General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

The new focus RS!

Search this Thread

Old 26-02-2009, 11:00 AM
mark r
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

25k for 300 bhp where else can you find tha sort of power for that money.stop knocking it i think its lovely and if i could afford 1 i would buy 1 and as matey said last of the escos were 28k so and were going back 10 yrs ago!!!!
Old 26-02-2009, 12:49 PM
SiZT
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondeo Man
if it happens within 12 months i'll buy one and eat it
don't get a mouldy one then
Old 26-02-2009, 01:21 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I think we'll be finding that the 'in gear' times will be pretty sizzling and on a par or better than an fq300
Seeing as it's got a load more torque, and less transmission losses, I reckon they'll be a fair bit better than the Evo's.
Old 26-02-2009, 01:25 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the latest issue of "Auto Motor und Sport" here, the most reputable car mag in Germany. It's VW land and they're usually quite critical about Fords but they absolutely loved the new RS, stretching the fact that it's got more torque than an R8, exceptional traction for FWD, etc.
Old 26-02-2009, 01:45 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Seeing as it's got a load more torque, and less transmission losses, I reckon they'll be a fair bit better than the Evo's.

I was going to say that but I dont want to get flamed for questioning the mighty 4wd

I've never driven a 4wd road car that doesnt have slight 'push on' understeer anyway so i just dont get what the fuss is about, providing the RS doesnt spin up its wheels in all the gears and lays the power down, which it appears to the only difference will be traction ( note traction NOT grip going round a corner ) in the wet, when you wouldnt be caining it anyway

Fucking mongs judging it as a disappointment or crap before they've driven it and the testers are all hailing it as the best hot (hyper) hatch ever
Old 26-02-2009, 01:47 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

It's amusing that there are probably more 'haterz' on this site than any other! For some reason old school RS owners seem intent on disliking it even though it's clearly an exceptionally good car. I can sort of see the reasoning behind it, but even when the car's been demonstrated to be really rather special the haters remains.

Me, I just think it's fantastic that Ford are producing a kick ass RS again!
Old 26-02-2009, 01:53 PM
It's Czech Mate

It's amusing that there are probably more 'haterz' on this site than any other! For some reason old school RS owners seem intent on disliking it even though it's clearly an exceptionally good car. I can sort of see the reasoning behind it, but even when the car's been demonstrated to be really rather special the haters remains.

Me too, some of the other RS's werent class leaders when they came out, but they all have that bit of magic.

The heartening thing is all the testers say it's an 'occasion' to drive it and its fun wich is 99% job done regardless of the performance.

Roll on an RS Fiesta
Old 26-02-2009, 01:53 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

I was going to say that but I dont want to get flamed for questioning the mighty 4wd

I've never driven a 4wd road car that doesnt have slight 'push on' understeer anyway so i just dont get what the fuss is about, providing the RS doesnt spin up its wheels in all the gears and lays the power down, which it appears to the only difference will be traction ( note traction NOT grip going round a corner ) in the wet, when you wouldnt be caining it anyway

Fucking mongs judging it as a disappointment or crap before they've driven it and the testers are all hailing it as the best hot (hyper) hatch ever
Spot on mate!

Also I'd sincerely recommend all the FWD haters to do a test drive in a Golf R32. Their AWD system is such a joykill, that you'll probably never ask for 4x4 again. All about driving safety but no fun at all.

AWD can be great but most of the time the targeted customer is either a hunter or someone living in the Alps, but not a car enthusiast who likes to drive his car in anger round a track.
Old 26-02-2009, 02:09 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by PeterRST
Also I'd sincerely recommend all the FWD haters to do a test drive in a Golf R32. Their AWD system is such a joykill, that you'll probably never ask for 4x4 again. All about driving safety but no fun at all.
So true! You need a bit of waywardness in a performance car so you can tame it and feel that you're in control of it, and not the other way around!
Old 26-02-2009, 02:11 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hmm!i think you lot have gone abit of track lol!I have said that i feel that in this day and age a 0-60 of 5.9 is not mind blowing for a performance car!i take it you think otherwise?and you lot can honestly say that in the current climate that 25-30k is not alot for a focus especially when the new wrx is 17.9k,(yes the focus is alot nicer car to look at etc)thyen i am sorry but you all have far to much money to burn!!!or more to the case plastic money which is how we got into this mess in the first place lol!
Old 26-02-2009, 02:13 PM
It's Czech Mate

Its 17.9k because they arent selling because the public havent taken to the new shape!

