General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

fast ford /performance ford

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to PassionFord, Luke!

I've been very impressed with the last 2 issues of Performance Ford. I can see you're trying to put your own stamp on it from the off. I'm sure it'll go from strength to strength now.

I buy both magazines, always have and always will!
Old 07-05-2009, 01:59 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if it was me i would be asking for a signature giving sole rights for say 12 months that the owners car about to be featured and photoed does not end up fully featured in another magazine. if the owner declines you know they are a mag tart don't ya.
i know for a fact a bloke i know who's x pack rs 2 had been in various magazines couldn't get it in ff or pf because it had been seen before,imo its story was even better than the one dragged out of a german museum.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:16 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cozzfather
if it was me i would be asking for a signature giving sole rights for say 12 months that the owners car about to be featured and photoed does not end up fully featured in another magazine. if the owner declines you know they are a mag tart don't ya.
i know for a fact a bloke i know who's x pack rs 2 had been in various magazines couldn't get it in ff or pf because it had been seen before,imo its story was even better than the one dragged out of a german museum.
People generally don't take too kindly to us mistrusting them, so it's not something I'd rush to do. I've had a hand in hundreds of feature cars over the years and generally the owners are genuine and know the score. The odd person does try it on but we often find out (there was another car/cars in this issue of PF where the owner tried to do the double, but was rumbled)

It's unfortunate in this instance as both could have been avoided!

As for the X Pack - Mk2s are too old for us, so it would be CF territory!
Old 07-05-2009, 03:28 PM
G950KDT
Advanced PassionFord User

i think regardless of what mag it is, as long as quality cars are featured, good write ups, good useful product reviews out there, then it'll benefit the buyers of either mag regardless of who it is, after all, the staff of each one are there like we are for the love of fords!
Old 07-05-2009, 03:30 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Dan i think FF has come on leaps and bounds over the last year or so, i always used to buy PF , the one thing that does piss me of regarding FF is the Staff cars, they seem to be very much behind reality and one month there is a car in then next it is out, l realise personal finance comes into things but as you start reading it gets a little tedious next month there not being anything, also when there are major changes like Neil moving his car from 3000 what ever to TOTD that type of thing,

Other than that a great mag

Mike
Old 07-05-2009, 03:57 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by MikeR
Dan i think FF has come on leaps and bounds over the last year or so, i always used to buy PF , the one thing that does piss me of regarding FF is the Staff cars, they seem to be very much behind reality and one month there is a car in then next it is out, l realise personal finance comes into things but as you start reading it gets a little tedious next month there not being anything, also when there are major changes like Neil moving his car from 3000 what ever to TOTD that type of thing,

Other than that a great mag

Mike
Interesting points. As for Neil's car - when a garage promises to do a load of work and then 6 months down the line has done next to nothing there's not a lot you can do other than take it to a more professional garage who WILL (and are as we speak) finishing it off.

The other cars coming and going are genuinely down to personal finances, and of late many people simply don't have the cash to complete the cars as quickly as they (and we'd) like. Also companies used to help out with costs in return for coverage, that seldom happens which slows down progress somewhat when you're on a real world wage!

But points taken onboard, and I'll look into ways to make it less irritating.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:17 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

DanW thank you for thaking the comments in context, it really is down to the consistance of them, othen than that its a great mag,

I did like the Head to Head in PF but have them maybe go against different comparative cars,

I would also like to see some features go into a bit more details, maybe some more in depth interveiws etc, but these are all personal veiws,

Thanks

Mike
Old 07-05-2009, 05:41 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

let me put my view across, seeing as i've also heard "from the horses mouth" so to speak about the departures of the pf lads

there were no underhanded reasons for their departures, they wern't "forced out" they wern't "sacked", it wasn't my fault, nothing sinister happened

ok, now that's over with, my points for both mags, and several others might fall into these categories too so it's not just focused on pf and ff, even though this is what the thread is about

i've been buying both mags for probably 20 years or so now and, until the upsurge of the internet, they were both better/worse than each other with the balance tipping one way or the other every few months when one would be doing something different to the other

as time went on though, and the 2000's started, along with the influx of the max power brigade, there were several obvious reasons why the mags should have got better or worse, or even extinct but the reasons pf has failed, as far as i can see, are very simple

backgrounds
they were forever putting the background colours and the writing in very similar colours, so it was very difficult to read
ff had this issue and it was only once that i can remember and whoever was in charge at the time did point out that this was going to be something that was going to be looked at very closly to prevent it from happening again but with pf it just happened at random

