General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Leaving the UK

Search this Thread

Old 28-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaving the UK

I cant help but feel this country has gone to the pigs,

As some of you know i have 2 daughters, and i really dont want them growing up here, and i want to be able to give them the best childhood and opertunities i can.

I used to live in germany as a teenager, i did some uni overe there. I speak German, and i miss it to be honest,

I am seriously thinking of selling the house and just moving to Germany,
I cant help but feel that the schools there are better, and that they will have more opertunities,, speak more languages, have more after school stuff to do, i would even be able afford for them to have their own horse.

I have been doing sums, and i would be very financialy comfertable, but the thing is,. is it wrong to take away from their friends and what they know? i dont want to take them over there and for them to hate it, or later in life hate me for it..
Old 28-04-2009, 11:53 AM
ben_frst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

take them mate i now have a little boy hes 2 and want to leave but wont be ready for the next few years (g/f going to uni and im thinking about taking a different career path) but im sure if you raise them right they'll understand that you moved them for the greater good
Old 28-04-2009, 11:54 AM
ben_frst

oh and good luck
Old 28-04-2009, 12:07 PM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

move mate your kids will realise when there older why you did it for them.. Friends come and go mate.

Moving to Oz was the best thing i ever did..

Do i miss my family and friends.. truth is yes.

But then i compare my life now to how it used to be.. Im still here in Oz so what does that tell you.
Old 28-04-2009, 12:10 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

i'd love to pack up n go.....OZ,NZ or US.......ourlass says "no"....but wtf has this country got to offer for us our children etc.......(apart from healthcare....monty python scetch coming....lol)
Old 28-04-2009, 12:11 PM
.Ross.
Advanced PassionFord User

Aye ... Will be following you end of the year maybe early next year (Going the other way) I've already got everything I need for another trip ..

You will miss Family and friends but ya got to be selfish sometime's ... Grass is greener on the other side .. well maybe not in Europe but N-America ... Makes this place look like a joke ... Because it is a joke ...
Old 28-04-2009, 12:12 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not on the same scale at all... but I moved from Bedford up to Dundee when dad changed jobs, I was about 14yrs old and had lived in Bedford since I was about 4yrs old so was fairly grounded there with a big circle of friends, school and extra stuff at Rugby/Swimming clubs etc.

Yea, I missed my friends but I soon made other friends here and have kept in touch with the proper mates I had down there anyway.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 28-04-2009, 12:16 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Elvis
I have been doing sums, and i would be very financialy comfertable
As long as you are certain of that, then go for it.

People are forever moving over here thinking its easy and they can get by on barwork etc if needs be, but its not like that. Unemployment throughout Europe is high, and as an expat you are bottom on the list and finding even cash in hand, under minimum cleaning jobs are nigh on impossible, and thats everywhere.

Just be sure you have enough money put aside for at least 1/2 years unemployment
Old 28-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I know exactly where you are coming from, my sisters fella is in the Army and was stationed out in Germany for 3 years, me and the missus went out at least 4-5 times a year to see them, I love it out there.

Me and the missus only had a a conversation last week about possibly moving out there, she works for Daimler-Chrysler so can transfer no probs, me I work in Aerospace Engineering and have a very brief understanding of the language but waiting to hear back from some contacts at Rolls Royce Deutschland.

I personally will jump at the opportunity, should it happen
Old 28-04-2009, 12:47 PM
taz010671
Part of the Furniture

I'd go if I was you,i'm thinking of doing the same thing myself I've also got 2 daughters and i too am concerned about their futures.i personally was born in OZ and moved here when i was 13 with my parents(who ended up spliting after a couple of years and my Dad now lives in Thailand and we ended up staying here) and are really thinking about taking the family back there if we can afford it.
Old 28-04-2009, 01:16 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

How old are your daughters?

I agree this county is now officially SHITE.
Old 28-04-2009, 02:46 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

i know this much ,

im 27 now, and i hope to be a permenent fixture in the usa by the time im 30

i couldnt dream of going at the moment , what with family issues but i have every intention of moving there ,

this countrys fucked ,

simple as

beef
Old 28-04-2009, 02:53 PM
PT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by -beefy-
i know this much ,

im 27 now, and i hope to be a permenent fixture in the usa by the time im 30
Do you know how hard it is to get a working visa for america? Its ridiculously hard
Old 28-04-2009, 02:55 PM
2224v
BANNED
BANNED

The German economy is in a poor state these day's and I doubt if the standard of living over there will be much higher than what you're used to...every country has it's own problems, wait and see.

