General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Like it or not!-----m.o.t;s

Search this Thread

Old 14-02-2009 | 11:36 AM
Aaroncast
BANNED

Default Like it or not!-----m.o.t;s

-----garages are looking for faults and making them to boost income!!
if they havnt much on !! they have when you turn up!!!!!!!! especialy with a few days left before the m.o.t runs out-----
ive seen garages renewing discs-why?? because they get paid for the new ones and weight the old ones in due to the past metal prices!!!!!-------------
yes youve guessed it -the old ones where ok!!!
i know i deliver parts!!!!!!!!!!!!-and when metal was at its peak so was the orders for metal products----------
i can hear the garage owners now-------------NOT ME M8 !!!!!!!!!
Aaroncast is online now Add to Aaroncast's Reputation Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Old 14-02-2009 | 11:39 AM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Not me!i have never failed a car for discs on a MOT!However doing a service on a lease car is a different matter!
Old 14-02-2009 | 11:42 AM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

what has a garage fitting parts with the owners consent got to do with mots?
Old 14-02-2009 | 11:42 AM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Why do you use so much punctuation?
Old 14-02-2009 | 11:52 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Lots of places do it, always have done always will do, nothing new. Thats why it is nice to have a good mate who runs his own garage, as I can trust him 100%
Old 14-02-2009 | 11:54 AM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Coldo
Did my head in trying to decipher that, ive only been out of bed 1 hour
Old 14-02-2009 | 12:02 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

I have never had a problem, I even point thigs out that I'm not happy/sure about as my tester(mate) is 100% straight test wise.
He was unsure/forgot recently over a change in legislation on plates recently, and looked in the bible and then said that's fine, made me remove a sticker Prior to mot, as he can't stop once mot started, not allowed he said.
I don't doubt that some are sharks but not all, he won't mot his own cars, on eof his employees does, and he failed owners car last time on 2 things.
tabetha
Old 14-02-2009 | 12:06 PM
phil4x4saph
Advanced PassionFord User

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Coldo
All those exclamation marks mean it MUST be true.
Old 14-02-2009 | 12:06 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

the garage i use now use isn't like this
Old 14-02-2009 | 01:58 PM
runty176
Part of the Furniture

thats why the garage i own doesnt do mots , people cant think i fail cars just for the work .
However i am an mot tester & i never think about failing cars unjustifiably . As the refresher courses tell you , if in any doubt pass & advise
Old 14-02-2009 | 02:01 PM
BANNED

lol youve only just worked that out ????

thats been going on before you were even swiming in your dads sacks.

but if you know a good garage its fine, im trade so doesnt happen to me anyway as we fix our own, bit hard to rip myself off
Old 14-02-2009 | 02:02 PM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by mechanic28
Not me!i have never failed a car for discs on a MOT!However doing a service on a lease car is a different matter!

Ive failed them on excessive pitting in the past but never wear.....gotta be stupidly worn to fail on wear.

I'm selfish, fuck the garage, what would I personaly gain from doing dodgy failures apart from the risk of being caught and struck off?
Old 14-02-2009 | 02:13 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

my garage who i use DEFFO dont do it,, as i sell him car parts

any MOT garage you trust will sort you out anyway before they start the test and tell you what the issues are

PMSL at selling the metal discs on though,, cats ill agree with but discs,, you shitting me

the local garages used to give away car batteries to pikeys as they got CHARGED to dispose of batteries and oil,, and them companys sell them on to be recycled

i sold my local garage a garage heater that uses waste oil to heat the place up,,, costs nothing to run and now he just has to dispose of the filters in a drum which he crushes flat to fit more in ( yes i also sold him that tool too pmsl )
Old 14-02-2009 | 07:33 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

this is hardly breaking news lol!! Many places do it, and many garages make up shite when you take your car in for repairs.

KF onces tried to charge me 400 quid for a full break overhaul (going back 10 years) when all that was required was a piece of brake pipe - cost me 25 quid all in from amate.

A local place did the sump gasket on a mates RST, (our other mate has bothced it), called him to say he needed all the gear box seals doing?? he said not I will collect it, to which he was told, fine , it's in bits, brink a box or two with you.

Luckily I have a top bloke who does my work, and if I want to can stick around and work with him.

Like any trade, there are goodies and badies.
Old 14-02-2009 | 07:35 PM
SteveH
BANNED

Originally Posted by Aaroncast
if they havnt much on !! they have when you turn up!!!!!!!! especialy with a few days left before the m.o.t runs out-----
ive seen garages renewing discs-why?? because they get paid for the new ones and weight the old ones in due to the past metal prices!!!!!-------------
i know i deliver parts!!!!!!!!!!!!-and when metal was at its peak so was the orders for metal products----------
Aaroncast is online now Add to Aaroncast's Reputation Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Where did you copy and paste this from then?
Old 14-02-2009 | 07:38 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

....and this is news ?
Old 14-02-2009 | 07:43 PM
DazS1Turbo

It's worse now than ever

Ladd i work with just got stung for Ł600 for silly little things on a 6 year old car the clown
Old 14-02-2009 | 07:44 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

you never leave the car with the garage thats doing the mot. and make sure you drop that into the conversation before the test.
Old 14-02-2009 | 07:46 PM
westus1

you cant say all garaged do this cause it just isn't true
i'm sure there is places out there doing it but not all of them
why would i want to give myself more work
i'm straight down the line with my mot's
if i fail discs its cause it needs new 1's
as for failing them to weigh in the metal i think thats just a bit ott
Old 14-02-2009 | 07:48 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

whats a disc worth scrap? 50 pence? just think if he does 10 in a week thats a whole five pounds...
Old 14-02-2009 | 07:56 PM
mad dog younge
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

for the garages that do rip people off think your self lucky you are still in a job .if people dont phone your place for parts .you would be at home sat on your arse
Old 14-02-2009 | 08:04 PM
steveturbocal

my mot tester is a mate and gets alot of mot's a year through me and my old man as my old man does work for friends, family etc at weekends so they ask us to get there car's mot'd. If he did fail them for no reason he wouldnt get extra money any way as we do all the work our selfs, the same as alot of people on here do im sure.
Old 14-02-2009 | 08:12 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Have you been in a coma for the last 10 years?

