General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

The guy who died walking home after he was attacked by police at the g20 protest

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Seademon
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
It was 3 minutes after he was attacked that he collapsed mate, he wandered off dazed and confused from the attack and never recovered.
How is that the police killing him though? Its not is it. The heart attack killed him.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

The guy was walking away from them, minding his own business, if they felt that him not doing exactly as he was told the moment that they said it warrants this sort of violent outburst against him, then it just goes to show what an over inflated view of their own importance they have IMHO.

Imagine if that was your dad, what would you be saying then?

Oh behave, if you are going to have that attitude then the police can freely murder every person they encounter, "just in case"

Well its certainly more accurate than any of the descriptions the police were issuing recently!
You keep using the word Murdered, quite incorrectly, shame you can't see that.

In terms of him having his hands in his pocket, its CLEAR from the video he was spoken to first. With such a high tensioned enviroment the Police cannot afford to allow somebody to take liberties and regardless of wether we like it or not we have to do as instructed by the police at the time.

In the video you can see several people with their faces covered which clearly displays the climate of the crowd at the time.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Seademon
How is he murdered by the police? They pushed him over and then he walked off? Should have stopped when they were all behind him and shouting at him like anyone else would have done. The fact he had a heart attack doesnt mean to say the police killed him at all does it - he could have one at any time if he had weak ticker or wasnt very healthy.

Wouldnt be classed as murder but could be classed as man slaughter, end of the day u go up to an old person in the street and push them over and they die of a heart attack caused by u doing it thats pretty much man slaughter as despite maybe having a weak heart you caused them to have the attack at the time, which could be said about what happened here......

Obviously we dont kno what happened/was said prior to him being pushed so
Old 08-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Diseasel
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Police damned if they do anything, damned if they don't . Unreasonable force? maybe , but it was in the midst of major public disorder , and i for one would not be in the way of the riot police and dogs unless i was looking to get in there face.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:16 AM
G950KDT
Advanced PassionFord User

the push could have injured him which in turn set off the heart attack..... regardless of what caused it, that officer if found out who he is, should be suspended without pay pending an investigation until it can be verified WHY he pushed an innocent man who wasnt causing any trouble and then dies a few minutes later...... shocking state of affairs regardless of the chaos and yes it can get hectic and out of control with both sides....... the police are TRAINED to deal and think about these situations and this officer clearly didnt do so!
Old 08-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Mark_1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Serious guys, you cant blame the police for this.
When there is a riot and you wander around slowly with your hands in your pockets and the police asks you to step back and you don't, you will be pushed.
As far as i can tell the guy ignores the police.

Police pushed him, he got up on his feet and walked away, no signs of heart attack there, i would assume that the extra stress caused by this was the reason for the heart attack, but it would have come sooner or later.

Im so tired of these hippies demonstrating against everything and destroying all they can find in their streets, have had a fair bit if this in norway recently as well.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:39 AM
G950KDT

Originally Posted by Mark_1
Serious guys, you cant blame the police for this.
When there is a riot and you wander around slowly with your hands in your pockets and the police asks you to step back and you don't, you will be pushed.
As far as i can tell the guy ignores the police.

Police pushed him, he got up on his feet and walked away, no signs of heart attack there, i would assume that the extra stress caused by this was the reason for the heart attack, but it would have come sooner or later.

Im so tired of these hippies demonstrating against everything and destroying all they can find in their streets, have had a fair bit if this in norway recently as well.

i agree with the conditions its a bad place to be but the officer didnt need to act like that, im not blaming the police but that officer DID use unreasonable force on a man they could CLEARLY see wasnt a threat. as you say it could have stressed it, and im not doubting he could have had the heart attack anyway it could happen to you, me, anybody at any time.

however, the police (coming from an army background based on the same riot training) had a clear line of sight in front of them and had no reason to attack the man by pushing him to the ground, maybe restraining and pulling him out of harms way yes, but pushing him to the ground? completely out of order in compliance with their riot training.

the people who damaged the banks and protest have nothing better to do and jump on the bandwagon of peaceful protests, and its the same as always in this country with every protest that this will happen basically.

typical band wagon jumpers ruining it and over reacting to this so called "credit crunch"
Old 08-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Originally Posted by mikecozza69
Wow, some people really hating on the police!!! I just watched the video, and to be honest, it looked to me like he was purposly walking slow to get in the way of the police. Im not saying the copper was right pushing him over though. but maybe he was walking slow because he was having a jammer at that time hence the walking slow??? and the push that may have normally not been much to a healthy person was enough to cause him to fall over!