BUT the real question is what is up with you people whinging about what (not so) Great Britain (anymore) has come to?
Why not try to turn the tide rather than leaving?

It's all very well to moan and complain but if you turn your back on your country now you're part of the problem.
Old 28-04-2009, 03:00 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

Originally Posted by PT
Do you know how hard it is to get a working visa for america? Its ridiculously hard

hence why i need a few more years to get myself in a better position for it

ive a load of friends over there, and a good relationship had a few working j1 visas a few year bk working in summer camps ect ,

lol i even know firls willing to marry me if it helps lol

ill get there pt ,

but yeah , there tightening the strings ,

Old 28-04-2009, 03:04 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

beef can you not get back out there for the summer camps this year?
as that sort of job is made for you!!

steve
Old 28-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by the youth

steve

I did it when I was at Uni. Was great laugh!

you earn about Ł2.77 a day though!

Its not a job for a sensible adult with any kind of ambition in life!
Old 28-04-2009, 03:08 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

Originally Posted by the youth

steve

i got to caught up in playing beef almighty the last year i was there steve , burned a few bridges at that camp , threatedn to punch fuck out of one of the camp directors ,

but yeah i still have alot of links over there and with the agencies here ( 3 of my best mates work for the 2nd biggest agency )

i dont want to go this year, want to build the s2 ,

but it does give me a couple of options as to ging out there long term ,

as theres year round positions in the camps ect ,

beef
Old 28-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I hate when people go on about moving abroad as this country is fucked. How can they be so sure it is better elsewhere? They become an imigrant in someone else's country, other countries generally aren't as soft on imigrants as we are...

Elvis - go to Germany and see if your kids etc get as good medical care, schooling, social life as they do or will do here. YES this country is in a bad way but i dont think your experience of Germany when you were a teenager is something to base the rest of your life and the most important years of your kids on?

This is a GLOBAL slowdown of economic activity - not just UK, so America, Mainland Europe, India etc etc... are all struggling financially/high unemployment etc.

Best of luck to you if you think the grass is greener in Germany but i would definately recommend you go there first, at least for 2/3 weeks, not on holiday but look into employment, healthcare, education etc as much as possible before jumping in.

Just my take on it.
Old 28-04-2009, 03:38 PM
gareths09
Part of the Furniture

Moving to the US was the best thing I could have done, sure I miss my family and friends but I now have a great life style over here which I could have never had in the UK. I go back to the UK once a year and after 3 or 4 days I’m ready to go again, just don’t like what it’s turning into.
Old 28-04-2009, 03:41 PM
ben_frst

Originally Posted by -beefy-
hence why i need a few more years to get myself in a better position for it

lol i even know girls willing to marry me if it helps lol

i should be off to vegas in august will try some out for ya

seriously its hard to get there marrying a yank works my dad did it hes been the 8 years now (southern california) and loves it

i've decided today im actually gonna set the wheels in motion to get there gonna retrain to do a job that enables me to find work there i guess it means the rs will go but will get myself something better state side

im 24 and wanna be there with the girlfriend/wife kid by the time im 30 if it means me going ahead while she finishes uni i will

as for anyone thinking about leaving i would 100% recommend it and not just to the states OZ, NZ are on my list just wanna try america as my dads there

Ben
Old 28-04-2009, 03:47 PM
PT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You're astill under 30 so why not get a canadian working visa (piece of piss to get)
Old 28-04-2009, 03:54 PM
.Ross.

Originally Posted by PT
You're astill under 30 so why not get a canadian working visa (piece of piss to get)
Begg to differ mate ... It's so easy to get that I didnt get another While in the country with a job .. Red seal .. everything ..

Took 8 month to get mine back in the OIL-Coal Boom ... Havent got a chance now ... Like I said in an earlier post ... Waiting game for me .. Maybe the end of this year ... maybe the end of next year ... Tick Tock Tick Tock ..

