General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Xmas drink driving,mates been done.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 07:56 PM
warleydaddy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xmas drink driving,mates been done.....

Now before i say ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DONT CONDONE DRINK DRIVING AT ALL,AND THINK PEOPLE THAT DO IT ARE FUCKIN SCUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But a VERY good friend of mine has been done,after going out for a MEAL and having 2PINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

The guys 16st,and has ALWAYS been able to handle his drink....

Aparentley the police has a "ZERO TOLORANCE" over xmas,and if theres even a WIFF of alcohol on you,and even if the gauge can pick up ANYTHING its bye bye licence!!!!!

Feel soooo sorry 4 him,as il hold my hands up ans say,yeh ive had a pint and drove before,but my liecence is my life,and i wudnt do ANYTHING that would jepordise it!!

Take care peeps....

Pete....
Old 02-12-2004, 07:58 PM
tonypastie
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I personally think the only way you are safe is NOT to do it !!!!

but he has had bad lucky
Old 02-12-2004, 07:58 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sure? I didnt think its any different, over the limit is over the limit, the limit isnt lower...
Old 02-12-2004, 07:59 PM
warleydaddy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

tonypastie,
the only way you are safe is NOT to do it !!!!
100% agree....

Pete...
Old 02-12-2004, 08:00 PM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default Re: Xmas drink driving,mates been done.....

Originally Posted by warleydaddy
Aparentley the police has a "ZERO TOLORANCE" over xmas,and if theres even a WIFF of alcohol on you,and even if the gauge can pick up ANYTHING its bye bye licence!!!!!
It's got nothing to do with zero tolerance

Alcohol in the body can be measured in the breath, blood or urine. A driver will be found guilty of drink-driving if he or she has more than:

35 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath.
80 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood.
107 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of urine.

Exceed these limits get done, simple as.

Unfortunately your mate's found out the hard way
Old 02-12-2004, 08:01 PM
warleydaddy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Itsmeagain,
You sure? I didnt think its any different, over the limit is over the limit, the limit isnt lower...

It came up on the breat tester that he`d had a drink.Actually said that he wasnt over, but as i said the police adopted a ZERO TOLORANCE over xmas, so thats why he`s been done!!!!

Pete...
Old 02-12-2004, 08:03 PM
Jod'sRS2K
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

my mate was 1 unit over the limit after drinkin wine wiv a meal. got banned for 9 months.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:05 PM
extra14
Regular Contributor

You will only get done if you exceed the limits!
The police cannot change this!
Something is not right!
Old 02-12-2004, 08:06 PM
warleydaddy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well to be 110% honest with you,thats what i thought?!?!?!?!

But he`s DEVISTATED thats he`s lost he, and i know he wudnt lie to me?!?

But waht can be done?!? Cant piss test him now, was 4days ago!!!

Pete
Old 02-12-2004, 08:09 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

You sure hes lot giving it a bit of billy lair as he feels ashamed of what hes done?

Maybe he did only have 2, but was unlucky n slightly over, i dunno.

Im 99% sure the limit for being done is still the limit tho
Old 02-12-2004, 08:09 PM
Jod'sRS2K
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

i think it all depends on the coppa that stops ya really,
Old 02-12-2004, 08:11 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

Hes lying to you then!

If he exceeded the breath test hes guilty. If he JUST fails it they HAVE to take a blood test to make sure.

So ask him if they took blood too? If not he failed it by a bit... or hes a lier!
Old 02-12-2004, 08:12 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well he has to take a proper test at the station, the road side one is a test

i passed one the morning after and tbh i was fookign wrecked, was proper shtting it too, i had half a pack of chewing gum ijn me mouth and was taking tio the copper in the wind as i could smell the beer from the 6 hours before, was only driving a a 10 mins walk tbh, since then i always walk , so you could say ive learnt

never drink and drive now tbh, ill have 4 halfs over a few hours and wait a hour before i drive home

now not saying im an angel and alot of my family have been done for it (a few have been a few times too )

but i think he might have been mistaken
Old 02-12-2004, 08:13 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

That zero tollerance thing is gash too...

Law is the law no matter what time of the year it is.
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The limit is the law and cannot be dropped or raised. He's talking BS or has a very low thresh hold to alcohol.
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It doesn't have to be a blood test but you fail the roadside test they do have to take you back to the cop shop for a further breath, urine or blood test.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:14 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

He will have been taken to the police station and then breath tested on the more accurate machine with print out. this is what determines if you are over the limit not the roadside test.
What has happened to your m8 is that during the roadside test it will have gone amber(meaning alcohol present but not enough to warrant arrest(only a red light is)) They will have had zero tolarance on this and took him in, the big machine then told the full story.
he would probably have got away with it any other time of the year(not that I am condoning it)
hope he/everbody learns from it.
steve
Old 02-12-2004, 08:15 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

they can make it more harsh though if ya say ya tired ect though, remember a copper warning me when i had a breath test a few years ago and i has shandys as i felt tired, didnt wanna drink as not feeling well , he otld me next time dont state that as they could have done me for being tired , was too tired to pay attention though tbh, still aint got a clue what he was going onabout
Old 02-12-2004, 08:16 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

Yep down our way the big scary machine is the LION Intoxiliser!
Old 02-12-2004, 08:18 PM
phil4x4saph
Advanced PassionFord User

The police (even though they'd like to) cant change the law cos they feel like it.