I think that it could have been he was having the start of a heart attack. it is a shame that this happened. I'm sure though that any of you lot, if you were a copper in this situation, (youve had nothing but FUCK OFF, WANKERS etc thrown at you all day, your adreniline is pumping etc... people get caught up in the moment and everyone is human) may have acted the same way if you asked a guy to hurry up and move and he was bimbling along, a little push to get him moving and bam.........

my 2 cents!!

Totally agree, it looked to me as if he was loitering about rather than passing through before the police came along, and his effort to be on his way most certainly looked minimal and unwilling.
His choice of dress that day made him look like a demonstrator even if he was not although I personally believe that he was most likely in that location for that purpose.

I fail to see how so many people can say he was not involved with the protest, with that number of people in the location you would not notice someone passing innocently, it is a obvious attempt to try to pin a sad event on the police imho

Last edited by Turbocabbie; 08-04-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:49 AM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

NOT all of them.

There are still a few good ones left, but yes the utter bastard arrogant cunt majority do spoil it for the good minority.

have you ever been in derby town centre when derby & forest are playing at pride park? a mate was pushed to the ground and hit with a batton for stepping into the road to get around someone... fucking wankers...
Old 08-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Title amended
Old 08-04-2009, 10:03 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by H19-DJA
officer DID use unreasonable force on a man they could CLEARLY see wasnt a threat. "
Disagree 100%

IF they had spoken to him and he was ignoring them, as appears to be the situation, how do they know what he has in his pockets and what he's doing?

The Police CANT afford to fuck about with a potentially massive situation like those riots, so if some silly bugger takes offence to taking his hands out of his pockets and wont communicate with the police then WTF does he expect???

As said already unless their is conclusive evidence i fail to see how the policman can be blamed for the heart attack......it could be anything.......he could have been getting over excited by the tension of being so close to the riots etc........any sensible person would have ammended their route home that day
Old 08-04-2009, 10:37 AM
G950KDT

Originally Posted by Turbocabbie
His choice of dress that day made him look like a demonstrator even if he was not although I personally believe that he was most likely in that location for that purpose.

I fail to see how so many people can say he was not involved with the protest, with that number of people in the location you would not notice someone passing innocently, it is a obvious attempt to try to pin a sad event on the police imho

sorry but i usually am dressed like him ie: casually.....were non rioters all expected to wear suits to tell them out of the rioters? :S clothing has literally nothing to do with it as far as thats concerned really, police have had the same training as i had in the forces to be able to tell the difference between protesters and toublemakers, theres a BIG difference between those two that not a lot of people can see.

maybe the man couldnt walk any faster than that because he either had a disbility or wasnt feeling at his best?

yes the heart attack could have started already, i know some people inlcuding family who have had a heart attack an hour before they collapsed! it could well have been that this was the case as well as the push causing the extra stress to him to get another one maybe....

i think the main point people are trying to make out is, it was a volitile situation from both sides, yes u get severly pissed off and want to smash someone in the face because 400 bottles and bricks are thrown at u, been through riot training myself in belfast and its all u think about it running to them and smashing the fuck out the nearest of the pikey bastards, but common sense tells you not to attack anyone who isnt a direct threat to you unless ordered to..... this police officer blatantly disregarded this rule and pushed the man from BEHIND (which added to him falling more than likely as he didnt expect it). this officer, NOT the police themselves, should be punished in EXACTLY the same way we would.

we always hear that the police ARE NOT above the law and are under the same laws, yet i doubt that this officer will get anything more than a few months suspension or a slap on the wrist and de-moted.

justice? NOT IN THIS COUNTRY!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 10:38 AM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you had listen to the police even just stopping and lifting his hands out of this pockets i am sure he would not of been pushed!As said you can not blame the police they do not know what he is up too,if i was a cooper i would prob do the same thing in that situation!!!

