General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

glue

Search this Thread

Old 20-04-2009, 12:22 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default glue

carrying on from another post i can't find i made, what sort of glue do i need to be able to stick my spoiler and side skirts on with?

matt mentioned a name yesterday but i can't remember what it was
the other suggestion was to use windscreen sealer as that is a known stickyness or go to ford and see how much the proper stuff was going to cost

previously i've used the likes of silkaflex but that tends to turn very very hard and lumpy and doesn't always sit flush with what you are wanting to stick together, something i wish to avoid at all costs
Old 20-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Matt Evans
Black Country RSOC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends how thick you apply it, but normally Sikaflex is man enough for the job!
Old 20-04-2009, 12:28 PM
dojj

i'm just worried about it swueezing out the side if i splodge too much on

it needs to be held on the sills and at both ends plus a bit underneath on the side skirts and even though there is a bolt hole in the spoiler to hold it in place, i'd rather not go drilling holes in the tailgate if i can avoid doing so, so big lumps of heavy non marking stuff will have to do the trick there me thinks
Old 21-04-2009, 09:12 AM
dojj

any other ideas other than silkaflex?

and no, i'm not using no more nails
Old 21-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Mark 3D

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i think you can use evo stik!!
Old 21-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Mike C
The Special One

Tigerseal
Old 21-04-2009, 09:14 AM
lead_foot
is awesome

Why not make it look awesome and rivet them on.

Trending Topics

Old 21-04-2009, 09:19 AM
dojj

Originally Posted by Mike C
Tigerseal

that's the name i was looking for

got a windscreen guy coming as well so i might see how much the tube of screen sealer is from him

i'll probably let the bodyshop guy bond it with whatever he uses, but then that means no car for an evening and getting it dropped of and so on and so forth plus more money to get it done
Old 21-04-2009, 10:00 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

As above, tigerseal will do it! I stuck the spoiler on my car with it, and its probably more solid than any part that Ford screwed together
Old 21-04-2009, 02:12 PM
dojj

they use Dinitrol 501 FC-HM
it's a polyurethane direct glazing adhesive

any good? for body kits then?
Old 22-04-2009, 11:19 AM
dojj

well, that was intresting to say the least

looks lke i'm going to have to invest in some ultra strong hands to squueze this stuff out in future, my hands are fucked his morning as i've got brueses on my palms from squeezing the cartridge gun so hard to get this stuff out

and where it stuck, nothing was getting it off, be it the screwdriver i used to break the seal or the paint as i applied it

at least i used the little bit of activator to get it to stick, but fuck me, this thing grips like a wife at the divorce courts

so, the next question is, where can i buy a stronger cartridge gun from?

not that i want to be spending money for one off of ebay that may not do the trick so any ideas?

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Professional_C...Review_5730565

this is what i'm on about, although this is the one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aluminium-Seal...1%7C240%3A1318

or is there an air powered version somewhere that will do the trick so that i can hook it p to the compressor and have done with it
Old 22-04-2009, 11:26 AM
dojj

oh well, i've bit the bullet and got me one of these, just to be on the safe side

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/EINAKP170.html

hope it works or i'll have another expensive thing to hang on the wall to look pretty

Last edited by dojj; 22-04-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 22-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

tigerseal is pretty much the same thing as sikaflex mate!!!

The trick is if u get too much on or splodges out etc, either use a cloth soaked in thinners or wearing rubber gloves wet ur finger in thinners and run it along where the excess is!! it'll allow u to 'drag' any excess from one side to the other and get it off but due to the thinners it wont stick to you\the cloth and gives a nice smooth finish!!!

On SLRs we usually use stuff called teramix which when it goes off sticks stronger than tigerseal etc!! and is alot harder but is a bitch to get off after!! PLus only comes in small tubes like u get aryldite etc in.

another trick if ur worried bout getting the excess off and want a nice uniform line/finish is get a tongue depresser (even a used lolly stick will do!!) soak it in thinners again and use that to smooth off the adhesive, drags off the excess and gives u a nice smooth finish!!!

Thats what we use on the SLR panel joins well that and the steel balls but wont go into that
Old 22-04-2009, 12:54 PM
dojj

i put some masking tape on the boot lid to see where i was going to put the glue and then put it on in different places on the spoiler and the car so i dind't have any larger lumps coming together

i did forget about putting it at the rear of the tailgate though but it's pretty much rock solid and it's only the fact that the spoiler was a little curved that's made one end just a lttle spongey

i would have much rather prefered to be able to get hold of a sheet of gule that i could cut to sie and then, with a little applicator, glue it to one side and then the other so that there was an even spread of it, but knowing where the glue splodges are on the side skirts, i'll tidy them off and then dump big piles of the stuff in the same locations and then hold it in place with possibly a bit of timber and a trolley jack to keep it in position

i may try the thinners trick if i decide that i'm worthy of attempting to glue the lttle bit that's got a little bit of a gap on one end though