General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone tell me of a supplier for Megasquirt for a V6 cosworth engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 09:34 AM
CozzyKing
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone tell me of a supplier for Megasquirt for a V6 cosworth engine

Hi everyone, I want to fit a megasquirt ecu to my sapphire with a 24 valve V6 Cosworth engine, can anyone recommend a supplier of them in the uk at all please.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

a bit off topic, but having owned a heavily modified and extremely expensive 25v saph in the past i would highly reccomend you dont go for an aftermarket ECU.

my car drove best on the standard ECU with a motorsport developments chip

after having spend probably THOUSANDS of pounds and dozens of man hours mapping my car probably gained 2% bhp increase but lost 30% driveability

the 24v v6 makes a great BUDGET engine conversion for a sierra. once you start spending money you get very little gains for massive outlays and you really should bin it for another engine
Old 04-05-2009, 05:55 PM
CozzyKing

I've got a few of these engines and my intention is to build a budget twin turbo engine to show a few of the haters around here what they are capable of.
I wouldn't bother putting a better ecu on a standard car but my sapphire is going to be anything but, cheers for your opinion though mate.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

fuck proving anytihng to anyone, do what i did and buy an M3 then laugh at the concept of ever owning a 24v saph
Old 04-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did buying the m3 prove? that you can spend even more money you don't have?? Not the greatest advice Jim. Should have stuck with the budget blaster!

As for MS try Phil Ringwood at efiextra.co.uk
Old 04-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

bedget blaster?

do you know how much the sierra cost?
Old 04-05-2009, 07:42 PM
CozzyKing

Sorry mate to be fair the bmw isn't my idea of a suitable tool to annoy people apart from the fact that everyone thinks you are a tool if you drive a bmw m3 Not saying you are a tool or anything as I do not know you so would not dream of saying such a thing.

My sapphire is to prove a point that I can build something to give the boys a run for their money and also to prove to myself and the other people around here that I do have the ability to get the job done.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:43 PM
CozzyKing

Originally Posted by Garage19
What did buying the m3 prove? that you can spend even more money you don't have?? Not the greatest advice Jim. Should have stuck with the budget blaster!

Cheers mate that's all I was asking for.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

building a car to prove a point is never a great idea

i did it, and it cost me over 30 grand

what i had at the end of the day was a 3grand replica saph that wasnt all that great anyway
Old 04-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Saaamon
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
fuck proving anytihng to anyone, do what i did and buy an M3 then laugh at the concept of ever owning a 24v saph
I use to think M3's were quick cars untill i had my volvo
Old 04-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

what i had at the end of the day was a 3grand replica saph that wasnt all that great anyway
'kin hell. Did you gold plate it or something???

Either that or you did none of it yourself and instead took it to a garage/tuner with £100 per hour labour rates and very big windows (they saw you coming).
Old 05-05-2009, 08:18 PM
CozzyKing

I do most of the work myself and a lot of my parts come free as they are made by companies looking to extend their product range so building a budget sapphire cosworth replica with a twin turbo 24 valve is pretty much on target. if you spent £30k on a sapphire cosworth replica mate to be fair you either have too much bloody money or a lack of self control. As it stands all in I reckon I owe my car roughly £300 to be even lol.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Remko GT
Regular Contributor

a bit off topic, but having owned a heavily modified and extremely expensive 25v saph in the past i would highly reccomend you dont go for an aftermarket ECU.

my car drove best on the standard ECU with a motorsport developments chip

after having spend probably THOUSANDS of pounds and dozens of man hours mapping my car probably gained 2% bhp increase but lost 30% driveability

the 24v v6 makes a great BUDGET engine conversion for a sierra. once you start spending money you get very little gains for massive outlays and you really should bin it for another engine
If I may be so bold... bollocks m8. The 24v I had running on an MegaSquirt ECU was smoother and more willing to rev than any 24v I ever heard seen and have driven. I guess the BOB cams and BOB plenum we fitted to it made a difference but the mapping is the icing on the cake. There is only so much you can do to the EEC IV. With that you'll get all sorts of problems when you start to remove things like EGR. The EEC IV mapping doesn't like low back pressure exhausts for instance.
Don't forget, the standard ECU is mapped for the autobox. Hardly ideal for a manual.
We mainly roadmapped mine by driving up and down the road and got fairly far. When we finished it on a RR it showed some serious promise. A torque and power curve to die for.
Too bad dirt in the engine wrecked it.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Taps
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Remko GT
If I may be so bold... bollocks m8.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

ok here we go again, some corrections.

