General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

RR or live map???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Westy
FPMSL.... over moderating at its best

Did someone cry....
I don't really get that either?
Old 11-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Apparently I was baiting lol...

Read Chips replies to you and how derogatory (spl??) they are... thats baiting IMO.

Traders should not be mods...
Old 11-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Well your post was just your usual obsessive following me around to talk about me rather than the thread.

Read Chips replies to you and how derogatory (spl??) they are... thats baiting IMO.
Where as my comments are on topic, and relevant, there are loads of shit rolling road operators out there who think they can tune a car when they cant, and people need to realise that WHO they choose to map their car is a lot more important than HOW that mapping is done, Ive seen people turned over and come away very unhappy after paying good money to someone who doesnt know what they are doing when the job was actually very simple to anyone who is half decent at mapping.

Last edited by Chip; 11-05-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

It would be very interesting to completely map mine on the road .

Mine is Dyno mapped, will be put on a RR & then low speed mapping (up to 180ish) on the road & then High Speed mapped on an airfield.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Chip

LMAO @ "low speed mapped" referring to 180mph
Old 11-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you feel that Chip's baiting, report the post & we'll look into it mate.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by MadRod
It would be very interesting to completely map mine on the road .

Mine is Dyno mapped, will be put on a RR & then low speed mapping (up to 180ish) on the road & then High Speed mapped on an airfield.
Where the hell do you do 180, and more to the point what crack pot has the balls to be looking at a laptop at 180.

Benni.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

appreciate that AJ but its the net pal.. these things aren't important enough to me to be bothered by it... unlike some
Old 11-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Benni
Where the hell do you do 180, and more to the point what crack pot has the balls to be looking at a laptop at 180.

Benni.
Rod's car is fast enough to be doing 180mph in small spaces, half a mile straight is more than enough for him to see that sort of speed.

I would imagine that Mark does a lot of the map from logging the results when doing speeds like that, its not good for an engine in that state of tune to be held under load on the brakes restricting the RPM for long periods as you update a cell to truely "live map" it (much like a rollers does in fact, another bad thing about using them, especially if the operator is a bit slow!)

Thats what I do anyway on SM4 as it logging so good, live monitor it and then change it and monitor it again, you can do an enormous amount of mapping from just a couple of blasts up the road like that
Old 11-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I couldn't turn a Laptop on at them speeds. He must have no fear. I mean, I wouldn't be scared, but I couldn't have my head in a computer. Thank's for the explanation. It's nice when people come in a thread to discuss the topic itself.

Benni.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:01 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
Well thats a total nonsense, if 2 engines are correctly blueprinted to be exactly the same then they will indeed be exactly the same, .

Off topic but

I'm just reading 'Cosworth, The Search For Power' and in one of the chapters I think on DFV's it says about how some engines made up to 30bhp more than others on the engine dyno, all made to the same spec by Cosworth, it was infuriating Keith Duckworth to the point where everytime it happend he'd have it stripped, measured and inspected to see why and even he never managed to figure it out....

Last edited by It's Czech Mate; 11-05-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Mondeo Man
Off topic but

I'm just reading 'Cosworth, The Search For Power' and in one of the chapters I think on DFV's it says about how some engines made up to 30bhp more than others on the engine dyno, all made to the same spec by Cosworth, it was infuriating Keith Duckworth to the point where everytime it happend he'd have it stripped, measured and inspected to see why and even he never managed to figure it out....
Shows how much things have come on since then, no such problem with modern high end racing engines.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:23 PM
It's Czech Mate

Shows how much things have come on since then, no such problem with modern high end racing engines.
Are you suggesting the company that developed the most accurate known casting process in the auto industry, and out of it, because nobody else could supply them with quality, consistent castings couldnt take a few measurements and differentiate between parts when an engine was giving slightly higher readings? And then ridicule themselves by publishing the fact?

Ok.

Back on topic anyway
Old 11-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Chip

Are you suggesting the company that developed the most accurate known casting process in the auto industry, and out of it, because nobody else could supply them with quality, consistent castings couldnt take a few measurements and differentiate between parts when an engine was giving slightly higher readings? And then ridicule themselves by publishing the fact?