Remember who is to blame for all this!the police did not cause the situation,the Pratt's that can not demonstrate and have to act childish and have a riot did!!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by H19-DJA
i think the main point people are trying to make out is, it was a volitile situation from both sides, yes u get severly pissed off and want to smash someone in the face because 400 bottles and bricks are thrown at u, been through riot training myself in belfast and its all u think about it running to them and smashing the fuck out the nearest of the pikey bastards, but common sense tells you not to attack anyone who isnt a direct threat to you unless ordered to..... this police officer blatantly disregarded this rule and pushed the man from BEHIND (which added to him falling more than likely as he didnt expect it). this officer, NOT the police themselves, should be punished in EXACTLY the same way we would.

we always hear that the police ARE NOT above the law and are under the same laws, yet i doubt that this officer will get anything more than a few months suspension or a slap on the wrist and de-moted.

justice? NOT IN THIS COUNTRY!!!
Well put
Old 08-04-2009, 11:19 AM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I wonder what the CCTV cameras from the area will show, and I would be surprised if that video has started at that exact point. I would ask 3 questions.

1. What was this person doing in the Area
2. Why was this being filmed in the first place
3. Why did the guy have his hands in pockets walking as if he was drunk
Old 08-04-2009, 11:29 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyk
I wonder what the CCTV cameras from the area will show, and I would be surprised if that video has started at that exact point. I would ask 3 questions.

Who cares? Lets look closely at the fucking murdering PIG behind him!!

KILL KILL KILL

Old 08-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by tonyk

Given that it was a public street, he can be doing whatever he wants providing it is law abiding.

Because EVERYTHING gets filmed when that number of people are in one place these days!

He is welcome to have his hands in his pockets, also if he was drunk, providing he isnt being disorderly, that is also allowed and shouldnt result in him being killed by the police anyway.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:38 PM
G950KDT

regards to the KILL KILL KILL part

first clip of this comes to mind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwv61Uu1fdA
Old 08-04-2009, 12:48 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i saw it on news at ten and thought the copper was bang out of order,then i did a rewind on me sky+ and it did look like he was dragging his heels and ignoring police orders to move away.
To be fair it was only one copper who pushed him away and not the whole crew giving him a hiding,i reckon the copper who did it will be wondering how unfortunate he is for having a jay walker kick the bucket on him moments after a good shove letting him know who was in authority that day.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:37 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

he was apparently just a random bloke out and about who was going home who just happened to be int he wrong place at the wrong time

coppers are supposed to shout warnings of what will happen if you do not comply with their orders and i'm sure a member of the force will be along shrotly to tell us what's what, but going from:

"there was this bloke who'd had a heart attack and the police were being pelted by bottles and bricks when they were trying to rescue him"

to

"this bloke get's beaten up by some copper in a riot suit and then dies"

is a bit of a jump, so you have to wonder if it wasn't a web of lies from the start?

a bit more serious than lewis hamilton telling a small porkie to gain an extra place in a race to blatently telling untruth's from the get go to cover up some bloke being dead
Old 08-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Its a hard one but the copper did lose his cool
Old 08-04-2009, 02:53 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

fucking awful, no comment on the story really, at first glance though I of course agree with Chip - but who knows the full story for sure? None of us....
Old 08-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Matt Bmw3evo
Virgin

The media is notorious for always picking up bad stories and making them worse however in this case looking at the evidence, i.e the impartial video captured the evidence is fairly clear so far that the man was attacked.

The officer in question took actions and professional judgement upon himself to use that level of force to get a result. People may question what he has done however he obviously thought it nescecary at time.

Police are professionals, they are trained to deal with these situations, especially riot police.

There are 4 things to point out in this video.

1) it is not conclusive that the man died of a heart attack due to attack. However after the death has been investigated further evidence will be sought. Speculation is just that for now.

2) What was said to the man prior to his attack?

3) why didnt the other officers help the man, what was the man saying to the police afterwards?

4) why did the officer decide to strike him, what were his motives from the evidence availabl. In my eyes it is seen as unprofessional and a gross misconduct. The officer in question should loose his job at least. that is clear in the evidence.

There is much un-answered so hard to pass full judgement until more evidence it available IMO.

I work on Moorgate and for most part the demonstrations were civilised and organised.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:21 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

someone explain to me as im abit thick, but wether the guy was part of it or not he had his back to the police and was walking away and they needed to use force why?
Old 08-04-2009, 04:58 PM
tejy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

cops are wankerrs
Old 08-04-2009, 05:00 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by danneth
someone explain to me as im abit thick, but wether the guy was part of it or not he had his back to the police and was walking away and they needed to use force why?
As others have stated.. the police would most probably have been telling him to move off, he was diliberately dragging his heels, he kept his hands in his pockets (the police would have ordered him to remove his hands from his pockets) thus insinuating he was concealing a weapon. He knew exactly what he was doing IMO.

