General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Opinions wanted on this disagreement

Search this Thread

Old 26-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Opinions wanted on this disagreement

A lad on the MLR came over to my house to buy an radiator fan from me as I was breaking my Evo 5. He had shown a bit of interest in a tubular stainless manifold i had in the garage too, but said he couldnt afford it, so before he turns up i offered him the chance to have a look at it while he was round collecting the radiator fan.

This is the manifold in question

He comes round, goes into my garage, has a look at the manifold (in his own hands) and says "yeah i'll have it", hands over the money to me and doesnt ask a single question about it!

Now 3 weeks later he is demanding a refund because i didnt tell him it wasnt a standard fitment Evo manifold, that i didnt tell him it would require a gt series turbo and external wastegate, and that it hadnt already been fitted to my 365bhp Evo 5, imo you can clearly see all of the above things for yourself, and if you cant well you shouldnt be buying manifolds and such like!

He has since pm's me sayig things like

"I didnt ask as I thought it was off your Evo you were breaking, Not a bad assumption to make reall as you were selling parts from this car.

You also knew what car I had, All you had to say was "it will not fit your car". You knew this and did not tell me. Its ok saying I should have looked but even if I did I would not have known.

I aint about arguing by text mate better we sort this out face to face to be honest"

Hes coming back round tomorrow because he says "You will be getting the manifold back one way or another mate"

Surely im not the only person who thinks he is bang out of order and i havent done a bloody thing wrong!?!?!?!

How can you possibly argue about a refund on something you clearly inspected and held in your own hands before handing over the money for the item and still not even asking a single question about it

Needless to say he wont be getting his refund like hes expecting!
Old 26-02-2009, 12:29 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Plank...... If it was faulty or not as you described, then fair enough. Offer to take it back off him minus a fee for the fucking about? But in essence you are quite right, if he couldn't see it was for an external wastegate, and that it was unused, then he shouldn't be buying it!!!

And it WILL fit his car, just needs the correct turbo and wastegate! Out of interest how much did you sell it for?

Last edited by RWD_cossie_wil; 26-02-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 26-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, basically, he's bought it because it's shiney. He's then realised he needs to buy a new turbo to use it, and is too tight. So instead of just selling it on and admitting his mistake, he's having a pissy fit.

Tell him to fuck off.
Old 26-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you a big lad?
Old 26-02-2009, 12:35 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ben im off work tomorrow fella, dont mind poping up if you need a spot of back up mate ,

beef
Old 26-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Id just politely tell him to do one, he should have asked, and should have known that it wasnt for a standard one purely because of the external wastegate takeoff.

You cant ask no questions then demand a refund, what a plank

Sarah
Old 26-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Lambchop
Are you a big lad?
he is about 5stone ringing wet and going bald

Sarah
Old 26-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
Plank...... If it was faulty or not as you described, then fair enough. Offer to take it back off him minus a fee for the fucking about? But in essence you are quite right, if he couldn't see it was for an external wastegate, and that it was unused, then he shouldn't be buying it!!!

And it WILL fit his car, just needs the correct turbo and wastegate! Out of interest how much did you sell it for?
Yeah exactly, i know all this it just appears he is a bit of a clueless kinda guy. Sold it for Ł120 so its hardly massive cash!

Originally Posted by Lambchop
Are you a big lad?
nope... but im not scared of the kid, its just childish and petty, i cant believe his attitude tbh

Originally Posted by -beefy-
ben im off work tomorrow fella, dont mind poping up if you need a spot of back up mate ,

beef
cheers for the offer beef but its alright mate, dont worry about it

Originally Posted by Rab
So, basically, he's bought it because it's shiney. He's then realised he needs to buy a new turbo to use it, and is too tight. So instead of just selling it on and admitting his mistake, he's having a pissy fit.

