General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Turbo Timers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 12:52 AM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by "ballin
most on the other hand class any mod as pay day
Got that right m8. And most of the others won't touch a modified car!
Old 05-12-2004, 12:56 AM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wes RS
Arazel you haven't got the handbrake wire linked up to the brake lights by mistake have you?

No. I have it connected to handbrake sensor

It only happens now and then but usually onbrakings to corners that Turbo Timer resets. It's rather not like a cable loosing contact because I've been moving lall the looms when stationary and nothng happend. But there is one strange thing which tells it's something electric. If engine is runing it happens only from time to time. But if I have only ignition on it happens everytime I press the brakes so brake lights light up. Any ideas? I am by no means electritian and that is one of the things on cars I don't even pretend to know about.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:59 AM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anh
Turbo timers are a complete waste of money and a potentially dangerious device to use anyway.
I would risk saying you'r wrong....

You thrash the car and then pull over to stop, what do you have? Hot baked oil and hardly any cooling as there is zero air flow going through the oil coolers.
Actually some cars have water to oil coolers you know... you you ain't baking anything couse there is high pressure oil circulation when you stop. But I won't argue technically. Look at the motorsports - rally car stops at the end of the stange with brakes burning and turbo glowin white - they just stop to have theit time put into log book. And they stand there for some time, they dont bake anything.

The best way to preserve the turbo (especially high boosted units) is to drive normally the last few minutes before you arrive where you are going to stop.
There is always a bigger fish.