General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Opinions wanted on this disagreement

Search this Thread

Old 26-02-2009, 09:08 PM
geoffxr4
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
I would assume if he was buying an external wastegate manifold, that he was also buying an external wastegate turbo from someone!

Why on earth would you buy one otherwise?
I think it's been established this guy didn't know exactly what it was. That's the point, why not help him out a little.

If someone turned up to buy some 18" tyres off me in a car on 15" rims, I wouldnt start saying "you know that these wont fit your wheels" either!
Pity if you'd deliberately sell something to someone knowing they were idiots
Old 26-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Big Will_
Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would assume if he was buying an external wastegate manifold, that he was also buying an external wastegate turbo from someone!

Why on earth would you buy one otherwise?

If I sell someone a telly, I assume they know it needs to be in a house with some electric and an aerial.
Priceless!

Ben, just tell him that!
Old 26-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by geoffxr4
I think it's been established this guy didn't know exactly what it was. That's the point, why not help him out a little.
He didnt know at the time that the bloke wasnt also going to by a turbo to fit the manifold, its a pretty safe assumption if someone buys an external gate manifold they are going to get an external gate turbo to go with it surely?!

Pity if you'd deliberately sell something to someone knowing they were idiots
You tool, in that wheels example I gave, I meant I would make the assumption it was for a different set of wheels they had or another car!

I turn up in my audi all the time to buy bits for cosworth engines or vauxhall engines, I dont expect people to tell me "here mate these magnecore YB leads wont go on your 1.9 Tdi you know"
Old 26-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

FFS Chip, I am well annoyed now!!

If I sell someone a telly, I assume they know it needs to be in a house with some electric and an aerial.
Spat fosters into my brand new Saitek Eclipse II keyboard you Tw@.

Old 26-02-2009, 09:26 PM
geoffxr4

He didnt know at the time that the bloke wasnt also going to by a turbo to fit the manifold, its a pretty safe assumption if someone buys an external gate manifold they are going to get an external gate turbo to go with it surely?!
Yeah, obviously there are too sides to the story and i totally agree with what you're saying. But from reading i got the impression the guy didn't really know what he was buying and assumed it had come off the car being broken, not an unreasonable assumption if you don't know too much about cars, and if he doesn't know too much about cars then help him out a little. Personally, i'd mention it if he was a lad and might not know too much about it.

You tool, in that wheels example I gave, I meant I would make the assumption it was for a different set of wheels they had or another car!
So you wouldn't have assumed this guy was buying the manifold for the same car as the radiator. Your example's very different to what we're talking about here.

I just feel a bit sorry for the guy
Old 26-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Christ, ok maybe you could forgive him for not seeing the (blantent) external wastegate feature.

But for him to claim he didnt know it was "aftermatket" item then he really shouldn't be playing with cars and spanners!

Ive never seen an evo engine bay and even i know fabriction like that is not O.E fitment buy looking at the pictures.

Stand your ground mate, he hasnt got a leg to stand on!

Just watch you self, as he sounds like a little shite, souns like the type of person who will pop back later and put a key down your car!

Id tell him if he wants his money back to simply sell it on again.
Old 26-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

To be honest for the amount of hassle it might be would it not be easier to just give his money back less a fee for fucking about . I don't doubt that he may be in the wrong but do you want or need the associated headaches?
Old 26-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Chip

Yeah, obviously there are too sides to the story and i totally agree with what you're saying. But from reading i got the impression the guy didn't really know what he was buying and assumed it had come off the car being broken, not an unreasonable assumption if you don't know too much about cars, and if he doesn't know too much about cars then help him out a little. Personally, i'd mention it if he was a lad and might not know too much about it.
It was FOR the car that was being broken, surely that was fucking obvious that it hadnt been on there already, have you ever seen a used exhaust manifold that looks like that?

Its blatantly never been used!

So you wouldn't have assumed this guy was buying the manifold for the same car as the radiator. Your example's very different to what we're talking about here.

