General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Motorbkes , Danger discuss

Search this Thread

Old 25-03-2009 | 10:13 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Default Motorbkes , Danger discuss

Thinking of paul godzilla had me thinking.

On the 19/03/1998 i myself was pillion on my mates motorbike we hit a car suspect about 80 mph cant be too sure.
I suffered broken pelvis, de gloved right hip, de gloved ankle,broken right leg , broken collar bone , boken left arm & shattered left elbow with loads of internal injurys , i had a colostomy bag as well for a year n half due to a perineum wound(ripped right round my leg to my bum.Very lucky to be alive & was in hospital for just over 6 months in total had to learn to walk again.

Anyway on a brighter note im ok now (touch wood) last thursday was 11 years scince back at work still get a bit sore & cant run but walk fine.

But all my mates i think 9 of them now have all just sat there bike test bought R6's , gsx'r 600's ect.Then to top it off my sisters fiance (sp)has just passed his test too & buying a ninja.

Im genuinley worried sick for them then reading about paul its making me worse.

Rant over
Old 25-03-2009 | 10:19 AM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If bikes were not invented until today they would never be allowed.

I'm really not a fan
Old 25-03-2009 | 10:20 AM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Statistically, it is more dangerous to ride a horse than it is to ride a motorbike.
Old 25-03-2009 | 10:24 AM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Maria, I'd like to see the ordinary everyday bike statistics taken out of that, and only the big bikes compared. I bet that's much higher
Old 25-03-2009 | 10:30 AM
alan12112
Focus St mk2 310 bhp :D

I think they are very dangerous of course but anyone who gets onto them must be aware of the dangers surely?

I bet you thought about the dangers Carlo when you got on that Bike 11.5 years ago

It's one of those things - you subsitute safety for speed which I think is a very bad idea!!
Old 25-03-2009 | 10:41 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

I was 18 then now 29 , thing is i know wht my family went through for just over 4 years untill i was independant again.When i was in intensive care the first month must have been hell for them not for me as i cant remember.
With my sisters man passing his test everybody in my family are on edge as they never want to go through that again.
Old 25-03-2009 | 10:43 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

I didnt think of the dangers tho thats the thing & when your behind the wheel , or bike you get carried away esp when there are a few of yous egging each other on.
Old 25-03-2009 | 10:44 AM
Seademon
Regular Contributor

Everything has its element of danger - you have to respect what your riding and the consequenses of what can happen if you dont. The bikes only going to go as fast as the rider makes it go but the speed/noise/rush is addictive! This time of year though the riders that put their bikes away for the winter are starting to come out again & just think they can pick up where they left off - on my bike forums I've seen more RIP posts in the last 2 weeks then I did over the whole of winter.

People need to ride within their limits & people in cars need to check their mirrors before they change lane - thats worst thing I face on my bike everyday, people not looking.
Old 25-03-2009 | 10:45 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Maria.
Statistically, it is more dangerous to ride a horse than it is to ride a motorbike.
Maria if there was as many horses on the road as bikes im sure that would be different & we all know even the 600 bikes now are rockets making ppl like my mates passing their test more vulnerable.
Old 25-03-2009 | 10:49 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

putting your trousers on in the morning is dangerous
Old 25-03-2009 | 10:54 AM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

when i used to ride bikes on the road i always rode with the thought that every car wanted to take me out, that kept me ready for people who made stupid moves. I remember years ago i knew loads of people going round a que of cars only to crash into the first one as it was turning right....
Old 25-03-2009 | 11:01 AM
ANDYRACER
The more turbos,more fun!

The worring thing is that you can be the most talented rider in the world, and all it takes is one knob in a car to not see you and thats it.
Old 25-03-2009 | 11:03 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

I dont like sportsbikes these days, I am a bit of a nutter on a bike and only enjoy them if Im riding flat out, and the problem with modern sportsbikes is that flat out they are faster than my reactions times are with regards to people pulling out on me etc.