Only people who can get The Canadian Visa's are Australian's ..
Old 28-04-2009, 03:55 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Coldo
I hate when people go on about moving abroad as this country is fucked. How can they be so sure it is better elsewhere? They become an imigrant in someone else's country, other countries generally aren't as soft on imigrants as we are...

Elvis - go to Germany and see if your kids etc get as good medical care, schooling, social life as they do or will do here. YES this country is in a bad way but i dont think your experience of Germany when you were a teenager is something to base the rest of your life and the most important years of your kids on?

This is a GLOBAL slowdown of economic activity - not just UK, so America, Mainland Europe, India etc etc... are all struggling financially/high unemployment etc.

Best of luck to you if you think the grass is greener in Germany but i would definately recommend you go there first, at least for 2/3 weeks, not on holiday but look into employment, healthcare, education etc as much as possible before jumping in.

Just my take on it.
Agree with every word of that!
Old 28-04-2009, 03:55 PM
gareths09
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by PT
I have a mate that did it, very easy process. He now lives up in Vancouver only a 4 hour road trip to go up and see him here from Seattle.
Old 28-04-2009, 04:00 PM
PT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Dark-Horse
Begg to differ mate ... It's so easy to get that I didnt get another While in the country with a job .. Red seal .. everything ..

Took 8 month to get mine back in the OIL-Coal Boom ... Havent got a chance now ... Like I said in an earlier post ... Waiting game for me .. Maybe the end of this year ... maybe the end of next year ... Tick Tock Tick Tock ..

Only people who can get The Canadian Visa's are Australian's ..
You can get a working holiday visa for Canada just as easy as you can New Zealand and OZ. I met peeps when in Toronto last year doing just that buddy.
Old 28-04-2009, 04:04 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by 2224v
The German economy is in a poor state these day's and I doubt if the standard of living over there will be much higher than what you're used to...every country has it's own problems, wait and see.

BUT the real question is what is up with you people whinging about what (not so) Great Britain (anymore) has come to?
Why not try to turn the tide rather than leaving?

It's all very well to moan and complain but if you turn your back on your country now you're part of the problem.
the only thing this cuntry is good fir is the idler's and benifits brigade, who get away with everything

but if you are a hard working person you just get shit on

i work damn hard at my job to earn the money i earn and to be able to do the things i do, yet the neighbours who have 2 disabled kids (not that i have anything against the kids) take their other 4 kids swanning off on holidays every few months, buy the latest gadgets, get their house done up for free ont he pretence that it's for their kids, when in reality they ship them of at 6 in the morning, do fuck all for the rest of the day, take them back in at 3.30 and then someone else comes in to give them baths and change their clothes, and when they need to go on holiday, they ship them ou to some place for a week while they go away and enjoy themselves, all paid for out of my taxes

the amounts of things that peole get away with, no wonder the government ministers are fighting over what they get as benifits, they know that everyone is on the gravey train and don't want to miss out

and as our glorious leader has got us into this shit (and our previous glorious leaders wife got us into even more shit with the human rights bollocks) us workers need to work till we are 160 years old in order to have enough saved up to buy a loaf of bread and matches to heat our homes with of a winter time

if my brother gets an oening in aus, i'll be over there like a rocket, although i'm currently looking at opportunties in canada, but it's a bit cold up there
Old 28-04-2009, 04:04 PM
.Ross.

Originally Posted by PT
You can get a working holiday visa for Canada just as easy as you can New Zealand and OZ. I met peeps when in Toronto last year doing just that buddy.
Ya Havent got a clue mate ... You can get working Holiday VISA's for OZ and New-Zeland Not Canada .. Been there done that ..

Easy to apply for a VISA but you need an LMO from Service Canada .. Mine got rejected .. Why do you think iam back here ..

Work Visa = Job offer + LMO .. Spoke a Friend the other day who I worked with .. Getting even worse out there.
Old 28-04-2009, 04:06 PM
gareths09
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by PT
My friend went and work in Whistler for the winter and then extended his Visa and now is working in Vancouver. I think he is now waiting on a green card much like myself.
Old 28-04-2009, 04:09 PM
.Ross.

Originally Posted by gareths09
My friend went and work in Whistler for the winter and then extended his Visa and now is working in Vancouver. I think he is now waiting on a green card much like myself.
Aye ... Resident Card's ... Where ya mate from? Could have applied for mine with-in BC but would have taken 6 month ... Just gonna wait till it picks back up ...