I just feel a bit sorry for the guy
Yes I would assume he was buying the manifold for the same car as the radiator, and it IS for the same car as the radiator, its an evo aftermarket manifold, and he bought an evo radiator.

Can some of you thick fucks not just read the fucking original post before you reply about how hard done by the guy was?

He came to see an Evo.
He bought bits for his Evo.
One of the bits he bought was an Evo aftermarket manifold, bought for an evo, from a bloke with an evo

You're making out like he got sold one for a fucking 1973 sherper van or something, not one that IS for an evo!
Old 26-02-2009, 09:44 PM
geoffxr4

It was FOR the car that was being broken, surely that was fucking obvious that it hadnt been on there already, have you ever seen a used exhaust manifold that looks like that?

Its blatantly never been used!

Yes I would assume he was buying the manifold for the same car as the radiator, and it IS for the same car as the radiator, its an evo aftermarket manifold, and he bought an evo radiator.

Can some of you thick fucks not just read the fucking original post before you reply about how hard done by the guy was?

He came to see an Evo.
He bought bits for his Evo.
One of the bits he bought was an Evo aftermarket manifold, bought for an evo, from a bloke with an evo

You're making out like he got sold one for a fucking 1973 sherper van or something, not one that IS for an evo!
I'm not a thick fuck, i've read the post, so dont be a prick cos i have a different opinion to you.

The guy assumed out of naivety it was something it wasn't. He's there in person, having a chat, buying stuff for his evo. Give the guy a break and help him out a little
Old 26-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Big Will_

Is that the lesser known GT turbo'd external gated 1973 sherper van?
Old 26-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Chip

Geoff, here are YOUR words:

So you wouldn't have assumed this guy was buying the manifold for the same car as the radiator.
It WAS for the same car!

Which bit of that arent you getting?

If the bloke buying it didnt know what the fuck it did, why the fuck did he buy it!

Last edited by Chip; 26-02-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 26-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Will @ M Developments
Is that the lesser known GT turbo'd external gated 1973 sherper van?

This thread really has thoroughly suprised me, cant believe the number of people who think you should assume that someone buying parts has NO idea at all what they are for.

Next time im in mcdonalds buying a cup of coffee in the drive through, if they dont tell me that I cant possibly use it as anti freeze mix for the car im driving through in, I'll give Geoff here their number so he can go and harass them for not being helpful enough and assuming that cause im handing over money for a coffee im actually aware that coffee is something you drink!
Old 26-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Big Will_

Chip,

I must be a pleasure to purchase car parts off:

I actually had to tell someone that this wasn't a straight 'bolt on upgrade' for their standard 1.8 Ford Focus...

Old 26-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Kevin Sharp
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oranoco
To be honest for the amount of hassle it might be would it not be easier to just give his money back less a fee for fucking about . I don't doubt that he may be in the wrong but do you want or need the associated headaches?
i have to agree, i sold a cossie bumper that was as rough as fook to an idiot once and i told him it was...he took it anyway, then after his bodyshop looked at it they told him the same....he claimed he didnt know what he was looking at..so i gave him £60 back for it, he had paid £75, i stuck it on ebay with an honest descripton and sold it for over £100 and the buyer was delighted

blokes rang me again for parts which i have had but my reply is alway "sorry not got one".......nobber
Old 26-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Chip

Will, Im fucking livid at Doug from Garage19, he sold me this manifold for my LET engine, and it wouldnt fit under the bonnet of my nova anymore!

Look what I had to do to make it fit my car, I had to move the engine to get clearance for it

Old 26-02-2009, 10:11 PM
geoffxr4

chip, i think you've missed the point mate. If you pulled into my garage and asked for a coffee cos your car was overheating i'd help you out and let you know you've got things a bit wrong. Not just sell you coffee anyway cos i assume you know what you're doing.