All the focus's competitors are around the same price! You're just picking on one shit one thats not as powerful, not as well specced and isnt selling because the public hate it compared to the previous model :s

If you're going to make comparisons, consider ALL of them, not just the ( tenuous ) ones that support your ( weak ) argument
Old 26-02-2009, 02:21 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

i will stick to what i have said!out of interest does the focus rs share anythink (mechanical etc)with the racing rs?(genuine question)
Old 26-02-2009, 02:23 PM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by mechanic28
i will stick to what i have said!out of interest does the focus rs share anythink (mechanical etc)with the racing rs?(genuine question)
I doubt it

I imagine it's like nearly all of the RS models before it, apart from the really low volume homologation specials, which even then were so far removed from a fully prepared motorsport car they couldnt be compared
Old 26-02-2009, 02:27 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

what about evo and scoobies again genuine question?
Old 26-02-2009, 02:39 PM
It's Czech Mate

what about evo and scoobies again genuine question?

Same

A road car is massively far removed from a prepped motorsport car. Massively different
Old 26-02-2009, 02:43 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

hmm!i think you lot have gone abit of track lol!I have said that i feel that in this day and age a 0-60 of 5.9 is not mind blowing for a performance car!i take it you think otherwise?and you lot can honestly say that in the current climate that 25-30k is not alot for a focus especially when the new wrx is 17.9k,(yes the focus is alot nicer car to look at etc)thyen i am sorry but you all have far to much money to burn!!!or more to the case plastic money which is how we got into this mess in the first place lol!
0 - 60 times really don't say that much about the performance of a car, do they? Depends on so many things. A WRC car on gravel will probably reach 60 quicker than an F1 on a dry track. So hardly a great way of comparing cars.

But still, given the fact it's a practical FWD hot hatch 5.9 as a stock figure is pretty damn impressive to me.
Old 26-02-2009, 02:45 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if you remove the arguing, the astra doesn't go round corners as composed as the st does

and, for what it's worth, i've seen loads and loads of focus st's driving about this year, and can't remember the last time i saw a vrx or any discription other than a monaro, but that's because i know osmeone who ownes one so that doesn't really count does it
Old 26-02-2009, 02:46 PM
It's Czech Mate

http://www.m-sport.co.uk/cars4sale/59

Look this is a second hand car..........they're all similar prices, EVO's Subaru's and shar virtually nill components with the road car. For WRC the hologation is actually on the 2.0 duratec focus.....read the Regs and you'll see
Old 26-02-2009, 03:15 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

hmm!i think you lot have gone abit of track lol!I have said that i feel that in this day and age a 0-60 of 5.9 is not mind blowing for a performance car!i take it you think otherwise?and you lot can honestly say that in the current climate that 25-30k is not alot for a focus especially when the new wrx is 17.9k
,(yes the focus is alot nicer car to look at etc)then i am sorry but you all have far to much money to burn!!!or more to the case plastic money which is how we got into this mess in the first place lol!
Off track? I thought we were discussing the Focus RS, which is that the thread's about surely.

I think that 5.9 seconds for a hot version of a regular family car is outstanding, but that's missing the point, as 0-60 is no indicator of real world performance. Plus £25K for 300bhp and 324lb/ft is good going - I'm never going to be in the market for one, as I'm not exactly a wealthy man, but if I was in the market for a car in that price range I'd be down the dealership tomorrow!
Old 26-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

0 - 60 times really don't say that much about the performance of a car, do they? Depends on so many things. A WRC car on gravel will probably reach 60 quicker than an F1 on a dry track. So hardly a great way of comparing cars.