People just love to jump on the bandwagon, but there's 2 sides to every story and just by his body language you can see he's trying to be a pain. If he's ignored orders to remove his hands from his pockets to show he is without a weapon then I'm not suprised at them pushing him away.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:14 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

im suspicious. why would an innocent bystander minding his own business walk directly between the line of police with barking dogs and the protesters in a tense stand off situation? surely someone not involved would have walked around and kept well back? ive been in my fair share of similar situations at the football so know exactly how the police over react but if your not involved you'd stay well clear.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Mark_1

when two dogs are barking around your legs and 15police officers stand around you shouting to move away, you dont stroll along with your hands in your pockets, this is clearly to provoce the police.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Chip

when two dogs are barking around your legs and 15police officers stand around you shouting to move away, you dont stroll along with your hands in your pockets, this is clearly to provoce the police.
I occasionally have people try and provoke me, a recent roadrage incident for example that I mentioned on here.

However, someone attempting to provoke me doesnt give me the excuse to use violence against them when they have their back to me.

I assume that the police officer knows enough about the law to realise he also isnt allowed to just violently assualt someone cause he is provoked?

So wether the man was goading them or not, doesnt change the criminal nature of the assualt.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:49 PM
PeterD
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Just on the news, 2nd autopsy ordered for criminal inquiry.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Kris_23

Used to buy my paper off the fella every night.

shocking to be honest
Old 08-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Mark_1

I occasionally have people try and provoke me, a recent roadrage incident for example that I mentioned on here.

However, someone attempting to provoke me doesnt give me the excuse to use violence against them when they have their back to me.

I assume that the police officer knows enough about the law to realise he also isnt allowed to just violently assualt someone cause he is provoked?

So wether the man was goading them or not, doesnt change the criminal nature of the assualt.
so you think every officer that hits someone with a club in a riot should be prosecuted, and every k9 officer that lets his dog attack a hostile person, and every officer that breaks a suspects arm under arrest should be put to jail?
Every situation demand different use of force, and when 15coppers stand against 500 rioting people you can not give people that dont listen a gentle touch.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:52 PM
B16JUS

if someone isnt doing as asked by ther police then they should be arrested not beaten !
Old 08-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Mark_1

Originally Posted by B16JUS
if someone isnt doing as asked by ther police then they should be arrested not beaten !
better start building jails then...
Old 08-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Chip

so you think every officer that hits someone with a club in a riot should be prosecuted, and every k9 officer that lets his dog attack a hostile person, and every officer that breaks a suspects arm under arrest should be put to jail?
You think that was a riot at that moment in time do you?

Nonsense.

It was a situation that you are welcome to argue had the potential to turn into a riot, but it was clearly not a riot at the time.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:23 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

shocking the amount of people who think "in a riot police can push you over"

didn't look like a riot at the time, im sure they could have moved him along without the filth putting all his force behind a violent shove from behind!

i'll remember this from now tho, when someone doesn't do what i say i'll just come flying from behind with a rugby tackle!
Old 08-04-2009, 06:33 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

thats common practice by the police in situations like this. it will happen dozens of times in stand offs.the police wont ask you to move politely because if your in the middle of it your the problem your not an innocent bystander.and when it does happen the police will stick together and not help. its just unfortunate that the guy happened to have a heart attack and die.
the police will act with force to prevent it turning into a riot.
if that shocks you you must have had a sheltered upbringing.

Last edited by fuzzy; 08-04-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Chip

Fuzzy, the police "sticking together" is one thing, but lieing about it together is another entirely.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:50 PM
ben_frst

the guy was not just walkin home by the looks of it and was obstructing the police who where trying to prevent any type of riot situation however thats a pretty hard shove to give someone whos expecting it let alone an old guy from behind after a kneed strike

so just to recap the guys a d**k for going near the protest and obstructing the cops

and all coppers are bast**ds who can do what they like when they like with minimal or no charge

might sign up, already threaterning behavior on my CV
Old 08-04-2009, 06:54 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

for sure but theres not many who will want to be the one grassing on another officer.
the act itself ive seen many a time at the football and been on the receiving end of worse . its the coppers bad luck that the guy happend to have a heart attack and die.
to me the guy that died looked like he was acting in a manner to goad the coppers . you wouldnt walk there if you were an innocent bystander on his way home. if you put yourself within striking distance you will get battoned. its hit first ask questions later. thats just how it is and if you dont like it you dont get in the way.

Quick Reply: The guy who died walking home after he was attacked by police at the g20 protest