Imagine if they could!!
They could nick you for doing 20mph and say "We made the limit 15mph this week cos it's school holidays"

Something is not right about this story.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:18 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by the youth
He will have been taken to the police station and then breath tested on the more accurate machine with print out. this is what determines if you are over the limit not the roadside test.
What has happened to your m8 is that during the roadside test it will have gone amber(meaning alcohol present but not enough to warrant arrest(only a red light is)) They will have had zero tolarance on this and took him in, the big machine then told the full story.
he would probably have got away with it any other time of the year(not that I am condoning it)
hope he/everbody learns from it.
steve
that makes perfect sence as when i blew in it the fooker when amber straight away then the copper was waiting for a fooking life time and he saiod to me its gona go red i can tell

when it never i felt like i woudl the world cup, then when i got home i was worried as i was deffo over the limit , imagine all the others that get away with it

but as i stated, ive learnt

best feeling when it ya pass, imagine only being able to use the bus
Old 02-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ok just recently my dad got arrested and taken in

legal limit is 35 but in the west midlands area they aparently give some leway and allow up to and including 39 to give the benefit of the doubt.

He had 3 blows in the cop shop- (normally 2 max but he was a bit out of breath as he wasn;t well) first came back as 49- second was 44- they discounted it due to the above and the third was 39. I was sat in the police foyee and the copper said they take the lowest reading and that he was very lucky. NO SHIT!!!!

I think they were extremly leniant on him to be honest but thats another story and he has learnt his lesson- so far for the last 3 months I have been his Taxi to the Pub where possible and/or he uses the bus and sometimes even walks the 3 miles to where he drinks.
Also if he is driving he comes home after 2 and thats that.

I say fair play to him for it... no doubt not everyone will.

J
Old 02-12-2004, 08:34 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Should'nt drink & drive cos it spills everywhere

No seriously, as posted above 'JUST DONT DO IT'! If your gonna have a drink dont drive - simple!
Old 02-12-2004, 08:35 PM
SeanT
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

My bro works at a Ford dealership. He tried out the roadside breathalyser left in the police van he was repairing at the time, following all the right instructions.

He had driven to work that morning, and not driven for over 24 hours.

He was over the limit

I have stopped voluntarily at a checkpoint, 100% confident after drinking two cans of lager an hour earlier, passed with flying colours - copper said "it doesn't reckon you've been drinking at all" !!!!!

Don't try it after a couple of Stellas though
Old 02-12-2004, 09:06 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

all depends on what you drink!!

the limit is set by 1 pint of normal strength ber (3.4% max) and ost beers/lagers these days are wel beyond!

1 pint of stella and you are about 2.5 times OVER the limit! (5.2% = 2.3 units iirc)

dunno if you all read the thread about my mate buying that vectra V6?? well, the guy who sold it got don for drink driving, he was 4.6 units roadside, and 4.0 at the station, if he was3.9 he would have walkd scott free (copper said) and he had just split with his missus, had a couple of beers when she told him to fook off, hence why he drove.

very unlucky situations to be in

but, if your mate is telling the truth, the cops cannot make the limit lower (zero tolleeance bollox) it HAS to be a government issue!

did tony flair say so???????????

doubt it!
Old 02-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

yeah that would be unluky, get tugged by tony blair
Old 02-12-2004, 09:20 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

well, not if youe cherry....
Old 02-12-2004, 09:27 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Not being nasty but thought everyone knew that it was Zero Tolerance at Xmas, even if its not and the rumours going round, what a risk to take!
Old 02-12-2004, 09:29 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Dan
Not being nasty but thought everyone knew that it was Zero Tolerance at Xmas, even if its not and the rumours going round, what a risk to take!
think he knows that now mate, im sure shouting how could ya be so stupid aint helped
Old 02-12-2004, 09:35 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

zero tollerance my ass

the law is the law

supposedly..........

i had a crash in 2000, now, i had drank 2 pints of stella, both by 1:30pm, and drove home at 4:30pm

the car lost traction as it had new tyres, and i slid accross a road in mid september with leaves etc on the road, at a set of traffic lights, the cops breatalised me at around 5 pm, and it shot up to red, then came down to orange, the said the never seen that before, but as it wasnt red, tey couldnt do shit
Old 03-12-2004, 07:04 AM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i was told wagon drivers zero car drivers normal
computer sezz noooo but stiil think ur allowed 1.5 units
wot is 2 pints of normal lager or 1 pint stella
stella driving ..if you do get caught..taken back the
station "i dont condon this" ask for a doc blood test
it can take up to 1 hour for the doc to turn up in the police
station..if your borderline and like needles ..may work..
JUST RING A TAXI NOT WORTH IT ..YOUR JOB ..
Old 03-12-2004, 07:09 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

Over here they have zero tolerance periods such as round Christmas for Victoria (and maybe other states) The radio stations just advertise it in the week before. They also have "double demerit weekends" which are usually bank holidays. As you start with 12 points here and lose them so opposite to the UK. So if you got caught for a normal 3 point offence that becomes a 6 pointer for that weekend.