The Only people who could get that type of VISA where Australian's ...

Last edited by .Ross.; 28-04-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 28-04-2009, 04:22 PM
gareths09
Part of the Furniture

Aye ... Resident Card's ... Where ya mate from? Could have applied for mine with-in BC but would have taken 6 month ... Just gonna wait till it picks back up ...

He's from England. I believe that English people can get the same Visa as the Australian's.

If you ever go to Whistler I would say 80% of the people working there are either English or Australian.
Old 28-04-2009, 04:25 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

having lived in germany from 2001 and 2005 i would say go for it. but you must secure a job first. where abouts in germany are you thinking of as it's a large place with a lot of regional variations.

i hope you're not thinking of working in the automotive industry

lots of people out there on short working weeks at the moment.

if you have any questions, feel free to ask me on here or by pm

Last edited by foreigneRS; 28-04-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 28-04-2009, 04:27 PM
.Ross.

Originally Posted by gareths09
He's from England. I believe that English people can get the same Visa as the Australian's.

If you ever go to Whistler I would say 80% of the people working there are either English or Australian.
Na mate ... He must have got another type of VISA ... Working VISA maybe like I had .. I've been to Whistler loads of time's MTBing .. Never one for Ski-ing. Load's of OZies everwhere .. Spent time on the Greater mainland .. Been across most of Lower BC and Alberta ... State's as well .. Montana mainly .. Mint .. Grass is greener .

Ask em what kinda VISA hes got .. Iam intrigued
Old 28-04-2009, 04:31 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

i dont know how old your daughters are but if your going to move id reckon its best to do it when theyre young. kids adjust easier after the initial shock to the system.
Old 28-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

made intersting reading this,

we are starting the procedure for going to canada,getting sick of chasing my own money from customers.

i understand its a long & difficult procedure but has to be worth it tho.

as said before the grass may not be greener but if we dont try how will we know

D.
Old 28-04-2009, 04:40 PM
gareths09
Part of the Furniture

http://www.visabureau.com/canada/working-holiday.aspx
Old 28-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
the only thing this cuntry is good fir is the idler's and benifits brigade, who get away with everything
Agreed!!!
Originally Posted by Coldo

the economic problems will rebalance themselves in 5-10 years to a reasonable level. But thats not the long term issue here.

The long term issue is the massive breakdown of ethics and morals in our society. The total lack of self respect and respect for others etc etc etc.

Sure other european countrys have problems but no where near the same scale as here.

A lot of it, in my opinion, is to do with this governements continued intent to put the rights and needs of the individual above the rights and needs of the many (and in this case the best interests of the nation as a whole) virtually across the board with no reproach.

The whole UK is a joke. It would be funny if it wasnt for the fact we live in it and its real!! politicians blame human rights etc yet the rest of europe has the same EU policys and laws yet most of them can still find a happy balance between personal rights and needs of the country as a whole, interests of justice, preservation of cultural identity, etc etc etc. So why the fuck cant our country find that balance???

the corruption goes all the way from the top right to the bottom of this country at every level. Greed and selfishness have taken over!
Old 28-04-2009, 04:49 PM
.Ross.

Student Visa mate ... Looked into that ... I went over on a skilled VISA .. Might see if I can Blagg a student VISA ..

They must have added the UK on after I left a few year ago?? Stand corrected .

Last edited by .Ross.; 28-04-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 28-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Asturias
Part of the Furniture

Im torn between southern Spain or possibly Florida,80k buys a beauty appartment in Florida but i think spain gives more flexibility.

You just seem to work hard and get nothing in return here,the hostility is rife.
Old 28-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

As some of you know im a Elvis impersonator, and i go to germany alot to do gigs, i have had an offer for the last year from an Events management company to go over and work there,

If i go to germany, have a nice home and land, even a horse for the girls, have a couple of nice motors and money in the bank,

I am thinking about Hamburg, or Bavaria, (Bamberg mainly as its where i lived before)
i still got loads of mates over there, got the offer of a job, plus speak german,

Also my German friends with teenage kids, their kids are much much smarter than average english kids their age.. but i blame our school system..

my kids are very young, so i feel like "its now or never" (excuse the elvis pun )

Quick Reply: Leaving the UK