General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FAO Tuners, Looking for some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 20-04-2009, 08:43 PM
bigbill
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAO Tuners, Looking for some advice.

Just looking for some advice, at the moment I am working in a main dealers as a fully qualified mechanic. I am really bored of the same old standard cars rolling in and out. Ever since I was in school I knew I wanted to get into the trade to get into the tuning side of things.

Basically I am looking for advice on how to get into the tuning scene as I think it is really what I want to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am at a point where I really have to decide what I want to do with my life.

Also would there be any of you tuners out there looking for someone to work with them? I am deeply intrested in the tuning scene and being a qualified mechanic (That has a few projects of his own!) think I am very competent worker. I would just like the chance to break into it as it is the direction I want to head.

Cheers People!

Last edited by bigbill; 20-04-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 21-04-2009, 06:58 AM
bigbill
Regular Contributor

Anyone?
Old 21-04-2009, 07:23 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

first you need to tell us where you are, or if you are willing to travel

secondly, i'm not sure the tuning game is possibly not the place to be in the current economic climate, there have been a few big names that have gone over the past couple of years now, not ust in the ford scene either but some people are swamped with work for months and months
Old 21-04-2009, 07:33 AM
yappstar
BANNED
BANNED

Mate of mine set up on his front yard as a sideline, done it for years, now got his own large unit, business etc to go with it. Thats the way I'd go, by the time he started up proper he already had a customer base and was a known name, and thats just grown and grown. Same as his wage packet. Best thing about working for yourself is that you dont make anyone else any richer.

as for a job with a tuner, I would personally say forget it. They are generally speaking a small operation [in terms of numbers of staff] and from what Ive seen they [understandably] want very experienced motorsport biased people, or you're an apprentice.

Still might be worth a PM/email to all the tuners in your area to let them know, they might have a space, or be taking in more "average work" like servicing, fitting parts in the current climate.

Im not saying your no good mate, sure you will find something.

Where you from?

Last edited by yappstar; 21-04-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 22-04-2009, 07:00 AM
bigbill
Regular Contributor

Im actually living in Ireland (although I am originally from South London) but there is not alot of tuning companies here, about 3 I can think of and in my opinion they would not be in the same league as some of the big tuning companies in the UK.

But to answer your question I am willing to relocate anywhere to get a job that could push me closer to my goal.
Old 22-04-2009, 07:43 AM
johnny99
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by bigbill
Im actually living in Ireland (although I am originally from South London) but there is not alot of tuning companies here, about 3 I can think of and in my opinion they would not be in the same league as some of the big tuning companies in the UK.

But to answer your question I am willing to relocate anywhere to get a job that could push me closer to my goal.
We may not be as big or as well known, but there are a few of us that are up with the best.

John
Old 22-04-2009, 06:08 PM
bigbill
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by johnny99
We may not be as big or as well known, but there are a few of us that are up with the best.

John
Sorry if I have offended you mate, did not intend to do this! What is your company? I may have been taken the wrong way, I dont think the Irish boys are useless (not by a long way) but I just think the UK fellas have a much wider customer base giving them more experience.

Trending Topics

Old 22-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Problem here is noone really advertises as a 'tuner'. There are plenty of world class guys here if you know where to look.

If you want to set up in Ireland, you'd best be into your jap as thats all the majority of the 'sheep' want to drive.
Old 22-04-2009, 06:30 PM
bigbill
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Paul_RS
Problem here is noone really advertises as a 'tuner'. There are plenty of world class guys here if you know where to look.

If you want to set up in Ireland, you'd best be into your jap as thats all the majority of the 'sheep' want to drive.
I Know exactly what your saying. I would prefer to a bit of everything!
Old 22-04-2009, 07:55 PM
johnny99
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by bigbill
Sorry if I have offended you mate, did not intend to do this! What is your company? I may have been taken the wrong way, I dont think the Irish boys are useless (not by a long way) but I just think the UK fellas have a much wider customer base giving them more experience.
No problem, the UK boys more experience generally. There are some shite tuners here as well as ther UK. My company is Jomo Engineering in Killucan Co Westmeath, and when it comes to building a track car, I would like to think we are as good as anyone, and better than a lot. You would find it hard to locate a better equipped machine shop the Westward Engineering in Enfield, Co Meath. Martin there is a very intelligent man, and a bloody good pilot too. I also know Ian Cuddy in Dungannon, and his reputation on Evo's is one of the best around.

As for Jap only, we get a lot of different cars. We currently run an Evo and Impreza Pro Class T/A, and help my little brother in an Ibiza in the Club Class. We are currently building a VW Rado, and have a Ford Ka next in line.We have an Elise nearly finished. The variety is out there if you look for it, though I stay away from Honda's.

John

Last edited by johnny99; 22-04-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: adding more text
Old 22-04-2009, 07:59 PM
bigbill
Regular Contributor

Nice one dude! Never heard of your company, sounds good!
Old 22-04-2009, 09:54 PM
mackers
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I think I saw a sierra with a Jomo built engine in fast or performance ford a while ago???