General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Doggie people, what do you give them for treats?

Search this Thread

Old 14-04-2009, 12:13 AM
snedboy
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TrevCos
I only ever give ours either carrot and sometimes a tomato, or a bit of bread when he needs to take tablets to disguise them.

If you generally feed them human food you'll make them ill and shorten their lives, ours is a lab and they'll just eat as much as you give them, we have our dog on a very controlled diet because he has problems with all of his legs and so has to keep his weight down, but as others have said labs will just beg and look at you to try and wear you down into feeding them more and more, how many obese labs have you seen, loads I bet. It's just too much food, the wrong types of food and lack of exercise.

Certainly don't feed them salty crisps ffs, I'm sure that can contribute to causing fits in dogs.
Chrsit try having an Alaskan Malamute m8 theyre even more head strong than a lab when it comes to food!!

Good point about the crisps but it leads to a major heart attack not fits! Its like us eating a massive mountain of salt in 1 go then running about for 10mins the hearts gonna feel it big time!

I just cant believe what some people are feeding their dogs! Cruelty if you ask me tbh
Old 14-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all dogs will beg for food,not just labs. dogs are scavengers so do it by nature,even if they have a bowl of food around they will want what you have.
Old 14-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Ellie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine never begs for food and wont eat more than he fancies. Somestimes i have to encourage him to actually eat otherwise hed go all day on nothing so i put peas or some grated cheese on his dinner.
He gets a Schmacko (sp), couple of gravy bones, mini Markies, and some other mini biscuits everyday. If he eats his tea i give him a treat later on, usually a denta stick, bacon flavour 'rashers', cheesey biscuit etc etc.
We do give him stuff he shouldnt really have, but very small pieces. He likes anything but usually share a bit of toast with jam or pate, digestives dunked in tea, cheese, the middle from a malteaser, 1/2 a sweety (haribo/fruit pastilles), unfortunately he loves grapes ( i didnt know dogs shouldnt have them til recently)

He has mostly the Nature Diet or pate type dog food and Bakers dry mix every couple of days. Occasionally he has a tin of tuna for his tea. And on sundays he has roast dinner, or a piece of fish with veg and roast potatos.

Its gotta be better than cheap rubbishy food.

Last edited by Ellie; 14-04-2009 at 08:08 PM.