General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

vnt turbo,s the differace between oem and aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 18-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Rs1
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by morto
chill ya pants mate and try and learn something.. tell ya what pal i will phone the guy who rebuilds these vnt turbo,s everyday , he sells around 10 a week and when i last talked to him he agreed with everything guzzler said
Ask anyone who knows the basics of any turbocharger because thats all it is, your acting like garrett have re-invented the fucknig wheel with the vnt's. The application, adjustment and settings are very simple for anyone who has a entry level background in engineering/mechanics......or even just some plain common sense.

Posting up a list of test/set procedures that garret run though on the vnt's doesn't prove anything either as they run through almost all the same tests on convential T and GT series units, often to destruction.
Old 18-02-2009, 01:22 PM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 18-02-2009, 03:28 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok, this is a VERY interesting topic , can we loose the bitching and carry on with the tech discussion please? ... I am an Aircraft engine tech in the RAF, so have a fairly good background in this sorta stuff, but always willing to listen and learn to people who work with them everyday. We have very similar set up's on most jet engines...

With regards to setting up the vanes, the critical thing will be the Min flow position,as this wil have a big effect on the spool time of the turbo, too shallow and it will choke and stall, too wide and it will spool like a T4 on a 1000cc fiesta .....

However, I can imagine that as soon as any tuning working is carried out that the garrett original settings will be a fair way from where is optimum for the turbo and engine combo.... Be interested to see how fast/aggressive you could spool it by keeping the VGV's as tight as possible all the way to max airflow, with a good bleed-on boost controller taking charge of the VGV's , I would imagine it would be awesome if mapped correctley, and another controller for the wastegate ...

Have these reached mainstream petrol engines yet or are they still a turbo diesel only item?
Old 18-02-2009, 03:35 PM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will, i think there a porsche with vnt turbos, otherwise the hear of petrol engines is normally to much for the VNT's to be reliable.
there is a different form of VNT for some petrol cars, they run 2 actuators & the second moves one big flap in the turbo to alter the turbine affect.
Old 18-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Rs1
Advanced PassionFord User

Yep as above, porsche is the only people having relative sucess with vnt on petrol motors. I suspect its merely a cost issue and porsche can....afford to have the vanes/nozzle made in a more expensive material. I wouldn't be surprised if the werent fully inconnel units, well atleast turbine side.
Old 19-02-2009, 05:04 PM
morto
PassionFord Post Troll

i was thinking of just bleeding a tad of boost and seeing if this helps as tunners use this method to get a better boost curve, and i used this set up on my erst and you could deff feel a difference ..what do ya think guys?

and wil .......... i think what you said here is spot on

With regards to setting up the vanes, the critical thing will be the Min flow position,as this wil have a big effect on the spool time of the turbo, too shallow and it will choke and stall, too wide and it will spool like a T4 on a 1000cc fiesta .....

andy