Ok.

Back on topic anyway
Identifying internal difference within a complex shape like a cylinder head port, with the available technology at the time, wasnt easy, as he himself demonstrated with the frustration that you are mentioning there.

What Im suggesting is that since then things have moved on, hence I said "shows how much things have moved on, no such problems with modern high end racing engines"
Heads in formula 1 these days arent cast for example, they are very accurately machined from billet and are genuinely the same and give the same power (well to within a tolerance that I personally consider the same, 1% for example, everyone has their own view of what consitutes the same as I mentioned earlier in this thread)

Dont let a few facts stop you from having a completely innacurate rant though mate
Old 11-05-2009, 03:36 PM
It's Czech Mate

Identifying internal difference within a complex shape like a cylinder head port, with the available technology at the time, wasnt easy, as he himself demonstrated with the frustration that you are mentioning there.

What Im suggesting is that since then things have moved on, hence I said "shows how much things have moved on, no such problems with modern high end racing engines"
Heads in formula 1 these days arent cast for example, they are very accurately machined from billet and are genuinely the same and give the same power (well to within a tolerance that I personally consider the same, 1% for example, everyone has their own view of what consitutes the same as I mentioned earlier in this thread)

Dont let a few facts stop you from having a completely innacurate rant though mate
Not having a rant, just repeating what I've read ( in context ) as that was the point being made in the book.

I also know a little about error, having some background in statistics.

1% error is massive BTW IMO

To be honest if one of the worlds finest engineers couldn't figure out his problem i dunno why he didnt just post on PF and find his answer.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:40 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

Wasn't the research your refering to carried out during the stone age?
Old 11-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Chip

To be honest if one of the worlds finest engineers couldn't figure out his problem i dunno why he didnt just post on PF and find his answer.
The reason he couldnt, is that the internet didnt exist, and neither did computer controlled 5 axis milling machines and most of the other technology available to us now.
Thats the glaringly obvious point you are TOTALLY missing.

If he then had access to the knowlege in my head now, he would have viewed me as the most valuable resource on the planet, same goes for any other person from the year 2009 with a reasonable knowledge about engines.
Things like closed loop fuelling control and knock control, he couldnt have even imagined at the point he was staring at a DFV in a world of punch card operated computers!

He was a brilliant man and an awesome engineer, but he was limited by available technology (so much so that he went on to try and improve technology as he himself realised the possibilities im sure to a certain extent) at the time, and was therefore limited in accuracy by what was possible.

They had NO way of accurately making two heads the same (as in like to within a hundredth of a thou in every single dimension on the entire head) at that point in time, it simply couldnt be done at all, where as now it can be done very easily providing you have the cash to do so.

I could make a far more accurate run of engines in 2009 than they made back then, thats not a comment on the relative merits of me versus him, its a reflection of how technology can bridge and surpass such a massive gulf in talent.

Your stuck in the past with your opinions, and reading books from the 60s/70s before the advent of modern computer controlled mills isnt going to help you any with getting closer to the truth of what can very easily be achieved in 2009.

Last edited by Chip; 11-05-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:48 PM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by lead_foot
Wasn't the research your refering to carried out during the stone age?
No
Old 11-05-2009, 03:52 PM
It's Czech Mate

The reason he couldnt, is that the internet didnt exist, and neither did computer controlled 5 axis milling machines and most of the other technology available to us now.
Thats the glaringly obvious point you are TOTALLY missing.

If he then had access to the knowlege in my head now, he would have viewed me as the most valuable resource on the planet, same goes for any other person from the year 2009 with a reasonable knowledge about engines.
Things like closed loop fuelling control and knock control, he couldnt have even imagined at the point he was staring at a DFV in a world of punch card operated computers!

He was a brilliant man and an awesome engineer, but he was limited by available technology (so much so that he went on to try and improve technology as he himself realised the possibilities im sure to a certain extent) at the time, and was therefore limited in accuracy by what was possible.

