General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Advice (Respray)

Search this Thread

Old 15-04-2009 | 01:30 PM
Wolvo-Olie
Part of the Furniture

Default Advice (Respray)

Hey Everyone, Hope all is well!

I now im going on about this fiesta lol, but its my first car and im buzzing....

Any way....

Ideally i would like the rub-strips removed and smoothed over, sprayed etc

I was just wondering if any one could give me a rough idea of how much i should be looking at to have the area resprayed after wards? Or maybe if any one not far from me facies doing it for beer? I dunno.

Any advice would be wicked.

Olie
Old 15-04-2009 | 01:32 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Speak to these people

http://www.thomsonlocal.com/Dream-Fi...mpanyinfo.html

Tell them a friend of Isaac recommended you
Old 15-04-2009 | 01:34 PM
yappstar
BANNED

depends on what shape it is, I cant remember if theres any holes in the doors for the strips so you could gently heat them and peel them off, then use a toffee wheel to get the glue off and go from there.

If there's holes in the doors I would say Ł200 per door to prep, weld holes, fill, prime, flat, paint, laquer, polish for a good job.

Its always hard to guess a price for paint without seeing stuff, and depends on the panel, if its got any rust etc etc.
Old 15-04-2009 | 01:35 PM
Wolvo-Olie
Part of the Furniture

Cheers mike!
Old 15-04-2009 | 01:37 PM
Wolvo-Olie
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by yappstar
depends on what shape it is, I cant remember if theres any holes in the doors for the strips so you could gently heat them and peel them off, then use a toffee wheel to get the glue off and go from there.

If there's holes in the doors I would say Ł200 per door to prep, weld holes, fill, prime, flat, paint, laquer, polish for a good job.

Its always hard to guess a price for paint without seeing stuff, and depends on the panel, if its got any rust etc etc.
Cheers for the help!

The car itself is a minter mate!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1985-Mk2-FORD-...1%7C240%3A1318

If it would bring the costs down i'll happily fill the holes myself... Just got a vision in my head and rubstrips arent part of it haha.
Old 15-04-2009 | 01:41 PM
mackers
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

To be honest mate,I`d let the pinter do all the prep work, its always an idea to do it yourself to save money but to get a really good finish it pays to let the professionals do it.
Old 15-04-2009 | 01:44 PM
yappstar
BANNED

Originally Posted by Wolvo-Olie
Cheers for the help!

The car itself is a minter mate!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1985-Mk2-FORD-...1%7C240%3A1318

If it would bring the costs down i'll happily fill the holes myself... Just got a vision in my head and rubstrips arent part of it haha.
Does look nice.
I got a mate with a mk2, hes took the bumpers off too, they do look good without strips as well
I would speak to a couple of paint places near you, let them see the car, and ask if it would be an advantage to fill holes for them. some places will do a quick "mask and blast" for cheap if you take all responsibility for the prep and thus the final finish

I did an old car of mine when my mate let me use his paint booth for a day, spent the 2 weeks running up to it prepping the car in the evenings, filling, flatting, priming, flatting again, etc etc, then masked and painted. Total cost for the whole car including buying fibreglass and filler, paint, hardener, everything, was under Ł200 and we had enough paint for another car. If you have a mate, or even a garage you could try it yourself, but it isn't easy work, and takes about 10 times longer than you think.
Old 15-04-2009 | 01:45 PM
Wolvo-Olie
Part of the Furniture

Cheers Mackers.

I guess it is better to do it that way as i dont have any experience... The prep side does sound simple though haha...

Fill it

Sand it down with a really fine sand paper

Job done.