Bikes are great if you respect them, but sadly Ive never learnt to do that, so have just banned myself from riding them instead, as I know once I get on one I'll be fucking stupid with it

Plus as Andy says, it only takes one other idiot to make a mistake even if you are respecting them, and its STILL dangerous even to a good rider.
Old 25-03-2009 | 11:05 AM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

My personal opinion of bikes is, I dont like them !

I had 2 babysitter's when I was a kid, both of them into their road and trials bikes in a big way, so I grew up around bikes and used to love being on the back of one, and messing about in one of our feilds on my bro's trials bike.

But back in 2004 I saw a pillion passenger flung through the air and land on a kerb, when I walked over to where he had landed it was legs in all kinds of wrong positions and a pool of black blood, will never forget it. it is just stuck in my head, so it kinda put me off bikes.
Old 25-03-2009 | 11:06 AM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I had an R6 bought new for a year then traded it for a used R1.

I have to say they are scary machines, but only as dangerous as how you ride them.

The biggest danger on the road is other road users. The amount of cars that DID actually see me then just pull straight out was unreal.
Old 25-03-2009 | 11:06 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have considered getting a bike, but i haven't as i know i'd have an accident or get banned within a week. Obviously it depends how you look at it, i.e. if your careful you could still get hit by a car as bikes are smaller and hence some people don't see them, or the classic case of look but don't see as they accelerate so fast that they are simply not there when you do look, then by the time you move they are there!
(I don't know how many times I've pulled out to overtake a line of cars in my cossie and someone infront of me has pulled out aswell, this has NEVER happened in any other car) . Also, if you look at it from a risk assessment point of view, you have less wheels on the road=less surface area=more chance of you making a c*nt of it very quickly, and then there is the fact you have no protection at all compared to being inside a car.
I realise these points are obvious to some of you, but some people just don't "get it" and well the result is very unfortunate.
Old 25-03-2009 | 11:10 AM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Cossie Helen
My personal opinion of bikes is, I dont like them !

I had 2 babysitter's when I was a kid, both of them into their road and trials bikes in a big way, so I grew up around bikes and used to love being on the back of one, and messing about in one of our feilds on my bro's trials bike.

But back in 2004 I saw a pillion passenger flung through the air and land on a kerb, when I walked over to where he had landed it was legs in all kinds of wrong positions and a pool of black blood, will never forget it. it is just stuck in my head, so it kinda put me off bikes.
I saw a bad one also happen right in front of me when I was only about 8 years old. I was on the school field, playing next to the perimeter fence which was parallel with the main road. A bike came along and lost it, with the noise of the screech etc. we looked and watched him come off and he hit a lamp post dead on.

Same pictures, legs where they were not supposed to be and a pool of thick black blood. Ambulance was not in a hurry and left somewhat 45 minutes later with no blue lights on.
Old 25-03-2009 | 11:11 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

It just seems these days you hardly hear anyone going down the road little bit of gravel rash most stories are horror stories.
I love them & if i knew i would be ok i would have one in my garage but i aint going through that again as said above you could be the best rider in the world it just takes one little mistake from you or some carless cunt
Old 25-03-2009 | 11:19 AM
Diamonds.
BANNED

Originally Posted by GUZZLER
when i used to ride bikes on the road i always rode with the thought that every car wanted to take me out, that kept me ready for people who made stupid moves. I remember years ago i knew loads of people going round a que of cars only to crash into the first one as it was turning right....
bingo!

thing is you could be the best rider in the world....only take one donkey to pull out turn whatever and your fucked. yes you can be in a car and be fucked. but you got a better chance of being strapped in and something around u. bikes are fun and im sure its a great rush to go from 0-xxx but dont take much to have an off. i like bikes but id rather go offroad with one and be my fault
Old 25-03-2009 | 11:49 AM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by saphcosmike
I saw a bad one also happen right in front of me when I was only about 8 years old. I was on the school field, playing next to the perimeter fence which was parallel with the main road. A bike came along and lost it, with the noise of the screech etc. we looked and watched him come off and he hit a lamp post dead on.