They had NO way of accurately making two heads the same (as in like to within a hundredth of a thou in every single dimension on the entire head) at that point in time, it simply couldnt be done at all, where as now it can be done very easily providing you have the cash to do so.

I could make a far more accurate run of engines in 2009 than they made back then, thats not a comment on the relative merits of me versus him, its a reflection of how technology can bridge and surpass such a massive gulf in talent.

Your stuck in the past with your opinions, and reading books from the 60s/70s before the advent of modern computer controlled mills isnt going to help you any with getting closer to the truth of what can very easily be achieved in 2009.
FPMSL

So you dont think he had the brainwave to swap heads in his tests, bearing in mind he was a brilliant engineer. He REALLY should have come on PF to sort his shit out

And as for the accuracy, he quotes " We could normally predict the power with 1-2 BHP before it even went on the the dyno ( which is why they were flummoxed by the odd result ) so I really dont think their process of making the cylinder heads is in question.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:56 PM
It's Czech Mate

Oh right, so these engines we're on about mapping, these cosworths and the ones Christian is on about....none of them are 20 year old heads, all of them are machined from solid billet to zero tolerance
Old 11-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Chip

FPMSL

So you dont think he had the brainwave to swap heads in his tests, bearing in mind he was a brilliant engineer. He REALLY should have come on PF to sort his shit out

And as for the accuracy, he quotes " We could normally predict the power with 1-2 BHP before it even went on the the dyno ( which is why they were flummoxed by the odd result ) so I really dont think their process of making the cylinder heads is in question.
My example of head ports was just one example of differences in technology between then and now, I wasnt saying that is what the difference in the specific 2 engines was, as I havent been given the specific 2 engines and a budget with which to analyse them, it was purely an example that anyone familiar with modern technology would be able to see clearly is a drastic difference between then and now which renders what he could do at the time as pretty irrelevant in deciding what is possible now.

Last edited by Chip; 11-05-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Chip

Oh right, so these engines we're on about mapping, these cosworths and the ones Christian is on about....none of them are 20 year old heads, all of them are machined from solid billet to zero tolerance
Thats a totally different subject to the one with regards to wether or not two engines are the same, hence I posted ages ago:

I suspect that your idea of what consitutes "same spec" is somewhat different to mine mate, lets leave it at that as its fairly off topic anyway for this debate.
Its got NOTHING to do with wether road or roller mapping is better, as people are just talking about one specific engine, so yes in that instance its totally identical, your 20 year old cylinder head casting is exactly the same as itself.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Christ, I'm glad it's not only me thats finding Chip an argumentative git!!

Chipster, perhaps you'll pop over to the RST section and grace the thread from the guy that is looking for blue polybushes with some of your technical knowledge.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
Christ, I'm glad it's not only me thats finding Chip an argumentative git!!
No mate, its not just you, its the other bloke who is also talking bollocks as well.

Chipster, perhaps you'll pop over to the RST section and grace the thread from the guy that is looking for blue polybushes with some of your technical knowledge.
I wouldnt know where to get blue polybushes from, Ive never specified them based on colour.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

All bow down to Chip. He, the fountain of knowledge of all things.

We should rename this forum PassionChip.com.

Whatever your question, Chip can answer it.

Chip, I'm looking to improve the condition of my grass, which is a little bare and mossy. Can you help??
Old 11-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
All bow down to Chip. He, the fountain of knowledge of all things.

We should rename this forum PassionChip.com.

Whatever your question, Chip can answer it.

Chip, I'm looking to improve the condition of my grass, which is a little bare and mossy. Can you help??
Sorry mate, I stick to only commenting on the limited few subjects that I do know something about, such as engines, mapping, turbos, handling, that sort of thing, as on those subjects Im able to provide a lot of useful information to the users of this forum.
So I cant help at all with the gardening question as I dont reply to questions that I dont know much about, maybe you should try applying the same filter on what you post as I do and you wouldnt then end up posting such nonsense in the first place
Old 11-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Sorry mate, I stick to only commenting on the limited few subjects that I do know something about, such as engines, mapping, turbos, handling, that sort of thing, as on those subjects Im able to provide a lot of useful information to the users of this forum.
So I cant help at all with the gardening question as I dont reply to questions that I dont know much about, maybe you should try applying the same filter on what you post as I do and you wouldnt then end up posting such nonsense in the first place
That's great Chip-diddy-Chip.