But still, given the fact it's a practical FWD hot hatch 5.9 as a stock figure is pretty damn impressive to me.
Behave, have you never seen an f1 car leave the grid
Old 26-02-2009, 04:26 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
just in case he hasn't, some peole here have added some numbers to the argument

http://www.linksheaven.com/forums/in...showtopic=2929

0-160kph-0 in less than 6 seconds

4 to go, 2 to stop
Old 26-02-2009, 04:54 PM
gaz s1

Its fwd for a reason, transmission losses, they would have to have made it a lot more powerfull in 4wd.
Take cossies as the example lets face it escos and saff 4x4s at stage 3 dont exactly set the world alight amd the ones i have been and drove felt dare i say it boring, but the stage 3 3drs and saff rwds at the same power feel like a different animal.
I think all the 4x4 drivers who slag fwd off need to learn to drive properly as 4x4 is for girls anyway
Old 26-02-2009, 05:03 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Even bolt on mods no doubt will up the performance a shit load. This is shaping up to be a big big car imo. No reviews have really said anything bad about it!
Old 26-02-2009, 05:10 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Originally Posted by Chip

Originally Posted by Rudey
he did say probably
On tarmac, a WRC car with the right gearing can get to 60 in less than 2.5 secs. The old group B monsters were even quicker.

An F1 car isn't built for quick launches. It has hardly any torque at low rpms, only two driven wheels and a very very very long first gear.

Do you still think what I said is so ridiculous? Goes to show your not really into racing stuff but quick in making fun of somebody..
Old 26-02-2009, 05:29 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I though the 0-100mph of F1 cars was around 3 seconds or so. I do believe a test was done a few years ago where an f1 car did 0-100-0 in about 5 seconds.
Old 26-02-2009, 06:26 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

Bumbaclart
Old 26-02-2009, 09:14 PM
chris wood
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

totally agree the subaru is a aweful looking motor!not sure on the top end of it,but its 0-60 time s 5.8 but i still say 25k is too much for a focus let alone nearly 30k for a top spec
a top spec escos was about 25k 12 year ago and plenty were sold!!! same 0-60 but much lower top end!
Old 26-02-2009, 09:50 PM
DazS1Turbo

On tarmac, a WRC car with the right gearing can get to 60 in less than 2.5 secs. The old group B monsters were even quicker.

An F1 car isn't built for quick launches. It has hardly any torque at low rpms, only two driven wheels and a very very very long first gear.

Do you still think what I said is so ridiculous? Goes to show your not really into racing stuff but quick in making fun of somebody..
Sorry Pete i think your very wrong on this - an F1 car will beat a rally car 0-100 and im including group wrc and Pikes peak
Old 26-02-2009, 09:51 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Originally Posted by DazS1Turbo
Sorry Pete i think your very wrong on this - an F1 car will beat a rally car 0-100 and im including group wrc and Pikes peak
0 - 100 maybe but not 0 - 60.
Old 26-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by pani_k
Even bolt on mods no doubt will up the performance a shit load. This is shaping up to be a big big car imo. No reviews have really said anything bad about it!
Sadly, most aftermark shit will ruin it. Soon their will be WR400 and something kits about, which in reality are awful and nowhere near the power claimed. Their is a review video were Fords own 260bhp ST was considerably faster than a WR300 ST. What does that tell you?

Benni.
Old 27-02-2009, 04:09 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts

Focus RS even with it's 300hp weighs over 1400kg so no wonder it 'only' does 0-60 in 5.9.

Let's be honest guys, how often do YOU do a 0-60 sprint?

I think it's one of if not THE most exciting car to be released this year, even though I can't afford one, as a previous owner of S1 + S2 RSTs.... I WANT one !!

How good does it look in white?

Sutcliffe seems to like it, a lot!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallpapers/...?AR=238360&CT=V

I'm looking forward to Drivers Republic's review of it next week, Chris Harris loved the mk1 FRS.

Last edited by GVK.; 27-02-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 27-02-2009, 06:22 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Give that man a cigar

Luciano
Old 01-03-2009, 11:08 AM
jhot80
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Imagine away then, there is very little to choose between them on track and in the real world i'd have a look at how the focus makes its boost and it's torque curve, then I 'd go drive one and a vxr and come back and tell us which is the better road car for a daily drive

Fact is the VXR has more top end but the focus has a sweet chassis masses of low down grunt

Both quick cars...........besides half a second of performance difference over laps of 2 mins or under have you compared the spec and build quality and interiors of the vxr and ST

Its not even a comparison, the Ford is much much nicer and better built
the standard vxr isnt as quick but there is a vxr-r made by thorney motorsport which does 0-60 in 4.9 and 170mph and incase you think im making it up.

http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/t..._Edition.shtml

little bit more expensive but so much quicker and looks the nuts it think. get a vauxhall warrenty as well. and for less money theres a vxr-s which is still qucik for £23,000.

Quick Reply: The new focus RS!