Tell him to fuck off.
Yeah thats about the jist of it, and thats the plan.
Old 26-02-2009, 12:44 PM
CraigoScott
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i cant see his point, BUT i see yours more, tell him to stick it on ebay if he doesnt want it!
Old 26-02-2009, 12:44 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

tell him u will buy it back off him for 60
Old 26-02-2009, 12:54 PM
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

he should have checked what he was buying
Old 26-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Rs1
Advanced PassionFord User

Sounds like a proper plank if he didn't realise it was to use with a ext. gate, what did he think that great big pipe was for sticking out the front,lol.
That mani should sell for more than he paid easy enough so why doesn't he sell it on if he doesn't want it?
Old 26-02-2009, 01:11 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

My only reservation would be that he knows where you live!

Depending on how aggro he is it could be worth just giving him a partial refund to avoid any retribution. I'd give him Ł100 back and sell the manifold on. It's got to be worth more than Ł120 surely??
Old 26-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

I would just tell him in no uncertain terms that it was sold as seen, and it's up to him what he does with it; although you could probably suggest that he could quite easily sell it on.
Old 26-02-2009, 01:15 PM
S1

Implication & Assumption. He assumed it was fit for his purpose, you never implied it was. It's his responsibility to find out if its fit for the purpsoe intended, not yours. Tell him to jog on mate.
Old 26-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

To be totally frank i dont see why i should give him any kind of full or partial refund. The major downside is he knows where i live but im not prepared to be blackmailed into giving hima refund just because he knows where i live!

He is good friends with at least 1 well known member of passionford from the regional ford community (not going to name the friend as thats a bit unfair) so hes not totally exempt from being located himself, if he does try to play funny buggers.

I think he should just accept he's made a silly mistake by buying something he knows nothing about and sell it on... end of story!
Old 26-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Lamb Souvla
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nob end, tell him to sod off. BUT also be carefull, these days you never know what people are like, such a lack of fear and respect of the law, much better to have a couple of mates sitting inside out of sight but within earshot.
Old 26-02-2009, 01:26 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

Tell him it was sold as tried tested and seen. If he has any problems he is welcome to seek legal advice. He does not have a leg to stand on! And 120 is a very fair price he should easy be able to sell it on for that!
Old 26-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Danster76
Advanced PassionFord User

I think its this part where the problem is "but said he couldnt afford it".

He's bought something he couldn't afford but liked the look of, who's bought something with their heart not head before?? Then, it doesn't work with his set up so, now he's upset that he's spent money (he couldn't afford to spend) on something which he can't use. Its a bit like losing your wallet! I've been here before.

If you knew it wouldn't fit his set up and willingly let him buy it knowing it wouldn't fit and thinking he was a plank then I think you're bang out of order, you took advantage!

It you didn't know this and are confident you can sell it easily enough then why not show some goodwill and give him his money back and sell it again. He bought your radiator fan off you anyway so its not like he wasted your time completely.

Its your call isn't it but I think what goes around comes around. I'd sooner sleep better knowing you were the bigger man ultimately.

My 2p worth.
Old 26-02-2009, 01:35 PM
t31ryt

just bite the bullet mate and give a refund...not worth the shit it may attract...these days people get there house burnt down for less!!

Id just make it clear your not intimidated and in future he checks before buying and not to presume things will fit
Old 26-02-2009, 01:36 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put him on his arse
Old 26-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

If he is that fucking stupid that he couldnt tell that manifold was for an externally gated turbo, then surely he will be unable to find your house again and it must have just been luck last time?

Personally, I would offer him a refund, but explain that you will be posting a copy of this thread on the MLR including his name, to point out to others how stupid he is and that they must hold his hand on any purchace he makes, after all what if he bought a set of wheels and they didnt have tyres, he might just fit them straight to his car and have an accident.
Old 26-02-2009, 01:42 PM
paulb81

Danster:- If you knew it wouldn't fit his set up and willingly let him buy it knowing it wouldn't fit and thinking he was a plank then I think you're bang out of order, you took advantage!

What setup was that then? He didnt say fook all.

He came, he viewed, he touched, he said yes, gave Ł120 and left.

End of story.

Tell the nugget to get fcuked
Old 26-02-2009, 01:43 PM
t31ryt

Originally Posted by Chip
If he is that fucking stupid that he couldnt tell that manifold was for an externally gated turbo, then surely he will be unable to find your house again and it must have just been luck last time?