I feel better now we've had a little bit of humour. Isn't it great?
Old 11-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Chip

Yes mate, its good that we can all enjoy a laugh and not take anything more seriously than is appropriate for the purpose of threads being useful to people to learn from, its only a forum after all
Old 11-05-2009, 06:13 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
why would increasing air speed be an advantage?
bttt for christian as he seems to have missed my question amongst the 'discussion'
Old 11-05-2009, 06:42 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

forgive me if im wrong but isn't a "live map" and a "RR map" the same thing?

is a RR map not considered as a "live map"?
Old 11-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bttt for christian as he seems to have missed my question amongst the 'discussion'
I suppose narrowing the outlet increases the speed and allows you to focus the air. So ur questions (which seems a little loaded?) suggests that the volume of the air is the same (sure thing) but from the way Christian has said it is sped up, that he is suggesting that will make the car cooler, and you are suggesting that it won't as the voume of air doesn't change?

I guess the extra speed (created by the funnelling effect) just means ALL the air the fan is producing goes in the right place, but does not impact the volume?

Cheers

RW
Old 11-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Most of the large fans I have seen end up blowing most of the air over the bonnett.

Mark
Old 11-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCZDodUAn8Y

This is the fan we use on the RR next to my new unit

Mark
Old 11-05-2009, 08:06 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven_RW
I suppose narrowing the outlet increases the speed and allows you to focus the air. So ur questions (which seems a little loaded?) suggests that the volume of the air is the same (sure thing) but from the way Christian has said it is sped up, that he is suggesting that will make the car cooler, and you are suggesting that it won't as the voume of air doesn't change?

I guess the extra speed (created by the funnelling effect) just means ALL the air the fan is producing goes in the right place, but does not impact the volume?

Cheers

RW
absolutely spot on mr rw
Old 11-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Yes, as per RW's reply. The 'nozzle' on our fan was designed to channel all the air from it's 900mm circular outlet, into a smaller shape more suited to the size of an Intercooler in it's usual position. Naturally this will speed up the airflow, but the main reason for doing it was to concentrate the air where it's needed.

Consequently, this doesn't suit EVERY application, but we had to focus on what we do most of and improvise on the rest. We've done OK so far.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Can I ask Chip, in refference to modern technology being so much better. How come the power differences on the new GTR engines differ greatly?

Benni.

Last edited by Benni; 11-05-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Si B
2Evos & 1 Escort Van :-)

Originally Posted by Mark Shead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCZDodUAn8Y

This is the fan we use on the RR next to my new unit

Mark

Hmm, breezy
Old 11-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chip has mentioned it but i thought i would bring it up again.

For all the people that say that the holy grail of engine calibration is "live mapping" i would have to disagree.

Datalogging is one of the best ways i have found to map a car. You can log data from many inputs and then simply change the ecu map whilst sat having a cup of tea.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:35 PM
morph
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Off topic but

why doesn't he just ask CHIP? i know it might be 20 years late but at least he won't need to drink Horlics every night!
Old 11-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Benni
Can I ask Chip, in refference to modern technology being so much better. How come the power differences on the new GTR engines differ greatly?

Benni.
Bear in mind where turbo's are concerned its very easy for the power to vary by a few percent, only needs to be half a psi difference in boost to see that.
But Im not convinced on the power outputs varying as much as some journalists claim anyway TBH given the level of information the ECU has available to it, if Nissan wanted them all within a couple of BHP then they would be, so the most likely reason is because they have deliberately given the press fleet a little more to wow the journalists test driving them IMHO
Thats only my opinion though, I cant profess to be any sort of GTR expert and have only answered that question at all because it was specifically aimed at me.

Quick Reply: RR or live map???