the lists
in the beginning it was great to have a few pages dedicated to a list of who was in what and how they did performancewise on any given day, well impresive in that it was done on the equipment to hand at the time, on the day and printed out, in most cases, on the main page of each featured car, but then it became 10 pages of the same thing over and over again and, i feel, a very lazy way to fill out the mag

the pull out tech pages
again, a great idea, but as time went on, i think it's become a reason to save printing costs rather than anything else as you get not so glossy paper filled with the same filler every month, compounding the issue with the featured car times

companies promoted by the mag (aka, give us free stuff and we won't bad mouth you)
pumabuild (searh for dojj, brakes, pumabuild) nuff said

so while it started off as a good step in a new direction, several eyars of it have made the whole mag stagnant with just the same things over and over again, and even if you have the best cars in the world on the covers, like LA galaxy, one superstar doesn't win you the game or save you the season

sure future have a bigger budget to do stuff, but that sholdn't mean that pf should be viewed as the cheaper substitute

in the same way that simon had a very laid back approach, i felt, to guiding ff through some easy times, (not that simon should take it as a slur on his reputation as i enjoy the way he's got classic ford going, it's "just right" for me for what i percive that mag to be and the peole it's aimed at) dan has taken a different approach to the running of the mag and the subtle changes he's bought about have enhanced the mag rather than taking it in a drasticly different direction, but you can see how the things he's ammended have worked with the whole package, rather than standing out and being obvious

i also hold my hands up to pm'ing dan (and others in the past) with specific problems with the mag, rather than pasting it all over the internet as i have done in the past, but this method hasn' seemed to have worked with the pf crew, who either have not acknowledged the fact or have remained tight lipped about everything

and if you were to ignore the personals between me and porkie in that post from last year (i don't think we will be sending each other christmas cards, but as far as i'm concerend, water under the bridge and i've moved on, not one to hold a grudge although it may have been better for me to have bit my tounge a bit in that post), there were several points i raised then that raised a few eyebrows with the replies that were posted

that said, i have still not bought a copy of pf since that post, i haven't even flicked through a copy when it was on the shelf in front of me, if someone were to give me a copy and ask me to review it against what i have been led to expect, i'll put up a full and frank review of the mag, if it's good enough to warrant purchasing a copy, i'll go and get one the next month, and so on and so forth

i've still got 4 hours of lucidity before my next batch of pills so if someone wants to comment i shall attempt to answer any other questions this post has raised

thank you
Old 07-05-2009, 05:50 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive always prefered fast ford
Old 07-05-2009, 05:52 PM
CRAIG HAYTER
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by col cos1
ive always prefered fast ford

+1
Old 07-05-2009, 06:06 PM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been looking forward to and enjoying both Fast Ford and Performance Ford for around 11yrs now and will no doubt continue to do so for a few more years to come
Old 07-05-2009, 06:07 PM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
let me put my view across
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 07-05-2009, 06:13 PM
pee vee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gus
the miserable one

who is that, he seemed chirpy when i see him at central day

dont think he ever liked me and fudgeee after he rolled up at brunters

and we asked

'whos doin beat the dwarf then?'

'it dorf, Alright'

miserable git!
Old 07-05-2009, 06:13 PM
PT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Dojj fuck reading all that
Old 07-05-2009, 06:17 PM
sidewaysdave
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

it always used to be pf for me but over the last year its been ff also having my s2 in ff rolling road feature helped as well!!!
Old 07-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by PT

oh yes +1

Old 07-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

I tried my hardest to get my old concourse RST in Fast Ford and they did'nt want to know. I was told it was too far to travel.

I'm only in Tyne and Wear.

My Cossy is as standard as you can get bar the exhaust so I guess I have no chance then

Old 07-05-2009, 07:03 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by pee vee
dont think he ever liked me and fudgeee after he rolled up at brunters

and we asked

'whos doin beat the dwarf then?'

'it dorf, Alright'

miserable git!
Thats fucking funny

Mike
Old 07-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by rstdave
Does amaze me that people manage to get their cars in both mags the same month, don't know why anyone would want two identical write ups! Fast Ford for me, they did my feature and i couldn't fault them in fairness with stand places/tickets etc. Performance Ford seems to have gone to the dogs now Dave and the miserable one have left, and the budget they used to use on project cars in the past no wonder they're not doin too well!

ive known nick years and i dont class him as miserable.always had time to chat etc, a top bloke imo.and no i havent had a car featured either so im not sticking up for that reason
Old 07-05-2009, 08:03 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by saphcosmike
I tried my hardest to get my old concourse RST in Fast Ford and they did'nt want to know. I was told it was too far to travel.