Personally, I would offer him a refund, but explain that you will be posting a copy of this thread on the MLR including his name, to point out to others how stupid he is and that they must hold his hand on any purchace he makes, after all what if he bought a set of wheels and they didnt have tyres, he might just fit them straight to his car and have an accident.

Class hahahaha
Old 26-02-2009, 01:49 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

fuck giving him a refund , seems the pussywhipped people all say that ,

it was his own fault buying somthing he didnt have a clue about ,

tell him to fuck right off ,

beef
Old 26-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Chip

fuck giving him a refund , seems the pussywhipped people all say that ,

it was his own fault buying somthing he didnt have a clue about ,

tell him to fuck right off ,

beef

The only downside to your logic, is if the little scrote comes round in a months time and keys his car cause he really feels so hard done by over it.
Then what did you really gain by not refunding him such a tiny amount of money?

You seem to be using the word "pussywhipped" instead of "streetwise people who realise the implications of falling out with someone over a tiny amount of money who knows where you live"

Or are you going to reply to that saying you are big and hard and would go round and kick his head in despite no evidence it was him, and probably end up inside for your trouble like all the other people out there who seem to confuse the word "hard" with "terminally fucking stupid"
Old 26-02-2009, 02:07 PM
t31ryt

The only downside to your logic, is if the little scrote comes round in a months time and keys his car cause he really feels so hard done by over it.
Then what did you really gain by not refunding him such a tiny amount of money?

You seem to be using the word "pussywhipped" instead of "streetwise people who realise the implications of falling out with someone over a tiny amount of money who knows where you live"

Or are you going to reply to that saying you are big and hard and would go round and kick his head in despite no evidence it was him, and probably end up inside for your trouble like all the other people out there who seem to confuse the word "hard" with "terminally fucking stupid"
indeedy......maybe just his age or maybe he is a hardman and doesnt mind the shit?!?!
Old 26-02-2009, 02:11 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

not at all chip ,

and whist i am big , not nessacairly hard as you may say , plenty of bigger harder people out there ,

but i dont feel bens dont anything wrong so why the fuck should he ,

could understand if he had bullshitted the lad but he didnt ,

and how you know the blokes a lil scrote ? or that he lives close enough to casually pop round and damage a car ?

imho its not like the lad has been ripped off , and lost 120 quid ,

HE still has a manifold that he can sell bk on to recoup his money ....

ohh and they may call it streetwise were you live mate ,

but up here we prefer pussywhipped

has a far nicer ring to it ,

beef
Old 26-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Chip

not at all chip ,

and whist i am big , not nessacairly hard as you may say , plenty of bigger harder people out there ,

but i dont feel bens dont anything wrong so why the fuck should he ,

could understand if he had bullshitted the lad but he didnt ,
I agree, its the lad who has made the mistake, not Ben.
Ben has NO legal or moral responsibility to take that manifold back IMHO.

Hence I said the only way I would do so is with a name and shame to teach the fool a lesson.

and how you know the blokes a lil scrote ? or that he lives close enough to casually pop round and damage a car ?
Going by the "he's taking it back one way or the other" comment he sounds to me like the sort of idiot who is implying that he would come and throw it through your window, which tends to mean some snivelling little coward who would key your car IME, so not worth taking the risk I reckon, especially as it will soon sell again anyway, its just not worth the hassle wether he is right or wrong.

imho its not like the lad has been ripped off , and lost 120 quid ,

HE still has a manifold that he can sell bk on to recoup his money ....
Agreed, although he sounds too stupid to be able to work out how to advertise it

ohh and they may call it streetwise were you live mate ,

but up here we prefer pussywhipped

has a far nicer ring to it ,

beef
Im sure the lads in D block will agree with you, while im busy doing trackdays and enjoying life
Old 26-02-2009, 02:27 PM
t31ryt

Each to their own i suppose..

I just wouldnt want the shit at my door for Ł120 before the kids and the expensive cars id have stuck the manifold where the sun dont shine!!

I've had a few scraps in my time and won most but is it really worth it?!?!

beefy- if thats what ud do then thats what ud do....but calling people pussywhipped for doing what they think is right is bang out of order!
Old 26-02-2009, 02:29 PM
t31ryt

FRANKIE SAYS...