I dunno if you work in retail but i used too and people who buy stuff can be very very thick and they will come back complaining and then it's grief all round.
Old 26-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Next time im in mcdonalds buying a cup of coffee in the drive through, if they dont tell me that I cant possibly use it as anti freeze mix for the car im driving through in, I'll give Geoff here their number so he can go and harass them for not being helpful enough and assuming that cause im handing over money for a coffee im actually aware that coffee is something you drink!
To be fair mate I've tasted McDonalds coffee and it's quite easy to mistake it for antifreeze.

Last edited by Oranoco; 26-02-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 26-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Chip

chip, i think you've missed the point mate. If you pulled into my garage and asked for a coffee cos your car was overheating i'd help you out and let you know you've got things a bit wrong. Not just sell you coffee anyway cos i assume you know what you're doing.

I dunno if you work in retail but i used too and people who buy stuff can be very very thick and they will come back complaining and then it's grief all round.

He pulled up in an evo, and bought an exhaust manifold for an evo, a VERY clearly non standard one, designed for an externally gated turbo.

What exactly do you think he should have been told?

Seriously, if you said to most people buying that "you do realise that is not a standard manifold" they would laugh in your face!

If he didnt know what it was, he shouldnt have fucking bought it, or he should have ASKED what it was first!

This is how Red16 described it on the evo forum though:
i have a tubular manifold in the garage with 44mm external wastegate take off
So he was hardly trying to pass it off as a standard one

Last edited by Chip; 26-02-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 26-02-2009, 10:53 PM
geoffxr4

He pulled up in an evo, and bought an exhaust manifold for an evo, a VERY clearly non standard one, designed for an externally gated turbo.

Seriously, if you said to most people buying that "you do realise that is not a standard manifold" they would laugh in your face!

If he didnt know what it was, he shouldnt have fucking bought it, or he should have ASKED what it was first!

Ok mate, that's fine. All i'm saying is i would have done it differently. If i was breaking my xr4x4 and a guy was coming to buy my radiator and he pulled up outside in a standard xr4x4 then wanted to buy my never fitted twin turbo manifold the thought would probably cross my mind does this guy know what it is and realise it hasn't come off my car. You don't have to patronise the guy or anything, i'd probably say something like 'gonna go for the turbo eh?' or have a chat to him about performance of the turbo models. If i sold it to him without saying anything i wouldn't be surprised if he came back the next week saying it wont fit.
Old 26-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Chip

FPMSL

So if someone said "i'll have that turbo manifold please" you would think "hmm, i wonder if he knows that manifold is for a turbo" and start quizzing him?

Priceless!
Old 26-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Chip

Golden rule:

If you have NO idea at all what something is, dont fucking buy it.

Well, unless its a kebab and you are pissed at the time
Old 26-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Big Will_

Golden rule:

If you have NO idea at all what something is, dont fucking buy it.

Well, unless its a kebab and you are pissed at the time
Or the 'lamb' curry at Bedford. At £7 i was expecting something with actual platinum in
Old 26-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

But surely Geoff, if the buyer see's a manifold in his own two hands with a bloody great big 44mm v-band external wastegate take off pipe on it and is in the slightest bit unsure of what it is or wether it'll fit his standard kit then he should open his mouth and ask something like "what is that geet big pipe for?" or "how did you have this fitted to your car?" or "will this fit my standard manifold/engine?"

He's obviously not 'shy' as he's full of himself after the event while asking for the refund, so surely he couldve eliminated all doubt and just asked, i wouldnt have filled him full of shit and wouldve told him it didnt fit his standard turbo, but i assumed that he knew this, as its obvious to 99% of people who modify Evo's that its not a standard fit item!!!

This sums it up pretty well to me, although he did actually pull up in a Citroen Picasso so i should'v warned him it wouldnt be a direct fit to that particular car in the slightest

PS nice to see you've been checking up on me on the MLR

Last edited by Red16; 26-02-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 26-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

tell the bloke to do one!!!!
Old 27-02-2009, 11:14 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't belive there is an argument here, how the fuck do most people cope with daily life? ...