Same pictures, legs where they were not supposed to be and a pool of thick black blood. Ambulance was not in a hurry and left somewhat 45 minutes later with no blue lights on.

It happened up at Spiller's in Newcastle the accident i'm talking about.

The ambulance took ages to get there too, well thats what it seemed, and the kid died on the way to hospital. never forget the way the scraped him up off the tarmac and this lifeless body was bundled into the ambulance.
Old 25-03-2009 | 11:57 AM
NEIL A
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Im not so sure on banding it as all bikes are dangerous but i do think that after passing your test you should be limmited to under 400cc for atleast the first 2 years. 3 of my mates that have never been into bikes have just went through there tests and got 600's as there first bikes . Alot of my other friends have raced motorcross since they were very young and all decided not to do there tests, as since they were young it has been the case of when you get on a bike go as fast as possible.
Old 25-03-2009 | 12:01 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Carlo who was at fault in your accident if you don't mind?

I ride as some people will know. You cant let if's and but's run your life! As Nick says, it's dangerous putting your trousers on in the morning!

Originally Posted by rog
IAlso, if you look at it from a risk assessment point of view,
fucking risk assessment? how boring do you sound?!
Old 25-03-2009 | 12:04 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

"I remember years ago i knew loads of people going round a que of cars only to crash into the first one as it was turning right...."

"thing is you could be the best rider in the world....only take one donkey to pull out turn whatever and your fucked."

Surely that is the fault of the biker? the car was turning right and the bikers are coming down the outside on a single lane road over taking a line of cars?

IMO, many accident on bikes are caused by excess speed or acceleration ability and taking chances, and forgetting that a bike offers NO body protection should you hit something.

My cousin died a few years back, was topping 80mph on country road overtaking on a bend, hit a car head on - DEAD

Other mate leathers it up a street, car back out of a drive and mate hits the brakes, front end goes and slides under the car - 3 fractures in his neck

Not all bikers are bad but the majority I come across are aggressive, trying to bully their way into a position, riding way to fast - basically acting like the road is their playground.

If you ride sensibly then you have a lot less to fear, yes someone may pull out of a side road or something, but at normal speed limits you have more time to react and the impact is less likely to be fatal.
Old 25-03-2009 | 12:07 PM
cossiecrew
PassionFord Post Whore!!

dangerous as fuck i sold up before i ended up being a statistic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9bhNWSWXb0
Old 25-03-2009 | 12:10 PM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Lambchop

fucking risk assessment? how boring do you sound?!
Lol, you must see my point though, an accident on a biike is far more likely to end up with more serious injuries, and if you go a bit quick round a corner in a car, you'll most likely understeer a bit and get it back, a bike you won't have the same luxury. The point I'm trying to make is that alot of people don't seem to think like that, they just think it's a bike, i can drive it nae bother..... (Lol especially on Aberdeens finest pothole ridden roads)
Old 25-03-2009 | 12:14 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

The guy who was driving the bike was at fault he overtook 3 cars & hit a car head on, i had never been on the bike with him before first time on the back of a bike on the road.
Old 25-03-2009 | 12:18 PM
stevenebm
post whore

your 29 now carlofuck we are getting old.always knew you were in the accident but never knew you had so many injurys.so lucky to still be here.agree with the above that people should only be allowed up to a certain cc for a few years or that after passing there test as to be honest if i passed my bike test id go out and get atleast a 600cc.
Old 25-03-2009 | 12:19 PM
Kamike
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Bike are great fun, you dont have to hoon around on the back wheel doing 100 mph to enjoy them. Yes you could be hit by a car but you can be hit by a car walking to work but people still do it. I get to work twice as fast on my bike and its free to park so its a win win for me
Old 25-03-2009 | 12:25 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

most bike accidents could be prevented by the rider. it's not a case of 'the other driver didn't see me', it's a case of you were going too fast or were in the wrong position and probably reacted in the wrong way.
Old 25-03-2009 | 12:29 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

One of the biggest problems is people passing their tests after they are 21 and going straight out and buying a 600.