1) the engine is not "mapped for the autobox" thats not how ECUs/Mapping work
2) low back pressure exhausts... again this is a mechanical change, nothing to do with the (REMAPPABLE!!!) std ECU
3) Removing EGR and other associated granada type bits - does not affect the ECU/Map operation in any way unless you wire it up so badly you put the thing into LOS

yes i 100% agree that mapping is the icing on the cake, which is why i am somewhat surprised by the fact that youre saying your DIY home mapped megasquirt had better than factory driveability on a first attempt. however perhaps you are indeed an amazing natural mapper and got it 100% first time in which case, well done.

as for power graphs and "willingness to rev" ofcourse mine made more power and was more responsive on aftermarket management when remapped, but it was NOT more driveable, 2 very different things. if it was a track car then it would have been fine, but it was not
Old 06-06-2009, 03:31 PM
BRIGSPORT
UNAUTHORISED DEVELOPMENTS

The oracle strikes again!
You spent how much on a rep?
You sir are a clown!
And i've said it once, and i'll say it again, m3's are not the be all and end all.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

ok thank you for the pointless insults, however can you offer any advise good or bad to the original poster?
Old 06-06-2009, 05:14 PM
2saffs
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

ok thank you for the pointless insults, however can you offer any advise good or bad to the original poster?
Yes, ignore anybody that replies to a thread with the words, "a bit off topic but".
Clearly not going to answer the question he is asking. 30k on a 24v??? I am lost for words
Old 06-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Taps
Part of the Furniture

Come on now people, how can you be doubting Jim who has spent many many years studying Motor technology in every form and gained every qualification under the sun on the subject, feck me Ford are on the phone everyday asking his advise on what to do with this and that so just give him some

You spent 30K on a 25V oops sorry 24V Sierra, feck me your a one man credit crunch as well as bloody stupid
Old 06-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

taps rather than slag me off with insults how about correct any technical inaccuracies i am making.

or are you just rubbishing what i am saying without anything to back it up?

i am confident that the technical information i am giving out is correct, either discredit it with FACT or shut up
Old 06-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Taps
Part of the Furniture

taps rather than slag me off with insults how about correct any technical inaccuracies i am making.

or are you just rubbishing what i am saying without anything to back it up?

i am confident that the technical information i am giving out is correct, either discredit it with FACT or shut up
He knows where to come to get anything back and its not to you m8 and thanks to tits like you that sadly ain't here. You once had a 24V, you spent 30K on it, and you ask to be taken seriously, well I'm sorry but I find both your advice and your credit card tuning fecking hilarious
Old 06-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

taps, once again. please quote me giving out a piece out some incorrect technical advise.

please, just one quote, itll make me look stupid, g'wan... do it
Old 06-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Dan1281

Originally Posted by CozzyKing
Hi everyone, I want to fit a megasquirt ecu to my sapphire with a 24 valve V6 Cosworth engine, can anyone recommend a supplier of them in the uk at all please.
you handy with a soldering iron? apparently you can pick up the kit really cheap

and what makes you want to go twin turbo and not one big turbo?
Old 07-06-2009, 03:30 PM
BRIGSPORT

Jim, your a fookin clown.
As for suppliers, try ebay.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Mark V8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 166 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Garage19

What he said

Mark
Old 07-06-2009, 05:39 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

alex f will do it as well if you ask him
Old 07-06-2009, 05:47 PM
dojj

taps, once again. please quote me giving out a piece out some incorrect technical advise.

please, just one quote, itll make me look stupid, g'wan... do it
without wanting to get into the technicalities of "you are wrong you are right", ford asked cosworth to design the engine specifcally for the auto box market, that's why it makes the power and torque in the places it makes them, for getting the power down bang on the kickdown point

with that, EVERYTHING is built around the fact that the engine is only going to be used in a granada, with an auto box, and with the weight of the car in mind

i somehow find it difficult to imagine that ford would spend so much money on getting an engine designed specifcally for their one flagship car and then think "someone, one day, may put this into a sierra so perhaps we should think about them when we spec the engine charcteristics for the 24V application"

then again, i've spent the thick end of about £36k on my sierra in the 12 years i've owned it, and it probably owes me about £20k in bits as it stands, most of that being engine and gearbox though with the remainder being brakes and suspension, so don't take my word for it
Old 07-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

dojj, the engine may be designed for autoboxes or whatever, the map on the ECU is not. the map does not care about what the enigne is attached to, you could hook the thing up to a boat propellor and it would still dunction in the exact same way, what just how engine management works.