Chip, I would give up, it seems if you sold some people a £20 note for £10 they would moan!
Old 27-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will, Im fucking livid at Doug from Garage19, he sold me this manifold for my LET engine, and it wouldnt fit under the bonnet of my nova anymore!

Look what I had to do to make it fit my car, I had to move the engine to get clearance for it

You had better not key my van.... you might disturb the rust.
Old 27-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Well he's been and gone, we argued the toss for a bit, he left with no money and threatened that "i will pay back double for it as he's in the area regularly and knows my car and where i live!"

I hate this kind of approach... imo if youre gonna do something, do it there and then, not at a later date on the sly like a coward!

Even after all this he still thinks im in the wrong... i honestly cant believe it, ffs!!
Old 27-02-2009, 12:36 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Cock
Old 27-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Oh and he's also "going to find out where i work"........ he must be after a job
Old 27-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

i sold a set of alloys for an escort.

Sold them as Ford Escort 17inch alloy wheels, 4 stud fitment, Offset et35, guy came round and bought them helped him put them in the back of his transit, later that day got a call from him saying the dont fit his pug. his tough luck,
add already said what they where.

And red16 post on mlr what it was so i would tell the bloke to done one.
Old 27-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Elvis
And red16 post on mlr what it was so i would tell the bloke to done one.
I cant, my MLR membership has expired earlier this month and because of that im now well over the maximum 20 posts per month for non subscribing members of the MLR. Thats the main reason i started the thread on here, dont see why i should pay £35 to join again just to post this up on there!
Old 27-02-2009, 01:13 PM
steano

whats his mlr name
Old 27-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by steano
whats his mlr name
t2dex
Old 27-02-2009, 01:47 PM
swebber23
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by t2dex
Is my Picasso a Turbo Deisel as it dont state it on the paperwork only says HDi
http://www.citroenpicasso.org.uk/pic...ode=linearplus

Doesn't seem like he even knows what a turbo looks like.....

Also seems to crash his evo a fair few times, I lol'd at his Evo 6 questions thread

Last edited by swebber23; 27-02-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 27-02-2009, 02:47 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just appologise, say you think both could have communicated better, or spend the next year getting up whenever you hear a sound in case your car is getting torched, trust me for a piffling £120 it just aint worth the stress, give him a big hug just for good measure.
Any fisticuff stupidity could lead to even worse consequences for all concerned, at the end of the day it looks to be worth more than that so sell it on.
tabetha
Old 27-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

i wouldnt be losing sleep over it, theres no pleasing some folk.

Sarah
Old 27-02-2009, 03:14 PM
COZ!!!!
Ford -The power of dreams

tell him to sell it on 4 the same price he bought it for.
Old 27-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Im 5' 2" & an oap, someone pulls up at my door & says I cheated him out of £120, i give him £150 & say how sorry I am .
It aint worth the aggro believe me if you were 100% sure you were right you would not be on here sounding things out. He must be thick to do what he did & thats why I would be worried. What he has said is a threat & for £120 it simply aint worth the aggro he or more likely his mates could cause you.
Rod
Old 27-02-2009, 04:46 PM
AJ_ERST
Regular Contributor

If it was me who bought it and realised it was the wrong part then i would just sell it on and put it down to experiance...

If it was damaged or not as described then i would be quite upset and want my money back.

If deep down you knew thant the chap thought it would go straight on his car with no additional parts then I would give him the money back for you trying it on.

The question is.... how much hassle is this really worth and .. do you feel lucky punk!!!!
Old 27-02-2009, 05:30 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually I see his point in the very first message he sent you, you could have at the least said "you do know you will need such and such, and this aint off my car....etc"

Not everyone knows what they are looking at, rightly or wrongly.

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted on this disagreement