General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Like it or not!-----m.o.t;s

Search this Thread

Old 16-02-2009 | 08:50 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Main failed on disc's But infact mine where freakin fooked
Old 16-02-2009 | 09:49 PM
L7 KOS
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Aaroncast
-----garages are looking for faults and making them to boost income!!
if they havnt much on !! they have when you turn up!!!!!!!! especialy with a few days left before the m.o.t runs out-----
ive seen garages renewing discs-why?? because they get paid for the new ones and weight the old ones in due to the past metal prices!!!!!-------------
yes youve guessed it -the old ones where ok!!!
i know i deliver parts!!!!!!!!!!!!-and when metal was at its peak so was the orders for metal products----------
i can hear the garage owners now-------------NOT ME M8 !!!!!!!!!
Aaroncast is online now Add to Aaroncast's Reputation Report Post Edit/Delete Message

People like you that give garages a bad name
Old 16-02-2009 | 11:08 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by L7 KOS
People like you that give garages a bad name
Some garages give themselves bad names to be fair..
Old 17-02-2009 | 03:41 AM
CRAIG HAYTER
BANNED

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
Lots of places do it, always have done always will do, nothing new. Thats why it is nice to have a good mate who runs his own garage, as I can trust him 100%
the exact same hereand if they say the brakes are fooked i would rather not take any chances and put any other person in my car and on the road at risk you must have been failed for disc?brakes are very important they make you slow down and stop

Last edited by CRAIG HAYTER; 17-02-2009 at 03:45 AM.
Old 17-02-2009 | 06:35 AM
coco16i
Advanced PassionFord User

Any garage worth going to will keep any parts fitted to the cars they repair so the customer can see exactly what has been replaced, even if the customer cant tell the difference between a wishbone bush and a rose bush !!!!

It's simple piece of mind for the customer to see the replaced parts and know why they were needing to be replaced, any place that just tells you " oh they were absolutely fucked and have been thrown out " obviously has something to hide.

The days of dodgy mot's and failing items that dont deserve to fail are long gone and if any mot station is failing things they shouldn't be failing they wont be testing for too much longer as VOSA are constantly looking over your shoulder these days and are determined to stamp out any non compliant testing stations.
Old 17-02-2009 | 07:15 AM
daviddunlop83

I just wish our local garages could do mot over here as it would make it much easier to pass with the mechanic we know. Only money they make over here is a £17.50 re-test fee and the guy testing your car doesnt see any of that money so he has no reason to fail it for something that doesnt need replacing.

The mot wait used to be a few months so they def didnt want you coming back as they were so busy lol
Old 17-02-2009 | 07:20 AM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Sorry for a stupid question but I'm not from the UK.

Who tests the cars anyways? The garage owner/mechanic???

Over here it's done by independent experts (the kind of type who also regularly checks safety of bridges, trains, etc. for the government).
Old 17-02-2009 | 07:22 AM
daviddunlop83

Originally Posted by PeterRST
Sorry for a stupid question but I'm not from the UK.

Who tests the cars anyways? The garage owner/mechanic???

Over here it's done by independent experts (the kind of type who also regularly checks safety of bridges, trains, etc. for the government).
In mainland uk alot of garages can test MOT's as long as they are certified to do it i think but in Northern ireland there is MOT centers that you have to go to which just test MOT they dont do any work on cars .

Last edited by daviddunlop83; 17-02-2009 at 07:24 AM.
Old 17-02-2009 | 07:46 AM
L7 KOS
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
Some garages give themselves bad names to be fair..

indeed they do mate
Old 17-02-2009 | 07:56 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by Aaroncast
-----garages are looking for faults and making them to boost income!!
if they havnt much on !! they have when you turn up!!!!!!!! especialy with a few days left before the m.o.t runs out-----
ive seen garages renewing discs-why?? because they get paid for the new ones and weight the old ones in due to the past metal prices!!!!!-------------
yes youve guessed it -the old ones where ok!!!
i know i deliver parts!!!!!!!!!!!!-and when metal was at its peak so was the orders for metal products----------
i can hear the garage owners now-------------NOT ME M8 !!!!!!!!!
Aaroncast is online now Add to Aaroncast's Reputation Report Post Edit/Delete Message

But scrap iron is £0-£4 at the mo, So are you saying they are stock piling at the mo!

I think if your stupid enough to let them do it/ pay for it with out checking over your car before it goes in then tough luck.

I really think thinks like basic mechanics should be part of your driving test (an no i dont mean point where the dip stick is)

Thinks like knowing and checking your disks and pads should be something anyone who remotley cares about their saftey and cars should be aware off.

And like i say if your to stupid to check bascis things like this on your own car then i have no sympathy for people who get "stiched" in the way
Old 17-02-2009 | 08:14 AM
L7 KOS
Regular Contributor

Ya see thats the bad thing about the motor trade, everyones a bloody mechanic