War-huh
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing
Say it again
Old 26-02-2009, 02:36 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

look my opinon is my opinion , same as chips is his ,

fucking chill out man ,

all im saying is if i was in bens position i wouldnt return his money end of ,

thats just the was i call it ,

granted chip may of had a lil more past experince so his better judgement is to sort it out amicablly nothing wrong with that ,

im just saying i wouldnt its that simple ,

ohh and we dont have a d block in our local nick ,

only goes up to c ,

ill start learning the theme to prisoner cell block h

beef
Old 26-02-2009, 02:39 PM
t31ryt

Frankie says..

Relax
Old 26-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Chip

That frankie has a lot of good advice.

Where does he go if he wants to make a film?
Old 26-02-2009, 02:52 PM
t31ryt

Chip- u had me then i was just typing back "am i showing my age"
Old 26-02-2009, 03:12 PM
swebber23
PassionFord Regular

Best course of action IMO, He seems like a cock, not worth the hassle. If he keys your car up it will set you back more than Ł120. If you give him the money you can sell manifold again.

Name and shame him, he can't argue with the facts
Old 26-02-2009, 08:48 PM
geoffxr4

The guy is obviously a little naive but i dont think it was unreasonable for him to assume this part was also off the car you're breaking and selling parts from. We all have to start somewhere and he obviously isn't that knowledgeable and he assumed it would fit his car without thinking about it properly.

If you knew it wouldn't fit his car then why didn't you tell him to make sure he knew what he was doing buying it? yeah, it's not up to you to check but it's the decent thing to do, isn't it?

Refund and sell it to someone who can use it i say
Old 26-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by geoffxr4
The guy is obviously a little naive but i dont think it was unreasonable for him to assume this part was also off the car you're breaking and selling parts from. We all have to start somewhere and he obviously isn't that knowledgeable and he assumed it would fit his car without thinking about it properly.

If you knew it wouldn't fit his car then why didn't you tell him to make sure he knew what he was doing buying it? yeah, it's not up to you to check but it's the decent thing to do, isn't it?

Refund and sell it to someone who can use it i say

It WILL fit his car, its just not the only bit he needs to fit it, how would the seller know that the buyer didnt have a clue what was needed to fit it?

I quite often sell turbos and stuff, and unless the buyer ASKS for my advice, I dont give any as is not my place to.
Old 26-02-2009, 08:57 PM
geoffxr4

It WILL fit his car, its just not the only bit he needs to fit it, how would the seller know that the buyer didnt have a clue what was needed to fit it?

I quite often sell turbos and stuff, and unless the buyer ASKS for my advice, I dont give any as is not my place to.

I see your point. But if a lad came round and you knew what set up he had and he was buying the manifold spur of the moment that you knew wldn't fit wouldn't you mention that he needed a few other things to make it fit?
Just seems to me the way it reads the guy assumed it would be a standard fitment as he thought it was from the car that was being broken. He says red16 knew what set up he had so i guess he assumed the guy would say 'this wont fit your set up' if it wldn't.

Why not mention it so save hassle in the long run when he comes back asking for a refund
Old 26-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by geoffxr4
I see your point. But if a lad came round and you knew what set up he had and he was buying the manifold spur of the moment that you knew wldn't fit wouldn't you mention that he needed a few other things to make it fit?
I would assume if he was buying an external wastegate manifold, that he was also buying an external wastegate turbo from someone!

Why on earth would you buy one otherwise?

If I sell someone a telly, I assume they know it needs to be in a house with some electric and an aerial.

Just seems to me the way it reads the guy assumed it would be a standard fitment as he thought it was from the car that was being broken. He says red16 knew what set up he had so i guess he assumed the guy would say 'this wont fit your set up' if it wldn't.

Why not mention it so save hassle in the long run when he comes back asking for a refund
Cause if you said to someone "you know this wont fit your standard internal gate turbo" they would think you had been smoking crack most of the time I should think.

If someone turned up to buy some 18" tyres off me in a car on 15" rims, I wouldnt start saying "you know that these wont fit your wheels" either!

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted on this disagreement