I'm only in Tyne and Wear.

My Cossy is as standard as you can get bar the exhaust so I guess I have no chance then

Who told you it was too far to travel, to my knowledge we've never said that? As for your cars - concours, or lightly modified examples are perfect for use in a buying-guide type feature, but as a tuning magazine, features generally go to cars with a well rounded collection of mods. Not always, and there are exceptions.

I must get offered 'mint standard' RSTs once a week, and it's never nice to say "sorry, it's not what we're looking for", but we can't feature a car because it's clean, no matter how clean it is! Sorry!
Old 07-05-2009, 08:31 PM
dakar

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Who told you it was too far to travel, to my knowledge we've never said that? As for your cars - concours, or lightly modified examples are perfect for use in a buying-guide type feature, but as a tuning magazine, features generally go to cars with a well rounded collection of mods. Not always, and there are exceptions.

I must get offered 'mint standard' RSTs once a week, and it's never nice to say "sorry, it's not what we're looking for", but we can't feature a car because it's clean, no matter how clean it is! Sorry!
Hi Dan I just have one complaint with fast ford,i have it delivered direct from yourselves every month and for some reason i never get my freebies ie,the free poster and there was something free a month or two ago and i never got that either...Any reason for this mate or am i just unlucky
Old 07-05-2009, 08:38 PM
G950KDT

i have to admit all the cars are clean as hell when put in the mag and rightly so as its a once in a lifetime thing for some people being able to be featured dan, but has there ever been a day in day out used motor that isnt spanking clean been featured? ie: bit dirt in the engine bay etc i mean?
Old 07-05-2009, 08:40 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by dakar
Hi Dan I just have one complaint with fast ford,i have it delivered direct from yourselves every month and for some reason i never get my freebies ie,the free poster and there was something free a month or two ago and i never got that either...Any reason for this mate or am i just unlucky
If that ever happens, let me know. Sometimes overseas subs copies get redirected to the UK, and as they don't get the gifts (because of the postage costs) they end up missing! Just drop me a quick PM, or email and I'll post them out straight away!
Old 07-05-2009, 08:41 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by H19-DJA
i have to admit all the cars are clean as hell when put in the mag and rightly so as its a once in a lifetime thing for some people being able to be featured dan, but has there ever been a day in day out used motor that isnt spanking clean been featured? ie: bit dirt in the engine bay etc i mean?
Yeah, but generally when the car's more track orientated. If we featured a regular grubby car people would moan about it!
Old 07-05-2009, 08:42 PM
CRAIG HAYTER
BANNED
BANNED

i see my old 3 door is in againnow your rubbing it in
Old 07-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

It was back in 2000 before the internet and the good old telephone days and send your pics in.......

Who would do a feature on my standard Sapphire Cosworth in Moonstone with only 41,003 miles on the clock??
Old 07-05-2009, 08:46 PM
PT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by saphcosmike
It was back in 2000 before the internet and the good old telephone days and send your pics in.......

Who would do a feature on my standard Sapphire Cosworth in Moonstone with only 41,003 miles on the clock??

As has been said mate, when I had a mint low mileage esc cos Monte, performance ford did a buyers guide feature on it
Old 07-05-2009, 09:10 PM
BIG.GEOFF.H
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

People generally don't take too kindly to us mistrusting them, so it's not something I'd rush to do. I've had a hand in hundreds of feature cars over the years and generally the owners are genuine and know the score. The odd person does try it on but we often find out (there was another car/cars in this issue of PF where the owner tried to do the double, but was rumbled)

It's unfortunate in this instance as both could have been avoided!

As for the X Pack - Mk2s are too old for us, so it would be CF territory!

if you are refering to the pinks rs's i wasnt rumbled!!! i was holding out till i 100% decided which mag to have them in, as i also like both mags but i prefered pf sorry dan. sorry to see nick go top fella spoke to him loads and now pf are featuring my every day saphire cossie that isnt a track going 700bhp beast, just a stg 3 road car boring for some but a break from the now normality of ford mags. but is stlyled in my opinion nice but thats my opinion

im happy seeing any fords in any mag just seeing all the same stuff is annoying in both mags

all involved do a good job when they get the info right in the story(both mags at fault)

PLEASE DO PROOF COPYS B4 PRINT !!!!

thanks
Old 07-05-2009, 10:12 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by BIG.GEOFF.H
i pf are featuring my every day saphire cossie that isnt a track going 700bhp beast, just a stg 3 road car boring for some but a break from the now normality of ford mags.
Virtually all our cars have 'real world' power figures. There's rarely more than one or two with huge figures. PF are the same, so I'm not quite sure which Ford mags you read.