Yes, there are garages that will try to pull your pants down, as probably in every business theres some dodgy operators.

Whats you next big post, a boat called the Titanic has sunk?
Old 14-02-2009 | 08:21 PM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

MOT station 20secs from my door,

bloke is a bit grumpy, probably because he is bald
he does charge Ł50 a mot, which is steap, but he lets things slide so well worth it.
Old 14-02-2009 | 09:02 PM
Matt Baxter
Back in black!

what a tit
Old 14-02-2009 | 10:04 PM
B16 Will
its all about the 5 pot

Its realy hard to fail discs on the mot as they need to be double fucked to fail, that said, discs and pads are a great job as they are a good earner and quick money. If people are happy to trust a garage and get these jobs done, i cannot see a problem as long as the job gets done and properly, just gotta be switched on, and make sure the car doesnt supposeably need brakes every mot. Im not saying its right but people are confident knowing dodgy brakes are picked up at the mot and now they have been rectified.
Old 14-02-2009 | 10:12 PM
Matt Evans
Black Country RSOC

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
Lots of places do it, always have done always will do, nothing new. Thats why it is nice to have a good mate who runs his own garage, as I can trust him 100%
I use the same place as Will, cos the guy who runs it is a member of my local RS group.

Even though he's a "mate" i have had him give advisorys on my car, even on the most minor of things, and TBH im grateful of the heads up to get work done.

But back to the OP, this sharp practice has gone on since the dark ages, its nowt new!
Old 15-02-2009 | 07:04 AM
daveandhelenturbo

Smile

i use just mots in kent, they dont find faults what arnt there as they dont do any work on cars, only do the mots, been using them for 3 years now and never had a problem with them.
Old 15-02-2009 | 07:43 AM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
i'm glad you pointed that out Will, if your not careful theres always someone out there who will try to rip you off, its not a new thing, some mot garages have been doing it years on end,,, as for scrap metal prices, they dropped months ago
Old 15-02-2009 | 07:49 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

I heard that there is a rule coming in bout having loud exhausts on your cars.If they are past a certain DB they will fail.It sounds more like a day at a track session.
Old 15-02-2009 | 08:38 AM
B16 Will
its all about the 5 pot

There used to be an advisory for 'loud exhaust' but thats been deleated, they now ask you to compare it to a similar standard system, and fail at descression.
Old 15-02-2009 | 08:46 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

They can't fail past a certain DB as no mot places have metres!!
As said it's discretionary, so leave a crate of beer in the boot!!
My mot man has even loaned me tools so I do quicky repairs in the layby next door, so he doesn't get caught if vosa come round, can't say better than that.
tabetha
Old 15-02-2009 | 08:50 AM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

A Scooby site I occasionaly have a nosey on were having a mass panic when someone announced on there that new mot rules state if its louder than standard then its a instant fail

The amount of pub talk surrounding mot fail criteria is amazing
Old 15-02-2009 | 08:58 AM
Cam
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well done Sherlock for uncovering this unknown information on the fast fit trade.
I suggest you phone the News of the World...Who knows you might get a reward!
Old 15-02-2009 | 08:59 AM
lawnsy
PassionFord Post Troll

I am a mot tester and i think i am very fair and would NEVER fail a car just to get the garage more work.....A lot of you will be shocked at what should not fail....example SOME BUSHES they have to be really bad before you can fail them as they are not classed as dangerous and it they fail they cannot go anywere....

But i do know mot testers that fail cars on the slightest little thing that should not really fail according to mot rules..
Old 15-02-2009 | 09:03 AM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by lawnsy
I am a mot tester and i think i am very fair and would NEVER fail a car just to get the garage more work.....A lot of you will be shocked at what should not fail....example SOME BUSHES they have to be really bad before you can fail them as they are not classed as dangerous and it they fail they cannot go anywere....

But i do know mot testers that fail cars on the slightest little thing that should not really fail according to mot rules..

To be honest, the best place to go for a 'bent' (in the general publics eye)mot is VOSA them selves
Old 15-02-2009 | 09:10 AM
lawnsy
PassionFord Post Troll

LOL Yip in a way you are right there... when i done my mot course it really shocked me on how bad some things need to be in vosa's eyes before they fail......

Like VOSA'S favourite phase goes ( Pass and advise ).....
Old 15-02-2009 | 11:34 AM
slim20012
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

i got asked to put a standard exhaust on my van before the mot that way he couldnt fail it i laughed and took it else where and passed without so much as a comment on it
Old 16-02-2009 | 08:32 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

as said really, pass and advise is whats drummed into you on the course!

the amount of cars you see/hear of that have failed on bottom arms is incredible. it's almost like ALOT of garages have relised mondeo bottom arms are a money spinner so they fail before it gets on the ramp, when as far as i've seen the bushes crack, but thats about it.

i've only failed one car on front discs, because they were mega thin - solid discs.
Old 16-02-2009 | 08:40 PM
clarke5700
YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL

sorry but are you trying to put a bad name to all garages????? at my garage we will keep all the old parts and show to the customars and explaine to them whey we had to change the part in question and if they dout our oppioun we will let them take the part to get a seconed oppioun.......... this is the reason that the garage i work at has been open since the 1950s

imo THERE IS A GOOR REASON YOU ARE A DELIVERY BOY