I guess the fact i think its that simple kinda proves your point though lol

Cheers mate
Old 15-04-2009 | 01:49 PM
Wolvo-Olie
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by yappstar
Does look nice.
I got a mate with a mk2, hes took the bumpers off too, they do look good without strips as well
I would speak to a couple of paint places near you, let them see the car, and ask if it would be an advantage to fill holes for them. some places will do a quick "mask and blast" for cheap if you take all responsibility for the prep and thus the final finish

I did an old car of mine when my mate let me use his paint booth for a day, spent the 2 weeks running up to it prepping the car in the evenings, filling, flatting, priming, flatting again, etc etc, then masked and painted. Total cost for the whole car including buying fibreglass and filler, paint, hardener, everything, was under Ł200 and we had enough paint for another car. If you have a mate, or even a garage you could try it yourself, but it isn't easy work, and takes about 10 times longer than you think.

Well, i guess as its my first car it is kinda about getting the 'hands on' experience....

But i know from my experience painting bmx's that what your saying is right, the pros are pros for a reason!

Olie
Old 15-04-2009 | 01:50 PM
yappstar
BANNED

mackers makes a good point, and without experience you may balls it up.
There's no harm in having a go though, have a practice on an old door or old car at filling and painting (use a rattle can) just to see what youre up against.
Old 15-04-2009 | 01:54 PM
Wolvo-Olie
Part of the Furniture

YEah thats a good idea yapstar ... The problem is the only other car lying around is my dads Alpina haha.

It would be a shame to fuck the Fez up straight away lol
Old 15-04-2009 | 02:34 PM
notroubleclubber
Back In The RS Game!

Just out of interest,have u bought this car yet as the car on ebay is still up for auction.
Old 15-04-2009 | 02:36 PM
Wolvo-Olie
Part of the Furniture

NO ive not bought it yet, but i have been to view it and am pretty certain its going to be coming home with me saturday!

Why do you ask?
Old 15-04-2009 | 02:39 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Hello mate, lovely little motor, very clean.

As said, get a good bodyshop to do it, it is not that easy to get a good job when filling and prepping, and a paint job is all about good prep, so if it is poor, the body shop will either have to sort it, or wont want any come back on the final job.

Also, an older car like that may need the paint feathering in, as if they just paint the doors, it may not be a good match, would think they would feather into the wing and the rear quarter??

Worth keeping in mind at this point, would you consider having the car a different colour?, if they are going to be doing a reasonable amount of spraying, it may not be hugely more expensive to have the whole car painted

Just a thought.
Old 15-04-2009 | 02:39 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Why would you want to bastardise the car anyway by removing the bump strips?
Old 15-04-2009 | 02:44 PM
Wolvo-Olie
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by matts1
Hello mate, lovely little motor, very clean.

As said, get a good bodyshop to do it, it is not that easy to get a good job when filling and prepping, and a paint job is all about good prep, so if it is poor, the body shop will either have to sort it, or wont want any come back on the final job.

Also, an older car like that may need the paint feathering in, as if they just paint the doors, it may not be a good match, would think they would feather into the wing and the rear quarter??

Worth keeping in mind at this point, would you consider having the car a different colour?, if they are going to be doing a reasonable amount of spraying, it may not be hugely more expensive to have the whole car painted

Just a thought.

Cheers for the advice mate!

I was concered about these issues, yeah, and i think it will be going to a propper sparay shop! (if i get it lol)

To be honest i hate the colour so changing the colour would be on the cards, i just dont like the idea of stripping the car back to the shell so it can get painted.

I hate it when people spray a car, but when you open the bonnet you can see the original colour everywhere, so ideally i would only want the colour changing when i can afford a propper job...
Old 15-04-2009 | 02:48 PM
Wolvo-Olie
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by doesntbelong
Why would you want to bastardise the car anyway by removing the bump strips?
Cheers for the response!

I want to 'bastardise' it as i think mk2 fiestas are beautifull without rubstrips, but horrible with them!

Ive had this picture of a mk2 fiesta done by Carera Coachworks as my screensaver for months and i think it looks uber cool lol.

Just dropped on some ATS classics, Rubstrips removed, Job done!

Olie