Headline grabbing power figures are great, but there aren't that many of them around, and most readers also want cars that are achievable as well as aspirational.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:18 PM
morph
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Chip
Morph, if the press office gets freebies for saying stuff is good, surely they still wouldnt say that shit stuff was good, or they would just end up with free shit stuff?

Your argument seems a little flawed
Sorry i forgot the press office only recieves good stuff so they couldn't actually give a bad review! funny that some of these mags running for 15 maybe 20 years and they never ever had any shite stuff come through they door!
i really need to start buying stuff these mags write up about! it must be good as they recieved it for free! stupid me!
Old 07-05-2009, 10:21 PM
morph

Yeah, but generally when the car's more track orientated. If we featured a regular grubby car people would moan about it!
So why don't you feature cars that are like concourse but completey standard?
or is that what you already do? seen a few nice examples of some restored cars on these forums with some amazing underneath concourse parts. would be nice to see these covering sections of mags.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:33 PM
simon170

Originally Posted by PT
As has been said mate, when I had a mint low mileage esc cos Monte, performance ford did a buyers guide feature on it
Indeed we (I) did Loved that car, looked amazing in the studio

You and your Dad looked wiped out from the trip when you got to the office Thanks again for bringing it
Old 07-05-2009, 10:39 PM
PT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by simon170
Indeed we (I) did Loved that car, looked amazing in the studio

You and your Dad looked wiped out from the trip when you got to the office Thanks again for bringing it

No prob Simon, was very nice to meet you. Apart from being shattered lol I really enjoyed the day, and was very pleased with the pics Even the police pulling us over and making us take the cover off the escort on the way back added to the day lol
Old 07-05-2009, 10:44 PM
simon170

Good to meet you to mate, yeah the pics did come out really well, I was really happy with the feature

Why did the police do that? They are a stange bunch...
Old 07-05-2009, 11:08 PM
PT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by simon170

Why did the police do that? They are a stange bunch...
Towing a covered up car late at night in a shitty old transit. Prob thought we were thieving gypo's Only ten miles from home aswell lol
Old 07-05-2009, 11:51 PM
scarabman
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

dont knock me for saying it but,i'm glad too see both mags have started featuring cars other than cosworths,I love a good cossie but I was getting fed up with all the same shiney stuff and compo mo's.I may be biased as I was featured in the latest pf mag but i'm liking what there doing by featuring different types of cars,its impossible to please all the readers all the time,its good that there are 2 mags fighting for readers as if they was only 1 mag then that extra bit of effort into the content would go.healthy competiton can only make both mags better.
As far as some of the comments made like certain mags being crap etc,these people need to be a little more constructive in there criticism and maybe the writers can get a better idea of what readers want to see in there mags.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:02 AM
Dan F

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PT
Yeah,thats what i thought,lol
BTW I buy both FF & PF and enjoy them both each month and hope the 2 mags keep going

Dan
Old 08-05-2009, 03:26 AM
gviliukas
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

What's done, it's done. I am sure both mags didn't do it deliberately. Maybe there was a lack of communication between them, maybe the car owners got greedy for fame The main thing, it won't happen again.

I think both mags are great. I wish I could buy them both every month, but I can't. I just choose the one on that month which has an nice project featured or a good technical information which will be useful for me, or some intersting articles.

Keep up the good work PF & FF
I think you are the best two mags about cool fords (if not the only ones) in Europe

Last edited by gviliukas; 08-05-2009 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:30 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by morph
So why don't you feature cars that are like concourse but completey standard?
or is that what you already do? seen a few nice examples of some restored cars on these forums with some amazing underneath concourse parts. would be nice to see these covering sections of mags.
We do if it's a buying guide, or feature all about that particular model of car. But when it comes to actual 'feature cars' we're a tuning magazine so we primarily feature tuned cars!

If you like the bufty side of things however, then you'll like an issue we've got coming up soon!!!
Old 08-05-2009, 09:43 AM
PT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

We do if it's a buying guide, or feature all about that particular model of car. But when it comes to actual 'feature cars' we're a tuning magazine so we primarily feature tuned cars!

If you like the bufty side of things however, then you'll like an issue we've got coming up soon!!!

A good bufty guide would be excellent. Testing different cleaning and polishing, products etc
Do an underneath resto on one of your cars

Quick Reply: fast ford /performance ford