also thanks for the clown comments, once again, CORRECT me rather than insult me please, it makes you look more inteligent
Old 07-06-2009, 08:57 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

well I have just spent all weekend ragging my 24v sierra round croft and engine wise it never missed a beat, it even did a 6.9 0-60 on my first and only go at it in the car

it's on the standard ecu and with only an argos airfilter and magnex exhaust to help it breath better
The car really is a budget track car and has done everything I have asked of it since finishing it.
as for megasquirt and some turbos, great idea go for it..

steve
Old 07-06-2009, 09:25 PM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Megga squirt on my 24v and it was easy to map, it was just twicking fuel most of the time due to the edis doing most of the work.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:30 PM
zvhrst

i run mine on emerald,
i can help if u go for emerald
Old 07-06-2009, 10:21 PM
dojj

dojj, the engine may be designed for autoboxes or whatever, the map on the ECU is not. the map does not care about what the enigne is attached to, you could hook the thing up to a boat propellor and it would still dunction in the exact same way, what just how engine management works.

also thanks for the clown comments, once again, CORRECT me rather than insult me please, it makes you look more inteligent
don't think i've called you a clown jim, but the engine WAS designed to work on an auto box, that's why the cams are the way they are, that's why the secondaries open when they do, that's why they come on cam the way they do, everything about it, and, depending on which car you get it out of, they have ecu controls for the auto box in them

the fact that you can bolt them into a different car and run them without the auto box is just the way you plug them in, the ecu still thinks it's connected to an auto box which is why you get some peole who will get it to stall at junctions, yes reset the idel etc but why should you need to if you can just bolt in an manual?

see my point?

you spent however much on your motor and got 195 brake out of it, what it's supposed to make stock, yet jonnyb's motor made another 30 brake more with downpipes and an air filter

don't really want to get into one of these technicall arguements that i won't win based on things i don't really understand and technicalities so i'll just leave it there for now
Old 07-06-2009, 10:41 PM
BRIGSPORT

inteligent?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:53 AM
rich123

hi there mate just thought i would give my info on this if you want to talk to some 1 who has done plenty of these conversions and are a bit mad go on to skogenracing web site they only use megasquirt ecu's and when they are using a e.g. a stock 2.9 12v with a holset turbo producing around 400bhp i think they know what they are talking about they are good lads and know what they are talking about and there vids are mad lol have a chat with them,its all in russion or some languge lol but there is a english forum there they've helped me out a lot with my m/s even gave me a mapp for mine
Old 08-06-2009, 10:50 AM
CozzyKing

Originally Posted by rich123
hi there mate just thought i would give my info on this if you want to talk to some 1 who has done plenty of these conversions and are a bit mad go on to skogenracing web site they only use megasquirt ecu's and when they are using a e.g. a stock 2.9 12v with a holset turbo producing around 400bhp i think they know what they are talking about they are good lads and know what they are talking about and there vids are mad lol have a chat with them,its all in russion or some languge lol but there is a english forum there they've helped me out a lot with my m/s even gave me a mapp for mine
Thanks mate, I don't like all this silly arguing as to whether someone knows what they are on about and i'm really grateful for some sensible advice about what to do and where to go for the advice.

Originally Posted by Dan1281
you handy with a soldering iron? apparently you can pick up the kit really cheap

and what makes you want to go twin turbo and not one big turbo?

I know one end of a soldering iron from the other which is a bit of a help but never really tried anything quite so in depth as assembling a full ecu circuit boards components.
As for going twin turbo rather than just one great big laggy turbo it kind of speaks for itself really.
I am going to use 2 GT28 turbos so lag will be minimal and boost and power should be great, I want the car to be powerful yet driveable so twin turbo is definitely the way to go for me. Thanks for the replying though mate.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:07 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

unless you can make manifolds, your nearly talking the price of a YB before you even start
Old 08-06-2009, 11:11 AM
zvhrst

i can get turbo headers for these with either T2 / T3 /T4 flanges for £400 the pair with lifetime warrenty
from
nortech-performance
Old 08-06-2009, 11:38 AM
cossiecrew
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by JohnnyB
I had a Megga squirt on my 24v
were talking mapping here j not one of your swinging partys but cheers for sharing
Old 08-06-2009, 11:50 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zvhrst
i can get turbo headers for these with either T2 / T3 /T4 flanges for £400 the pair with lifetime warrenty
from
nortech-performance
400 quid a pair? fuck thats a bargin,,, get a photo up!
Old 08-06-2009, 12:15 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Didn't Topboss prove how unamazing the 24v is?

Quick Reply: Can anyone tell me of a supplier for Megasquirt for a V6 cosworth engine