A modern 600 has 110 bhp + and you can get into trouble very quickly.

I've ridden bikes since i was 17 and started on a 125 that couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

I must have fallen off that bike 5-6 times and i rode it all weathers. This was all part of the learning process and it taught me alot. I would hole yet another pair of jeans, kick the footpegs back into shape and ride home.

Now if i had done that first year of riding on a modern 600 it would have cost me a fortune in fairing repairs and probably meant several trips to the hospital.

I worked my way up from a 125 - 250 - 400 etc and by 23 i had a 200 bhp turbocharged blade.

My advice to anyone is once you have passed your test, don't try and be the flash harry. Buy yourself a 50-60 bhp bike absolute max and spend a year getting used to riding on the road.
Old 25-03-2009 | 12:34 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Originally Posted by Garage19
My advice to anyone is once you have passed your test, don't try and be the flash harry. Buy yourself a 50-60 bhp bike absolute max and spend a year getting used to riding on the road.
good advice doug. i bought a honda cbf600 as my first bike and the abs saved me a couple of times. i think every bike should have it and am looking forward to the vfr/blackbird replacement with the new honda abs system
Old 25-03-2009 | 12:34 PM
Neil@FastFord
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think bikes are dangerous, yet i keep thinking about them.

Would be great for summer fun and commuting into work and up and down between Manc 'n Bath. i do like danger but I doubt i could ever push a bike as hard as a car though. I'd just wuss out big time.
Old 25-03-2009 | 12:43 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

I started on slow bikes, which is where I got in the habbit of riding bikes everywhere at 11/10ths

I reckon if I started on a blade it might just have been quick enough to scare me into respecting it, but it doesnt if you work up to it gradually.

So im not actually convinced that in all cases going straight to a big bike is a bad thing, in my cause it couldnt possibly have made me a less responsible rider than the 50cc, 125cc, 250cc, 400cc etc route did!
Old 25-03-2009 | 12:50 PM
PATTY
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

i passed my direct access last aug and bought a 600 first ever bike apart from a 125 bing basher lol

had a few scary moments with it and sometimes when im out the thought does go through my head what am i doing but iv never had such a good time in my cars as i have on the bike
Old 25-03-2009 | 12:51 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

If running a car was cheaper, there'd be less people on fast bikes.

Lots of people I know, whether they admit it or not, have a bike because they can't afford to fuel and run a fast car.

So, yet again people are being taxed to death
Old 25-03-2009 | 12:51 PM
GribbiN

The old man has had many accidents, spent many times drinking through straws. All he says if your not living on the edge your taking up too much room. The guy has more metal than bones. One of the best riders i have ever ridden with but you cant control other peoples actions.

He quotes that "cars are moving chicanes" (which is scary when he is moving to a side for me to look at the speedo and its off the clock.)

Last edited by GribbiN; 25-03-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 25-03-2009 | 01:11 PM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

No chance mate. Way too dangerous. I know of 3 friends who have had bad bad bike accidents and id never risk a road bike although i still love motocross and am going out to drumclog in 10 mins.
Old 25-03-2009 | 01:11 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Originally Posted by GribbiN
The old man has had many accidents.......

One of the best riders i have ever ridden with
those 2 things don't go together in my book
Old 25-03-2009 | 01:14 PM
GribbiN

So going off all previous statements of doesn't matter how good you are ??? You can be the best rider in the world but other road users can still cause you harm.

He is good but doesnt stop people running you down when your not speeding.

He has rode bikes all his life over 40years doesnt agree with summer riding as you need to feel the road. Get used to the feed back you get from it.
Old 25-03-2009 | 01:15 PM
GribbiN

Minus the time he fell asleep

Quick Reply: Motorbkes , Danger discuss