Could be something similar there or certain police forces.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:53 AM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What shings posted is true, the law says the minimum is 36, most polica forces will allow 38 for benefit of doubt and inaccuracy of machine. Once you fail a roadside test you are taken to the station where they will take 2 samples of breath from you on a lion intox machine.

They use the lowest 2 samples they take, if your sample falls within a certain amount of the score: say u scored 41, you have the right to request a blood test, this is performed by a doctor on call out so could be 20 minutes before he arrives, longer if your lucky. The police must always use the lolwest sample available, always take the blood test if offered, if u are higher it dont matter but it just may be lower and save you.

Now my firm belief and actually being in the courts quite a lot and watching people get done for drink driving, the law is out of date on this and needs updating. This is my findings:

A 27 yr old man was pulled over for exceeding the speed limit iwhilst talking on a mobile phone. The police advised the driver that he was required to provide a breath sample. The driver fully co-operated and failed the test. He was taken to springfield road police station where he was given a further test using the lion intoxiliser and the sample recorded was 52.

The magisrtate then asked the driver if he ha anything he wished to add? The driver said" Your worship, I sincerely appologise for what has happened, this was an out of character experience for me. This has brought shame to myself and my family and i sincerely regret this matter and wish to accept my punishment and move on"

The magistrate thanked the driver for his honesty and said the minimum she must issue is a 12 month ban, he got Ł250 fine and 12 months.

The second situation, very next case infact was very similar to what warley daddy posted, the only difference was this person had a solicitor present. Had a 44 score on the machine. End result: Ł600 and 12 month ban

Can anyone here see the justice varying levels of performance and punishment? A lot condemm on the drink driver case but just sometimes there is mitigating circumstances which some of you will one day find yourselves in. Example anyone got teenage children? This was from a case aswell, 14yr old girl was beaten up by 5 teenage youths, she phoned from a call box to her father who was at home watching a champions league match with his brother, both had a few cans of beer.

They drove straight to the area in question and where taking the girl to hospital when stopped by the police performing a roadside check, the copper smelt drink from the car and asked for a specimen, needless to say the people explained the situation, the brother was permitted to take the girl to hospital whilst the driver remained for a specimen, he lit the red light and was taken to the station, scored 42, didnt know to ask for a bloodtest or anything like that, just wanted to get to the hospital as quick as possible. Went to court, got 12 month ban and wait for it Ł800 fine.

Obviously excessive cases get punished harder with a bigger fine but still get mainly the 12 month ban.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:05 AM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

whos the shings SORRY ive mates 2 in county cork ..1 in dublin
the laws your area ..or uk wide..thought they where the same
in uk area
Old 03-12-2004, 08:13 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Pete, sorry not read any of the responses but your mate is talking crap. The law is the law... if he failed, he failed. Nothing to do with Xmas or anything like that.

I hear you are staying around my house tonight mate, are you gonna hit the bars and try and get some Essex action jackson?
Old 03-12-2004, 08:18 AM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Bad company, the law here in Northern Ireland follows the Enlgish legal system to a degree. The south of ireland, ie cork doesnt comply to English law, however it does follow Eurpopean law.

Shings posted a few comments above, was just to save me typing it all again. We operate a scheme at xmas over here called project viper, what it means by zero tolerance is: There is a roadside check point, where they check your insurance, mot, speed obviously, tyres and breathilise you, no excpetions to the rule. If you are caught its court proceeding/charges pressed no exceptions hence zero tolerance.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:37 AM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The way I view my licence is, if Im driving I wont drink a single drop.
I also wont drink if I know ive got to drive the next day either.
I value my licence 1000000% more than any drink!!
Was your mates licence really worth risking for 2 poxy pints?! He knew he had to drive home and took the risk. So as gutted as he may be, he can only blame himself.
IMO anytime you drink (even a small amount) you risk a chance of being done for D&D.
All this bollocks about using being able to handle drink is utter crap!
As he has now found out.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:49 AM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

i agree ive been pulled after afternoon drinking gone to work 1am
smelling of beer been pulled tested..clear..but its my job

if you drive
forklifts
cranes
or plant Machinery
its now a ban for all you tickets
Old 03-12-2004, 09:10 AM
warleydaddy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

PEOPLE................

I agree,with EVERYTHING your al saying,cause i find it a little hard to belive too..

But at the end of the day,its happened now.. And i feel really sorry for him,but as youve all said LAW IS LAW!!!!!

So im going to REALLY confront him about it,cause if he`s lied to me i aint going to be happy!!!

And yes Porkie i am stoping in 1 of the wings of your mansion tonight!!

Not sure where or what were doing later,are you coming to you know what,and out after????

Pete....