, there isnt a budget cap this year and Ferarri are shit, so by being uncompetitive are they damaging the brand of F1 because they arent winning?
Old 13-05-2009, 11:34 AM
dojj

i think that certain facts will come out if/when ferrari pull the plug and if it damages the sport, only time wil ltell if it is fatal in the long run or not

just because barcelona doesn't have many ferrari fans, what about the likes of monza? they might as well stop racing there and find another italian venue beause you know what's going to happen, they'll just tell bernie to fuck off

better still, i reckon, if it came down to it, i reckon a lot more peole would come to see a ferari only racing weekend at monza on the same weekend as the replacement f1 venue

as for the budget cap, it's a bit different to running a race or being a footie team where being shit means lots less revenuse and everything else suffering

imgaine ford put another cosworth engine into a car, the history surrounding it would make it a seller, just look at what the yanks got when they started to downgrade the thunderbird

being famous by association is something money can't buy

but lets see what happens over the next few weeks
Old 13-05-2009, 11:44 AM
It's Czech Mate

i think that certain facts will come out if/when ferrari pull the plug and if it damages the sport, only time wil ltell if it is fatal in the long run or not

just because barcelona doesn't have many ferrari fans, what about the likes of monza? they might as well stop racing there and find another italian venue beause you know what's going to happen, they'll just tell bernie to fuck off

better still, i reckon, if it came down to it, i reckon a lot more peole would come to see a ferari only racing weekend at monza on the same weekend as the replacement f1 venue

I dont think so. Otherwise they'd be doing it and raking in the cash. Theres plenty of one make series already

as for the budget cap, it's a bit different to running a race or being a footie team where being shit means lots less revenuse and everything else suffering

Dont see how?

imgaine ford put another cosworth engine into a car, the history surrounding it would make it a seller, just look at what the yanks got when they started to downgrade the thunderbird

Ford dont own Cosworth Cosworth have already won the tender to supply a 'standardised' engine to F1 for customer teams. Their history both past and recent and the indicated specs points to this being a very successful unit. Fail to see how it couldnt be with the current regs!

totally agree. I think F1 will remain intact. Ferarri needs it more than it needs Ferarri ( but only about 60/40 LOL! )

.................................................. ...........
Old 13-05-2009, 12:18 PM
dojj

I dont think so. Otherwise they'd be doing it and raking in the cash. Theres plenty of one make series already
one make may be, but i was on about an annual event, just to put bernies nose out of joint

Dont see how?
if man u start to loose, even after lots of money being dished out, their sponders aren't going to be happy and the drop to the lower divisions is going to hurt, just look at southampton, down 2 divisions in 2 years, can you imagine how that is going to affect their revenues?
ricky hatton is a big draw for sure, but the days of big money payouts for over the hill boxers is long gone, how many of you watched the danny williams/tyson fight? how many of you watched his last fight?
but would you even have been aware of his last fight? yet if tyson were to make a comeback, even if you didn't watch it, you'd sure as shit know about it
exactly

Ford dont own Cosworth Cosworth have already won the tender to supply a 'standardised' engine to F1 for customer teams. Their history both past and recent and the indicated specs points to this being a very successful unit. Fail to see how it couldnt be with the current regs!
i think you missed the point, another cossie would fly off the dealer forecourts, if they've made such a fuss about the latests rs car, imagine what the cossie engine would do for sales, it's all about branding, and the brand virtually garantee's commercial success

totally agree. I think F1 will remain intact. Ferarri needs it more than it needs Ferarri ( but only about 60/40 LOL! )

yes, lets
Old 13-05-2009, 12:27 PM
It's Czech Mate

one make may be, but i was on about an annual event, just to put bernies nose out of joint

if man u start to loose, even after lots of money being dished out, their sponders aren't going to be happy and the drop to the lower divisions is going to hurt, just look at southampton, down 2 divisions in 2 years, can you imagine how that is going to affect their revenues?
ricky hatton is a big draw for sure, but the days of big money payouts for over the hill boxers is long gone, how many of you watched the danny williams/tyson fight? how many of you watched his last fight?
but would you even have been aware of his last fight? yet if tyson were to make a comeback, even if you didn't watch it, you'd sure as shit know about it

my point exactly, you're saying unless Ferarri is winning in F1 then its bad for them and they lose value

Same as any other team Dojj, they dont have a god given 'right' to win.

i think you missed the point, another cossie would fly off the dealer forecourts, if they've made such a fuss about the latests rs car, imagine what the cossie engine would do for sales, it's all about branding, and the brand virtually garantee's commercial success

Nobody makes Cosworth branded cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ford Own the rights to using the name on a car but they wont so it's an irrelivant point

yes, lets
roll on F1 2010 with 26 cars
Old 13-05-2009, 12:49 PM
tsutton
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More update - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/8048112.stm - another one to the list...
Old 13-05-2009, 02:26 PM
dojj

roll on F1 2010 with 26 cars
Originally Posted by tsutton
More update - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/8048112.stm - another one to the list...

roll on 2010 with 6 cars on the grid more like
Old 13-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

So F1 makes most of its money from Ferarri merchandise?
It makes more money from its F1 team branded merchandise from the ferrari team than any of the other teams yes.

I think possibly you misread that comment though to think that somehow I was implying that it makes more money from Ferrari Merchandise than it does from say Television rights, which wouldnt be accurate of course, but that was NOTHING like that I actually said in the first place, my comment was this and ONLY this :

Ferrari fans are the ones spending the most money on F1 credited merchandise, so them keeping winning will be great for business for bernie and just lousy for motor racing enthusiasts like you

FOM has a wide range of revenue streams, the only one that I was referring to directly there was the team branded merchandice.

However, FOM makes plenty of money beyond that directly linked to Ferrari's involvement as well, as things like television right revenue is related to viewer numbers, and if a lot of the ferrari fans stopped watching then those numbers and hence that revenue stream would also decrease.

So there are many reasons FOM need to keep Ferrari in order to maximise profit, but I was only referring to one particular stream with my reply you quoted and misread.

Last edited by Chip; 13-05-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 13-05-2009, 02:43 PM
It's Czech Mate

I didnt misread.....you didnt qualify what you said.
Old 13-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I didnt misread.....you didnt qualify what you said.
Yes, you did misread.

I was VERY clearly talking about purely team merchandise, I mentioned nothing about other revenue streams and their relative value to FOM at all.

As per what paddy said yesterday:

Originally Posted by Chip
Ferrari fans are the ones spending the most money on F1 credited merchandise, so them keeping winning will be great for business for bernie and just lousy for motor racing enthusiasts like you
Originally Posted by Mongdeo man
So F1 makes most of its money from Ferarri merchandise?

I've read what Chip wrote twice to make sure I didn't miss anything and can't see where he said F1 makes most of it's money from Ferarri Merchandise?

He said Ferarri fans spend the most out of the others on the credited merchandise.

I can't imagine this makes up the largest part of TOTAL F1 income by a long stretch and I doubt Chip thinks that either. But I'm pretty sure it's a nice chunk of money that Bernie and Max would be reluctant to cut off.

Last edited by Chip; 13-05-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 15-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor.
Wow !!!

No thats the best thing you have ever said about F1...
well if ferrari dont win the court case it will go ahead

Apart from the fact Bernie was indeed a racing driver himself , then a team owner as well and Max was a racing driver then founder of March, a pretty sucessfull team.

So yeah, lets give it to racing drivers and see what they do with it
really why's is that when its mainly those two they want to get away from ?